V60 Amplifier Upgrade
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

V60 Amplifier Upgrade

I love my V60 R-Design but was never too pleased with the factory stereo (non-Harman). I recently bought an amplifier from a German company called i-Sotec; they are pretty popular in the German market for their plug and play ease of installation. I ordered the amp and the appropriate Volvo harness a week ago and received the package yesterday.
      I set up the wiring harness prior to installing it into the car; it's quite large and will be a pain to hide nicely under the seat. The connection of the i-Sotec amplifier to the factory amp took all of about 2 minutes and the sound is definitely improved. I noticed that the rear speakers are much louder and clearer now (my guess is that the factory amp "under-drives" the rear speakers). Overall the highs and mids are vastly improved but the bass seems unchanged and I'll definitely need to add a sub at some point.

A nice bonus, the amplifier is actually made in Germany. Always good to see that not everything is going to low cost countries for production.

Getting ready to set up the wiring harness:

Temporarily installed in the car, still need to hide it neatly under the seat if at all possible:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's pretty cool, assuming it connects to the output of the stock amplifier? What are the power ratings of it?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefghii View Post
      That's pretty cool, assuming it connects to the output of the stock amplifier? What are the power ratings of it?
      Yes, connects to the output of the stock amp. Spec sheet indicates 4x90 at 4 Ohm.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

One thing I have been noticing since I installed the amp is that while the volume is increased it also highlights how flat the factory system is. In my old car I could clearly make out the highs, mids, and lows but here it's just all mids (bleeding into highs at times) which have now been turned up to "11" with the addition of the aftermarket amp. I've played with the frequencies on the amp and left them at 80hz for both the fronts and rears while leaving the factory EQ flat as well.
      Long story short, the system lacks dynamically even with a better amp. Looks like I'm moving down the slippery slope of a full audio upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by FAUGrad View Post
      Looks like I'm moving down the slippery slope of a full audio upgrade.
      Yep that's a slippery slope! I'm almost done with mine, the only thing I have not yet done is address the rattles in the front doors. Waiting for the latch recall to be complete before dealing with that. Very happy with how it's sounding currently, loud, clear and the speakers disappear (not sure if that makes sense).

Overall it's not been too difficult of an install, the toughest piece was deciding to drill holes into the door/kick panel area for speaker wire.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements