SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can you live with this dent?

6K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  hfwilkesjr 
#1 ·
Made a stupid error today and while backing up out of my driveway, I stopped so I wouldn't hit a parked truck but the wheel went off the curb and it continued moving. What you see below is the damage. I'm debating on getting it fixed or leaving it. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hell no thats awful.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You are lucky it wasn't a bit higher or you'd be replacing glass

#34 ·
Maybe it's just me, but I'd personally *rather* replace the glass. I've had terrible luck with paint work, either chipping and not holding up, or looking bad from the get-go. Glass is hard to mess up. As an added bonus, many policies have zero deductible on glass. ;)

To the OP, I'd personally fix that. Looks pretty deep, but may be the pic angle.

Joe

#9 ·
Rust would be my concern. At a minimum, scrape, sand, add touch-up paint. Simple, cheap. If your worldview of your vehicle is that it is nothing but a conveyance, don't restore beyond rust prevention. The cabin is still as luxuriant and comfortable. It'll affect resale value, of course, but you may incur additional offenses to the body before then, so why not just wait and have them all addressed at that time?

#6 ·
Whats your insurance deductible?

#8 ·
Well I can tell you it will be a lot more than 500 to fix so might as well do it.

#11 ·
If mine, I would fix even without filing a claim for the reasons stated.

Also, would the closing/opening be affected or rattles? Not sure.

I can relate as I pulled a small utility trailer with my 4Runner years ago. I hit a bump on the road as I was turning onto a side road < 20 mph. Safety chains held the trailer to the vehicle but trailer tongue was up then down then up. I could not get timing right and end up with an slightly ding -totally missing the license plate which would been better. Still cost a $1000 to repair and re-paint by a highly rated body shop. Fixed it and did not need to be reminded of it daily. Moral: Triple check connections and use a pin to lock latch onto the ball.

#12 · (Edited)
Rust as others have said is more of a concern. Don't feel bad, my seatbelt failed and it kept getting slammed in door. I'd complained about it to dealer and dealer lubricated it originally. Then the seatbelt again failed to retract like before and well I have a nice big dent in the door and 2 on the jam. These things happen. In my case, it didn't affect the paint. In your case, this will rust.

Not much of a choice here but to get it fixed. Either through insurance or out of your own pocket.

FYI: PDR can't fix creases and I can't tell if this is creased. They may be able to pop it out some, but this will still probably run you the $500 on your deductible. So I see no reason to take short cuts to save a few bucks. Because the PDR may be 75% or 80%, but it doesn't restore the paint. Sure, you could wet sand the area around the chip to smooth it and clean with alcohol. Applying touch up paint to prevent rust....But ultimately, it's probably just better to bite the bullet.

#13 ·
Recommend fixing (PDR + paint fix) to prevent rust and keep the beautiful aesthetics. Good thing you are getting quotes first to see if it'll be less than your deductible - it might not be but at least you'll get some data to help your decision, especially in these times ... Good luck!

#14 ·
Nope!!! Have to fix that one with PDR first to reduce the amount of filler to be used prior to repainting. They may not need to spray the complete back lid since its a small chip area.

#17 ·
Could be cheaper to just replace the panel if the trunk panel is sold as an individual part. Popping out the old, sanding, and repainting probably cost more in labor than a new panel and repaint.

#18 ·
Let me guess their lawn looked like crap and their house was falling apart? Those it's "just a" people might live longer by saying it's only materialistic, but sheesh. If you're going to spend good money, take care of things.

#16 ·
That would make me throw up. I would not even go home with it. I would go directly to the body shop and call my insurance agent on the way to file the comp claim before I arrived. That kind of thing won't damage your claims record, only collision claims would. Get it fixed right by a pro. Body shops need the work right now. Feed them the work so they can feed their families!

#21 ·
Oh when you call you agent to file the claim, don't tell them that story. Say you were parked and came out to find it that way. This way it assures it will be a comprehensive claim, not collision.

#23 ·
Yep. Car was parked on street. Someone must have hit it. And nothing more...

#31 ·
Yeah if you can ethically live with yourself like that. But since he has already admitted fault here it is out there for the public to see.

#32 ·
Because we all know OPs name, address, telephone, and social security number. And the FBI is going to subpoena Swedespeed, Order his ISP to over the data attached to his IP, and then do a full on raid.

What bullsh*t dreamworld do you live in? There's no proof one way or another if he says he found his car damaged and filed a comprehensive. He pays his rates, I doubt it really matters.

#40 ·
@OP: You may ask that this thread be closed by the moderator.

#42 ·
#45 ·
I only wish body shops around charged that amount. The places I contact in the NYC area all wanted $1000 give or take $200.
It reflects two 'discounts':
- Covid: body shops are deemed essential so they're open. But business is slow because people have been told the sky is falling... if you venture out good deals can be found.
- Cash: Explicitly said I'll pay cash, through insurance it would have been thousands. (As with healthcare, the middle-man takes a big cut)

#46 ·
I wouldn't go through insurance because I wouldn't want to give them an excuse to raise my rates. I'd get an estimate on a dentless repair and use some touch up paint. If it were someone else's fault or another vehicle were involved I'd get it done right but not for my own victimless folly. For what its worth, I have a scratched rear bumper from when a box of tile broke as I was placing it into my trunk, I was NOT a happy camper. Just a few scratches, I barely notice it anymore. I consider it a battle scar. I would be more inclined to do something about it if it were on the tailgate which is why I suggested the dentless repair.

Either way, sorry it happened and good luck with whatever you decide. :beer:

#48 ·
How much were quotes to fix dent + paint?

#51 ·
Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) as some have already stated will work magic on that. You will not even know it was there (maybe except if the paint actually got broken which will require some touch up). I am speaking, unfortunately, from many experiences with different cars over the years. DO NOT allow a body shop to do bondo or even replace the entire door. It's simply not needed. This PDR should also cost you less than your $500 deductible.

#54 ·
PDR can't fix creases. So if these are indeed creases, and not the angle of the photo, OP doesn't have many choices.

1. Replace the panel and repaint
2. Have as much of dent popped out by PDR and Bondo rest
3. Bondo the dent area.

#55 ·
I could not leave that wound on such a beautiful vehicle. I have a feeling that you feel the same way. Too bad that back tailgate isn't like our XC-90's front fenders and hood, (they can NOT rust because they are NOT steel. Probably aluminum or sheet molded compound. ) Idea: send us before and after photos after the repair. Stay safe out there. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.