Is anyone using a battery charger/tender on their SPA V60/S60?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I'm just wondering if I should as I have basically stopped driving due to COVID-19. It looks like Ctek and NOCO are the 2 best brands. Any others that people use?
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) | Sport Suspension

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a CTEK 7002

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

I am using a Deltran Battery Tender.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post
      I'm just wondering if I should as I have basically stopped driving due to COVID-19. It looks like Ctek and NOCO are the 2 best brands. Any others that people use?
      I use BatteryMinder Plus.
      Has kept my 07' V90 battery going for 13 years.
      The 18' V90CC is hooked up 24/7 as is the V70

Using the CTek 7002 and I’ve been happy with it.

I got this one because it supports AGM batteries, which our cars have. But there are others that do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dodd View Post
      +1 for me.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Forget Noco they are garbage. I have 2 cteks one for my Lithium and one for AGM. No, issues and work great.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Ctek seems to be the go-to battery minder, if only because it's made in Sweden. I've had one for a few months, and it works splendidly. I have installed it permanently, i.e. secured the Ctek main unit to an exterior wall--I don't have a garage--near an outlet and within Ctek extension-cord range of the car. The under-hood wiring terminates under the rear edge of the hood, near the driver's-side wiper. Others seem to prefer leading the wiring to the front grille, but I prefer the invisibility of the hookup.

Ctek is the most recommended choice here in the UK. Well engineered and proper balanced charging/-reconditioning regimes. A bit expensive at around 75 pounds sterling but worth every penny IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Forget Noco they are garbage. I have 2 cteks one for my Lithium and one for AGM. No, issues and work great.
      Personal experience? I have been using a NOCO G3500 for about a month and it seems to work as intended. It will work with any battery: Lithium, AGM, etc. The best part, I paid $35 shipped. We will see how long it lasts...

I have two CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 battery chargers and leave them connected 24/7 to both of my Volvos, which now get driven each once a week at most. The newest 5.0 models are optimized for cars with two AGM batteries, which should be charged only from the front (support) battery red terminal and a frame (non-battery) grounding point as per Volvo's instructions. They retain their settings after the initial use, do a full top-up charge quickly, and auto start-start works properly shortly after startup. CTEK is a Swedish firm, the packaging and documentation look very Scandinavian in design, but the chargers themselves are made in China. No big surprise there.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Dodd View Post
      Same here. I am using the gator clamps to the positive and negative terminals under the hood.

Not sure why one member called NOCO garbage, but I have several 3500's and one 7200, been using these on my M2 & Z4 for several years. These will handle AGM's, and I always have the quick connect setup under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeisinger View Post
      Same here. I am using the gator clamps to the positive and negative terminals under the hood.
      I do the same on my '19 S60 T6. I was able to neatly "hard wire" the quick connect to my wife's '16 S60 T5. To make things easier for her in case of emergency, I connected another quick connect end to a little jump box.

Quote Originally Posted by EMRtek View Post
      Personal experience? I have been using a NOCO G3500 for about a month and it seems to work as intended. It will work with any battery: Lithium, AGM, etc. The best part, I paid $35 shipped. We will see how long it lasts...
      There is no way I would ever trust a 35 dollar charger on a lithium battery. I've had two Noco jumper packs that were complete garbage, friends with noco chargers that didn't have the best things to say.

I run an Anti-gravity Rs30, Anti-gravity told me they only recommend Ctek or Optimate.

Very good thread here, being a detailer I need good tenders for clients cars - https://www.autopia.org/forums/gener...s-noco-vs.html

Also I've yet to see a Noco charger at any exotic storage warehouse yet lol.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Another vote for CTEK

I have a 2018 V90CC T5 whose stop/start function and climate preconditioning feature had both stopped working. After seeing the discussion here and in an earlier thread on a similar subject, I took the plunge and ordered a CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 a couple weeks ago, since this model offers an AGM-specific mode and since another user reported it cured his V90's Start/Stop malfunctions. Sure enough, after the first cycle with the CTEK last weekend (which lasted well over 15 hours, so budget some time!) Start/Stop and climate preconditioning were both working again, and continued working fine all week. I've got the CTEK on the V90 again now, and will make this part of my every-weekend ritual. This was $85 very well spent, and I couldn't be happier.

When I ordered mine from CTEK for the XC60 T5 they suggested to fo for the CT5. not sure what is the difference between the MXS 5.0 and the CT5, but mine was more expensive at the time and supposingly a newer model. Hope it does the job.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      I have two CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 battery chargers and leave them connected 24/7 to both of my Volvos, which now get driven each once a week at most. The newest 5.0 models are optimized for cars with two AGM batteries, which should be charged only from the front (support) battery red terminal and a frame (non-battery) grounding point as per Volvo's instructions. They retain their settings after the initial use, do a full top-up charge quickly, and auto start-start works properly shortly after startup. CTEK is a Swedish firm, the packaging and documentation look very Scandinavian in design, but the chargers themselves are made in China. No big surprise there.
      Quote Originally Posted by ThirdDenverVolvo View Post
      I have a 2018 V90CC T5 whose stop/start function and climate preconditioning feature had both stopped working. After seeing the discussion here and in an earlier thread on a similar subject, I took the plunge and ordered a CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 a couple weeks ago, since this model offers an AGM-specific mode and since another user reported it cured his V90's Start/Stop malfunctions. Sure enough, after the first cycle with the CTEK last weekend (which lasted well over 15 hours, so budget some time!) Start/Stop and climate preconditioning were both working again, and continued working fine all week. I've got the CTEK on the V90 again now, and will make this part of my every-weekend ritual. This was $85 very well spent, and I couldn't be happier.
      Further to my earlier comments: after leaving the CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 chargers connected continuously to both of my current Volvos for several weeks, as several other forum members were doing, I found that auto/stop/start ceased to function again, as it had before I used the chargers. I disconnected the chargers and, after a day or so, A/S/S once again worked and has worked for the past week without further charging. Go figure. It may be that the CTEK AGM charging algorithm doesn't work well with the Volvo batteries. Perhaps A/S/S doesn't work if the batteries are over-charged. I dunno. I would now recommend that the charger be used only as needed when the support battery has become depleted, or IAE only occasionally rather than continuously. As always YMMV, but at least I am working from two data points on MY 2018 and 2020 Volvos.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Jay Leno's Garage did a piece on the CTEK several years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZES5CQz9I

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjw0sshSubE
      Last edited by 97redz3; 05-26-2020 at 04:19 PM.
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

tender install.............

I bought a CTEK tender to install in my '19 S60. The cable to connect to the terminals in front engine bay is too short to reach to front of grill. Also the cable ends, to connect to terminals, are designed for a regular battery with terminals on the top. How do I get this installed with the "permanent " cable??? Not the clasps...

anyone have pics of their install?????

thanks.

Check my reply for the install.

Stop/start finally works
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 06-15-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Check my reply for the install.

Stop/start finally works
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
      Nicely done. Did you secure the connector to the grill or do you just hold it with the weather cover?
      Last edited by MDicnMan; 06-15-2020 at 11:18 AM.
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

It may be that the CTEK AGM charging algorithm doesn't work well with the Volvo batteries.
      Hard to imagine, since Ctek is a Swedish company.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements