OSD /hopped over from BMW ED
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Cool OSD /hopped over from BMW ED

Hi all, so just found out BMW just eliminated their European Delivery program starting in fall. Was planning on doing my second next spring so now I'm very much contemplating switching over to Volvo. Currently have BMW X1 or the wife does anyways I'm thinking XC40 .... didn't know an equivalent to Bimmerfest Volvo group existed !

Okay looks like lots of stuff to read. 1st big question and I'm sorry if its been repeated (I will start reading this weekend) - are there particular or recommended dealers or just my local dealer to go thru and can handle it ? When I did the Munich trip for my BMW, I basically had to "educate" my sales man on how to do it so I can pretty much handle myself.

TIA

6rings

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Volvo's OSD program is straight forward as shown on the volvocars.com web site. Suggest adding State to your signature to allow more informed replies. OR use the sponsor of this forum, Bob Kennedy at University Volvo.
      Current Rides:
      2020 XC60 OSD Direct Shipment. Pending arrival at dealer
      2018 V60CC T5 OSD, Mussel Blue, My Wheels
      2014 XC60, Black CPO. Daughter's Car.

Previous Rides:
      2016 XC60 AWD T6, OSD, Flamenco Red Metallic. Wife's Car.
      2014 XC70, OSD, Seashell Metallic. My Wheels.
      2010 XC60 OSD, Orinoco Blue Metallic. Wife's Car
      2007 S40T5, Black, CPO. Daughter's Car

Quote Originally Posted by 6rings View Post
      Hi all, so just found out BMW just eliminated their European Delivery program starting in fall. Was planning on doing my second next spring so now I'm very much contemplating switching over to Volvo. Currently have BMW X1 or the wife does anyways I'm thinking XC40 .... didn't know an equivalent to Bimmerfest Volvo group existed !

Okay looks like lots of stuff to read. 1st big question and I'm sorry if its been repeated (I will start reading this weekend) - are there particular or recommended dealers or just my local dealer to go thru and can handle it ? When I did the Munich trip for my BMW, I basically had to "educate" my sales man on how to do it so I can pretty much handle myself.

TIA

6rings
      Volvo's OSD program is terrific.....knowledgeable sales people for this program are hit and miss. Bob Kennedy would be an excellent option for you!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

One more vote for Bob K from University Volvo.

Cool guy (tm)

/kleks

TIA

6rings
      We did exactly what you are considering. Replaced my wife's X1 with an XC40. She loves it. We were going to do another ED this year but due to BMW's shortsightedness, that has passed. The experience of driving my M2 throughout Germany was a ball. We took the XC40 throughout the Baltics a year ago and that trip was a blast. You'll find Volvo's OSD program to be a more cost effective and complete package. The key is finding a knowledgeable CA. Do not settle for a convenient one. Where are you located?

+1 as to Bob Kennedy at University Volvo in Charlotte, NC. You can't do any better. Don't trust an OSD order to a rookie.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

Very short sighted of BMW - I'm located in New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by 808dakine View Post
      We did exactly what you are considering. Replaced my wife's X1 with an XC40. She loves it. We were going to do another ED this year but due to BMW's shortsightedness, that has passed. The experience of driving my M2 throughout Germany was a ball. We took the XC40 throughout the Baltics a year ago and that trip was a blast. You'll find Volvo's OSD program to be a more cost effective and complete package. The key is finding a knowledgeable CA. Do not settle for a convenient one. Where are you located?
      Glad your wife likes the XC40, mine really likes her X1 but I'm hoping to persuade her, I'll have to show her your reply. I'm in New Hampshire... there's one dealer that's pretty convenient to me but haven't visited them yet so don't know their OSD experience.

I drove a 335 convertible from Munich to Paris and back thru Switzerland and it was the 2 of the best weeks of my life. This was in 2013. I remember the process was somewhat difficult with the dealer as they didn't make a whole lot of money on the ED. Is this the same with OSD ? Also the wait after drop off was about 8 weeks. Same with Volvo ?

Glad your wife likes the XC40, mine really likes her X1 but I'm hoping to persuade her, I'll have to show her your reply. I'm in New Hampshire... there's one dealer that's pretty convenient to me but haven't visited them yet so don't know their OSD experience.

I drove a 335 convertible from Munich to Paris and back thru Switzerland and it was the 2 of the best weeks of my life. This was in 2013. I remember the process was somewhat difficult with the dealer as they didn't make a whole lot of money on the ED. Is this the same with OSD ? Also the wait after drop off was about 8 weeks. Same with Volvo ?
      Hi 6rings. We are a longtime BMW family so I was amazed how much she likes the XC40 more than she did her X1. Especially surprising since she really liked the X1. What sold her was seeing all the very smart, unique features available on the XC40. Volvo really did well with the new CMA design. Check out the car, in person, with someone that knows the car should ease convincing her. We never thought we'd own a Volvo, ever. So there you go.

Finding a knowledgeable CA that you click with certainly makes for an enjoyable experience. Since you are in NH, if you are open to picking your car up in North Carolina, then Bob Kennedy is clearly a favorite. Yes, it normally takes about 8 weeks to move the car to the east coast from Sweden. The variable is how much COVID-19 will disrupt routine. Since you enjoyed your ED trip, I'd highly recommend adding an OSD to the mix. You wouldn't regret it. I think driving through Sweden, Denmark, and Norway was a great experience. If you have more questions or would like more detail, use the private message (PM) at the top of the page. I'd be happy to expand on our experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 808dakine View Post
      Hi 6rings. We are a longtime BMW family so I was amazed how much she likes the XC40 more than she did her X1. Especially surprising since she really liked the X1. What sold her was seeing all the very smart, unique features available on the XC40. Volvo really did well with the new CMA design. Check out the car, in person, with someone that knows the car should ease convincing her. We never thought we'd own a Volvo, ever. So there you go.

Finding a knowledgeable CA that you click with certainly makes for an enjoyable experience. Since you are in NH, if you are open to picking your car up in North Carolina, then Bob Kennedy is clearly a favorite. Yes, it normally takes about 8 weeks to move the car to the east coast from Sweden. The variable is how much COVID-19 will disrupt routine. Since you enjoyed your ED trip, I'd highly recommend adding an OSD to the mix. You wouldn't regret it. I think driving through Sweden, Denmark, and Norway was a great experience. If you have more questions or would like more detail, use the private message (PM) at the top of the page. I'd be happy to expand on our experience.
      Thanks for sharing......it's great hearing stories like this!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      +1 as to Bob Kennedy at University Volvo in Charlotte, NC. You can't do any better. Don't trust an OSD order to a rookie.
      Yep...Bob IS the guy to work with for sure! Volvo's OSD facility is not quite up to BMW's Welt but you're treated equally as well from airport pickup (from your free 2 coach airfare tickets), to overnight hotel, hotel breakfast and Volvo pickup/transport to Volvo's OSD center. Paperwork, vehicle presentation, Swedish meatball lunch and factory tour...and then you have the same 2 weeks of included insurance (can be extended at your cost). Return your new Volvo to Gothenburg for return shipment at no cost or utilize a number of other European dropoff locations with an associated drop off fee.

Its been some years ago we did Volvo's OSD program for our then new 2005 V50 but presume the experience is similar. Enjoy!
      '15.5 Volvo V60 XC Platinum CPO
      '15 MINI Roadster S
      (Former: 1980 245 DL 4 speed OD; 2005 V50 T5 AWD GT
      OSD June 2005)

BMW North America
      That was definitely a major bummer for anyone who had European Delivery on their bucket list. I'm super glad I did my Euro Delivery in 2016 (got a M4 in Individual custom color). BTW, I've been a BMW guy for years, and still have my M4, two BMW motorcycles. I got a 2019 S60 last year, and love the car. I feel as BMW grew bigger, and bigger, it lost some of the charm, but Volvo still has that small euro car company charm, and not over commercialized. I was planning on doing a second BMW Euro Delivery for my GF's car, but we'll now be doing a Volvo OSD. Mercedes still has their Euro delivery, but neither of us are Benz people (great cars, just not my thing).

Welcome to the Volvo board!

...I'm located in New Hampshire
      So is Jaime Rios @ Volvo Cars Keene in East Swanzey, NH.

//Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by billxc70 View Post
      Volvo's OSD program is straight forward as shown on the volvocars.com web site. Suggest adding State to your signature to allow more informed replies. OR use the sponsor of this forum, Bob Kennedy at University Volvo.
      I'm in the same boat as the OP. Unfortunately, newbies can't access their profile to indicate their location until we've made a few posts.

I've done 3 BMW European Deliveries and am heartbroken that the program has ended. I had become a loyal BMW customer. As much as I love the make, picking up the car in Europe and being treated like royalty was a huge incentive to stick with BMW. Termination of the program piqued my interest in Volvo. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the positive reviews of the XC40. No offense meant but I always thought of Volvos as rather boxy but efficient vehicles. The Swedish version of Toyota: appliances for getting from one point to another. Even my wife likes the look of the XC40 R. She has tentatively given me the go-ahead to explore the feasibility of doing a Spring 2021 OSD.

Like 6Rings I found that my nearest BMW dealership really had no idea how their company's European Delivery program worked. I had to direct my sales guy through it with help from the good folks at Bimmerfest (many of whom I think have migrated here). Being new to Volvo I'm hoping to find that kind of help on these forums as well. The first step is getting recommendations for an OSD knowledgeable local dealership in Eastern Pennsylvania or Northern NJ. My biggest concern is how they would handle the trade-in of my current BMW X1 while I'm cavorting in Europe then waiting weeks until my new XC40 arrives stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by gluhwein View Post
      I'm in the same boat as the OP. Unfortunately, newbies can't access their profile to indicate their location until we've made a few posts.

I've done 3 BMW European Deliveries and am heartbroken that the program has ended. I had become a loyal BMW customer. As much as I love the make, picking up the car in Europe and being treated like royalty was a huge incentive to stick with BMW. Termination of the program piqued my interest in Volvo. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the positive reviews of the XC40. No offense meant but I always thought of Volvos as rather boxy but efficient vehicles. The Swedish version of Toyota: appliances for getting from one point to another. Even my wife likes the look of the XC40 R. She has tentatively given me the go-ahead to explore the feasibility of doing a Spring 2021 OSD.

Like 6Rings I found that my nearest BMW dealership really had no idea how their company's European Delivery program worked. I had to direct my sales guy through it with help from the good folks at Bimmerfest (many of whom I think have migrated here). Being new to Volvo I'm hoping to find that kind of help on these forums as well. The first step is getting recommendations for an OSD knowledgeable local dealership in Eastern Pennsylvania or Northern NJ. My biggest concern is how they would handle the trade-in of my current BMW X1 while I'm cavorting in Europe then waiting weeks until my new XC40 arrives stateside.
      Regards a trade in: According to Volvo an OSD car is to be paid in full a month before pickup in Sweden or when the VIN number is available. I guess it depends on your needs for cash or continued use of your BMW.

Bill
      Last edited by billxc70; 06-13-2020 at 07:26 AM.
      Current Rides:
      2020 XC60 OSD Direct Shipment. Pending arrival at dealer
      2018 V60CC T5 OSD, Mussel Blue, My Wheels
      2014 XC60, Black CPO. Daughter's Car.

Previous Rides:
      2016 XC60 AWD T6, OSD, Flamenco Red Metallic. Wife's Car.
      2014 XC70, OSD, Seashell Metallic. My Wheels.
      2010 XC60 OSD, Orinoco Blue Metallic. Wife's Car
      2007 S40T5, Black, CPO. Daughter's Car

Quote Originally Posted by billxc70 View Post
      Regards a trade in: According to Volvo an OSD car is to be paid in full a month before pickup in Sweden or when the VIN number is available. I guess it depends on your needs for cash or continued use of your BMW.

Bill
      Thanks Bill. I guess I'll have to consider a company like Cars.com or Auto Trader then.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements