Delay in start if idle more than 3 days
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Delay in start if idle more than 3 days

I have a new 2020 xc60 and I’ve noticed that if I let it sit idle for 3+ days, there’s a significant delay in getting it to start. The console comes on when I get in car, however nothing happens when I go to start the ignition. I estimate that I have to press the brake and try to turn on 3-4times when this happens. Is this normal whatsoever?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you pushing the brake hard enough?

When I let my XC60 sit for several days the brake booster bleeds all it's air and the pedal becomes quite firm. If I apply normal pressure, the engine doesn't start because the safety switch isn't being depressed on the brake pedal. If I push hard then the car starts.

Make sure you're pushing the brake HARD!

Never had this issue - mine sits for several days at a time as I work from home and don't get out much....

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Are you pushing the brake hard enough?

When I let my XC60 sit for several days the brake booster bleeds all it's air and the pedal becomes quite firm. If I apply normal pressure, the engine doesn't start because the safety switch isn't being depressed on the brake pedal. If I push hard then the car starts.

Make sure you're pushing the brake HARD!
      +1
      I noticed that it happens after 6-7 days on mine. Really noticeable on the pedal.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription Onyx Black

Tcrew21, I looked up your model and see you have a 2020 T5. [wanted to check if you were in a T8 as that may be different]

I park my T6 in my garage and have not had the problem you describe – and I have let it sit for 3+ days too, but not over 6. BUT I do lock my car, and there has been a discussion about power draw of locked vs unlocked....
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...t=battery+lock

Also have you tried starting your car remotely with the VOC app? I wonder how that would work for you?
      Last edited by VeeXCee; 05-14-2020 at 06:30 PM.

My wife’s XC60 T5 does the same and we always lock it. There was another similar thread on here but I don’t think a solution or cause was ever found.

Yep, I’ve had the same thing happen, and it seems to be the break pedal issue described up thread. You have to apply an oddly firm amount of pressure to get the safety switch to notice you are pressing the break.
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum / Osmium Grey Metallic / Convenience / Vision / Advanced / 12.3 + Nav / Heated Seats + Steering Wheel / 20” Wheels / Polestar

Past: ’15.5 T5 S60 / ’16 T5 XC60

I see a trend, and hopefully this information is helpful to many as many of us have had our Volvos under driven. As p07r0457 identified and others have agreed...brake pedal pressure is the likely solution. So thanks to all for sharing their experience. During this very surreal and unprecedented time when we are not driving, I will personally note this if I take an extended vacation ( I wish!)

I haven't experienced this with my 2018 T8. During this lockdown period it has sat idle for up to 7 days and started right up normally.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

This happens with my T5. After 3 days, if you log in to Volvo On Call, it should show you that the vehicle is in standby mode. It says it can take up to an hour to send and receive commands (assuming bc it turns off certain vehicle electronics to avoid draining the battery). When I do go to start the car up, the brake pedal is hard and I have to really step on it when turning the start/stop knob for it to turn over. If I dont step on it hard enough, it just turns on the ACC mode.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements