Springs Parts numbers
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Springs Parts numbers

Hey all,

So I took my '07 C30 T5 to the dealership because it's had some issues for a while now. Turns out my two front springs are broken and need to be replaced. They quoted me on the parts and the springs alone are about $500 CAD, So i'm looking at aftermarket stuff. BUT for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to see what is compatible and what fits what!!

This is the coil spring part number that the shop wrote on the quote: https://parts.volvocars.ca/p/Volvo_2.../30714368.html

I'm looking on Autopartsway Canada to find similar parts to it. Is there a way I can see if this:

https://www.autopartsway.ca/partdeta...ts/coil-spring

Is the same as the OEM Volvo part? If it fits? The Lesjofors part has UPC numbers, "Interchange" numbers (whatever that means) but I don't know how I can confirm that they'll fit properly.

Anyway, I'm quite a novice to all this so I hope maybe somebody has some tips on finding aftermarket parts for their c30!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just get the Eibach spring set from TireRack or similar source. All C30's have a product plate with a code # for the spring designation - for the specific setup your car came with. Aftermarket replacements won't be the same spring rate as stock anyway, they will likely be whatever they have that matches the OD & unsprung height, if you're lucky . Or, buy the OEM part from the dealer network - if you give them the VIN they can confirm the correct spring for your car.

I found Eibach spring set from a Canadian source. It sells it in a set of 4 but the dealer is only saying I need to replace the front - I guess I can just save the other two?

Do you think you could enlighten me on what the specs mean? It says: "Front: 1.2in, Rear: 1.7in".
      I also looked at another set for the C30 , the H&R springs seen here:

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/h-r-s...l-springs.html

and they say the drop height is "Front 1.3in, Rear 1.3in".

What do the differences in their drop heights mean for me?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmjwilson View Post
      I found Eibach spring set from a Canadian source. It sells it in a set of 4 but the dealer is only saying I need to replace the front - I guess I can just save the other two?

Do you think you could enlighten me on what the specs mean? It says: "Front: 1.2in, Rear: 1.7in".
      I also looked at another set for the C30 , the H&R springs seen here:

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/h-r-s...l-springs.html

and they say the drop height is "Front 1.3in, Rear 1.3in".

What do the differences in their drop heights mean for me?
      We've owned a 2008 C30 T5 going on 2 years now. My parents purchased it for my 2 sons so they can learn to drive a manual. It will default to one of the boys and the other I purchased a 2003 S80 T6.

DYI replacement work done on the C30 so far:

Rear shocks & mounts

Front struts

DYI Alignment - Did a couple on the Hunter Alignment Rack while at Acura in the mid 90's. Combined short one year entry level tech career at Pepboys then Acura.

Front & rear brakes and rotors

Rear sway bar and end links

Rear adjustable camber arms and lower control arm - Shares same parts with Mazda
      https://www.1aauto.com/ford-mazda-vo...=914414&y=2007
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWxrUMPnW90

Not sure why your spring broke but my suggestion for you is to go with something simple and stock. Perhaps it's salt or poor road conditions but I do know when the front passenger strut went bad the car would easily bottom out with a bang. I am really not that familiar with the C30 as it has not needed much maintenance but I've owned a 98 S70 T5 and have done most major maintenance on it so that the C30 shouldn't be too bad to work on.

See if you can purchase the following so the entire front assembly is new. Should also have a lifetime warranty. A good mechanic can install both sides in an hour.

Removal is really simple if you have the tool at 2:10 otherwise you will waste a lot of time energy. I tried to find something to do the same and wasted a lot time. Whoever works on your car show them the video or they will be beating the steering knuckle.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-swy5KB-DM

Here the mechanic use a socket at 4:10 to widen the knuckle also for easy removal although he took more parts apart. C30 is also a P1 chassis.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD6JbTb5SfI

Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly Right
      http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/172315

Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly Left
      http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/172316

http://www.monroe.com/en-US

Again, a good mechanic can do both sides in less than an hour if they use the tool at 2:00 in the video.
      Last edited by MoVolvos; 05-22-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Canada though so I'm not sure how realistic it would be for me to order the Monroe strut assembly, but I didn't realize it was that doable as well if I had the tool. By replacing the strut assembly itself that means I don't have to worry about the dangers of the spring, right? I've heard it can be dangerous because of the pressure it has on it

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Canada though so I'm not sure how realistic it would be for me to order the Monroe strut assembly, but I didn't realize it was that doable as well if I had the tool. By replacing the strut assembly itself that means I don't have to worry about the dangers of the spring, right? I've heard it can be dangerous because of the pressure it has on it
      They make it look simple and it could be but I struggled with it even though I've been working on cars since 1978, age perhaps . If you have several DIY brake services under your belt and the tools you should be able to do the work yourself otherwise have a repair shop install the entire assembly. Monroe sells in Canada so you should be able to purchase those locally, link example below.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/dealer-l...AUTOPARTSSTORE
      -

The front struts should be good for over 100K miles. Putting Monroe junk in their place is foolish, IMO. Neither the spring rates nor the shock valving will match the C30 spec. They probably make one that fits all P1, which likely means they average the spring rate / valving to whatever is most common - so you C30 will probably ride like a turd. Maybe you're OK with that.

I was looking at the Eibach and leaning towards those, but it is pretty costly, but at least if I needed to replace the rears I would have those sitting around so it might be worth the investment. I definitely don't want any junk in there

I was looking at the Eibach and leaning towards those, but it is pretty costly, but at least if I needed to replace the rears I would have those sitting around so it might be worth the investment. I definitely don't want any junk in there
      The Eibach set is cheap compared to buying individual Volvo springs, since that is the way Volvo sells them.

I would change all four, to keep the ride quality even. The Eibach set lowers the car slightly, so changing just the fronts is not ideal. The rears are very easy to replace, labor should not be much, if the shop is honest, I'm assuming you are not doing the work. If you are, you need to buy spring compressors to do the front. None of this is difficult work.

-
      Hi jmjwilson, from your post I'm am assuming you may not have the experience nor the tools. I am also assuming you are not familiar with suspension dynamics nor have been around cars that are lowered or felt the difference with the various brands installed. Not with this car but I've installed Bilstein, Boge, KYB, Gabriel, Monroe and Koni and I am sure some other off brand's. As mentioned before not sure how both springs were broken whether rust or bad roads or in combination you don't want to lower the car. A good set of lowering springs will have progressive rate but it will still ride firmer for some but kidney jarring firm for others.

Since you are having a mechanic do the work it is best to keep it as stock as possible. I've read guys who have change their C30 suspension setup 3 times before they found their balance. It you like a firmer ride than stock then try, I mean experiment if money is not an issue. These cars don't change much from the various engines and suspension. The numbers and colors on the springs may have differing values but it can also mean where they were sourced. Unless Volvo can provide info on spring rate then they all should be about the same especially if you're changing both fronts. It will not mean much unless you are capable of feeling more neutral to oversteer by inflating the rear tires and deflating the fronts.

The goal of the Monroe's are for availability, warranty, ease and cost of replacement. If money and time is not an issue by all means experiment. Sach are the original struts and Bilstein is kind of the go to for an upgrade but people have differing opinions and how they like the ride even in stock form. If you decide to lower it be sure to check that the struts that are compatible with lowering springs. I hope to have helped with your questions with where you are at rather than just making the car where I or everyone is saying where it should be at. Suspension change not the same as I like one set of rim vs another.
      -

-
      If you like the looks of a lowered car then ride quality is secondary. If you want a better handling suspension without sacrificing the ride there are other factors and ways.
      -
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...R-design-owner
      -

Quote Originally Posted by MoVolvos View Post
      Unless Volvo can provide info on spring rate then they all should be about the same
      There were at least three different factory spring options for our cars, they all have different characteristics. I can assure you that the "sport" springs are a lot stiffer than the "comfort" ones. Even though there is only 20mm difference in the ride hight, the car drives very different. The factory shocks will also be matched as appropriate to the different spring rates.

-
      If you like the looks of a lowered car then ride quality is secondary. If you want a better handling suspension without sacrificing the ride there are other factors and ways.
      -
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...R-design-owner
      -
      I am not sure I want it lowered, I prefer a bit more functionality

Quote Originally Posted by c30c30 View Post
      There were at least three different factory spring options for our cars, they all have different characteristics. I can assure you that the "sport" springs are a lot stiffer than the "comfort" ones. Even though there is only 20mm difference in the ride hight, the car drives very different. The factory shocks will also be matched as appropriate to the different spring rates.
      I am in contact with the shop and they are going to get some more details about the springs for me so hopefully I will have some more info to work with. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by c30c30 View Post
      When my brother sold his P71 Crown Vic Interceptor which he purchased with 8 miles to my cousin, my cousin replaced the stock Bilsteins with Monroe. My cousin thought the car drove plushier and it did. My cousin's wife did not notice and neither did my elderly aunt as it is not on their radar. From the beginning the OP jmjwilson was looking for and "prefer a bit more functionality". He has not worked on nor have tools besides experienced with lowered cars. His goal is to replace the broken springs and struts at a reasonable price. Unless you or jmjwilson have tried all 3 factory springs it's difficult to say how differently will the car drive. There is the issue of 17 vs 18 inch rims and what type of tires are on the car.

Changing to lowering springs is expensive and you have to use struts that will work. The majority of aftermarket manufactures (name brand or others) use one part number and not 3 for the 3 factory springs. The goal is to help the OP with what he is looking for and that is neither Stance nor Stiff ride or potentially Kidney Stiff ride for him if he has no familiarity with performance cars.
      -

When my brother sold his P71 Crown Vic Interceptor which he purchased with 8 miles to my cousin, my cousin replaced the stock Bilsteins with Monroe. My cousin thought the car drove plushier and it did. My cousin's wife did not notice and neither did my elderly aunt as it is not on their radar. From the beginning the OP jmjwilson was looking for and "prefer a bit more functionality". He has not worked on nor have tools besides experienced with lowered cars. His goal is to replace the broken springs and struts at a reasonable price. Unless you or jmjwilson have tried all 3 factory springs it's difficult to say how differently will the car drive. There is the issue of 17 vs 18 inch rims and what type of tires are on the car.

Changing to lowering springs is expensive and you have to use struts that will work. The majority of aftermarket manufactures (name brand or others) use one part number and not 3 for the 3 factory springs. The goal is to help the OP with what he is looking for and that is neither Stance nor Stiff ride or potentially Kidney Stiff ride for him if he has no familiarity with performance cars.
      -
      Just to clarify, the mechanic at the shop sent me the part number for the replacement and it is called, on the Volvo site, "Coil Spring (Front, Lower)" (# is 30714368) so, I think my car was lowered or something, but it doesn't seem to be aftermarket? Unless all 07 C30 T5's used that part number and that type of spring. I don't really know

Just to clarify, the mechanic at the shop sent me the part number for the replacement and it is called, on the Volvo site, "Coil Spring (Front, Lower)" (# is 30714368) so, I think my car was lowered or something, but it doesn't seem to be aftermarket? Unless all 07 C30 T5's used that part number and that type of spring. I don't really know
      As I said earlier, if you want to be sure you get the correct Volvo spring that matches what is in the car, then call a Volvo dealer such as Tasca & give them your VIN number. That will ensure the correct parts.

https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Volv...GR-361697.html

As you can see, Volvo made a range of springs depending on the market & application. You need the product code to get the correct spring, However Tasca, etc., made be able to figure it out from just the VIN.

-
      Been working on cars since 78 and have never seen a broken spring let alone 2 whether Japanese, German, American or Swedish cars. The part number you gave is listed in this Canada Volvo site.

https://www.volvooftorontoparts.ca/p.../30714368.html

Also says the following for the springs:

"Suspension Coil Spring
      Your coil springs are not especially prone to failure, but if they have been cut, clamped, or heated to have the vehicle lowered, your 2007 Volvo C30 might benefit from replacing the strut springs. Excessive rust can make the springs more prone to failure. Contact your local Volvo service department to have your suspension system evaluated."

Is this Volvo's own legal department warning about lowering springs in general? You should ask your mechanic to see why he thinks both failed at the same time. Was it a huge bump in the road, rust or perhaps defective springs. When you examine a crack in the spring and see rust in parts of the crack and then cleaner metal that tells you it had progressively broke. Meaning a hairline and then got rusty before a bump snapped it. If the spring has clean metal at the break it means it just snap all of a sudden which is not good regardless. Just buy a set of springs in pairs you should be fine.

Ford used a bunch of springs that are of the same size on Mazda, Volvo, Ford and potentially Jags. The color codes will indicate differing rate due to engine size but may also mean differing lot from different manufacturers. Volvo do not make springs but are sourced and yours is from Spain. Except for the lowering and R Springs most aftermarket specifies one Spring and Strut for all C30 AND R-Design. They always recommend changing in pairs. Can't legally say must / force customers to buy parts not broken. Have your mechanic check the rear springs for cracks and color to see if it is the lowering springs also. If it is and you buy regular springs up front the steering will feel lighter more responsive beside giving you more neutral steer which is not a bad thing. Ultimately you and your mechanic should decide what works best for you.
      -
      EDIT: From Spain if FCP's picture is correct.
      -
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-c30-30714368
      -
      Last edited by MoVolvos; 05-28-2020 at 10:51 PM.

-
      Been working on cars since 78 and have never seen a broken spring let alone 2 whether Japanese, German, American or Swedish cars. The part number you gave is listed in this Canada Volvo site.

https://www.volvooftorontoparts.ca/p.../30714368.html

Also says the following for the springs:

"Suspension Coil Spring
      Your coil springs are not especially prone to failure, but if they have been cut, clamped, or heated to have the vehicle lowered, your 2007 Volvo C30 might benefit from replacing the strut springs. Excessive rust can make the springs more prone to failure. Contact your local Volvo service department to have your suspension system evaluated."

Is this Volvo's own legal department warning about lowering springs in general? You should ask your mechanic to see why he thinks both failed at the same time. Was it a huge bump in the road, rust or perhaps defective springs. When you examine a crack in the spring and see rust in parts of the crack and then cleaner metal that tells you it had progressively broke. Meaning a hairline and then got rusty before a bump snapped it. If the spring has clean metal at the break it means it just snap all of a sudden which is not good regardless. Just buy a set of springs in pairs you should be fine.

Ford used a bunch of springs that are of the same size on Mazda, Volvo, Ford and potentially Jags. The color codes will indicate differing rate due to engine size but may also mean differing lot from different manufacturers. Volvo do not make springs but are sourced and yours is from Spain. Except for the lowering and R Springs most aftermarket specifies one Spring and Strut for all C30 AND R-Design. They always recommend changing in pairs. Can't legally say must / force customers to buy parts not broken. Have your mechanic check the rear springs for cracks and color to see if it is the lowering springs also. If it is and you buy regular springs up front the steering will feel lighter more responsive beside giving you more neutral steer which is not a bad thing. Ultimately you and your mechanic should decide what works best for you.
      -
      EDIT: From Spain if FCP's picture is correct.
      -
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-c30-30714368
      -
      Not uncommon to see broken springs on Volvos built after Ford took over. I've seen at least 1/2 dozen front and rear on S40, V50 and C30 myself, and I'm not in the repair business. All only had ONE broken spring. Not from accident or abuse. The quality is not what it used to be, it seems. I've never had a broken spring on a 140, 240, 740, 760, 960, 850 or x70, and I've owned at least two examples of all of those going back to 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      and I'm not in the repair business.
      -
      Only worked at Pepboys and Acura in the mid 90's for a year combined . Was an entry level tech and an injury took me out of the industry. At best a mediocre DYI'er and still learning that I'm still a medicore DIY'er . Lot's of cars and no broken springs .

Hey all,

So I took my '07 C30 T5 to the dealership because it's had some issues for a while now. Turns out my two front springs are broken and need to be replaced. They quoted me on the parts and the springs alone are about $500 CAD, So i'm looking at aftermarket stuff. BUT for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to see what is compatible and what fits what!!

This is the coil spring part number that the shop wrote on the quote: https://parts.volvocars.ca/p/Volvo_2.../30714368.html

I'm looking on Autopartsway Canada to find similar parts to it. Is there a way I can see if this:

https://www.autopartsway.ca/partdeta...ts/coil-spring

Is the same as the OEM Volvo part? If it fits? The Lesjofors part has UPC numbers, "Interchange" numbers (whatever that means) but I don't know how I can confirm that they'll fit properly.

Anyway, I'm quite a novice to all this so I hope maybe somebody has some tips on finding aftermarket parts for their c30!
      Did you actually see both "Broken" springs? I would get a 2nd opinion, they may be attempting to take advantage of you.

The upside is, if they really are bad, there are so many of us on here who have replaced their "OEM stock" height springs with aftermarket. That you should be able to get some for next to nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by manydubs View Post
      Did you actually see both "Broken" springs? I would get a 2nd opinion, they may be attempting to take advantage of you.

The upside is, if they really are bad, there are so many of us on here who have replaced their "OEM stock" height springs with aftermarket. That you should be able to get some for next to nothing....
      That is the second opinion - the first shop said the same thing :/ plus the car rides so low it basically scrapes the ground, i believe them

Do you think getting used springs is an okay strategy? Will they last pretty long still, relative to buying brand new?

Do you think getting used springs is an okay strategy? Will they last pretty long still, relative to buying brand new?
      Per manydubs see if you can procure a set of used OEM stock height springs from a member here.

That is the second opinion - the first shop said the same thing :/ plus the car rides so low it basically scrapes the ground, i believe them

No way to know if used springs will last or not. Many factors - mileage on donor, usage, etc., would impact potential lifespan. I would use them, but I can do the labor. I you are paying someone else to do the work, it's a false economy, IMO

Just chiming in to say I have a pair of brand new OEM lowering springs in the classifieds if that helps! They are the -20mm sport springs
      Thanks,
      Jason

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers
      Workhorse: 2006 F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel
      Previous: 2010 C30 |1|2|3| 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

I’ve got a set of OEM 2008 c30 springs. Literally 6000 miles on them when I swapped. For example I only have 32000 on it now. Car has NEVER seen winter and very occasional rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Out of curiosity. Did they actually show you the BROKEN springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements