Vanity plate contenders, please weigh in!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      First, if you’re in the great state of Utahhh, leave this thread or agree to not steal my ideas. If these become unavailable within the next few days I’ll assume you did not heed this warning and my passive aggressiveness will end up reporting your plate for reckless driving in a couple months. Just kidding. I think.

So here are a couple final ideas for a personalized plate. I know google can only do so much, so wanted some real world input and thought.

HEJ DÅ or VI SES

Which is the better way of saying goodbye in the native tongue of Volvo? And is the space optional on hej då? I’ve seen it as hejdå, too.

Now, which is a better plate, the better way of saying ‘goodbye’ above, or LAGOM ?

Feel free to offer up your opinion on these choices or throw a different one into the ring. I have mixed feeling about personalized plates as I’m known to be a bit spirited of a driver at times, so don’t like the idea of a super easy to remember one in English. Adding the Swedish gives a bit of a buffer to keep it from being too memorable to those not baptized into the waters of Volvo.

Let’s hear your thoughts.
      Current- 15 V60 T6 AWD RD Platinum P* Tuned
      Graveyard/Parts Bin/Projects:
      05 S40 T5 AWD GT Satin Pearl White
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by carreragt7 View Post
      First, if you’re in the great state of Utahhh, leave this thread or agree to not steal my ideas. If these become unavailable within the next few days I’ll assume you did not heed this warning and my passive aggressiveness will end up reporting your plate for reckless driving in a couple months. Just kidding. I think.

So here are a couple final ideas for a personalized plate. I know google can only do so much, so wanted some real world input and thought.

HEJ DÅ or VI SES

Which is the better way of saying goodbye in the native tongue of Volvo? And is the space optional on hej då? I’ve seen it as hejdå, too.

Now, which is a better plate, the better way of saying ‘goodbye’ above, or LAGOM ?

Feel free to offer up your opinion on these choices or throw a different one into the ring. I have mixed feeling about personalized plates as I’m known to be a bit spirited of a driver at times, so don’t like the idea of a super easy to remember one in English. Adding the Swedish gives a bit of a buffer to keep it from being too memorable to those not baptized into the waters of Volvo.

Let’s hear your thoughts.
      Lycka Til (Till) is Good Luck in Swedish.

Goteborg is Swedish for Gothenburg. City where Volvos are made.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 05-16-2020 at 12:07 AM.

My S60R-D (PA): MTY THOR
      Son's S60 Polestar (DC): MJOLNIR
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have no imagination but to my immense surprise my first name was available when I checked the PennDOT website so I have:

2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

I know nothing of the proper language, but I like HEJ DÅ..especially if they let you put the little ring on top of the Å.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

Bork Bork Bork

Mine.
      chef.jpg

Pretty sure the A overring will not exist in the license plate font, but nothing that an appropriate sized magnetic washer couldn’t fix

Yeah, If I go that route I was just going to do a vinyl cutout for the accent (?) mark.

LAGOM is already taken here, but my version would be LA60M. Like how it ties into the model and hopefully would still be understood by those in the know. Haha.
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

KEVVVIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!

Will always make me think of Home Alone. Haha. I drive too “sporty” to want to share my name, lolz
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

I've always been a fan of engine codes - they read more or less like license plates if you're worried about recognition, and are a true subtle but cool plate

2017 S60 T6 R-Design (His) - do88 FMIC | 2013 XC60 T6 (Hers) - IPD skidplate | 2012 S60 T6 R-Design - mods galore | 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2000 S40 1.9T

... I drive too “sporty” to want to share my name, lolz
      I did think about that factor, but afraid to admit that I’ve grown too old, sensible and aware of my own mortality to do anything I’m that ashamed of these days - although after forty years of driving I did get my first ever in-person speeding ticket last year in Nebraska... 86 in a 75... wanted to point out that if I was only doing 11 over the limit on an interstate around these parts I’d be the one at the front of the traffic jam... but the trooper had no sense of humor and was adamant that he had to issue a ticket... think he needed a PA scalp for his collection... to be fair he did write it for 85 instead of 86, which made it a $25 fine with $50 costs (struggling to understand the economics of any system that costs $50 to fine someone $25)... and clearly no point trying to fight $75 so far from home... would have cost me well over a grand in airfare, hotels and rental car to go back for the court hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by rallyr32 View Post
      I've always been a fan of engine codes - they read more or less like license plates if you're worried about recognition, and are a true subtle but cool plate
      I actually liked that idea too. Definitely not off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      I did think about that factor, but afraid to admit that I’ve grown too old, sensible and aware of my own mortality to do anything I’m that ashamed of these days - although after forty years of driving...
      I'm starting to get that way myself.
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah, If I go that route I was just going to do a vinyl cutout for the accent (?) mark.

LAGOM is already taken here, but my version would be LA60M. Like how it ties into the model and hopefully would still be understood by those in the know. Haha.
      Maybe a stupid question but being new to Volvos I have to ask....what is the meaning behind LAGOM?

I did think about that factor, but afraid to admit that I’ve grown too old, sensible and aware of my own mortality to do anything I’m that ashamed of these days - although after forty years of driving I did get my first ever in-person speeding ticket last year in Nebraska... 86 in a 75... wanted to point out that if I was only doing 11 over the limit on an interstate around these parts I’d be the one at the front of the traffic jam... but the trooper had no sense of humor and was adamant that he had to issue a ticket... think he needed a PA scalp for his collection... to be fair he did write it for 85 instead of 86, which made it a $25 fine with $50 costs (struggling to understand the economics of any system that costs $50 to fine someone $25)... and clearly no point trying to fight $75 so far from home... would have cost me well over a grand in airfare, hotels and rental car to go back for the court hearing.
      Don't take it to heart. On my way back from California about 10 years ago, I was pulled over in Kansas....Drum Roll Going 70 in a 70 but I was in the "passing lane". Not a damn car in sight and this copper pulls me over. Make matters worse, he wanted to toss the car with California Plates. I was in the middle of no where and REALLY wasn't in the mood to wait hrs for this podunk cop to find a drug dog. Because, I am sure he would drag the process out with little to nothing else to do. So I said fine. Cu de gras? The SOB tosses the car then leaves everything in a COMPLETE mess. My luggage and all.

Some cops feel their self esteem is only boosted by being the biggest A-Hole in town.... It happens.

I actually liked that idea too. Definitely not off the table.

I'm starting to get that way myself.
      Svenska is another idea. Swedish for "Swedish".

I have no imagination but to my immense surprise my first name was available when I checked the PennDOT website so I have:
      Maybe you can use this to your advantage. If you ever get pulled over, tell the cop you were the inspiration behind McCully Kulkin in Home Alone.

Normally I wouldn't bother posting this, but you said "please weigh in" so it's fair game.

Vanity plates are stupid. Vanity plates where no one else besides you knows what it means are even more stupid. When your friends ask you what your plate means, you will say, "It means 'goodbye' in Swedish." And they will say, "Oh cool." But literally no one will think it is cool and no one will think you are clever. I have a Volvo, have owned two other Volvos, and post on a Volvo forum and I don't even think it's cool or clever.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Don't take it to heart.

I didn’t... it was early on day 9, state 17 of a ten day 21 state 6,535 mile cross country road trip with my daughter that took in avoiding a serious line of tornados crossing Tennessee, the Four Corners, Grand Canyon, very narrowly missing an elk in Arizona, Vegas, Universal Studios Hollywood, the Pacific Coast Highway, Golden Gate Bridge, and a serious haul-ass drive home on I-80 which started twelve hours behind schedule and ended about four hours behind schedule. The $75 ticket was not even pennies on the dollar on the cost of the trip, and adds another little sub-plot to an epic story that I hope my daughter will share with her grandchildren one day. Was just a pity that it happened just 9 miles into Nebraska and left me feeling obliged to set the cruise to 74.75 mph for the remaining 446 miles of the state, which really was the one state of all on the trip that really needed to be fast-forwarded thru.

We had been planning to top that this year with a European road trip following the German exchange visit she was supposed to be going on this summer, but obviously that’s now not going to happen.
      Last edited by Sysyphus61; 05-17-2020 at 12:06 AM.

I didn’t... it was early on day 9, state 17 of a ten day 21 state 6,535 mile cross country road trip with my daughter that took in avoiding a serious line of tornados crossing Tennessee, the Four Corners, Grand Canyon, very narrowly missing an elk in Arizona, Vegas, Universal Studios Hollywood, the Pacific Coast Highway, Golden Gate Bridge, and a serious haul-ass drive home on I-80 which started twelve hours behind schedule and ended about four hours behind schedule. The $75 ticket was not even pennies on the dollar on the cost of the trip, and adds another little sub-plot to an epic story that I hope my daughter will share with her grandchildren one day.

We had been planning to top that this year with a European road trip following the German exchange visit she was supposed to be going on this summer, but obviously that’s now not going to happen.
      Hit about the same states I did.

My trip proved less than stellar on multiple Legs. California I got hungry right off plane and got major food poisoning a a Chinese Restaurant - Why did I eat the Chinese Shrimp....(sweating bullets and hurling my guts) next morning. I managed to get up to yosemite before I let loose. Spent night there. Felt better traveled Yosemite. Headed over to Vegas and checked everything out (uneventful). Went to Grand Canyon - V40 I was Given from Estate and Apparently Neglected started Smoking. Got up to Utah, and Got a flat Tire on Sunday (Roofing Nail).. More Annoying than anything. Stopped at Four Corners and took some photos (uneventful). Stood on Plaque. Headed to Denver to get car repaired ($600). Needed New Dipstick, was apparently spitting oil on engine (burning) and Mass Airflow Sensor. From there headed to Nebraska, then on to Kansas where I met Mr. A-Hole Cop...After that I headed back home and called it quits.

I did get to see a lot...Just some legs less enjoyable than others! Food poisoning was the absolute worst! Yosemite though was a very nice highlight once i felt better. I love nature.

I've done the bounce around Europe for 2.5 weeks on my own once. Hit Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Sweden, Italy, Vatican, and France....

Done a ton of road trips. Still got about 17 or 18 states to check off list at some point in my life.

Moral... Take good with Bad... Laugh about it... Isn't only time I've had misadventures. Went up to Niagara falls in December with a buddy, had bit of sore throat when I left. Apparently family member had started to get me sick, but wrote off as allergies or maybe a cold. Came back with 102 Fever LOL. But hey it was worth it. I love to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Normally I wouldn't bother posting this, but you said "please weigh in" so it's fair game.

Vanity plates are stupid. Vanity plates where no one else besides you knows what it means are even more stupid. When your friends ask you what your plate means, you will say, "It means 'goodbye' in Swedish." And they will say, "Oh cool." But literally no one will think it is cool and no one will think you are clever. I have a Volvo, have owned two other Volvos, and post on a Volvo forum and I don't even think it's cool or clever.
      It's a Swedish Car. I think anyone seeing plates will simply assume the phrase is Swedish. And other Volvo People might recognize the saying. Call it an "inside joke". Something like GoteBorg or Svenska wouldn't be too hard to grasp. Goteborg being city car was made and Svenska being Swedish.

https://giphy.com/gifs/molly-welker-F3G8ymQkOkbII

I appreciate the input, all. Even yours, Meade! Haha. Right when I saw your (expected) response, I said to myself “I bet this guy is an accountant or mechanical engineer.” Coming from a family with multiples of each, it’s fun seeing how the form vs. function debate and all the variations of it plays into people’s choices.
      I know there are both haters and lovers of vanity plates: the best part of this world is you don’t have to be a carbon copy of everyone else and have a little personality. I truly don’t give a single $&@! if someone understands what it means or if they appreciate it, I do things because I like them. If I have to have a government issued plate on my vehicle, why not make it mean something to me? There are plenty of things that I personally think are asinine, but I get that my opinion is just that, the opinion of but one tiny ant out of the billions on this mound of dirt. You do you, as bland or as spiced up as that may be.

My main purpose for posting is I truly don’t know which version of “goodbye” is more correct in the context of being on a vehicle that just passed you by. Was hoping someone with actual knowledge of the language and a shared love for this brand would weigh in on which wording fit the application better. So that 1 in 1000 person that understands the plate reference would get it and my usage would be correct.

I like the idea of LAGOM as I feel the V60 is just that, the right amount of balance between form and function. Relatively sporty while still maintaining functionality of a larger vehicle.
      To the person who asked what lagom is, it’s roughly translated as “the right amount” or “not too little, not too much”.
      None of the ideas I’ve kicked around are offensive, although goodbye is a bit cheeky.
      If someone thinks I or my style choices are vane, stupid, self-centered, etc. my world and their world still keeps spinning. en fråga om åsikt. 😉
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

As a vanity plate owner (the exact same two pieces of metal I got originally) for 34 years now, I can say they are worth the fun. They've been on 6 cars now.
      Could care less what others think of them. I like them and that's what counts.
      If it makes you happy, get 'em!

I appreciate the input, all. Even yours, Meade! Haha. Right when I saw your (expected) response, I said to myself “I bet this guy is an accountant or mechanical engineer.” Coming from a family with multiples of each, it’s fun seeing how the form vs. function debate and all the variations of it plays into people’s choices.
      I know there are both haters and lovers of vanity plates: the best part of this world is you don’t have to be a carbon copy of everyone else and have a little personality. I truly don’t give a single $&@! if someone understands what it means or if they appreciate it, I do things because I like them. If I have to have a government issued plate on my vehicle, why not make it mean something to me? There are plenty of things that I personally think are asinine, but I get that my opinion is just that, the opinion of but one tiny ant out of the billions on this mound of dirt. You do you, as bland or as spiced up as that may be.

My main purpose for posting is I truly don’t know which version of “goodbye” is more correct in the context of being on a vehicle that just passed you by. Was hoping someone with actual knowledge of the language and a shared love for this brand would weigh in on which wording fit the application better. So that 1 in 1000 person that understands the plate reference would get it and my usage would be correct.

I like the idea of LAGOM as I feel the V60 is just that, the right amount of balance between form and function. Relatively sporty while still maintaining functionality of a larger vehicle.
      To the person who asked what lagom is, it’s roughly translated as “the right amount” or “not too little, not too much”.
      None of the ideas I’ve kicked around are offensive, although goodbye is a bit cheeky.
      If someone thinks I or my style choices are vane, stupid, self-centered, etc. my world and their world still keeps spinning. en fråga om åsikt. 😉
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 05-17-2020 at 12:59 PM.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Well, if you don't want Norse/Marvel myth references, how about varmstång, which is Swedish for "hot rod" (per Google translate)? When people ask me about my car, I tell them it's a Swedish hot rod (which some may think is an oxymoron). On the other hand, if you want a mythological reference without the Marvel Comics references, consider shortened versions of Tanngrisnir (Old Norse "teeth-barer, snarler") or Tanngnjóstr (Old Norse "teeth grinder"), which are the goats who pull Thor's chariot in Norse mythology.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
      Well, if you don't want Norse/Marvel myth references, how about varmstång, which is Swedish for "hot rod" (per Google translate)? When people ask me about my car, I tell them it's a Swedish hot rod (which some may think is an oxymoron). On the other hand, if you want a mythological reference without the Marvel Comics references, consider shortened versions of Tanngrisnir (Old Norse "teeth-barer, snarler") or Tanngnjóstr (Old Norse "teeth grinder"), which are the goats who pull Thor's chariot in Norse mythology.
      License plates have a universal letter limit I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

1. Good gif choice
      2. I'm a CPA

2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

That’s awesome! Realized it’s hard sometimes for words to convey intended tone, glad you knew I wasn’t belittling.
      My dad was the finance director for the city in Cali that I grew up in for most of my childhood, and he and 3 of my siblings have worked for 3 of the big 4 (PWC, Deloitte, and Ernst) and a BIL worked for KPMG. I sure am glad for different strokes for different folks as I couldn’t do accounting (I’d go more insane), but am appreciative of those who do!
      Last edited by carreragt7; 05-18-2020 at 04:10 AM.
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
      Varmstång is really funny, not that anyone would ever say that i Sweden since it is not a real word but it's still funny!

Lagom is also a really good one, even here in Sweden we make fun of the fact that everything is always so "lagom" when we do stuff. Probably the most Swedish word there is.
      2012 V60 3.0 T6 AWD 452 black sapphire - Polestar tune, Polestar wheels 8x19". Simons 3" exhaust. JR air filter. H&R springs. R design front, diffusor, steering wheel, pedals. Frameless mirror, MY13 gear shifter, MY15 TFT DIM. MA602-90.
      1995 855 T-5R automatic 421 dark olive pearl - The long time project.
      https://www.instagram.com/t6blacksapphire/

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      License plates have a universal letter limit I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.
      Here in Minnesota the limit is 7 characters. I'm guessing it's likely the same in most US states.

I have a vanity plate. It is my initials and the name of the horse I sponsored at a therapy stable for kids, JL-THNDR. Unfortunately the horse passed away almost 2 yrs ago at 31. It is also my site name here. Do I care that others don't know what it means, nope. It is a special plate and it had been on a Chevrolet S-10, Saab 9-5, and now the Volvo S60.

I do like the Swedish Chef plate on the other members car that posted in this thread.

Decades ago I saw a bright yellow Honda 600 - remember them... smaller than a Smart Car - with "PUBEAR". It took me a moment, then I was laughing so hard I nearly drove off the I-5 bridge!
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      Decades ago I saw a bright yellow Honda 600 - remember them... smaller than a Smart Car - with "PUBEAR". It took me a moment, then I was laughing so hard I nearly drove off the I-5 bridge!
      My favorite plate was in Virginia. z0mbies

Zombies would be sweet on an apocalyptic truck or suv, like an original humvee.
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

VVVVVVD

Eh?
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      1. Good gif choice
      2. I'm a CPA

Damn, I was just browsing and thought Meade was the only one in the thread I agreed with as I think vanity plates are kinda pointless too.
      I wasn't gonna post but then figured I had to... cos I'm a Mechanical Engineer!
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

Haha, Postman. Yes, vanity plates are pointless, as are most things in life. 😉 I’d put NHILIST on a plate but pretty sure they’d reject it as someone would be offended.
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast