Big Brake Kit for SPA platform
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 45
    1. #1
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362

      Big Brake Kit for SPA platform

      I was looking for a brake upgrade kit and was hard-pressed to find any available from the big names. The Polestar upgrade has a 6 pot for the front wheels and none for the rear. I reached out to several companies and Rotora suggest I loan them my vehicle as a test mule for their development. After several weeks, they have completed their work and installed this kit for my V60.
      They are looking to expand compatibility with the V90 platform and are looking V/S/CC90 to confirm fitment and tune the brake bias in exchange for some sweet deals.
      Any takers?

      Note: I do not work for Rotora, just a happy customer

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by visualv; 05-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      SoCal-Diamond Bar
      Posts
      277
      That looks great. The kits looks high-end. Thanks for sharing very interesting upgrade.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

    4. #3
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      More pictures.
      Front caliper setupfront-1.jpgfront-2.jpgfront-8.jpgrear-9.jpgfront-12.jpg

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      Rear calipersrear-1.jpgrear-2.jpgrear-9.jpgrear-11.jpg

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      61
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Rear calipersrear-1.jpgrear-2.jpgrear-9.jpgrear-11.jpg

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      I may be interested
      just took the delivery of my v90 cc
      daily 2018 V90cc polestar optimized white/mocha
      retired
      2006 V70r GT Sonic Blue 70k

    8. #6
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      Quote Originally Posted by Cipolz View Post
      I may be interested
      just took the delivery of my v90 cc
      Contact Rotora at rotora.com and ask for Loren. He will be able to answer all your questions about the kit

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      Just reached out to them. I'm in LA so that would be easy to take my car over.
      Thank you, it looks great

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      8
      Keep us posted. I would love to have that for my XC90!

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      SoCal-Diamond Bar
      Posts
      277
      Yes please keep thread update with new info. I have a v90 and would love this upgrade .


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

    12. #10
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      Here are a couple pictures of my V60 running 19x8.5 wheels and Rotora 380mm front and 355mm rear

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      SoCal-Diamond Bar
      Posts
      277
      That looks bueno. How’s the performance ?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

    14. #12
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      Stopping distance is much better with the new setup. They are 15lb ligher than stock so unsprung mass on each wheel is reduced for better traction over rough roads

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      I spoke with the company about doing my car. They mentioned about a 50% discount, so that would come out to about $3200 total with the discount. A bit higher than I'd like to pay right now. So if someone wants it and they are in LA hit them up.

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      73
      $3200 for both axles? Damn, that's a good deal. I paid more for my other car for just the front axle BBK...
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      $3200 for both axles? Damn, that's a good deal. I paid more for my other car for just the front axle BBK...
      Yea if you are willing to leave your car with them for 2 ish weeks.

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      73
      Well, I am on East Coast, so that just isn't feasible. Also why do one need to leave the car with them for 2 weeks? Sure by now they have the CAD drawings for the mounting brackets figured out... Installing brake components are 2-3 hours job max if you know what you are doing.

      Nice brake for sure. Would be nice if they are selling actual kits that can be shipped, and would be extra nice if they sell ones without the bright red CNC's logo on the caliper. Just not my cup of tea.
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      Well, I am on East Coast, so that just isn't feasible. Also why do one need to leave the car with them for 2 weeks? Sure by now they have the CAD drawings for the mounting brackets figured out... Installing brake components are 2-3 hours job max if you know what you are doing.

      Nice brake for sure. Would be nice if they are selling actual kits that can be shipped, and would be extra nice if they sell ones without the bright red CNC's logo on the caliper. Just not my cup of tea.
      They don't have a kit designed yet. This would be the first time they have had access to a car. They could probably make something for you if you wanted.



      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    20. #18
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      These are the color options you can pick

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      These are the color options you can pick

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Is the logo a sticker or engraved?

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    22. #20
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      I don't believe they are engraved

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      292
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      I don't believe they are engraved

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      The orangey gold one could look good with a polestar logo on it.

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      152
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Stopping distance is much better with the new setup. They are 15lb ligher than stock so unsprung mass on each wheel is reduced for better traction over rough roads

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      first thing, many companies love to put their generic calipers on all possible cars and not even matching hydraulic system. Caliper piston area not matching original which changes brake pedal feel. (spend too many years in automotive industry from car manufacturer to biggest supplier)
      braking distance is heavily influenced by grip= tires. I have removed noseason tires from our R and replaced with pure Summer shoes from Michelin PS4 VOL. Big difference when comparing with OE no season, It is harder to trip ABS.
      From pictures I can see you have put some cheap all season Toyo. do you have data to show how much better brakes are?
      regarding rear? how about parking brake? In my opionion, all show, no go.

    25. #23
      Junior Member Ultrarunner511's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      165
      This looks really cool! I'd love to see this on an XC90!

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      392
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      first thing, many companies love to put their generic calipers on all possible cars and not even matching hydraulic system. Caliper piston area not matching original which changes brake pedal feel. (spend too many years in automotive industry from car manufacturer to biggest supplier)
      braking distance is heavily influenced by grip= tires. I have removed noseason tires from our R and replaced with pure Summer shoes from Michelin PS4 VOL. Big difference when comparing with OE no season, It is harder to trip ABS.
      From pictures I can see you have put some cheap all season Toyo. do you have data to show how much better brakes are?
      regarding rear? how about parking brake? In my opionion, all show, no go.
      I'd probably give Rotora a little more credit than that. We know all the SPA brakes are the same, yet they want to bring each model in and confirm fitment, and see if the piston sizes needed to be changed to match the hydraulics. So that's a good sign. Though they seem to keep the specs a secret, so we can't confirm. The math is pretty simple to do if we know the piston sizes and can estimate the effective radius. They seem to offer a variety of rotor sizes which does smack of adapting calipers to everything, and they do seem to want to make a kit for everything. As long as they have the variety of bores available to match correctly, they can do that effectively. FYI Rotora appears to have their own motor system they can adapt to the parking brake circuit, so they can handle the e-parking brakes, as they do in this Volvo kit.

      But lets be honest about what kind of "upgrade" it is. Precious few people here are tracking Volvos and therefore not concerned with outright performance. There are many aspects to brake performance. Stopping distance is not one of them. As you already know, tires stop the car, not the brakes. Any modern brake system can stop the car full ABS. Want to stop quicker, fit sticker tires. The main reason for "big brakes" is heat capacity. If you track a car, you know all about the need for that. The brakes on the Volvos at least the S60 are pretty good size. 345x30mm rotor on a T6. High temp fluid and pads would take you far.

      There are subjective benefits to brake upgrades. Fixed calipers give a better feel than sliders. Not everyone would notice, I do but I care about such things. And you can't deny the bling factor, they just look great, powder coated calipers and two piece rotors. That's why people want this, even as there is virtually no performance benefit. Personally I think it's an awful lot of dough for no practical use other than looks. But we all have differing amounts of disposable cash and place a different value on material things.

      visualv I love you bud and the brakes look hella cool, but lets not argue with the laws of physics.

    27. #25
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      362
      I'll keep this short.
      1. I plan to track my wagon after this crazy times
      2. Toyos are for everyday driving. Why waste money putting highperf summer tires on public roads
      3. Bling is a definite factor

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      392
      Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      I'll keep this short.
      1. I plan to track my wagon after this crazy times
      2. Toyos are for everyday driving. Why waste money putting highperf summer tires on public roads
      3. Bling is a definite factor
      Awesome man! Sport chassis unite ;-) The bigger rotors are def going to make a difference on the track. What pads did you get, do they have choices? I would also hope Rotora designed their calipers to take some common pad shape so you have plenty of choice.

      I'm working on setting up for a few track nights, things are opening up in MA now. It's been 8 years since I've been on a track! There is exactly one almost track pad available for the Volvo sliders. At least there is that. I'll be detailing it in the S60 forum. Will look forward to your experiences there too!

    29. #27
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      841
      Just put in my order for the same BBK as visualv for my V90CC. 6-Pot Forged Calipers with 380X32 rotors upfront and 4-Pot Forged Calipers with 350X29 rotor on the back. The rears include the electronic parking brake module replacement as well. Also included are H2 Ceramic pads for street/light track use. I'm going with the Black "mil-spec" Anodized finish on my car with OEM 20 inch wheels and 15 mm spacers all around from Viva Performance!

      In the meanwhile, will also be ceramic coating the calipers when they arrive and all four wheels with a high-temperature ceramic coating (GTECHNIQ C5 Wheel Armour).

      Got a great deal on the BBK from [email protected] Local Volvo dealership is charging $500 ($250/axle) for the install, which is not terrible, in my opinion.

      And now the wait begins! And the process of gathering up the courage to break this news to the wife!

      Hopefully, when I get time to get the kit installed in the coming weeks, I'll make a 1-to-1 weight comparison thread of the kit compared to our stock setup.

      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    30. #28
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      288
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      And now the wait begins! And the process of gathering up the courage to break this news to the wife!
      Ahhh, yes, the most difficult part...I can relate!

      Congrats on the purchase, you'll have to post pics here too.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    31. #29
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      841
      While the topic of Brakes is being discussed, anybody knows how much brake fluid is needed for the vehicle? While installing the BBK, I also plan on having a brake fluid flush done and needed an estimate of how much brake fluid would the system gulp down. Thank you!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      392
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      While the topic of Brakes is being discussed, anybody knows how much brake fluid is needed for the vehicle? While installing the BBK, I also plan on having a brake fluid flush done and needed an estimate of how much brake fluid would the system gulp down. Thank you!
      In general 1 liter should be enough for a complete flush. Any brake fluid is fine for the street, I would get a liter of Typ 200 ATE, it's high temp stuff, but long life not full on racing grade. Might as well use good fluid in them fancy brakes!

    33. #31
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      841
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      In general 1 liter should be enough for a complete flush. Any brake fluid is fine for the street, I would get a liter of Typ 200 ATE, it's high temp stuff, but long life not full on racing grade. Might as well use good fluid in them fancy brakes!
      Lol. You read my mind, Power6. I'm planning to get the Type 200. Just wanted to know if I need a single (1-liter bottle) or two! Thanks.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      152
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Lol. You read my mind, Power6. I'm planning to get the Type 200. Just wanted to know if I need a single (1-liter bottle) or two! Thanks.
      That is some old spec fluid. Try to find low viscosity fluid due to ABS/ESP module. If you change fluid every two years then ATE SL6 is plenty for street cars that in Europe see panic braking at 230+km/h.
      Even Ferrari uses standard of the shelf fluid...friend works for Ferrari.

    35. #33
      subscribing to see a longroof at Gingerman boiling its brakes.

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      392
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      That is some old spec fluid. Try to find low viscosity fluid due to ABS/ESP module. If you change fluid every two years then ATE SL6 is plenty for street cars that in Europe see panic braking at 230+km/h.
      Even Ferrari uses standard of the shelf fluid...friend works for Ferrari.
      Hey thanks! clearly I need to do some research and update on this. I'm sure for the street whatever is fine with respect to boiling point of SL.6 vs Typ 200, I was about to flush in some RBF600 to get ready for a track night, I guess I'd better make sure that's ok for the Volvo.

      *edit* OK RBF600 is probably good, it exceeds DOT 5.1 viscosity spec except at -40 so I'll keep that in mind. For others I guess you want to use a DOT 5.1 fluid.
      Last edited by Power6; 07-16-2020 at 04:32 PM.

    37. #35
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      841
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      That is some old spec fluid. Try to find low viscosity fluid due to ABS/ESP module. If you change fluid every two years then ATE SL6 is plenty for street cars that in Europe see panic braking at 230+km/h.
      Even Ferrari uses standard of the shelf fluid...friend works for Ferrari.
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      subscribing to see a longroof at Gingerman boiling its brakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Hey thanks! clearly I need to do some research and update on this. I'm sure for the street whatever is fine with respect to boiling point of SL.6 vs Typ 200, I was about to flush in some RBF600 to get ready for a track night, I guess I'd better make sure that's ok for the Volvo.

      *edit* OK RBF600 is probably good, it exceeds DOT 5.1 viscosity spec except at -40 so I'll keep that in mind. For others I guess you want to use a DOT 5.1 fluid.
      Gentlemen, any suggestions on which fluid to pick up, then? I was planning to go with https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/amb...-dot4-dotamber as this has a higher dry/wet boiling point when compared to the stock Volvo fluid, and is also much cheaper than Volvo fluid. I do not have enough knowledge about brake fluids to have an opinion (I'm guessing the higher the boiling point, the better it is). Please advice. Thank you!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 33
      Last Post: 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM
    2. Are 19” or 20” SPA platform wheels compatible with P3 XC60?
      By blindkarma in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM
    3. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-01-2018, 06:18 PM
    4. 2018 V60CC SPA platform
      By billxc70 in forum S60 & V60, V60CC (SPA: 2019- )
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 01-27-2018, 05:45 PM
    5. New SPA platform and new VEA engine range
      By medels in forum News & Rumors
      Replies: 146
      Last Post: 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM