Big Brake Kit for SPA platform - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Pentosin DOT4 LV or ATE SL6 are low viscosity fluids that I know.
      BTW. called dealer and asked about change and was told " we change it if it is getting darker or at 40k". I asked about performing water content test like it is done in Europe. i was told "NO, we dont perform any tests" Every professional car service in Europe has brake fluid tester.... this is really third world country regarding infrastructure, vehicle safety, and maintenance. Ex. in Germany car will NOT pass inspection if brake fluid does not meet minimum boiling point of 180C (356F)
      I told them I will change it myself after two years since 40k is way too long based on my driving habits, even Brembo recommends 2-3 years interval.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      BTW. called dealer and asked about change and was told " we change it if it is getting darker or at 40k". I asked about performing water content test like it is done in Europe. i was told "NO, we dont perform any tests" Every professional car service in Europe has brake fluid tester.... this is really third world country regarding infrastructure, vehicle safety, and maintenance. Ex. in Germany car will NOT pass inspection if brake fluid does not meet minimum boiling point of 180C (356F)
      I told them I will change it myself after two years since 40k is way too long based on my driving habits, even Brembo recommends 2-3 years interval.
      Mine was last changed along with my 40k mile service. I currently have 65k on my vehicle and installing a BBK, so figured, might as well have the fluid flushed and use an aftermarket product. Thank you for the information! I'll look at the two fluids you have mentioned.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      That's just how we roll here! You know how easy it is to get a license, pass inspection, some places don't even have inspection! And you are talking about brake fluid! It's sort of perpetuating, we don't maintain our cars so well, mfrs are motivated to reduce maintenance (10k oil changes) since that's what we want and so on. Us car guys maintain our stuff to higher standard hopefully...only to get stuck behind a jalopy plodding along at 55, probably not even safe enough to go that fast, get out of my way dammit...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm having an early Christmas this year!

IMG_5819.jpg

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I'm having an early Christmas this year!

IMG_5819.jpg
      Sweet! Do an unboxing video

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Sweet! Do an unboxing video

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Unfortunately too late for that. I already unboxed everything, took measurements, and ceramic coated the Calipers. Now I wait for the next weekend when I get to have them installed.

Volvolic has been SUPER helpful in taking a bunch of measurements so we can do some math to see how this kit has been spec'd by Rotora. So far it looks not bad though a couple of compromises. We look forward to your install and review!

I see how they deal with the parking brake now, they add what looks like an in-line hydraulic pump that you attach the stock actuator to. It's a clever solution, although the reason why parking brakes use cables and now motors is that they can work in the event of complete hydraulic failure which obviously this bypasses. That's probably a pretty rare event though, and I have always wondered how scary it would be to use one of those electric ones in a true emergency, the only options you have being ON and OFF compared to the old hand or foot operated ones you had some variable control over.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Volvolic has been SUPER helpful in taking a bunch of measurements so we can do some math to see how this kit has been spec'd by Rotora. So far it looks not bad though a couple of compromises. We look forward to your install and review!

I see how they deal with the parking brake now, they add what looks like an in-line hydraulic pump that you attach the stock actuator to. It's a clever solution, although the reason why parking brakes use cables and now motors is that they can work in the event of complete hydraulic failure which obviously this bypasses. That's probably a pretty rare event though, and I have always wondered how scary it would be to use one of those electric ones in a true emergency, the only options you have being ON and OFF compared to the old hand or foot operated ones you had some variable control over.
      Thanks, Power6. I also plan to measure and compare the exact surface areas of the brake pads (BBK v/s Stock setup). I'm waiting to go into work so I can plot them on a graph paper and measure them manually, due to their non-conventional shapes. I hopefully plan to come up with enough characteristics to compare the two systems and make a thread once the install is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Thanks, Power6. I also plan to measure and compare the exact surface areas of the brake pads (BBK v/s Stock setup). I'm waiting to go into work so I can plot them on a graph paper and measure them manually, due to their non-conventional shapes. I hopefully plan to come up with enough characteristics to compare the two systems and make a thread once the install is done.
      Cool! Pad surface area is not that critical for performance, but good to know from a durability standpoint. It does mess with peoples heads because casually the brain thinks that more pad surface is more force generated but surface area doesn't even enter into that equation. It does matter though, you can't put all of the heat generation through too small a pad volume, and the swept area (entire surface of the rotor the pad contacts) matters for good heat dissipation. I got some conclusions from the info you sent me, I don't want to drip and drab it here and there so let me know when you post and I will add my thoughts.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2