New XC90 owner
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: New XC90 owner

New XC90 owner

Just picked up an 08 XC90 V8 with the Executive package. It's Ember Black Metallic with the Premium Chestnut leather interior. It needs a little work and a LOT of cleaning and TLC.

I started into Volvos with an 850, had a couple of C70 coupes, an S60R, and an S60 2.5T AWD. I'm not new to the brand but new to the XC90.

My first question is about how to accessorise it using stock parts. I'm pretty close to 2 pick a part ,yards that usually have a good selection of Volvos. Mine has the 6'cd changer but doesn't have the premium sound label on the center dash speaker cover. If I can find the Dynaudio speakers are they plug and play or is there a lot of other stuff that would make it difficult or expensive? I will also have my eyes on the lookout for the factory silver running boards. Other than that it could use misc interior trim pieces if I can find better than what it has. I tend to be a little picky and with only 102K miles this one seems to have pretty good potential.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2005 S60 AWD, Silver/Black
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive, Ember Black/Chestnut

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      If I can find the Dynaudio speakers are they plug and play or is there a lot of other stuff that would make it difficult or expensive? I will also have my eyes on the lookout for the factory silver running boards. Other than that it could use misc interior trim pieces if I can find better than what it has. I tend to be a little picky and with only 102K miles this one seems to have pretty good potential.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
      No to the DynaAudio question. The speakers are riveted into the doors and the speakers themselves are breathtakingly expensive new. Used, well, by now they're older - and older car speakers are usually not worth the trouble unless we're talking about Naim or Bowers.
      AudioFrog GS60’s or GB60’s make for very nice replacements.

Never liked the look of the running boards on the XC90, but to each their own. They are getting harder to find used, but not impossible.

Interior trim pieces are bountiful are pick and pull yards, but of course not always a guarantee they will match given various levels of UV exposure, weathering / fade, wear, etc. In these cases, especially for decorative trim, popping them off and having it vinyl wrapped or hydro dipped is a great way to rejuvenate the parts while ensure consistency throughout the lot.

Good luck and welcome.
      Last edited by ShadowDancer; 05-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Get a CFE Plus from SwedeSolutions and add a huge amount of new features and functions to the car.

Like the ability to see Boost in PSI on the dashboard... if you have a turbo...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      Get a CFE Plus from SwedeSolutions and add a huge amount of new features and functions to the car.

Like the ability to see Boost in PSI on the dashboard... if you have a turbo...

V8 never had a turbo.

But imagine the ground pounder it would be if it did! We would be having debates about the Polestar XC90 -vs- X5 M.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Although if you did manage to find good used Dynaudio speakers, and if you did manage to get them without having to sell a kidney, and you managed to get them out without breaking them, they are absolutely as good as any other top flight car speaker. They're the guys who make reference speakers for the BBC, so they know what they're doing - Bowers and Wilkins were rejected by the corporation for not being up to snuff with their offered product.

Welcome! Glad to see another V8 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      V8 never had a turbo.

But imagine the ground pounder it would be if it did! We would be having debates about the Polestar XC90 -vs- X5 M.
      But the might D5 does

They added a twin turbo to our beloved V8 for the Noble M600:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M600

Sadly nobody figured out a way to install the twin turbos in the XC90.
      Toby
      2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 95k miles
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Ember Black / Offblack 120k miles
      SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
      Sammamish, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      Just picked up an 08 XC90 V8 with the Executive package. It's Ember Black Metallic with the Premium Chestnut leather interior. It needs a little work and a LOT of cleaning and TLC.

... I will also have my eyes on the lookout for the factory silver running boards.
      I have a complete set, includes the black rubber step pads and most hardware. Need some cleaning.

A quick search shows these as NLA?

Asking $400.

Shipping extra or pick up at PA 18106

2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
      I have a complete set, includes the black rubber step pads and most hardware. Need some cleaning.

A quick search shows these as NLA?

Asking $400.

Thank
      Shipping extra or pick up at PA 18106

Thank you, but I think I'll just continue to look locally. I think shipping may make the cost too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
      Although if you did manage to find good used Dynaudio speakers, and if you did manage to get them without having to sell a kidney, and you managed to get them out without breaking them, they are absolutely as good as any other top flight car speaker. They're the guys who make reference speakers for the BBC, so they know what they're doing - Bowers and Wilkins were rejected by the corporation for not being up to snuff with their offered product.
      Would I need to change the amp as well? Or would the speakers be a plug and play upgrade.

So I think I scored pretty big time. I found an 06 XC90 V8 that seemed pretty well optioned. I initially popped one of the door tweeter covers off and found a yellow sticker. It didn't have BLIS so I couldn't use it. That made me curious enough to pop the driver's front door panel off. Bingo, the Premium Sound two speaker set up. The center speaker grille didn't have the small label in the lower right corner. So I carefully removed the other door speakers and the amp under the passenger's seat. I'm half done with the install. I'm not sure I will have the software upgrades done or even if I can with 2006 hardware in my 2008. I'm just hoping that it will sound a bit better for my investment of $25 and a few hours of time.

Update: I finished installing the four door speakers and the amp. Nice upgrade, it really rocks. I'm going to continue the hunt for front door tweeters with BLIS and maybe a center channel speaker without Nav.
      Last edited by Rubyvette; 06-12-2020 at 03:45 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements