Group Buy: Titanium wheel stud conversion kit
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To make this easier I am going to get one size for each chassis which will allow for the use of up to 20mm spacers and still sit flush with the rim face. the studs will look like the pictures below however I am probably not going to get the allen key hole in the end. the p2 sets will be m14x1.5x65mm - p80 sets will be m12x1.75 to m12x1.5x65mm - both sets will include an extra stud and lug.
      if you want a different size for an aftermarket wheel, larger spacers, anodizing, engraving, tuner nuts, etc. you will have to give me measurements yourself.
      If you want on the group buy, there is no money up front unless you want a 10% discount. Stock size set $225. modified set I would guestimate +$10-$20 (will let you know exactly before being made).
      PM me to be added to the List!

GROUP BUY LIST:
      boostednbagged - p2 - custom
      martynunya - p2, std, Anodized - Paid
      JackR11 - p2, std,
      Scottishbrick - p2, std,
      RodtheViking - p2, std, Allen key
      Xgt - p2 +dress
      phil-e phil - p80
      robbery_1 - +dress

Here is a Spec sheet for guys that want other than main order. I putting together a couple more measurements for the main orders, as well as making sure i send the right standards to the manufacturer.
      So far it will be a DIN 938 which is based off thread engagement length. then DIN 797 for special material studs with a wasted shank tip

I take my wheels on and off enough that I am sick of having to hold the wheels. The only benefit of a lug vs stud is cost. Besides the unsprung weight advantages, Titanium studs look cool too. Only problem is they are wicked expensive. A good set cost $300 - $400. Since I have the ability, I am going to get my own made.

I will make sure they are made to spec and follow any DIN/ISO standards. Looking into coatings but thinking a Moly-Disulfide on the studs to prevent galling.

I am thinking around $200 a set maybe 250 with coating or anodizing. They will be a little longer than stock as well so you can run spacers.
      M14x1.5x65mm for the p2 and if enough people want some m12 ones for their p80 I can have those made too. Any takers?

Pics are for reference only.
      Last edited by boostednbagged; 06-23-2020 at 10:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey man really interested. My only questions is what platform are you making them for? I know P80 and P2 lug diameter is deferent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huss3y29 View Post
      Hey man really interested. My only questions is what platform are you making them for? I know P80 and P2 lug diameter is deferent.

Edited, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Can someone do me a favor and measure the distance from top of cone seat to outside of a Peg R wheel? I want to make sure the studs do not poke out past that.

I ran a stud conversion on my P2 V70R and loved it.

Iím interested for my P80 project if you can keep the cost around $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

Quote Originally Posted by boostednbagged View Post
      Can someone do me a favor and measure the distance from top of cone seat to outside of a Peg R wheel? I want to make sure the studs do not poke out past that.

They will need to poke on cars without spacers or youíll be limited. I think you should plan to accommodate a 20mm spacer

06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

Iím in for a P80 set

P80 is M12x1.75 for reference. Rather coarse itís not a super common thread

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      P80 is M12x1.75 for reference. Rather coarse itís not a super common thread

Would a conversion to 1.5 be of benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      They will need to poke on cars without spacers or youíll be limited. I think you should plan to accommodate a 20mm spacer

Don't the current lugs sit recessed though?

Someone wanna get me a measurement of this?

Would a conversion to 1.5 be of benefit?

Yes, M12 X 1.75 on one end and M12 X 1.5 on the other for use with readily available lugs would add value.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      Yes, M12 X 1.75 on one end and M12 X 1.5 on the other for use with readily available lugs would add value.

Ok done.

Can you PM me measurements of your stock wheel lug hole? I don't have a p80 or peg wheel to use.

Interested

Iíll try to do this tomorrow.

I take my wheels on and off enough that I am sick of having to hold the wheels. The only benefit of a lug vs stud is cost. Besides the unsprung weight advantages, Titanium studs look cool too. Only problem is they are wicked expensive. A good set cost $300 - $400. Since I have the ability, I am going to get my own made.

I will make sure they are made to spec and follow any DIN/ISO standards. Looking into coatings but thinking a Moly-Disulfide on the studs to prevent galling.

I am thinking around $200 a set maybe 250 with coating or anodizing. They will be a little longer than stock as well so you can run spacers.
      M14x1.5x65mm for the p2 and if enough people want some m12 ones for their p80 I can have those made too. Any takers?

Pics are for reference only.

Interested for $200. I do have aftermarket wheels but i would not want the studs to poke out like the mack truck spike nuts. If you have the ability to produce these, could you offer them in 2 different stud lengths: standard and extra long for spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by XgT View Post
      Interested for $200. I do have aftermarket wheels but i would not want the studs to poke out like the mack truck spike nuts. If you have the ability to produce these, could you offer them in 2 different stud lengths: standard and extra long for spacers?
      What size spacers? I think making them flush with the Peg wheel will be enough. Our current lug is 27mm right? And you can run a 5mm spacer on that no problem. I would estimate 10mm available space bringing the stud out to the edge of the PEg. So there is a 15mm spacer. Stud set up the nut also doesn't count as wasted space like the big head of the lug bolt and does not require as many threads to be safely threaded so there's another 10mm. I would assume a 20mm spacer could be ran no prob.

But, I could get longer ones made. Whats the biggest spacer y'all are running now a days?

Last edited by boostednbagged; 05-18-2020 at 06:58 PM.

So 10 sets of each is what I have to order to keep it at 200/set.

I am going to front the money and have them all made since it seems like this is a thing people are only going to buy once they see the product.

That being said, I will be adding 10% to the price if you don't want to pony up now.

So what I have so far:

Grd 5 Titanium Aerospace Alloy 6AL/4V
      Unthreaded shoulder for brake rotor to sit on
      Allen hex quick thread nose for cross-thread free installation
      40% lighter with a tensile strength of 140,000psi
      Rolled threads (important) following ISO 724, 9001 standards
      Detailed installation instructions
      m17 60 deg conical nut

Lengths still being finalized but for p80 chassis the stud will convert to 1.5 threads.

I will probably get a few sets anodized in black as well.

Am I missing anything?

If you are interested, the specs for the studs I use on my P80s are 70mm overall length. I run spacers on pretty much everything, but on this axle (pictured) theyíre 12mm spacers and thereís 25mm from stud end to top of lug seat. Thatís with Meteors.

Would the threads be short enough to fit lug caps over them? I run H&R extended lugs with my 14mm spacers, the caps are nice for keeping things clean and for keeping things low key when I park is not so scrupulous areas.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Nonis View Post
      If you are interested, the specs for the studs I use on my P80s are 70mm overall length. I run spacers on pretty much everything, but on this axle (pictured) theyíre 12mm spacers and thereís 25mm from stud end to top of lug seat. Thatís with Meteors.

Thanks for this. Meteors?

It looks like the stud is pretty flush with the rim. Do you remember if the stud protruded without the spacers?

I don't want to say it but, why are your nuts so big?

It looks like the stud is pretty flush with the rim. Do you remember if the stud protruded without the spacers?

Meteors are stock P80 wheels. Mine came off of a 98 V70R.

I like to run enclosed lugs for dirt applications and depending on which spacers are on, I want to not have interference with the end of the lug nut. Once everything is dialed in I can just change to shorter lug nuts. Or not. Iím still working on exactly the suspension/wheel/tire setup on this car.

So 10 sets of each is what I have to order to keep it at 200/set.

I am going to front the money and have them all made since it seems like this is a thing people are only going to buy once they see the product.

That being said, I will be adding 10% to the price if you don't want to pony up now.

So what I have so far:

Grd 5 Titanium Aerospace Alloy 6AL/4V
      Unthreaded shoulder for brake rotor to sit on
      Allen hex quick thread nose for cross-thread free installation
      40% lighter with a tensile strength of 140,000psi
      Rolled threads (important) following ISO 724, 9001 standards
      Detailed installation instructions
      m17 60 deg conical nut

Lengths still being finalized but for p80 chassis the stud will convert to 1.5 threads.

I will probably get a few sets anodized in black as well.

Am I missing anything?

That sounds good to me. I wanted my spacers to be as thin as possible so i had them custom made to be hub and wheel centric. A stud flush with the peg wheel hole should allow for plenty of a larger spacer to be used if needed.
      Any possibility to have closed lug nuts made instead of open? Either way i am in on the group buy for these. How long will it take to get them made?

I would imagine they protrude. If you going straight off pocket depth, you could go crazy unless you go with JUST Pegasusí , but hereís the measurements I do have (spoiler, pocket depth isnít measured)

Hub engagement: 12mm

V70R 330mm rotor pad thickness: 8mm

Titan pad to taper thickness: 10mm
      Naiad pad to taper thickness: 10mm
      Schmidt Motorsports pad to taper thickness: 8mm

If you add 12mm for lug engagement youíd be at about 42mm overall length without any spacer.

So, this would be for Ti studs AND lug nuts?

I will go for a set... P2 R, after market wheels, no spacers

R2 Forgestar F14s v3.jpg

So, this would be for Ti studs AND lug nuts?
      Correct, I have a merchant account with a manufacturer. Skips the middle man.
      Thanks for the measurements. I'll hook you up if you're getting a set.

When you say pad thickness you mean rotor hat?

12 and 8mm is what I had as well. Can you tell me head of lug to edge of pegasus rim?

I can get any version made that you see online. This is a manufacturer that cnc fasteners. So I should be able to get any length stud made included in the 10. Different nuts or stud design however would be slightly more.

Turn around time I can find out more once I place the order but with everything going on I'm sure they will see delays. I'd say a month prob less.

Let's get a list going. Forum name, stud diameter and length, anodizing or engraving if any, nut size and type, whatever else. I will let you know how much each thing is. Some may be no additional cost some may be not worth it. Anodizing for example I already know is $2 extra per piece. I do however, need to submit the order as a whole to get a quote. I cannot bother them asking how much this and that is so I won't be able to tell you an exact price right away either.

Is there a easier way to manage group buys? Keep track and payment and stuff. Anyone use WeChat? I will be working the next 2 weeks in an area with almost no cell service so it would be cool if anyone could add themselves or someone to the list and when I get home and see it can add to the order.

Last edited by boostednbagged; 05-19-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Iím no where near baller enough for Ti wheel mounting hardware. At least not now.

I donít have access to any Pegs, but Iíve got some Titans which are like mini Pegs. Thatís the measurement I put up there. Hereís a simple layout (cross section and not to scale) of the dims I took.

You the man!

Now if I can get that for Pegs I'll place the order

Iím no where near baller enough for Ti wheel mounting hardware. At least not now.

I donít have access to any Pegs, but Iíve got some Titans which are like mini Pegs. Thatís the measurement I put up there. Hereís a simple layout (cross section and not to scale) of the dims I took.

Can you do one more measurement for me?
      How long is the lug from end to end?

Can someone please do this for a PEG wheel? 5% off a set if you do.

Iíve never fully understood the desire for Ti on such a critical component. There are a lot of sub-par alloys in the industry that are quite brittle. How do you know you have one such alloy? Who made the parts? Where was the alloy sourced? And whatís the total weight savings? Better of drinking some nice strong coffee and dropping some weight while reading the headlines (when your leg is asleep itís time to go).
      The sprung mass should be the same in the stud vs bolt comparison.
      I do like studs. But when the threads decide to give way then you can easily replace the bolt instead of the hub.
      In bicycles there are rider weight limits for Ti parts and itís 160-180#. And you end up spending more per gram of weight savings with Ti than you probably would on grams of crack.

Can you do one more measurement for me?
      How long is the lug from end to end?

Can someone please do this for a PEG wheel? 5% off a set if you do.

This?

Quote Originally Posted by janik_kaspar View Post
      Iíve never fully understood the desire for Ti on such a critical component. There are a lot of sub-par alloys in the industry that are quite brittle. How do you know you have one such alloy? Who made the parts? Where was the alloy sourced? And whatís the total weight savings? Better of drinking some nice strong coffee and dropping some weight while reading the headlines (when your leg is asleep itís time to go).
      The sprung mass should be the same in the stud vs bolt comparison.
      I do like studs. But when the threads decide to give way then you can easily replace the bolt instead of the hub.
      In bicycles there are rider weight limits for Ti parts and itís 160-180#. And you end up spending more per gram of weight savings with Ti than you probably would on grams of crack.
      I think if weíre being honest with ourselves, if it were about the dollar per performance metric, none of us would drive Volvos. Ti hardware isnít exclusively about the added performance gains. That might be some of it, but some is looks, some is the ďcool factorĒ, some is about that feeling when youíre mounting a wheel and you canít tell if youíve got lug nuts in your hand. Every modification someone makes, they balance those factors with the dollars theyíre spending. For some itís worth it, for you clearly not, and thatís ok too.

I will be getting spec and testing data sheets before I have anything made. I'm not putting anything on my car that is unsafe.

I am interested in a set for my P2 but and like the idea of the shorter set. I'm running Audi wheels drilled to 108 and do not have any spacers nor do I have room for any. My only issue is these need to be mailed to Canada. If we can make this happen sign me up, I've been toying with the stud conversion idea but hate the Tuner look.
      04 S60r - Hilton Stage 3 Tuned
      07 S60r - Project Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter_paintball View Post
      I've been toying with the stud conversion idea but hate the Tuner look.
      +1
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast