SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Struts and Shocks for my '98 S90

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Eleanor Bee 
#1 ·
Hey guys:

I am a 9 series fanatic, especially 960/s/v90. Ive had 5 of them: '93 940 turbo; '95-'98 960. I currently have a '98 s90 in immmmmmaculate condition with 166k miles. But it drives like a supermarket trolley because the struts and shocks are shot. These parts (along with many others for this car) are obsolete. Any idea where I can get struts and shocks? Actually the shocks are available at IPD (billstein, Boge, ) and the dealer has monroe struts. But im skeptical about the Monroes. Those were the struts on the car when i bought it in 2013 with 80k miles on the clock, and it handled like a '70s buick then. The softest and worst handling of the 5 I've had. The previous owner replaced the original struts as he prefered a more marine ride. Anyone has any experience with new monroe struts for the 960s? Do I have to resort to coilovers? I really dont want to spend a grand or two on shocks.

Big thanks.

By the way, I know these cars in and out. The most I've gotten out of one is 250K miles. I'm happy to help if you have any questions.

#2 ·
I just got my first 960 (97 wagon.)
The only thing I’ve found for mods are threads that say there are no mods.
I saw a little bit about coilovers, but I think they were on an earlier 960.
I’d be curious what you find out.
I like it as the logical progression from the 245s and 945s I’ve had. But a bit bummedto lose the tinkering potential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.