Ordered a set of Continental PureContact LS - Opinions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ordered a set of Continental PureContact LS - Opinions

So last July I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 in 245/40R19 for my V60 RD and 14,500 miles later, they're at 3/32nds.
      I removed them in November when swapping my winter wheels on and just put them back on at the end of March.
      I couldn't believe that in 14,500 miles, they were that low so I hit up Tire Rack and they gave me a 20% discount on anything I wanted to replace them.

I couldn't decide between the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's or the Continental PureContact LS's. I also was considering Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but ended up ruling out those and the DWS 06's because I drive about 38,000 miles a year.

Anyone else running the PureContact LS? Like it? Hate it?
      2015.5 V60 R Design Platinum w/ Polestar Tune
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Powerflex Race Torque Rod Inserts
      Magnaflow 11265 Muffler w/ 4" Tips
      Philips Extreme Vision D3S HIDs
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      Current: 235/40R19 Continental PureContact LS
      Previous: 245/40R19 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:
      235/40R19 Continental VikingContact 7
      19" XC40 31445813 5 Spokes

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking at "all season" tires if you have a separate set of snow tires?

A summer tire will ride better, perform better and look better than any all season.

Just my 0.02.

To answer your question. I had the DWS 06's on my last car. They were a good 3 season tire with acceptable snow performance. Not as good as a snow tire, obviously. Wear was average. Ride was ok to good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Call me crazy but look the General G-Max AS-05. One of the best tires I have ever driven on and probably the best ever on wet roads. Yes I know that aren't expensive but read the reviews. I went from Extreme Contacts to Eagle F1 Asymectrical to these and I will never go back. That said, do not drive them in the winter, they are worse than bad when they get below 20 or so.
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      Just out of curiosity, why are you looking at "all season" tires if you have a separate set of snow tires?

A summer tire will ride better, perform better and look better than any all season.
      I'd just assume he wants longer tread life. He had the Firehawk Indy 500's, which are marketed as an ultra-high performance summer tire and lasted him barely 14,500 miles, with no tread wear warranty. The tires he is looking at have 50k and 70k mile warranties. The suggested General tires also have a 6yr/50k mile pro-rated warranty.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      I'd just assume he wants longer tread life. He had the Firehawk Indy 500's, which are marketed as an ultra-high performance summer tire and lasted him barely 14,500 miles, with no tread wear warranty. The tires he is looking at have 50k and 70k mile warranties. The suggested General tires also have a 6yr/50k mile pro-rated warranty.
      If this is the thought process I can understand that; not everyone has dynamics in mind. I just peeked at his signature and saw rear ARB and assumed he was.

This is correct - Being that I drive as much as I do and am on the highway for 100 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, I figured practicality vs performance would make more sense. Honestly, aside from the less than subpar life of the Firestones, they've been awesome tires. Very good in the rain, fairly quiet even at highway speeds, super sticky, stiff sidewalls and zero boaty feeling. Heck, I threw them back on March 25th, 2020 and had to drive them through a couple of our late NW Pennsylvania snow falls and they honestly did well. AWD of course helps but I was pretty impressed.

Adding to the last part, I figured even though I have a dedicated winter wheel/tire set up, I would probably be best to have an all season set up so I don't run into that is it time to take them off and put the summers on yet vice versus in the fall situation. We have days that can be 30 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon or be warm and sunny in the morning and snowing in the afternoon haha. It's pretty bi-polar here!

I've never had a Grand Touring tire so to speak so we'll see how these are. They were the same price as the DWS 06's but have a longer mileage warranty.
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

Quote Originally Posted by JasonV60RD View Post
      This is correct - Being that I drive as much as I do and am on the highway for 100 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, I figured practicality vs performance would make more sense. Honestly, aside from the less than subpar life of the Firestones, they've been awesome tires. Very good in the rain, fairly quiet even at highway speeds, super sticky, stiff sidewalls and zero boaty feeling. Heck, I threw them back on March 25th, 2020 and had to drive them through a couple of our late NW Pennsylvania snow falls and they honestly did well. AWD of course helps but I was pretty impressed.

Adding to the last part, I figured even though I have a dedicated winter wheel/tire set up, I would probably be best to have an all season set up so I don't run into that is it time to take them off and put the summers on yet vice versus in the fall situation. We have days that can be 30 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon or be warm and sunny in the morning and snowing in the afternoon haha. It's pretty bi-polar here!

I've never had a Grand Touring tire so to speak so we'll see how these are. They were the same price as the DWS 06's but have a longer mileage warranty.
      Sounds like Michigan

If you're not tracking your car or beating the snot out of it, why not use all seasons? I run Pirelli Cinturato P7+ A/S on the S60 and they are great. I've had performance tires and have had bad experiences with all of them in terms of noise, life, and odd wear. This is the first set of tires I have liked aside from the stock Michelin Primacy tires that came on the C30 or V50.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Look forward to seeing how you like them.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      If you're not tracking your car or beating the snot out of it, why not use all seasons? I run Pirelli Cinturato P7+ A/S on the S60 and they are great. I've had performance tires and have had bad experiences with all of them in terms of noise, life, and odd wear. This is the first set of tires I have liked aside from the stock Michelin Primacy tires that came on the C30 or V50.
      +1 on the Pirellis. We're running a set of the updated Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+ IIs and like them very much.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

I am a devoted Tire Rack fan boy. You can learn a hellava lot about tire choice on their website. I've been buying whatever they reccommend since before the internet and have never been dissapointed.

I have the Continental Pure Contacts on a Mazda 6, and we like them a lot. My wife drives our S60 (2017 Inscription Platinum) and we just replaced the OEM P7s at 20K miles with BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sports. It's difficult to compare a 2 or 3/32 tire to a brand new one, but the new tires ride much better than the Pirellis. Not sure about their cornering yet as it has not seen much spirited driving lately. I also have heard good things about the General Gmax, and those were in play for the S60 until there was a great instant savings deal at Costco for the BF Goodrich tires we ultimately purchased. Good luck.

You want opinions on a tire, but you already bought the tire?
      I gotta say, I don't quite understand this thread.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      You want opinions on a tire, but you already bought the tire?
      I gotta say, I don't quite understand this thread.
      Opinion and feedback of that specific tire, if anyone has them? Not sure what's so hard to understand here.
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

Quote Originally Posted by ddubya View Post
      we just replaced the OEM P7s at 20K miles with BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sports.
      Oof! Those didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ddubya View Post
      we just replaced the OEM P7s at 20K miles with BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sports.
      Oof! Those didn't last long.
      Nope. I could have coaxed another few thousand miles out of them, but they were 2/32 on 1 axle and 3/32 on the other, so just decided to replace as it has been a very wet Spring in north Texas and they were getting a little squirrely in the rain. They were rotated regularly and had an alignment at 15K miles, so maybe they just didn't wear very well. The new tires have a 60K treadwear warranty, so if we get 40K out of them I'll be happy.

Opinion and feedback of that specific tire, if anyone has them? Not sure what's so hard to understand here.
      What is the point if you already bought the tire?

Call me crazy, but don't people usually start tire threads asking for feedback/opinions before buying the tire?

What is the point if you already bought the tire?

Call me crazy, but don't people usually start tire threads asking for feedback/opinions before buying the tire?
      The point of the thread was to gather feedback on the tire prior to having it installed so I have an idea of what to expect outside of the typical reviews on TireRack and such.
      I mean do you have a point here going back and forth on why I created a post asking for feedback on a tire after I've already purchased it?
      Do you run either tire mentioned in my post or are you just bored this week and out to bust some balls over literally nothing?
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

The point of the thread was to gather feedback on the tire prior to having it installed so I have an idea of what to expect outside of the typical reviews on TireRack and such.
      I mean do you have a point here going back and forth on why I created a post asking for feedback on a tire after I've already purchased it?
      Do you run either tire mentioned in my post or are you just bored this week and out to bust some balls over literally nothing?
      I just noticed that you have the two sets of tires you run listed in your signature, which is uncommon. From that I gather you are a little more obsessed with your tires than most. This thread now makes more sense.

The Indy 500 is supposed to be a pretty good tire and I’ve never heard anything beyond a handful of positive reviews, and nothing that points to them being a tire that wears extremely quickly. I will say this: These cars can eat tires extremely quickly if the alignment is off. In particular, I have found that rear toe seems to be a source of tire wear which will establish odd wear patterns early in the life of the tire and the tires will wear quickly and loudly after that even if they are rotated. Getting an alignment at any point after they have started wearing funny may be locking the proverbial barn door after the horse escaped, so to speak.

Also, just because you got an alignment doesn’t necessarily mean you got a *good* alignment. The level of competence from one alignment tech to the next can vary greatly. I’d recommend getting it done at a very reputable shop or a Volvo dealership and not some national discount tire chain where techs often aren’t good at what they do and might be too over-booked to really take the time needed to get it right. I ate through a set of Conti DWS06 in probably 10k miles due to rear toe, and those tires usually have good tire life. Sometimes it’s the car itself that consumes tires, and not the tire itself that caused premature wear.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Sometimes it’s the car itself that consumes tires, and not the tire itself that caused premature wear.
      This is true.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

Also, just because you got an alignment doesn’t necessarily mean you got a *good* alignment. The level of competence from one alignment tech to the next can vary greatly. I’d recommend getting it done at a very reputable shop or a Volvo dealership and not some national discount tire chain where techs often aren’t good at what they do and might be too over-booked to really take the time needed to get it right.
      This ^. I've had enough bad experiences at these places that it's worth paying the extra $50 to get someone who actually knows what they're doing.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      +1 on the Pirellis. We're running a set of the updated Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+ IIs and like them very much.
      +1. Yup, got my vote.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Quote Originally Posted by msmith View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      +1. Yup, got my vote.
      Are they as quiet as people say they are? That’s a huge selling point for me given this platform’s propensity for transmitting any tire noise into the cabin.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Are they as quiet as people say they are? That’s a huge selling point for me given this platform’s propensity for transmitting any tire noise into the cabin.
      Hi Bunnspeed,

Yes, they are very quiet and perform well. Just my opinion, but I think these are great tires. Highly recommended. I find these handle great in both dry and wet conditions.

Now...if you're looking for performance and going in and out of corners at high speeds...you may want to look for more of a performance tire. For daily driving, these are excellent.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

I have a different opinion on the Pirellies, but I may be more of an aggressive driver than you. I have had three different sets, on three different cars (2015 V60, 2017 S60 and a 99 E20 Mercedes) and didn't care for them on any application. They were quiet, but I found the driving dynamics to be lacking. I replaced them with Yoko Advan A/S and A/S+ on both Volvos and was much happier.
      2015.5 V60 E-Drive - Flaminco Red with Sport Package - Eibachs, IPD Rear Bar, Polestar Tune, Tow Hitch, IPD Undertray, K&N Drop-In, Upper Torque Mount, LED headlights, Air Bag Load Levelers, RD brake upgrade with 336mm rotors front/vented rear - Tow vehicle for my racecar.
      2020 S60 Inscription - Pine Grey - Wife's driver.

Formerly owned Volvos:
      2017 S60 Inscription, 1994 850 Turbo Wagon, 1992 740 Turbo, 1990 240, 1987 245 Wagon, 1975 245 Wagon with a B20F, 1972 Volvo 1800E.

Are they [the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ II] as quiet as people say they are? That’s a huge selling point for me given this platform’s propensity for transmitting any tire noise into the cabin.
      My comparison: We run Michelin X-Ice XI-3 winter tires which are very quiet. When we installed the Pirellis, there was very little increase in the noise level. High praise indeed.

As to performance, for spirited on-street driving, we find them to be more than adequate but they aren't dedicated performance tires. If you are used to ultra high performance, hot rod tires, you'll likely be disappointed.
      Last edited by halfast3; 05-27-2020 at 05:44 PM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

I just noticed that you have the two sets of tires you run listed in your signature, which is uncommon. From that I gather you are a little more obsessed with your tires than most. This thread now makes more sense.
      Is this not a forum? What is the purpose of forums? To gather information and discuss information, correct?
      Now what if someone's interested in specific tires or shopping and happens to scroll across a comment I made and notices my signature like yourself and takes the liberty of replying to me or messaging me directly, asking my input and opinion of said tire(s)? Wouldn't that be gathering information on a public forum in a sense?

It's comical that regardless of the reasoning I give you for making a post looking for feedback on a tire I had already purchased, you choose to ignore and still dismiss it.
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

I had my alignment done prior to installing these from a Certified Volvo Master Tech who now runs his own shop.
      I don't and never have taken any of my vehicles to very reputable shops or I stick to the same shop.

Like I said, the Firestones were phenomenal in every aspect expect the life. I understand the vehicle itself plays an effect if not properly aligned but regardless, 15,000 miles on a summer tire and it being gone that much, just surprised me and required me to get a new tire.
      Last edited by JasonV60RD; 05-27-2020 at 09:33 AM.
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

Personally, a little off the beaten path but I've been in the same predicament as you but with a different tire setup. The best AS performance tire I've used with a good balance of life in was the Michelin premier A/S. I got about 43k out of the set (Still had 2.5-3.5/32nd all around, rotated obviously), driven pretty hard on an B7 A4 Avant S-line.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

I know I'll get chewed up for this, but I have the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 on my XC60. It's an absolute bargain. 65k treadlife warranty and my local NTB discounts them to like $99/ea in a 235/60/18. I'm on my second set, which I only paid $385 out the door for after the prorate of the first set, which made it 47,000 miles. They grip great wet and dry, are whisper quiet, and compliment the Volvo's taut and controlled ride characteristics to boot. I don't see why any sane rational person would pay 2 or 3 times what these cost for Michelins. I wish they came in 225/60/17 for my minivan, the Firestones on it suck!

Is this not a forum? What is the purpose of forums? To gather information and discuss information, correct?
      Now what if someone's interested in specific tires or shopping and happens to scroll across a comment I made and notices my signature like yourself and takes the liberty of replying to me or messaging me directly, asking my input and opinion of said tire(s)? Wouldn't that be gathering information on a public forum in a sense?

It's comical that regardless of the reasoning I give you for making a post looking for feedback on a tire I had already purchased, you choose to ignore and still dismiss it.
      If your point was to start another tire discussion thread. Cool, you accomplished that. If your point was to get information on a tire you already bought, I still don't get the point. But at least it turned into a decent tire discussion thread. It would, of course, be better to piggy back off the last tire discussion thread rather than start a new one, but oh well. The mods on this forum are very hands off and I love that, so I'm not saying this thread should be modded or anything like that. But I've been on forums before where people are questioned about starting ANOTHER XYZ discussion thread. When a forum has a lot of new threads, I think that sort of nudging people not to do this sort of stuff is helpful. Maybe I'm in the minority. I've also been on several forums where your signature length would be way beyond the limit.
      Last edited by meade18; 05-28-2020 at 12:28 AM.

If your point was to start another tire discussion thread. Cool, you accomplished that. If your point was to get information on a tire you already bought, I still don't get the point. But at least it turned into a decent tire discussion thread. It would, of course, be better to piggy back off the last tire discussion thread rather than start a new one, but oh well. The mods on this forum are very hands off and I love that, so I'm not saying this thread should be modded or anything like that. But I've been on forums before where people are questioned about starting ANOTHER XYZ discussion thread. When a forum has a lot of new threads, I think that sort of nudging people not to do this sort of stuff is helpful. Maybe I'm in the minority. I've also been on several forums where your signature length would be way beyond the limit.
      And again, what is your point? You're arguing back and forth over literally nothing. Complaining I made a post about a specific tire instead of piggy backing off of a random thread about X tires, that I made a thread about a tire I already purchased, that my signature is too long? Literally nothing you're complaining about is even remotely valid. It just isn't how you see fit. You've provided literally no useful information in this thread from the beginning haha.
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:

And again, what is your point? You're arguing back and forth over literally nothing. Complaining I made a post about a specific tire instead of piggy backing off of a random thread about X tires, that I made a thread about a tire I already purchased, that my signature is too long? Literally nothing you're complaining about is even remotely valid. It just isn't how you see fit. You've provided literally no useful information in this thread from the beginning haha.
      Let it go, guys...

Attachment 61543
      Last edited by gobluetwo; 05-28-2020 at 10:24 AM.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Let it go, guys...

Attachment 61543
      This.

I think the lockdown has people getting a little antsy.
      12.99 at 109mph

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements