Pioneering Wide Wheel/Tire Fitment for Polestar: 275/35 X 19's
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Pioneering Wide Wheel/Tire Fitment for Polestar: 275/35 X 19's

I have owned my 2016 V60 P8 for four years now and have been modifying it steadily along the way. Always nagging in the background was going to a wider wheel and tire setup. This is a heavy street car, and when its pressed hard into a corner the front tires simply cannot stand up to the forces. This is exacerbated by the narrow profile 20" tire wheel combo, which was more of a styling decision, than a performance choice by Volvo. This choice also contributed to a harsh ride and the obnoxious tire drone we have all complained about. On the flip, I loved the OEM VST wheels and have long thought they are one of the signature features of the car. I ran 15mm spacers behind them, had them custom powder coated, and was pretty happy. But all things must pass, and with my engine, suspension and appearance modifications pretty much completed, this last large hurdle had nowhere to hide.

Perhaps the biggest barrier to me in going with an aftermarket wheel and tire setup was my own lack of expertise in this area. Tire sizing numbers were all greek to me, and the number of different tire/wheel combinations bewildering, that, and you can spend $4,000 and have a setup that just doesn't really work on the car. Fortunately for me, Peter Ontiveros (@tshirtdriving) from San Diego was already pioneering solutions. He had posted his success with a couple of different wheel tire combos to a 265 x 19 width, and was working with a custom wheel manufacturer located in my backyard in Glendale California (Project 6gr). With these two resources in play I took the plunge and together we pioneered probably the widest fitment to date under OEM fenders.

The final combination was a Michelin Pilot 4s in 275/35R (100Y) on a Project 6gr 10 spoke rim 19" X 9.5" Fitting the combination to a stock Polestar requires rolling the fender lip front and rear, trimming the plastic inner fender liner, having adjustable front/rear camber, and, if you are running the Rotora Street Challenge rear calipers you will need a 3mm spacer and 38mm wheel bolts (rear hubs only).

The Project 6GR 10 spoke rim (42mm offset) with a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire in 275/35R-19 (100Y) is; 0.7% smaller in circumference than the OEM setup, 12.5% wider, 11.8% taller (sidewall profile), with a total mounted weight that is 1/2 pound less (227g) than OEM. The resulting setup puts 15% more tire between the car and the road and increases the width of the car's track by 3 inches (7.62cm). The additional tire mass is perhaps the biggest benefit, as it will prolong tread life and grip on the track as the tires heat up.

I have about 400 miles on the combination so far and I can share that it offers a significant upgrade in grip and stability. Sections of canyon roads I would normally take at 50 mph are comfortable at 60mph now. Gone is being able to hear and feel the front tires scrub away during a hard turn in. The setup also rides better, is more pothole resistant than OEM, and is very quiet.

Budget: $3,000-$3,500USD

Special recognition to Peter Ontiveros for his technical expertise in rolling my fenders and setting up my suspension for this application. (BTW: Referral pricing is available, contact Peter or I).

I will add additional details to this post on a few additional modifications I performed which I thought were necessary, my camber and toe settings, and performance outcomes. Stay tuned!

https://project6gr.com/
      https://www.michelinman.com/
      https://otisincla.com/product/14mmx1...h-zinc-plated/
      http://www.motorsport-tech.com/index.html

Need For Speed LA Showroom by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

Untitled by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

Untitled by LCF Polestar, on Flickr
      Last edited by OscarII; 05-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is awesome. I’m amazed that you were able to fit that much tire without substantial body work. Any pics of inside the wheel wells? I’m curious exactly how the fenders and liners were manipulated to work with that beefy setup. I have a hard enough time fitting my 235/40/18s on stock wheels on my T6, haha. I might be a bit lower than you, but still. Very impressive how much you’ve been able to accomplish while still keeping a car that looks very OEM+.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

There is no way to describe this car with that tire and wheel setup while staying family friendly

Also props to that photographer!
      Wish my Canon T6 had the ability to take that high of quality shots.

Not to go too far off topic but let me guess...Sony A7rii?
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive. Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Proximity Sensors. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Perforated Soft Beige. 122K. (2011-)
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Convenience Package. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Proximity Sensors. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 103K. (2010-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      This is awesome. I’m amazed that you were able to fit that much tire without substantial body work. Any pics of inside the wheel wells? I’m curious exactly how the fenders and liners were manipulated to work with that beefy setup. I have a hard enough time fitting my 235/40/18s on stock wheels on my T6, haha. I might be a bit lower than you, but still. Very impressive how much you’ve been able to accomplish while still keeping a car that looks very OEM+.
      Yes, I will post more on those areas. I am held up by a broken phone which has the photos on it. The trick is the rim. The rim centers the tire in the available fender space. I was running 15mm spacers with the OEM wheel, so figure I had moved the outer face of the wheel out 15mm, which vacates 15mm on the inside. Add those 30mm to the stock 245 and your at 275. Another key was the profile of the tire itself. Project 6GR basically only wanted to work with the Pilot 4S, because they know that tire's profile well. Another 275 tire brand may not fit.

The fender mod Peter did was a standard "roll", flattened the fender lip back against the fender itself, front and rear. On the plastic fender liner he removed the part that arcs down to meet the lip on the outside of the liner, the rest is left in place. It just seems to sit up there by itself.

I did two things: I sprayed all newly exposed metal in the inner fender well with 3M rubberized undercoating. This is an excellent product made specifically for this purpose. Second, I made panels at the front of the inner fender area to protect the wiper reservoir on the drivers side and the AC pot on the passenger side. Both fender liners had holes in them at this location because my OEM wheels on 15mm spacers rubbed through the fender liner.

When the car is sitting at rest, it looks as if the rear tires will never recede into the fender well. But they do and there is no rubbing. Rumor has it there is an even wider fitment coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Cars View Post
      There is no way to describe this car with that tire and wheel setup while staying family friendly

Also props to that photographer!
      Wish my Canon T6 had the ability to take that high of quality shots.

Not to go too far off topic but let me guess...Sony A7rii?
      I will ask her. I have worked with Dana before and after I saw her work, I realized how limiting a smart phone is.

If you want to follow her on IG: https://www.instagram.com/dkphoto_dodgecharger/?hl=en

Thank you for the shout out A good way to know how much of the inner fender liner to cut is it is made of two parts, a fabric type and plastic. I left ample room after the fastening screws on the rear side of the fenders (front and rear) about a fist of space before making the cut there, then on the front side (front first) about where the fender meets the bumper, then on the front of the rears about the same height as I did for the rear portion. This material is the plastic part that get completely cut out till you meet the fabric. There are still all the oem fasteners attached and the shape stays true to form. I have tracked several events with this set up and have not had issues with the inner fenders falling down or rubbing. As mentioned above you have to know your tire dimensions as I use bridgestone re71r and can only fit a 265/35/19 tire in there as the every tire manufacture has a different true size despite what the side of the tire says. Also if anyone is in SoCal I am can do the fender rolling for you as well. I am in San Diego.

Thank you Peter for the additional information!

To Follow Peter: https://www.instagram.com/tshirtdriving/

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements