XC90 Engine Swap nightmare
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 Engine Swap nightmare

Hello guys. Deperately need some advice here. Car is 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T. The original engine was damaged and had to be replaced. When we replaced the engine we brought over the ECU with the new engine. Car wouldnt start and throws a ECM710B error code. We then discovered that the CEM has been water damaged and was non-functional so we picked up a used CEM off eBay. We then sent to some guys in Staten Island to have the CEM programmed. However the old CEM could not be read and so the new CEM was programmed based off the VIN I believe. Either way, a couple hundred bucks later and car still won't start. I live in Kingston, Jamaica and unfortunately we do not have a Volvo dealer here. So we took it to a small Volvo shop and here's what we've been told: I need to locate a donor volvo and take the ECU, TCM, CEM, DIM, Brake Control Module and steering column (and keys) from that Volvo and replace all of these modules in my car. So far, I've been able to locate a donor vehicle with all the parts except the DIM (instrument cluster). My questions is this: 1. Does this course of action (replacing all modules and steering column) sound correct? 2. If so, is there any way to change all the parts i've located and still keep the original DIM (and possibly program it to the 5 new parts)? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ugh! This sounds rough.
      Hopefully someone can answer your question. If not, maybe the Volvo dealership in Puerto Rico can help give you some better guidance.
      The solution you received does not sound rational.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by jubba View Post
      When we replaced the engine we brought over the ECU with the new engine. Car wouldnt start and throws a ECM710B error code. We then discovered that the CEM has been water damaged and was non-functional so we picked up a used CEM off eBay. We then sent to some guys in Staten Island to have the CEM programmed. However the old CEM could not be read and so the new CEM -------------------------------- Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.
      OK - Most modules in the car are programmed to the existing VIN and cannot be simply replaced with used parts. Generally used modules will not work. They cannot be recoded using the Volvo Software VIDA. So you will have to use the original ECU and CEM. A company such as Xemodex could easily solve your problems. Unfortunately they are in Canada, but they can repair your water damaged CEM or possibly reprogram your used Ebay unit and ship internationally.

Hopefully that would cost less in time and effort than replacing all the control units coded to your original VIN. (which may also include replacing the CCM (climate), UEM (locks), REM(bunch of stuff), AUD (audio system) and others.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't think that mechanic said the right things. I doubt you need any of the donor modules. I think you shouldn't have used the donor ECU because then you have to reprogram everything in your car. And I'm sure you don't need to swap the DIM, that's why I'm saying that garage is questionable. Why didn't they just swap the engine alone ? Maybe the places who are doing the work don't really know about these cars. As for your faulty CEM, you can send it to https://xemodex.com/ in Canada - going to be a bit expensive. You may also contact this guy, and ask him about the modules, he's in Europe somewhere and can program modules remotely if you have the Dice
      https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=80237
      https://translate.google.by/translat...-text=&act=url
      Last edited by Orange; 05-27-2020 at 07:17 AM.

I actually spoke to Xemodex and they said that they would be able to help me but only IF i had the original ECU. But guess what, the garage lost it during the swap. (Yes i know the garage clearly appears to be over their head, but unfortunately, we don't have a dealer here so they are the only game in town). Xemodex says they would need the actual original chips from the ECU. Without it, i'm out of luck from that standpoint. I understand that all the modules have to be coded to the VIN, but if we replace ALL these modules as suggested, wouldnt we have now replaced all the inter-related modules (essentially tricking the modules that they are still in the donor vehicle?). I think this is the general principle that the garage is operating under.

So an update guys. I just located a 2004 XC90 in the US for a real good price. Same engine as mine. Here's what i'm thinking. Buy that car and scrap it for every module and related part that i need. A reverse-engine swap if you will. This would work out economically for me as its much cheaper to ship the parts to Jamaica. Would this solve my problem as i'd be able to replace every single interrelated part that i need. What do you guys think?

What would the fellows across the water in Cuba do with it? Is there nothing available to be able to turn these things back to a normal car? It seems like some creative genius is needed here.
      07 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
      What would the fellows across the water in Cuba do with it? Is there nothing available to be able to turn these things back to a normal car? It seems like some creative genius is needed here.
      Indeed. But that creativity is capped right now because of the Covid19 closed borders. I'm really beginning to like the idea of just buying this donor vehicle and setting it aside for this and future parts.

Would this solve my problem as i'd be able to replace every single interrelated part that i need.
      No, unless you have unlimited time and money to spend on a 14 year old car. And there is no guarantee the 2004 modules will work in the 2006 - It certainly is not something i would have ever attempted (and i've done some pretty dumb car stuff in the last 45 years) This also sounds like you would be paying (your garage?) to do this work. Realistically - you are going to want ac, windows, electric locks, music, fuel pump, brake lights - almost everything is on a can or fiber optic network on this car, and very hard to diagnose when there is a problem. Also when you dismantle your parts car, or the car you are trying to make run - other stuff is going to break.

Have you ever driven this car someone lost the ECU to? What else is worn out on it? It would be common for a 14 year old XC90t5 to have transmission problems. Especially one that had a blown up motor. (might have come from a general lack of maintenance.)

Why not just buy a running car?

Disregard. I think though that the car is needing to go to someone who knows what they are doing in order to fix it. Good luck with it.
      Last edited by vince1; 05-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
      07 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
      No, unless you have unlimited time and money to spend on a 14 year old car. And there is no guarantee the 2004 modules will work in the 2006 - It certainly is not something i would have ever attempted (and i've done some pretty dumb car stuff in the last 45 years) This also sounds like you would be paying (your garage?) to do this work. Realistically - you are going to want ac, windows, electric locks, music, fuel pump, brake lights - almost everything is on a can or fiber optic network on this car, and very hard to diagnose when there is a problem. Also when you dismantle your parts car, or the car you are trying to make run - other stuff is going to break.

Have you ever driven this car someone lost the ECU to? What else is worn out on it? It would be common for a 14 year old XC90t5 to have transmission problems. Especially one that had a blown up motor. (might have come from a general lack of maintenance.)

Why not just buy a running car?
      Thats the problem Hoonk. Because there are no dealers here, these cars are super rare here. Not to mention super expensive because to import one, there's a 100% import tax, plus the fact that you can't import anything over 4 years old, mean buying one of the new XC90s and then paying for it again just to bring it into the country. You guys don't know how lucky you have it. I'll admit, I'm also drawn to the idea of bringing it back to life rather than throwing in the towel and getting (dare i say it), a Toyota.
      Last edited by jubba; 05-27-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Update... So I've found a savage in Atlanta who's willing to give me all the parts I need (ECU. CEM, BSM, steering column etc) for roughly $300. Factor in another $150 to ship to Jamaica and about $400 labour, fingers crossed I should get it up and running for less than a grand. Fingers crossed that this "reverse engine swap" works.

So I've found a savage in Atlanta who's willing to give me all the parts I need (ECU. CEM, BSM, steering column etc) for roughly $300. Factor in another $150 to ship to Jamaica and about $400 labour, fingers crossed I should get it up and running for less than a grand. Fingers crossed that this "reverse engine swap" works.
      Which junkyard - Voluparts or Auto disassembly? I live there and being a Volvo shop owner for 40 years have known all those guys. However I only did business with Auto Disassembly once, their phone prices were not the same as what you paid when you actually went to pick up the parts, but they have been in business for many years.

On replacement modules - If you want the windows to work you MIGHT need the DDM and PDM. If you want the remote locks/alarm to work you WILL need the UEM (rear view mirror), if you want the rear lights, rear door locks, fuel pump to work you WILL need the REM. If you want the radio/cd to work you WILL need the AUD, if you want the transmission to work you WILL need the TCU, if you want the speedometer and gauges to work, you MIGHT need the DIM. if you want the AWD to work you WILL need the DEM - fingers tired, must stop now.

If yours is a right hand drive car (Jamaica), what are the differences in left hand drive control units, and wiring harnesses, and steering column? And why do you need the steering column? The antenna ring and SWM (steering wheel module, both need no programming), are easily removable. What happens after another $1000 gets spent and your shop still can't get it to run, or the transmission is bad? Or your trusted junkyard sends you a bunch of non returnable random modules that MIGHT be in working condition (after sitting outside for x years ) and might have come out of the same (compatible) car?

If your only holdup at this point is an ECU that works - you could buy a new ECU from Volvo and get it programmed. It would have to be programmed in the car so the person doing that would have to have a DICE unit or compatible tool, A VIDA subscription, and have the brains to figure out how to make it all work. It can be a steep learning curve - but somebody in Jamaica must have experience with automotive module recoding.

Which junkyard - Voluparts or Auto disassembly? I live there and being a Volvo shop owner for 40 years have known all those guys. However I only did business with Auto Disassembly once, their phone prices were not the same as what you paid when you actually went to pick up the parts, but they have been in business for many years.

On replacement modules - If you want the windows to work you MIGHT need the DDM and PDM. If you want the remote locks/alarm to work you WILL need the UEM (rear view mirror), if you want the rear lights, rear door locks, fuel pump to work you WILL need the REM. If you want the radio/cd to work you WILL need the AUD, if you want the transmission to work you WILL need the TCU, if you want the speedometer and gauges to work, you MIGHT need the DIM. if you want the AWD to work you WILL need the DEM - fingers tired, must stop now.

If yours is a right hand drive car (Jamaica), what are the differences in left hand drive control units, and wiring harnesses, and steering column? And why do you need the steering column? The antenna ring and SWM (steering wheel module, both need no programming), are easily removable. What happens after another $1000 gets spent and your shop still can't get it to run, or the transmission is bad? Or your trusted junkyard sends you a bunch of non returnable random modules that MIGHT be in working condition (after sitting outside for x years ) and might have come out of the same (compatible) car?

If your only holdup at this point is an ECU that works - you could buy a new ECU from Volvo and get it programmed. It would have to be programmed in the car so the person doing that would have to have a DICE unit or compatible tool, A VIDA subscription, and have the brains to figure out how to make it all work. It can be a steep learning curve - but somebody in Jamaica must have experience with automotive module recoding.
      Thanks Hoonk. This is very, very helpful. Its neither Voluparts or Auto Dissassembly. A friend of mine in Atlanta found a salvage yard on craiglist with a number of whole volvos parting out. I think i can get all those modules you indicated for under $500.

The car was imported from the US so it is left hand drive. I think i need the entire steering column because I will need to bring over the new keys and all related modules in the column but I will double check to ensure that it isnt just the SWM i need. I checked the ECU programming option with a Volvo dealer in Florida. Its about $6000 to purchase and program a new ECU and for that, the car would have to be sent to Miami. So now you see why $1000 makes it a worthwhile gamble. For the record, there are only a handful of XC90s here in Jamaica. Believe me when I say they are extremely rare.

I think i need the entire steering column because I will need to bring over the new keys and all related modules
      Yes you will need the steering column lock and keys (the part you put the key in, but not the entire column) because the new key will be what the new CEM wants to see. The steering column lock is held on with two bolts. The antenna ring and steering wheel module (if it has one) are not tied to the VIN. Try to get the remote from the donor car also, yours will not work and can't be reprogrammed. Of course you will have to have a separate key for the door and tailgate lock.

I actually spoke to Xemodex and they said that they would be able to help me but only IF i had the original ECU. But guess what, the garage lost it during the swap.
      I think that you should make some super human effort to find that "lost" module. As noted by others, a lot of things are related to that module, not the least of which is the ignition key. If you had the ignition key fob for the donor engine/module, it may start, but the remainder of the vehicle inter-relations would still be a problem as hoonk listed for you. Find that module! It still occupies space somewhere.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

This sounds like such a nightmare that I’d probably want to drop a Honda / Nissan 6 banger in there and call it a day.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      This sounds like such a nightmare that I’d probably want to drop a Honda / Nissan 6 banger in there and call it a day.
      Or buy a local toyota!

I would never entertain the idea of replacing all control units tied to a different VIN in a Volvo hoping to make it run on a remote Caribbean island with no dealer, no VIDA, and nobody that appears to know what they are doing. I would never even attempt that in the USA with VIDA and both cars next to each other.

Just polish it up and put it in the driveway.

Or buy a local toyota!

I would never entertain the idea of replacing all control units tied to a different VIN in a Volvo hoping to make it run on a remote Caribbean island with no dealer, no VIDA, and nobody that appears to know what they are doing. I would never even attempt that in the USA with VIDA and both cars next to each other.

Yah Man could not agree more...LOL...
      2005 XC90 V8 TF-80SC 122k miles

Or buy a local toyota!

Concur. Too daunting a task with too much risk for possibly too little benefit and a ton of frustration.

"Aye, Trevor .... weh di nearest Volvo deala? Ras mash and go, no go!"
      "Cho! Jah, eh eena akrass di ocean. Puerto Rico. Pack yuh roti an sorrel brudda."

Somebody could make a good go of setting these things up for a small block chevy. It would be one time when the distributor in the back has an advantage. I guess it would be on the driver's side.
      07 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Concur. Too daunting a task with too much risk for possibly too little benefit and a ton of frustration.

"Aye, Trevor .... weh di nearest Volvo deala? Ras mash and go, no go!"
      "Cho! Jah, eh eena akrass di ocean. Puerto Rico. Pack yuh roti an sorrel brudda."
      hahahahaaaa Trevor is my cousin. You guys are crazy. Despite the daunting task, I'm still willing to try. At least it gives me something interesting to do while locked down under covid. I've given myself a max budget of $1500 to get her up and running. If i do, i would have ended up paying 40% (car + parts + labour) of what a new used one would cost. Thats why i'm still interested in pushing ahead. Wish me look. Hoonk's advice has helped to save me some of the headache as i'd just get all the necessary modules at once. Wish me luck

hahahahaaaa Trevor is my cousin. You guys are crazy. Despite the daunting task, I'm still willing to try. At least it gives me something interesting to do while locked down under covid. I've given myself a max budget of $1500 to get her up and running. If i do, i would have ended up paying 40% (car + parts + labour) of what a new used one would cost. Thats why i'm still interested in pushing ahead. Wish me look. Hoonk's advice has helped to save me some of the headache as i'd just get all the necessary modules at once. Wish me luck

I’m part Caribbean...
      We all have at least one cousin named Trevor.

Good luck. I hope everything works out in the end.

+1 for XemodeX. I had a fault in a CEM section. Bought a new module, sent it off to XemodeX, and had the new part within the week. As I recall it wasn't exactly plug and play. There was a learning section that had to be done through ViDA, but it was automatic.

I'm curious. What was the final outcome?

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements