'08 XC90 active headlight adjustment maxed out
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

'08 XC90 active headlight adjustment maxed out

So I just bought an '08 V8 XC90 sport and it has the active bending headlights. When I drove the car home it was light out and all test drives were done during the day so I didn't notice how extremely low the headlights were aimed. I adjusted them up but in the maxed out position they're still way too low. I assume these headlights have active leveling as well? Do they get a signal from the rear suspension or something? Is there a harness connection that was maybe missed?

The headlights were just replaced because the old ones were very yellowed. Is this just something VIDA has to handle at the dealership to reprogram the new headlights to the car?

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can't answer if these auto level but I wonder if they were not installed correctly, maybe not fit correctly into the mounts as they should be.

Sent from the demons in my head
      Quote Originally Posted by buycurious View Post
      ultimately the problem was just as pdlarson had predicted...
      1999 V70XC / Mostly stock under the hood / Several cosmetic mods inside and out
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive

They're quite fool proof, either they're in properly or the slip pins don't fit back in. But I did remove them to change a marker light and they are both installed properly, the harness to the auto level motor is plugged in, all fuses for the left/right dip function. No codes. All grounds are good.

Not quite sure where to go from here.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The level sensor near the back driver side wheel. I don’t believe throw a “code” on the dash when they go bad and are relatively cheap.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      The level sensor near the back driver side wheel. I don’t believe throw a “code” on the dash when they go bad and are relatively cheap.
      Ah ok, thanks. I'll see if the arm is broken or something. I just read that in northern climate cars the joints can seize and then it snaps the arm going over a large bump.

Wahoo found the problem! The actual level sensor arm isn't attached to anything. Doesn't looks broken, just not attached. Going to lift up the truck tomorrow and further diagnose it.

Anybody know what the heck this bracket is supposed to be connected to? It has two holes, but it doesn't line up with anything on the suspension. I also can't find any photos on google of the arms installed on the car.

Figured it out! I'll leave this here for future reference for anyone else trying to figure this out.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements