Springs/Coilovers Brainstorming
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Springs/Coilovers Brainstorming

My front passenger strut is leaking and the rear sounds like it's hollow knocking. So I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension for my V50 AWD. I do still have the 16" Clavas and lots of speedbumps and potholes in my area, so not looking for anything too low. More looking to just even out the car.

No matter what I do, I'll be getting KYB AGX 741067s for the rear. I've read good things on this forum over the years. Seem like a great value.
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3ZDOS/

So then should I also pick up some adjustable dampening KYB AGXs for the front? Anyone have the model number handy? (733036/7?) And then lowering springs?
      https://www.amazon.com/H-R-29208-2-S...dp/B002NV5JZK/
      https://www.amazon.com/Eibach-PRO-KI...dp/B000Q0QVZC/

Alternatively maybe AGX rear struts and then Raceland Ultimo coilovers?
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KBWX3MG/

Looks like either option would keep to a budget of ~$500-650. Any advice on what might be a better bang for the buck?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just did all of the suspension on my s40 last summer. Went with Koni Yellows in the front and the KYBs you mentioned in the back. I can't speak for the KYB fronts (didnt even know there were any available for awd p1 fronts), but the yellows are a huge improvement and adjustable.

I went with eibach springs also because it's the shortest drop offered for the awd models (1.2") and I don't have the best roads either. I believe all of the AWD versions have the strut spacer plate between the strut mount and the chassis which is about .75". I left mine in but I've read of people not using them to drop more.

I stayed away from coil overs due to the area I live and the roads. Depends on your preference.... I think the shocks and springs is a nice balance between better handling without sacrificing too much of the ride quality. Although if you find a nice set of KW coilovers second hand you may be able to find that balance as well. If I'm not mistaken you would need the V2 to adjust more than just ride height though and those are rather pricey regardless. I'm not too familiar with coil overs but I do know that you get what you pay for with them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by d_eagz13; 05-27-2020 at 11:52 AM.

I'm still really curious about FWD Konis in the front, and focus Konis in the rear instead of the focus KYBs in the rear

PN would be 8041 1286SPORT

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Racelands are terrible, terrible, quality ride. Last time I rode In a vehicle with them it was hard and rough. I damn near lost a filling... Stock would be better than racelands.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

masshole: i too live in New Brunswick, NJ. I have a 2007 V50 T5 AWD M66, dark blue, not sure what Volvo calls it. pvt msg me and we can chat via email or phone.. b happy to give you whatever advice i can.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      Racelands are terrible, terrible, quality ride. Last time I rode In a vehicle with them it was hard and rough. I damn near lost a filling... Stock would be better than racelands.
      Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
      masshole: i too live in New Brunswick, NJ. I have a 2007 V50 T5 AWD M66, dark blue, not sure what Volvo calls it. pvt msg me and we can chat via email or phone.. b happy to give you whatever advice i can.

Very cool! PM'd

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements