What does normal operation of rain sensing wipers look like on P3?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

As I am getting used to my 2nd Volvo XC70 (this one is a '13; first one was an '04), I notice the rain sensing wipers work somewhat differently. They seem to wipe less often than on the P2. On the P2, I found them completely adequate. My question is: when it is raining hard, how frequently (in seconds per wipe) do the rain sense wipers swipe when they are working correctly? My car has the factory windshield and the rain sensor does not look to have been replaced, but I get about 6 seconds between wipes at the fastest, and that is much slower than either the rain sensing setting on the P2 XC70, where they are almost continuous, or on this car in the intermittent setting with the interval as short as possible, where again they are almost continuous. If this is as good as it gets, well then, so be it, but if anyone is getting faster wiping, I might try remounting this sensor with a new gel pad (the current one looks fine), or a whole new sensor. Or just living with it. But I'd like to know how fast they go when they are working "correctly." I'm well aware a lot of people are not fans of this feature, but I thought it was great on my previous Volvo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chapmro View Post
      As I am getting used to my 2nd Volvo XC70 (this one is a '13; first one was an '04), I notice the rain sensing wipers work somewhat differently. They seem to wipe less often than on the P2. On the P2, I found them completely adequate. My question is: when it is raining hard, how frequently (in seconds per wipe) do the rain sense wipers swipe when they are working correctly? My car has the factory windshield and the rain sensor does not look to have been replaced, but I get about 6 seconds between wipes at the fastest, and that is much slower than either the rain sensing setting on the P2 XC70, where they are almost continuous, or on this car in the intermittent setting with the interval as short as possible, where again they are almost continuous. If this is as good as it gets, well then, so be it, but if anyone is getting faster wiping, I might try remounting this sensor with a new gel pad (the current one looks fine), or a whole new sensor. Or just living with it. But I'd like to know how fast they go when they are working "correctly." I'm well aware a lot of people are not fans of this feature, but I thought it was great on my previous Volvo.
      I can say I hated the sensing wipers in my P2 S60 (09), they seemed either too slow or violently too fast.

In my P3 (11 XC60) they work better, the dial does adjust them similarly so that in a hard downpour I wouldn't be surprised to get 2 full sweeps per second, basically full high speed.

Wonder if it's a calibration option in vida
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

They go at high speed when it's raining hard, just like if you had them on the high speed manual setting. Something must be wrong with yours. I've owned a bunch of P3 cars and they've all worked like that.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Works great in our '09, love the feature. Not sure if you're aware of it, but the sensitivity can be adjusted with the dial on the right side stalk.
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Hate the rain sensing wipers so much it’s not even funny anymore. P3 XC70 MY11. Very annoying different speeds every 45 seconds, very distracting too. I just scroll up or down on the intermittent setting. But since I coated my windshield I don’t use the wipers at all anymore. I am selling my sensor for $5, wipers included lol.