06 XC90 wonít start. Completely stumped.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My 2.5 XC90 wonít even try to crank, Iíve replaced the battery and I get all lights and door chimes, etc but when I go to start it it doesnít do anything. Iíve tried another key, replaced the antenna ring (albeit with a used one), cleaned the contact on the wire under the starter, checked all the fuses, swapped the starter relay with the ECM relay (those are the only 2 relays that are the same), checked connections to the CEM and cleaned the battery terminals. Ive tried holding the accelerator pedal to the floor as well as pumping it while I turn the key. Iíve also touched the terminals together for 10 minutes to try to reset the car and Iíve gotten no where. I can hear the starter relay clicking and we tried banging the starter with a mallet but it made no difference. Iíve tried the lock/unlock with the key fob 5 times as well as in the door 5 times (although admittedly I donít think the key hole works properly because every time Iíve unlocked the car in the past itís set off the alarm). I will mention that the alarm siren is unplugged because Iíve been getting the dreaded ďalarm system service messageĒ and I have been waiting for some batteries to arrive to rebuild the unit. Does anyone have any other ideas to try before I pay to get this paperweight towed to a mechanic?
      I have a CFE+ installed in my car and Iíve got the display set to show the Battery power. It sits at about 12 volts and when I try to crank the starter it doesnít move that much (although I donít know if it should or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TrstnBrtt; 05-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrstnBrtt View Post
      My 2.5 XC90 wonít even try to crank,
      Have you checked if you are getting a signal to the solenoid (yes, it's hard to get to the top of the starter, especially with the solenoid cover on) Only two wires on the starter, B+ from the battery and the small signal wire from the ign switch (via immobilizer) . Use a jumper wire between the 2 terminals to manually engage the starter. Then you will know if it's the starter or the signal to it - and if it starts you could drive it to the shop.

Alright, just wanted to post an update. I hooked up my car to VIDA last night but couldnít spend too much time on it because now the new battery is low. The car still wonít start but I cleared the codes and tried to start it and I keep getting one that sticks out at me. CEM-6c48 - Transponder Type. Faulty Signal. I went into the immobilizer tab on Vida and checked the parameters. I get ďstart not approvedĒ until I try to start the car and then it changes to ďstart approvedĒ, with both of my keys. Again it wonít crank. I activated the fuel pump relay with Vida and I can hear it, so I donít think thatís the problem but I just canít get anywhere. I spent the majority or last evening researching this code and Iíve found a lot of dead ends in forums saying that the starter wire had come out or some other silly reasons or that the wire was corroded or that the car was saying there were no keys coded to it. Vida reports that Iíve got 3 keys assigned to this car and it does show which ones are in use when I have it in the ignition. I do not get any immobilizer or start prevented messages in the DIM window when trying to restart. A few stories of needing a new CEM or a software reload are showing and quite frankly if thatís the case then I am dumping this car. Itís become too unreliable for every day use and honestly I donít know if Iíll be able to rely on it even if I get it running after this.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

. CEM-6c48 - Transponder Type. Faulty Signal.
      While using VIDA did you click on the code to bring up Vida's suggestion of possible causes? You can do that without connecting to the car. Diagnostic suggestions for that code are listed under- (after you choose the correct vehicle) information/fault tracing/diagnostic trouble codes/electrical system/37 cables and fuses/372 electrical distribution -

One possibility - Have you tried one of your other keys?

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
      While using VIDA did you click on the code to bring up Vida's suggestion of possible causes? You can do that without connecting to the car. Diagnostic suggestions for that code are listed under- (after you choose the correct vehicle) information/fault tracing/diagnostic trouble codes/electrical system/37 cables and fuses/372 electrical distribution -

One possibility - Have you tried one of your other keys?
      Thatís a great suggestion. I didnít know VIDA could do that. Iíll give it a try along with the jumper wire on the starter wires. Iím at work today and the car is at home (obviously) so I wonít be able to update for awhile. Unfortunately I spent all day yesterday fighting with this and going to pick and pull to get a new antenna halo.

Edit: yes I did try my other key. I only have one switchblade and one service key though. I lost one.

Last edited by TrstnBrtt; 05-28-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
      Have you checked if you are getting a signal to the solenoid (yes, it's hard to get to the top of the starter, especially with the solenoid cover on) Only two wires on the starter, B+ from the battery and the small signal wire from the ign switch (via immobilizer) . Use a jumper wire between the 2 terminals to manually engage the starter. Then you will know if it's the starter or the signal to it - and if it starts you could drive it to the shop.
      Alright so I jumped the terminals and I can get it to crank but it wonít turn over. In Vida all control modules show up green. The signal wire looked kind of dirty but I didnít have any contact cleaner so I used rubbing alcohol.

Alright so I jumped the terminals and I can get it to crank but it wonít turn over. In Vida all control modules show up green. The signal wire looked kind of dirty but I didnít have any contact cleaner so I used rubbing alcohol.

Im new to volvo and only experience is with older cars
      After reading your post since you can only hear the starter clicking my guess would be take harder look at that relay could click if starter motor not spinning won't start.
      if you have volt meter on when you tried to turn over you should have seen a drop trying to start. As you said you did not i suspect starter motor is issue.
      jmlo i just picked up my 08 xc90 so my adventure just beginning

Starter cranks when I jump it from the relay pins. Still doesnít fire.

Starter cranks when I jump it from the relay pins. Still doesnít fire.

Okay I had an ah-ha (and Iím a moron) moment, I had someone turn the key to position 3 and jumped it from the relay pins and the car started. Obviously it was immobilized the first time. I still canít start it from the key though, only if I jump it from the starter relay. Should I be looking at replacing that? Obviously having 2 people start the car every time we need to drive it isnít practical.

If the relay isn't clicking, then yes, I'd replace it.
      2004 XC90 2.5T FWD + 2006 XC90 2.5T

Okay I had an ah-ha (and Iím a moron) moment, I had someone turn the key to position 3 and jumped it from the relay pins and the car started. Obviously it was immobilized the first time. I still canít start it from the key though, only if I jump it from the starter relay. Should I be looking at replacing that? Obviously having 2 people start the car every time we need to drive it isnít practical.

Ugh this is driving me insane. New relay didnít fix it. I can start the car by manually engaging the relay with the key in the ignition but itís quite annoying. Obviously thereís a break between the ignition and whatever sends the relay signal.

What gear does Vida say the trans is in? My guess is if it's not registering park or neutral it won't allow the start relay to close.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 175,000 miles and counting...

I can start the car by manually engaging the relay with the key in the ignition but itís quite annoying. Obviously thereís a break between the ignition and whatever sends the relay signal.
      A Complete VIDA has wiring diagrams - In VIDA after you choose the car go to information/fault tracing/wiring diagrams. You do not have to be attached to a car.

The gear shifter shows the correct gear, I checked the Alldata wiring diagram because it is interactive and actually in colour as opposed to Vida. Fuses (and apparently relays) tied to the charging system are in good order as well. I tried measuring voltage at the relay junction and am not getting anything when the key is turned. Since I can drive the car now and actually get reliable codes from the CEM (battery is now charged) I donít think the CEM itself is damaged as the car isnít doing anything else weird (no other codes), Iím reluctant to think itís wiring (although I could be wrong). Since Iíve ruled out the immobilizer ring and the starter I think my last step is to try the ignition switch itself. A trip to pick and pull is in order to try a used one and I guess weíll see if that does anything. After that I think Iím done trying to solve it myself and it will have to go to an actual mechanic.

I think my last step is to try the ignition switch itself.

No other codes? Does the same cem-6c48 code keep coming back? (and some don't know you can scan the car with the engine running, VIDA tells you if the car needs to be off)

Why not just use a test light to check for 12v coming from your existing switch? Instead of all the legwork to replace that part. (with one that won't fix it) I have replaced maybe a hundred electrical portions of the ignition switches - none because they did not send a start signal, none on the later model cars (2000+) 99% replaced didn't send power to the accessories, the fan/turnsignals/etc would not work until the switch was jiggled - i took a switch apart once and found a melted plastic cam, but again have not seen that failure on later cars.

turning the key to "start" only tells the system to start the car. It doesn't actually power the starter motor directly. While it could be the switch, assuming it is ignores a whole bucket of other possibilities. Should be simple enough to test the switch, so I too recommend you do so.
      John C
      ---------------------

Itís at the mechanicís now, heís not sure how deep to go into it because quite frankly I donít think itís worth spending a lot of money on this car. Heís confirmed that the starter and solenoid are good and that the problem seems to be with the ignition sending the signal to the starter relay. So likely the CEM. I asked if there was some sort of toggle he could install to fire the relay and heís going to look into it to see if itís a quick and dirty option to install and use in conjunction with the key.

Quick and dirty would be run a wire from the starter motor solenoid into the car and feed it 12v. To get really dirty, leave the wire dangling out the dash next to a live unfused wire, and touch them together. Then you can show off to your friends that you can hotwire the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      Quick and dirty would be run a wire from the starter motor solenoid into the car and feed it 12v. To get really dirty, leave the wire dangling out the dash next to a live unfused wire, and touch them together. Then you can show off to your friends that you can hotwire the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Haha good tip. My mechanic was able to figure it out and itís a doozy. Apparently there was an aftermarket alarm in the car and the control box was fried. When he bypassed it the car started normally. It must have been installed sometime in itís past life because I only have my regular key fobs and I would definitely not bother with that, not sure why anyone would put an aftermarket alarm in when the OEM alarm is so good (seriously I didnít even know that it had one until like a year in..)

All's well that ends well!
      John C
      ---------------------

Excellent end to ur story, glad for u, have a good weekend !!!

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements