SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

I feel dumb...

4K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  John C 
#1 · (Edited)
My CEL is on. I read the code (P2421), replaced the part, ran the test, it ran clean and the code is no longer current. (There are no current codes). How do I get the CEL to go out? I have an appointment for inspection in 15 hours and it won't pass with the light on. I've driven it about 30 miles since I replaced the part and 5 miles since I re-ran the test.

If you're answering that question, maybe you can also tell me how I can get information from the tire pressure monitor system...

#2 · (Edited)
Follow this sequence:

1.key in I position.
2.hold trip meter in.
3.turn ignition to II position.
4.wait until service icon flashes twice.
5.release trip odometer button

I don't understand your question regarding your car's TPMS; it's not like in the newer cars but when low inflation pressure is detected or if a sensor is not functioning properly, TPMS will light up the tire pressure warning light in the instrument panel and will display one of the following messages in the text window: "Tire pressure low or Tire needs air now"

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a try, but that's the same procedure I use to reset the oil minder. Will it also do the CEL?

As far as the TPMS goes, I'm getting a message that the TPMS system needs service. I figures VIDA could temm me more, but I don't know where to look.

#4 ·
bring it to autozone or the like. have them read the code and then clear it. the only way to clear it would be a scanner or drive cycle. you can let it go through the drive cycle, but you need to perform that to be ready for inspection after a clear anyway.

#5 ·
Maybe I'm not understanding everything. I went from the beginnings of ODB I to "way too complicated for me" in one step. Anyhow, I thought if the code was no longer "current" or "active" the CEL should go out by itself. Running the test of the EVAP control system relegated the current code to history. Vida said I had no active codes, yet the CEL was on. Clearing the ECM codes in VIDA did nothing (maybe operator error on my part) and they remained in history, along with a ton of other (non-ECM codes that never set any warnings.

The "hold the trip odo reset button" trick didn't clear it. Disconnecting he battery and touching the plus and minus together did clear it. Now, I just hope it will pass...

[soapbox]What really irks me is that, apparently, this code doesn't even indicate a problem with the emissions system; it indicates a problem with the system that checks the emissions system...[/soapbox]

#7 ·
Ah. Did you go to the "delivery" tab and erase all codes?
Yes, well, all ECU codes. there were three. Two that have been coming and going for years, and this one.

I now believe I will fail due to monitors not ready. There's a short drive cycle in MVS I'm going to try to accomplish before I go in, but I don't have a lot of hope at this point. Film at 11:00...

Used to be you could drive in and get tested without an appointment...

#9 ·
Birch999: that would have been easier that what I tried. What I tried didn't work anyhow. It failed because the Evap and O2 monitors weren't ready. I have 60 days to get it to pass.

So, is there a way in Vida to tell if it is ready?

#10 ·
im not sure that info is in vida, it might be but im not a tech, just an adviser. the state gave us a readyness monitor that plugs into obd port and turns on green light when tests complete but other than that im not sure how to tell when it is ready other than plug it into inspection machine

#11 ·
With an ELM OBD-II Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on your Android you can check the readiness quickly. You'll need a different set-up for iPhone.

I've got to imagine that VIDA has this built in somewhere.

-Ryan

#12 ·
With an ELM OBD-II Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on your Android you can check the readiness quickly. You'll need a different set-up for iPhone.
Do this. There are other apps that work as well. A good app will show the readiness monitors. Also check your state inspection handbook. It will tell you the Pass/Fail parameters. IIRC, in NJ The CEL can be on as long as it isn't emissions related. You can also have one readiness monitor not green as long as it's not the Cat/O2. The Evap is a common one to not have green because it can reset after getting gas and not having the cap sealed properly. But every state is different.

#13 ·
Here is a pic using the Torque (free) app on an Android phone and a cheap Amazon bought Bluetooth OBDII connector. This was for a non-Volvo vehicle, but I was able to get all systems ready except one in a matter of two days of driving doing errands. In my state, one unready system is acceptable.

You can Google different ways to meet the readiness that different makes use. Some general parameters to meet might be to maintain at ~55mph for 5 mins (no brake), coast down to 15mph without pressing the brake, accelerate to 80mph from (35mph &) 55mph in different light-mid throttle and hold 80mph again for a few mins, etc. Repeat after turning engine off and locking door so systems go to sleep for at least 10-15mins 1-2 times and do another lock doors overnight because the engine has to be completely cooled down so normal warm-up happens again. Etc.

#14 ·
Thought I'd give an update, good for a laugh...

I haven't had much occasion to drive it lately, so I haven't hooked it up to Vida yet. Yesterday it was pouring rain and I had to run a short errand. The CEL came on early in the trip, maybe at startup. I wasn't pleases, but not to upset as I've always suspected that the converter efficiency code was relates to wet weather. However, what did surprise me was that later in the day, after the rain stopped, it went out. Usually, it doesn't go out for a couple of days.

Guess I need to plug it in, and (hopefully) get it retested while it's code free.

#16 ·
When you use a Bluetooth wireless OBDII adapter, it helps to turn the phone/device to airplane mode, then turn on Bluetooth. There can be interruptions to the app. Also, make sure your phone/device is close to the adapter while it is connecting, like place it on your left lap.

That is worth a try. If it doesn't work, even for other vehicles, then it could be the BT adapter.

#17 ·
Yeah, I had it on my left thigh. I can try airplane mode.

While you were posting I added this:
Just noticed Chitown's screen shot. I don't get any data like that, and, I think, the little blue auto on the top blinks all the time.

#18 ·
Did you also set your screens in Torque? You have to go into the menu, choose which gauges you want to add, then the size of gauges. When it is added, you can hold and drag to position. It is a little weird at first, but you can set different screens and swipe between them.

#19 ·
No, I think I did put one gauge on there, but I don't think I ever got a reading. All I really care about is reading state of the the monitors, so that's all I paid attention to.

#20 ·
Not every gauge will work. Try some others and some basic ones too. Hopefully, you can get this to work for you.

#21 ·
News flash - the listing for the adapter I bought has been removed. Also, the CB in the unit does not connect to all the pins, so I'm thinking they got a bunch of fakes. Shipping was delayed, probably while they waited for the container form Shanghai to arrive.

Do you know what protocol Volvo uses? Not all adapters support all protocols. Or, a link to the one you have.

#22 ·
I think I bought this four years ago and it still works with Torque. It has over four thousand reviews/ratings. For reading and clearing codes on an older vehicle, it still works. Some of the updated protocols can connect to more sophisticated apps and trigger ABS and such, but I would use VIDA for that. I did notice my adapter can be loose or tight, depending on the vehicle. In one car, I had to use blue tape to keep some upward force so it connects. I remembered the emissions place said some cars go on loose, so a lightbulb went on when I had trouble connecting.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Blue...OBDII+reader+bluetooth&qid=1593148080&sr=8-13

#23 ·
Well, I got an instant refund. It's unclear if I have to return it or not; I think not.

Checked the one you linked to. Of course, they're out of stock. What are the chances the shipment they have coming in on the 30th is also defective?

#25 ·
Glad you were able to figure it out! Hmm, do you need a reason to drive the XC90? Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.