How high should I go
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How high should I go

Hi guys,

question for the people that dropped the transmission and/or the engine...

I'm looking to work on transmission and/or drop the engine and do that in my garage after my dealer changed ownership and the prices changed with it a LOT.

So questions:
      1. what is the minimum height needed to change the transmission (M66) from below?
      2. what is the minimum height needed to remove the engine from below?

For both please specify where you measured it.

Thanks a lot!
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you're in your garage I'd recommend pulling them together out the top, it just makes it easier.

On a lift I prefer to come out the bottom, but I'd say you'd need at least 2-3 feet under the car - measured from the subframe. You can put the car on jackstands and lower the subframe with the drive train still mounted, then use an engine hoist to lift up the front end of the car enough to let the engine clear. It's safer to pull it from the top at home IMO.

For just the transmission, you can probably get by at normal jackstand height and pull it through the wheel well.
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | Elevate sways | lowered on S60 AWD springs
      '09 S40 2.4i | Titanium Grey | Stock | 140k

I wanna know this too since I'll be doing an engine and trans swap in my garage.
      Are you just using an engine hoist to remove both the engine and trans?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

First time removing a transmission ever last year and got the M66 out of the bottom with the car up high on tallish jackstands. I then stumbled upon a thread where they used an engine crane to remove/reinstall the M66 out through the top and so I returned the transmission Jack and bought the harbor freight engine crane. It was MUCH easier going through the top. There's a spot on the M66 case to attach the crane and it pretty much hangs perfectly level from that point. You do have to have the engine off it's mounts and supported with a cross brace because it's still a very tight fit horizontally in the engine bay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

Some clarification to my questions...

The #1 is for when I replace the clutch, along with rear end seal, transmission seals, etc. I never heard of replacing the clutch from the top. This is interesting if I can get more details.

The #2 is for actually replacing the engine. Using a crane in a house garage has its own complications as the crane will have to be at least partly out of the garage and there is the garage door above at 8' something limiting the crane height. I cannot do this outside as this is PNW (read it rains often).

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      For just the transmission, you can probably get by at normal jackstand height and pull it through the wheel well.
      I do have a 23-1/8 floor jack (and a 19" one, and a transmission add-on). When using jackstands probably that will be reduced by at least 1". Do you think that 22" is enough for lifting the car from behind the rear mounting points of the front subframe to do the work, leaving the rear wheels on the ground or some plastic oil change ramps? I could exchange this jack for a 24-1/4 for a bit of extra cash if needed for a 23" lift height.
      If I do it through the wheel well do I need to unbolt more of the suspension? Dropping the frame I just disconnect the ball joints, end links, and the steering rods leaving the LCA on the subframe.

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      First time removing a transmission ever last year and got the M66 out of the bottom with the car up high on tallish jackstands.
      Can you tell what kind of jackstands/how tall where they? What was the point on the car they where supporting the car? Was the rear on the ground or also on jacks? Did you lift enough to clear it or used the wheel well?

I then stumbled upon a thread where they used an engine crane to remove/reinstall the M66 out through the top and so I returned the transmission Jack and bought the harbor freight engine crane. It was MUCH easier going through the top. There's a spot on the M66 case to attach the crane and it pretty much hangs perfectly level from that point. You do have to have the engine off it's mounts and supported with a cross brace because it's still a very tight fit horizontally in the engine bay.
      Do you remember the thread or something that I could use to search for? Was it on this forum, swedespeed or somewhere else?
      Do you have to take the hood off or just disconnect the struts and support it?
      Why would I have to disconnect the engine mounts if all is done from the top and the engine it not removed? Sorry, it is not obvious to me.
      Do you have to remove anything else like intake (the 5 tubes metal stuff), radiator fan, etc. to make more space?
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

Here's the thread:
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Look at it on Tapatalk if you want to see the pictures, I don't think they work on the desktop version of this POS website.

No you don't have to remove the hold or the struts, it comes out fine. The difficult part is the horizontal space.

Read over that thread and just jump in to the project. You can waste a lot of time over planning before you even start.

I would definitely remove and reinstall our the top with a crane. I did this job in my tiny 1 car garage. It'll be fine. As for your questions about how high the jackstands are, just get the car up on 4 jackstands as high as they go. I'm sure it'll be fine. You can always readjust them mid job if you need the car to be higher or lower.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

Pull it from the top. It is a lot easier in my experience. Just need a way to tilt it when pulling it in and out. Only need about 6-7' from the floor to make it work.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Here's the thread:
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Look at it on Tapatalk if you want to see the pictures, I don't think they work on the desktop version of this POS website.
      Strange thing with the pictures. Great thread anyway. Thanks! They also list the height they lifted the car. It looks like for clutch and transmission work I have the proper floor, stands, and transmission jacks.

Do you have some link to the thread with the crane extraction?
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

Quote Originally Posted by doru View Post
      Strange thing with the pictures. Great thread anyway. Thanks! They also list the height they lifted the car. It looks like for clutch and transmission work I have the proper floor, stands, and transmission jacks.

Do you have some link to the thread with the crane extraction?
      No but it's exactly the same process up until you actually remove the transmission. Just attach the crane and lift out from the top instead of using the transmission jack from below.

Regarding #2...

I don't have experience with an R, just an xc70, but I elected to drop the subframe/engine/transmission at the same time. If you can position your crane so that the subframe will fit on some furniture dollys instead of the crane legs, you can drop the whole assembly and use the crane to lift the front of the car up by the bumper. I was able to get the whole assembly out when the front bumper is raised to about 36", less if you remove the radiator/ic/ac combo and the bumper.

It gives you a nice chance to clean your engine bay and subframe if you're OCD (no experience with that )

Quote Originally Posted by addissimo View Post
      use the crane to lift the front of the car up by the bumper. I was able to get the whole assembly out when the front bumper is raised to about 36", less if you remove the radiator/ic/ac combo and the bumper.
      How did you lift the front by the bumper w/o removing the bumper cover to get to the reinforcement? Did you lift it by the towing hook?

Excellent tip about the dolly! Is 36" is enough to clear while the subframe w/ engine is on the dolly? How tall were the dollys?

I'm trying to picture how this setup works. I imagine the crane legs are under the car between the dolly. Now the car is lifted high enough to clear the engine resting on dolly. The only way it will work is if you can slide the dolly w/ the engine to the side of the car. Forward doesn't work cause there is the crane blocking. Can you describe a little bit how you did it?
      2004 V70R, manual, 4T4

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements