P2178 code
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: P2178 code

P2178 code

V70 2004, 2.5T. I bought it last february with 139950, I'm the third owner. A few weeks ago my wife mentioned the CEL had come on, at the time I didn't have a code reader so ordered one, by which time the CEL had gone out. The cheap (but recommended) reader came up with P422 which suggested anything from the gas cap seal to the rest of the Evap circuit. Investigation showed the tubing going from the dump valve back and in the vicinity to be crumbly but not cracked, so I swapped that for new stuff, cleared the code and all seemed well, it even eradicated the intermittent misfire I'd noticed. All pleased that I didn't need to change the dump valve.

A few days later, CEL shows up again, this time I get a P2178 code..(I also bought the Foxwell 301 reader on the understanding it was a far better product)..Anyway, it showed more (Though it isn't very user friendly IMO) most of which I didn't understand. Anyway, I checked my previous work and it all seemed nice and tight, but suspected that wasn't the issue this time. I cleared the code (Interestingly, each time I did, the idle rpm rose from 650 to around 750) and the car runs very sweet, it really has no hesitation or misfires. Earlier this week the CEL came up again (Wife driving), I cleared it and she drove it again and yep, it came up again, I drove it this time and I noticed it came up when I was stood at lights. The car did what could be described as a shimmy not quite stalling, and then returning to an even idle. I got it home and hooked up the reader, again P2178, I accessed 'freeze frame' and it came up with the following:

Load_PCT: 45.1%
      ECT 95
      Sh FT1 Minus 2.3
      Long FT1 Minus 18.8

AFTER clearing the code I had the following, in the drive idling:

Load_PCT: 13.7%
      ECT 105
      Sh FT1 Minus 6.3
      Long FT1 Minus 23.4%

Looking at the parameters of various things (Bank one and two) everything is within parameters.

I found on a thread that someone else a few years ago had the same minus 18.8% on Long FT and a new MAF solved his issue. Yesterday I coughed up the $154 for the original Bosch MAF and the code reader showed 0% on BOTH ShFT and Long FT. And today we took it out for a couple of hours and it seemed to be running a lot smoother (Not that it was running rough before) and then...After about 25 miles, the CEL reared it's ugly head. I don't have DiCE, but would that narrow it down and avoid me throwing money on new components (O2 sensors etc)? I really want to like this car and I've already spent money on little bits and pieces (New tail gate struts, 12V cargo outlet, roof rails), any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
      Currently a 2004 V70 2.5T. Previously (In UK) a much cherished 2002 V70 2.4.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

DiCE will give you a specific step-by-step troubleshooting procedure to follow for diagnosing any code it finds. It's not the most user-friendly software and has a bit of a learning curve. I installed it on a dedicated laptop using the virtual machine VMware Player.

This thread helped me a lot: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Download-Link

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
      DiCE will give you a specific step-by-step troubleshooting procedure to follow for diagnosing any code it finds. It's not the most user-friendly software and has a bit of a learning curve. I installed it on a dedicated laptop using the virtual machine VMware Player.

This thread helped me a lot: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Download-Link
      Update: I took another reading this morning and the code this time is P1035. The parameters are all within tolerances, Freeze frame this time is Short FT minus 4.7 and Long FT is minus 18.8 again.MAF (Newly fitted yesterday) was 13.75 TP is 17.3%. after code cleared (Live data) short FT is 23.6 and Long FT minus 21.1. MAF 3.5, IAT 25 and TP 11.8%

Thanks for the link, I have VIDA via a virtual machine on my laptop and it's been useful but obviously limited because I don't have DiCE. But I've read that I need a dedicated laptop for the software and hardware to work. I can't really run to investing that sort of money at this time, I guess I'll need to take it in to my local indie Volvo shop and open my wallet to get it all done.
      Currently a 2004 V70 2.5T. Previously (In UK) a much cherished 2002 V70 2.4.

If you can get VIDA up and running on your laptop without problems then you've pretty much cleared the installation issues. DiCE is just a matter of plugging one end into your computer and the other into car's OBDII port. I don't believe the laptop has to be dedicated to VIDA, especially if you're running it with a virtual machine.

Just before I log into VIDA with username, I start my car and plug into the OBDII port. Once VIDA opens with DiCE plugged in, it should recognize your vehicle and prompt you to select it. Then it will ask you if you want to scan for codes. Now you're on your way.

These cars are bound to throw codes now and then. If that DiCE unit can save you a few trips to the mechanic, it'll pay for itself. Good luck either way and I hope you sort the problem!

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements