SRS Module Software Updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar

SRS Module Software Updates

Hi Everyone,

A question about changing the software on an SRS Module:

As per Xemodex's website, they suggest that as long as you get a part numbers matching SRS module replacement, that you can update the software part numbers to work on your car.

I was just wondering if there's any cost to doing this aside from the cost of buying a VIDA subscription. Has anyone done this before?

I'm trying to remedy a "SRS Service Urgernt" message caused by SRS-013A which seems to be a communication fault. Given wiring being OK, it seems it would have to be either the SRS module or CEM. CEM seems fine as there are no other electrical issues.

Thanks!
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why on earth would you want to update the software part number? The part number for the software is assigned in the factory and is never designed to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d recommend buying a VIDA sub and doing a “Total CAN Upgrade” if it is available for your car. I read a changelog a while back and it mentioned this fixes some issues with the SRS light and system. Would definitely be worth trying.

Have you scanned with VIDA to see what it says is wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      Why on earth would you want to update the software part number? The part number for the software is assigned in the factory and is never designed to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I would be updating the software of a used replacement unit. It will not work with the car if the software numbers are different.
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      I’d recommend buying a VIDA sub and doing a “Total CAN Upgrade” if it is available for your car. I read a changelog a while back and it mentioned this fixes some issues with the SRS light and system. Would definitely be worth trying.

Have you scanned with VIDA to see what it says is wrong?

Thanks - I recall someone mentioning that before, but it sounded like their issue was different than mine.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the SRS light. Scanning with VIDA, it's throwing an SRS-013A code (communication fault) because the CEM can't communicate with the SRS module for the first 10-20 seconds after power up. There are also some intermittent codes which I think are due to the communication issue.

EDIT: Note I haven't seen the PAD lamp and warning lamp codes in a long time. This is an old scan. The intermittent codes are always in flux.

Last edited by LittleRedRidingHood; 06-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Come to think of it I believe I occasionally see an “SRS lamp signal missing” code when scanning the car, but no SRS warnings of any kinda... then again I also get a bunch of random codes from the DDM and such... which I usually brush off. The signal lamp missing fault is just for the lamp in the instrument cluster, correct? Not the actual system itself? Or do you have an actual message on the dash that says SRS service urgent?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Come to think of it I believe I occasionally see an “SRS lamp signal missing” code when scanning the car, but no SRS warnings of any kinda... then again I also get a bunch of random codes from the DDM and such... which I usually brush off. The signal lamp missing fault is just for the lamp in the instrument cluster, correct? Not the actual system itself? Or do you have an actual message on the dash that says SRS service urgent?

There is a warning in the DIM that says "SRS Service Urgent" (above the time, outdoor temperature).

After a quick exchange with someone at Xemodex, they seem fairly sure it's related to the driver's main (steering wheel) airbag. I'm not sure why the warning goes away after a few seconds.

Could it be related to the clockspring?

So in regards to your rear seatbelt signal missing - you're going to need to get access to your rear setbelts and put an ohmeter on the SRS sensor on it - if there is NO continuity through it, it means the sensor has gone bad and the belt has to be replaced/fixed. Ohm range for the book is like 2-5 ohms or something small iirc.

I've had SRS lamp signal missing before - after I did every software update to every module on the car from VIDA, including the total CANBUS and the srs module, I haven't seen it since.

SRS-013A; Definition: Left SIPS Bag. Signal Too Low - IIRC this is the airbag next to the sunroof drain on the drivers side - again disconnect the colored connector and check for continuity - it should be 2-5 ohms or something - it sounds like it's too low.

SRS-0129, Right inflatable curtain
      SRS-012A; Definition: Right Inflatable Curtain. Signal Too Low
      SRS-012D; Definition: Right Inflatable Curtain. Faulty Signal - same thing for these three.

The bad PAD light is from a light searching - the light in the DIM indicating SRS stuff - either it's gone bad, had a fluke, or is going bad.

Sounds like you got some checking to do - mine when the drivers airbag went bad, had a code specifically for the front crash airbags. I did the checking like I mention above with an ohmeter and found that in fact one of the sensor connections on the airbag was dead, ebay'd a new one in (along with the dead drivers seatbelt and a dead rear seatbelt), and after the updates, I haven't had an issue since then with any of the SRS system.

As for the HO2S1 issue, I've had that since I replaced my dead (stuck lean) o2 sensor with a new bosch. Anytime I start it up and it's below 40 outside, it gives me a CEL and when I clear it, it never comes back until it is below 40 again...

Additional to the cost for the VIDA subscription - IIRC small updates are like $39, a complete module reload is usual $69 or so, and a big update like the CANBUS upgrade is like $110 or so. Shouldn't be any other costs but that.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 06-01-2020 at 09:06 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      So in regards to your rear seatbelt signal missing - you're going to need to get access to your rear setbelts and put an ohmeter on the SRS sensor on it - if there is NO continuity through it, it means the sensor has gone bad and the belt has to be replaced/fixed. Ohm range for the book is like 2-5 ohms or something small iirc.

I've had SRS lamp signal missing before - after I did every software update to every module on the car from VIDA, including the total CANBUS and the srs module, I haven't seen it since.

SRS-013A; Definition: Left SIPS Bag. Signal Too Low - IIRC this is the airbag next to the sunroof drain on the drivers side - again disconnect the colored connector and check for continuity - it should be 2-5 ohms or something - it sounds like it's too low.

SRS-012D; Definition: Right Inflatable Curtain. Faulty Signal - same thing for these three.

The bad PAD light is from a light searching - the light in the DIM indicating SRS stuff - either it's gone bad, had a fluke, or is going bad.

Sounds like you got some checking to do - mine when the drivers airbag went bad, had a code specifically for the front crash airbags. I did the checking like I mention above with an ohmeter and found that in fact one of the sensor connections on the airbag was dead, ebay'd a new one in (along with the dead drivers seatbelt and a dead rear seatbelt), and after the updates, I haven't had an issue since then with any of the SRS system.

As for the HO2S1 issue, I've had that since I replaced my dead (stuck lean) o2 sensor with a new bosch. Anytime I start it up and it's below 40 outside, it gives me a CEL and when I clear it, it never comes back until it is below 40 again...

Additional to the cost for the VIDA subscription - IIRC small updates are like $39, a complete module reload is usual $69 or so, and a big update like the CANBUS upgrade is like $110 or so. Shouldn't be any other costs but that.
      Do all P1s have rear seatbelt sensors? In mine it does not alert me if the rear passengers aren’t a wearing their belts- only the two front. Or are the sensors there for airbag related reasons?

Also to add- did the full CANBus upgrade in VIDA a few weeks ago and it was only 55$

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Thanks for the tips.

SIPS bag is in the seat. When you say check for continuity, I assume you're suggesting checking the continuity of the harness side of the connector, not on the airbag itself?

The yellow SRS codes are never consistent - I don't know what to make of that, so I'm ignoring them until I fix the main culprit (SRS-013A).

Regarding the O2 sensor - it's a heater circuit failure. I replaced the sensor and realized there were two bent pins in an ECM connector. Fixed those, but the issue persists. Checked heater circuit for continuity, all OK. Checked wiring from the sensor to the fuse, all OK. Still need to check continuity from the ECM to the sensor.

Do all P1s have rear seatbelt sensors? In mine it does not alert me if the rear passengers aren’t a wearing their belts- only the two front. Or are the sensors there for airbag related reasons?

Also to add- did the full CANBus upgrade in VIDA a few weeks ago and it was only 55$

The sensors your are referring to (the ground for the belt latch) is different than the srs sensor - one is in the buckle (alert for not wearing it) if it has it, but the SRS sensor is connected below the mechanism (two wires, bright yellow/green/blue/red/pink connector) that holds the belt tight when you slam on the brakes suddenly. When I replaced my rear drivers side belt, it had the sensor for the SRS. AFAIK, there is no weight sensor in the rear for me at least because I have the "booster"s built in and there's no wiring harness that goes there to tell the computer there's weight but no belt buckled.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      Thanks for the tips.

SIPS bag is in the seat. When you say check for continuity, I assume you're suggesting checking the continuity of the harness side of the connector, not on the airbag itself?

The yellow SRS codes are never consistent - I don't know what to make of that, so I'm ignoring them until I fix the main culprit (SRS-013A).

Regarding the O2 sensor - it's a heater circuit failure. I replaced the sensor and realized there were two bent pins in an ECM connector. Fixed those, but the issue persists. Checked heater circuit for continuity, all OK. Checked wiring from the sensor to the fuse, all OK. Still need to check continuity from the ECM to the sensor.
      No, I mean check the continuity of the airbag/seatbelt itself - the harness is almost never the issue from what I saw on my car. I don't know how or why, but for some reason, they go bad inside the mechanism they're installed in (airbag/seatbelt/front crash sensor in my case) and read 0 ohms because they are an open circuit. Basically when you disconnect the harness, each sensor in the airbag/belts will have two pins at least you can stick some multimeter probes on and check the ohms. The drivers steering wheel airbag has 4 pins on 2 separate connectors, but the rear seatbelt/curtain only had 2 pins on 1 connector. I haven't taken the seat apart to check the SIPS unit.

Airbags.com I found can replace/fix them for you for a cost similar to ebay'd parts for replacement.

What's odd about my 02 sensor issue is that it only showed up after it was replaced. I didn't mess with the ECM at all, only thing I did was remove the OTE pipe. From there, when I get it, I hook up my ODB2 dongle and read the O2 sensors and it's working just fine. It's weird. Loose or subpar connector to the harness at least maybe, who knows...
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

No, I mean check the continuity of the airbag/seatbelt itself - the harness is almost never the issue from what I saw on my car. I don't know how or why, but for some reason, they go bad inside the mechanism they're installed in (airbag/seatbelt/front crash sensor in my case) and read 0 ohms because they are an open circuit. Basically when you disconnect the harness, each sensor in the airbag/belts will have two pins at least you can stick some multimeter probes on and check the ohms. The drivers steering wheel airbag has 4 pins on 2 separate connectors, but the rear seatbelt/curtain only had 2 pins on 1 connector. I haven't taken the seat apart to check the SIPS unit.
      Thanks for the details.

I just want to be crystal clear that I can read the resistance of the airbag without it deploying and make sure I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the details.

I just want to be crystal clear that I can read the resistance of the airbag without it deploying and make sure I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying.
      I have never had an issue with this. Some people live in fear of the system and rightly they should, it has the power to break every bone in your body 5 or 10 times over. But if you do some research you realize that the SRS system is very intelligently designed, and while an idiot or an accident can overcome all of that planning, as long as you are careful, it is not likely. Possible, but not very likely imo. Or I'm just wired to take more risks, either way.

I have never had an issue with this. Some people live in fear of the system and rightly they should, it has the power to break every bone in your body 5 or 10 times over. But if you do some research you realize that the SRS system is very intelligently designed, and while an idiot or an accident can overcome all of that planning, as long as you are careful, it is not likely. Possible, but not very likely imo. Or I'm just wired to take more risks, either way.
      Well you are the guy that uses the dremel right next to his bare fingernail...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

If you're using a digital multimeter, absolutely yes, you're safe. Don't use a test light.

We had a Volvo shop day a few years back at Boston Volvo Village. One of the wrenches had an old steering wheel to dispose of. A long set of jumper cables made it quite the demonstration. Sobering.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      Well you are the guy that uses the dremel right next to his bare fingernail...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Well, I started with the front driver seat to address the persistent SRS-013A (front driver SIPS bag). One of the connectors of the seat harness had been separated entirely (yellow one) which is clearly for the SIPS bag. Plugged that back in, and all the other SRS codes (except for SRS-013A) have disappeared entirely. I didn't have it in me to probe the connector, but looking closely at the seat, it's clear the SIPS bag deployed and the upholstery was stitched back up. Not sure how they managed to deploy only that bag... Oh well, I'll source a new seat form the junk yard (only $100 Canadian).

Sorry for the wild goose chase, everyone. Especially Avenger who helped out a lot in my other thread. The sheer volume of SRS codes really made me think it was the SRS module.

Also learned not to rely on VIDA's descriptions for codes. It didn't mention specific airbags for any of those codes, only mentioning wiring between the SRS module and CEM. I guess that seat harness connector is between the SRS module and the CEM? Anyways, DTC Decode was far more helpful, e.g. https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo/SRS-013A

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements