Cargo area underfloor storage?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi, Just picked up a brand-new 2020 XC90 7 seat Momentum - I thought I had seen online that there was finished storage under the rear floor where you lift up to access the spare tire and equipment. It looked like a molded piece of plastic around the tire, but provided some hidden storage space. My dealer didn't really know what I was talking about. Was this changed for 2020?

I found the photo attached of what I'm talking about.

It seems like it is possibly Volvo part 31484431. Anyone familiar with this?

Much thanks! Very excited about the car - wish it just had a little more hidden compartments but that wasn't enough to change our mind!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't know if this was changed for 2020, but my 2016 looks exactly like that photo. The tray is thin molded plastic that isn't fastened to anything - it just fits in that space. I keep all sorts of things in there. Keep in mind that you won't have access to this space if your battery dies. When the rear hatch is closed, it secures the lift-up floor panel. And the only way to open the rear hatch is with the electric motor - there is no manual release. So if you are going to keep a portable jump starter battery pack in your vehicle, put it somewhere other than the underfloor area or the glove box which also doesn't have a manual release. I keep mine in the cubby above the floor in the right rear corner of the vehicle.
      Last edited by SDspeed; 06-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus, Vision, Climate, CarPlay, Invisihitch

Thank you! That is a great tip. Here's what it looks like on my car. Where do you keep the tire jack, tools, etc?

I think I can get this part that will cover the tire if I remove all the foam.
      https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...tment-31484431

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

2018 Inscription here and I have that area as shown.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription, Chrystal White/Blonde, Convenience Pkg, Protection Plus, Tailored Dash, HUD

2020 t6 inscription in showroom does not look like previous years. is kinda ugly foam holder for tools and little to no space for anything else. wonder what changed back there, tire even seems to sit differently

Quote Originally Posted by SDspeed View Post
      I don't know if this was changed for 2020, but my 2016 looks exactly like that photo. The tray is thin molded plastic that isn't fastened to anything - it just fits in that space. I keep all sorts of things in there. Keep in mind that you won't have access to this space if your battery dies. When the rear hatch is closed, it secures the lift-up floor panel. And the only way to open the rear hatch is with the electric motor - there is no manual release. So if you are going to keep a portable jump starter battery pack in your vehicle, put it somewhere other than the underfloor area or the glove box which also doesn't have a manual release. I keep mine in the cubby above the floor in the right rear corner of the vehicle.
      Thank you! This is great information. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      2020 t6 inscription in showroom does not look like previous years. is kinda ugly foam holder for tools and little to no space for anything else. wonder what changed back there, tire even seems to sit differently
      Here's what mine looks like:

I seem to be able to get the molded piece to create the storage from parts suppliers, but then I'm not sure where to put the tools. The spare seems different from previous years too - there's no room in the center of the tire to store them.

Is the 2020 spare inflated? If so, then that's the difference. For earlier years we have a special deflated tire and an air compressor. The deflated tire takes up less room. So I doubt you could fit the earlier model tray in this space. I'd rather have a normal tire like yours than the deflated rubber band tire I have with almost zero sidewall. The loss of storage space would be worth it. Maybe you could remove one or both of those filler pieces on the sides to get additional storage space.
      Last edited by SDspeed; 06-02-2020 at 01:22 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus, Vision, Climate, CarPlay, Invisihitch

Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      The spare seems different from previous years too - there's no room in the center of the tire to store them.
      On my MY2018, which has a cover like you referenced in post #1, the spare is stored with the street-facing surface facing down, creating a bowl/space for a foam insert that holds the tools. What does the gap behind the spare tire look like for yours? Space-wise, is it possible to flip the spare tire and still have it occupy the same space? I'm wondering if they placed something in that "gap".
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      On my MY2018, which has a cover like you referenced in post #1, the spare is stored with the street-facing surface facing down, creating a bowl/space for a foam insert that holds the tools. What does the gap behind the spare tire look like for yours? Space-wise, is it possible to flip the spare tire and still have it occupy the same space? I'm wondering if they placed something in that "gap".
      Ah, maybe that's it - I'll have to disassemble the whole area and check it out. I did order the tray from previous years so will see if it fits. Perhaps the trick will be to flip the tire, although as SDspeed pointed out above, it seems this one is indeed fully inflated so perhaps it'll be too large and I'll just have to leave it be.

Ah, maybe that's it - I'll have to disassemble the whole area and check it out. I did order the tray from previous years so will see if it fits. Perhaps the trick will be to flip the tire, although as SDspeed pointed out above, it seems this one is indeed fully inflated so perhaps it'll be too large and I'll just have to leave it be.
      My MY2018 Momentum Plus' spare, located there, is fully inflated. Since it is a donut spare, even though the rolling diameter is the same, the tire width is much narrower. As with donut spares I've seen in various vehicles, they have a much higher inflation pressure.

I think it was changed in MY19. My old MY16 had the storage space that, even if strangely shaped, was actually quite useful; my new MY20 doesn't. @slariz, please share here your findings in turning the wheel around. Regaining that storage space would be nice as it allowed to put away a lot of loose items and keep the rear bay clean.
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Thank you! That is a great tip. Here's what it looks like on my car. Where do you keep the tire jack, tools, etc?

I think I can get this part that will cover the tire if I remove all the foam.
      https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...tment-31484431
      I guess you would also need the old foam insert to hold the tools that fit the tire hole, from memory I think this is the right one...
      https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...e-box-31362300
      Last edited by chmax; 06-03-2020 at 03:39 AM.
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

I am under the impression that you are comparing a 7 sseater (original post's photos) with a 5 seater rest of photos. The seven seater needs the space for the extra seats and therefore spare tire is tilted and in general with a different assembly.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Hi, Just picked up a brand-new 2020 XC90 7 seat Momentum -
      Here's what mine looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      I am under the impression that you are comparing a 7 sseater (original post's photos) with a 5 seater rest of photos. The seven seater needs the space for the extra seats and therefore spare tire is tilted and in general with a different assembly.
      OP said he/she has a 7 seater

Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      it is just a perspective problem, if you look where the hinge is on both pictures, you see that they are the same size. I have had both variations on my 2 XC90s, both 7 seaters, and the pics are correct.
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      I think it was changed in MY19. My old MY16 had the storage space that, even if strangely shaped, was actually quite useful; my new MY20 doesn't. @slariz, please share here your findings in turning the wheel around. Regaining that storage space would be nice as it allowed to put away a lot of loose items and keep the rear bay clean.
      Will do! I've ordered the new tray and will see what happens when it arrives. Looks like I'll also need the interior foam piece for the tools if this works and I can flip the spare around. Fingers crossed - I'd really like to make that usable space! Part of me thinks it isn't going to actually fit - cause if it did, why would they have changed it in the first place?

Will do! I've ordered the new tray and will see what happens when it arrives. Looks like I'll also need the interior foam piece for the tools if this works and I can flip the spare around. Fingers crossed - I'd really like to make that usable space! Part of me thinks it isn't going to actually fit - cause if it did, why would they have changed it in the first place?
      The new configuration looks nicer, with the parts more laid out, imho. And there could be something new that occupies the hidden gap under the wheel.

If I had to guess, it was cost savings move to reduce complexity. From what I remember, XC90s with air suspension have air tanks located to the left and right of the spare tire. I think the underfloor tray shown above in the MY16-18 XC90s only applied to non-air-suspension models. Someone could have had the bright idea to reduce from two tool storage solutions to one and eliminate the under floor tray as well.
      His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

very interested in this mod as well.
      keep us posted.
      brave move to look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      If I had to guess, it was cost savings move to reduce complexity. From what I remember, XC90s with air suspension have air tanks located to the left and right of the spare tire. I think the underfloor tray shown above in the MY16-18 XC90s only applied to non-air-suspension models. Someone could have had the bright idea to reduce from two tool storage solutions to one and eliminate the under floor tray as well.
      my my16 was an air-susp one and had the tray ... it fitted nicely over the two air tanks and the tire (I had the tire instead of the air pump)
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

my my16 was an air-susp one and had the tray ... it fitted nicely over the two air tanks and the tire (I had the tire instead of the air pump)
      so you had
      air suspension plus tire with the under floor tray.

sad to drop the tray.
      car needed more hidden storage.
      rrs is more refined in this area

XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      so you had
      air suspension plus tire with the under floor tray.

exactly as described: "full tire" spare, air suspension, and "hidden tray"
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

I have a MY2016 T6 that regrettably has no spare tyre but plenty of underfloor storage space...

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      The new configuration looks nicer, with the parts more laid out, imho. And there could be something new that occupies the hidden gap under the wheel.
      So I just had the chance to take the spare out and flip it around. There's nothing underneath the wheel. However, the screw bolt that holds the spare to the frame is too long when the tire is flipped so doesn't hold the spare tightly in place. So, I need to figure out which part this is and order this as well. I think it is this one, but not sure: https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...r-screw-986085

So I just had the chance to take the spare out and flip it around. There's nothing underneath the wheel. However, the screw bolt that holds the spare to the frame is too long when the tire is flipped so doesn't hold the spare tightly in place. So, I need to figure out which part this is and order this as well. I think it is this one, but not sure: https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...r-screw-986085
      Actually, it looks like this bolt fits through the foam spacer that holds the tools inside the wheel, so perhaps its the same one. Everything should be here beginning of next week, so fingers crossed!

Same here on my 2018 XC90 T6 R-Design...
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

i am very interested to see where this leads...
      if you succeed i am following

XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

Actually, it looks like this bolt fits through the foam spacer that holds the tools inside the wheel, so perhaps its the same one. Everything should be here beginning of next week, so fingers crossed!
      the way I remember this was exactly as you described, the knob was holding the tire and the foam spaces with the tools...
      If all works, I am going to be a follower too...
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Hi SLARIZ, any news? Did you managed to get the parts? Sooo curious ...
      Past
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Hi SLARIZ, any news? Did you managed to get the parts? Sooo curious ...
      Hi - still waiting on one more part to make sure it all fits together (foam piece to hold jack/etc inside tire). But the new cargo cover definitely fits over the spare tire... will hopefully have a full update and can provide photos as soon as it all comes together in a few days. Very optimistic!

Hi - still waiting on one more part to make sure it all fits together (foam piece to hold jack/etc inside tire). But the new cargo cover definitely fits over the spare tire... will hopefully have a full update and can provide photos as soon as it all comes together in a few days. Very optimistic!
      is there enough space above the spare tire and the cargo floor to just add the storage space?

of did you flip the spare?

XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      is there enough space above the spare tire and the cargo floor to just add the storage space?

of did you flip the spare?

Yes there is enough space without flipping the spare to add the hidden storage tray - however, you have to remove the foam piece holding the tire jack and tools and then you have nowhere to store them. I'm currently trying to get a hold of the storage foam from previous years that fits inside the spare. Still waiting on this piece to see how it all fits together, but I'm sure it will.

And it looks like I may end up with two of the storage trays if anyone is interested in buying one. I don't think its going to be worth it to send it back to the parts store and take the restocking hit. It is part 31484431 if anyone is interested.

I hope to have the foam piece for inside the spare this week and will update with photos when it arrives.

Yes there is enough space without flipping the spare to add the hidden storage tray - however, you have to remove the foam piece holding the tire jack and tools and then you have nowhere to store them. I'm currently trying to get a hold of the storage foam from previous years that fits inside the spare. Still waiting on this piece to see how it all fits together, but I'm sure it will.

And it looks like I may end up with two of the storage trays if anyone is interested in buying one. I don't think its going to be worth it to send it back to the parts store and take the restocking hit. It is part 31484431 if anyone is interested.

I hope to have the foam piece for inside the spare this week and will update with photos when it arrives.
      Why you have 2 different storage trays?
      Are they both the same or different variables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

There isn't a compressor on the US versions at least. I went out in the lot and checked, the tray from a 2016-2019 fits in a 2020 if you pull out the accessory kit... If you get the foam from an earlier one you can probably get the accessory kit to fit in that (or just get a whole kit from a junk yard if you can find one). I don't know why Volvo changed that... but you shouldn't have trouble "upgrading".
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

I'm wondering if the euro hitch fits in the big empty "T" on the right side of the 2020 accessory foam. I know the American 2" ball does NOT fit.. but the foam did add a place to put the hitch pin.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast