Cargo area underfloor storage? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 36 to 57 of 57
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      Why you have 2 different storage trays?
      Are they both the same or different variables?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      So there are two storage trays that will fit - one that has a molded space for where the spare sits (like the photo in the first post) and one that doesn't have the spare mold but is more of an overall slant from back to front to account for the angle the spare sits at. Basically, I got them both to see if one provided more storage than the other. I found hardly any difference between the two, at least for my purposes. I'll try to take a photo to compare them both when I'm back at the vehicle later.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      There isn't a compressor on the US versions at least. I went out in the lot and checked, the tray from a 2016-2019 fits in a 2020 if you pull out the accessory kit... If you get the foam from an earlier one you can probably get the accessory kit to fit in that (or just get a whole kit from a junk yard if you can find one). I don't know why Volvo changed that... but you shouldn't have trouble "upgrading".
      Thanks! Yep, the tray fits no problem without the foam holder for the tools that comes with the MY20 car (the one that sits on top of the spare like the photo in post 3. Waiting now on the older foam piece that will instead fit the tools inside the spare.
      Last edited by slariz; 06-22-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarity

    4. #38
      Junior Member chmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      393
      Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      Thanks! Yep, the tray fits no problem without the foam holder for the tools that comes with the MY20 car (the one that sits on top of the spare like the photo in post 3. Waiting now on the older foam piece that will instead fit the tools inside the spare.
      btw according to the part website (see previous posts) the "old" foam piece that sits in the tire seems to be still used in the V or S90... so availability shouldn't be a concern here ...
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Member Brutus99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      2,339

      Thumbs down

      What I also noticed in the 2020MY is that the shopping bag holder thing is gone Why would they remove this, it was very convenient when you had only few bags so stuff doesn't fly to the back I miss it

      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      2016 XC90 T8 Lease Return
      My Insta

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      635
      Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      What I also noticed in the 2020MY is that the shopping bag holder thing is gone Why would they remove this, it was very convenient when you had only few bags so stuff doesn't fly to the back I miss it
      It's available as an accessory. Could have been factory ordered too, but it never showed up on the consumer facing page... but I'm pretty sure I've ordered one in the 2020 MY for a customer as a port installed option.

      Yep... Grocery Bag Holder Option Code XBGHLD $350
      Last edited by DFrantz; 06-22-2020 at 04:55 PM.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

    8. #41
      Member Brutus99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      2,339
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      It's available as an accessory. Could have been factory ordered too, but it never showed up on the consumer facing page... but I'm pretty sure I've ordered one in the 2020 MY for a customer as a port installed option.

      Yep... Grocery Bag Holder Option Code XBGHLD $350
      Well doesn't show under optional accessories on Canadian site (plus my car came already built not custom order) and also why should that be extra now when it was standard before
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      2016 XC90 T8 Lease Return
      My Insta

    9. #42
      Member satrya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Fremont, north california
      Posts
      1,121
      Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      What I also noticed in the 2020MY is that the shopping bag holder thing is gone Why would they remove this, it was very convenient when you had only few bags so stuff doesn't fly to the back I miss it
      On my 2018MY (T6 Mom+ w/ 3 row), there is only the panel that when lifted, reveals a bit of tilted storage space that goes around the tilted spare tire. Just like the photo in post #1. Looks like replacing this one piece panel with the piece you shown will reduce a bit of the storage space height. Pros and cons.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Posts
      11

      Cargo area underfloor storage?

      Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      my my16 was an air-susp one and had the tray ... it fitted nicely over the two air tanks and the tire (I had the tire instead of the air pump)
      I had a 2017 momentum with air suspension and 7 seats that had the extra storage and bag holder. Just returned lease and picked up 2020 inscription without the storage. Shocked how much that change annoyed me.
      Last edited by Custos; 06-25-2020 at 07:17 AM.

    11. #44
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Posts
      11

      Cargo area underfloor storage?

      Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      Yes there is enough space without flipping the spare to add the hidden storage tray - however, you have to remove the foam piece holding the tire jack and tools and then you have nowhere to store them. I'm currently trying to get a hold of the storage foam from previous years that fits inside the spare. Still waiting on this piece to see how it all fits together, but I'm sure it will.

      And it looks like I may end up with two of the storage trays if anyone is interested in buying one. I don't think its going to be worth it to send it back to the parts store and take the restocking hit. It is part 31484431 if anyone is interested.

      I hope to have the foam piece for inside the spare this week and will update with photos when it arrives.
      I’m interested. Just got my 2020 . Also I’m thinking of adding the bag holder. I loved that thing in my 17.

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      635
      Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      Well doesn't show under optional accessories on Canadian site (plus my car came already built not custom order) and also why should that be extra now when it was standard before
      Like I said, you sorta had to ask for it, I don't think it's likely to find any normal in stock units with it today... It's not really uncommon for something to be moved to the option list. It's nice, but doesn't really do much when you have the 3rd row up, so I think it was deemed as not a huge perk. I've had customers swap the try from their older model into their 2020 XC90. You get 4 years of Volvo On Call now rather than just 6 months... that's a higher cost than the tray is... things just shift in importance.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

    13. #46
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Posts
      75
      I'm watching this thread with great interest. I really miss the underfloor storage.


      Please tell us the party numbers you ended up buying if it all works out.


      Thanks for sharing!

    14. #47
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      12
      Success! All the parts finally arrived and it works wonderfully. Here's what I did and what parts I needed:

      This is what it looked like when I got my 2020 7 passenger XC90. When you pull up the load floor panel, there is a foam piece with the jack and tools sitting on top of the spare tire, along with a piece of foam on either side.

      Here's a photo with the tools in place:




      And with the foam removed:




      That obviously provides no storage - a huge difference from earlier years where hidden storage was a standard feature. So, I flipped the spare around and ordered the piece of foam that fits inside the spare, once you flip the spare upside down. This circular foam piece is Volvo part number 31362300. Make sure to specify that you want this exact part from wherever you order from - the parts supplier I ordered from initially switched this with part 31680034, which is the correct piece of foam for MY2020 and my VIN. However, this is the large original storage piece the car ships with and not at all what I was trying to accomplish by getting the older circular part.

      Once I got the correct circular piece and flipped the spare, I put in the jack and tools. The tools fit very snug inside the foam and took me a while to figure out how it all is supposed to get in there. But it does fit. The bolt that screws in to hold the foam and the spare to the body frame also was a tight fit and took some force downward to get it to engage. I initially thought it wasn't long enough, but did get it to screw in. After that was all in, it looked like this:




      After that was in place, I was able to put in the new cargo compartment. There are actually two different versions of this compartment - one that has a mold for the spare tire and one that is sloped downward rear to front. The storage space they provide seems similar and they both appear to have the same part number. I'm not sure when the style was switched but if you order Volvo part 31484431, you get the sloped version. I was curious about any cargo volume difference so found the one with the spare cutout on Ebay though a junkyard and it also arrived with part number 31484431. So, no idea when it switched designs but it did. For most folks, probably won't matter and it'll come down to personal preference.





      In the end, it all fits together perfectly and for me, the $140 or so in parts was well worth it. Thanks everyone for all your ideas and assistance!

    15. #48
      Member satrya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Fremont, north california
      Posts
      1,121
      Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      There are actually two different versions of this compartment - one that has a mold for the spare tire and one that is sloped downward rear to front. The storage space they provide seems similar and they both appear to have the same part number. I'm not sure when the style was switched but if you order Volvo part 31484431, you get the sloped version. I was curious about any cargo volume difference so found the one with the spare cutout on Ebay though a junkyard and it also arrived with part number 31484431.
      Thanks for sharing the photos. My 2018MY T6 comes with one that looks like the latter, the one with more odd shapes around that can fit more things. From the point of view of taking out the spare donut, I can see that the new design (where the additional cover is missing and the wheel surface is closer to you) is a bit easier to use. In that sense, the newer one is an upgrade, but with less storage space.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

    16. #49
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,415
      For T8, I wonder then, if I sacrifice the small storage and buy a spare wheel, turning upside down like you did, whether then this would not enable T8 to have a spare wheel?

      What's the height of your spare wheel? I'll take measurements tomorrow of the height of I remove the hidden storage bin cover to rather have a spare wheel, assuming it'll be of the same height and rim hole radius

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    17. #50
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      95
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      For T8, I wonder then, if I sacrifice the small storage and buy a spare wheel, turning upside down like you did, whether then this would not enable T8 to have a spare wheel?

      What's the height of your spare wheel? I'll take measurements tomorrow of the height of I remove the hidden storage bin cover to rather have a spare wheel, assuming it'll be of the same height and rim hole radius

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      I'm not sure there's even room for that.... I've noticed the padding underneath the tray and tools is pretty thick, maybe 2-3 inches, maybe for sound deadening?



      Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by B0000rt; 07-06-2020 at 03:36 PM.

    18. #51
      Member satrya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Fremont, north california
      Posts
      1,121
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      For T8, I wonder then, if I sacrifice the small storage and buy a spare wheel, turning upside down like you did, whether then this would not enable T8 to have a spare wheel?
      Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      I'm not sure there's even room for that.... I've noticed the padding underneath the tray and tools is pretty thick, maybe 2-3 inches, maybe for sound deadening?
      Looking at that T8 picture, it is safe to assume that the 2 compressor tanks will be almost impossible to relocate and probably doesn't interfere with a spare donut tire; the 1st version of the cover posted by @slariz a few posts up seem to be built for working with the 2 compressor tanks. One question is whether that blueish grey box with yellow handle and gauge, as well as everything else in that foam assembly can be relocated. If any one of them can't, then it almost doesn't matter what is under that bulbous dark grey carpet, as the spare donut and that blueish grey box interfere with each other.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

    19. #52
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      25
      Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      Looking at that T8 picture, it is safe to assume that the 2 compressor tanks will be almost impossible to relocate and probably doesn't interfere with a spare donut tire; the 1st version of the cover posted by @slariz a few posts up seem to be built for working with the 2 compressor tanks. One question is whether that blueish grey box with yellow handle and gauge, as well as everything else in that foam assembly can be relocated. If any one of them can't, then it almost doesn't matter what is under that bulbous dark grey carpet, as the spare donut and that blueish grey box interfere with each other.
      Everything in that foam assembly can be relocated (that "blueish grey box with yellow handle and gauge" is the portable tire inflator you get for the T8, along with a bottle of fix-a-flat tire slime/goo, instead of the spare donut).

      But it doesn't matter, there is not enough depth in that place to fit in a spare. We just returned from a 3000 mile round trip (TX to MD) in our T8. I really wanted to have a spare during the trip, and so thought about all possibilities and I don't think there is anyway to fit one under the cargo area floor. I finally settled for carry a good tire patch kit. If you must to carry a spare tire on a T8, best to get a roof-top or hitch-mounted carrier and carry a full-size spare.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription with Vision Package, Convenience Package, Luxury Package, Leather Dash, B&W Premium Sound, Air Suspension, Tow Hitch & 21" Wheels

    20. #53
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Posts
      47
      Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      Success! All the parts finally arrived and it works wonderfully. Here's what I did and what parts I needed:
      Wow, nice work @slariz. It's still hard to believe that Volvo flipped the spare upside down (or right side up) and intentionally filled in the space with just foam. What an odd decision.

      Quote Originally Posted by slariz View Post
      After that was in place, I was able to put in the new cargo compartment. There are actually two different versions of this compartment - one that has a mold for the spare tire and one that is sloped downward rear to front. The storage space they provide seems similar and they both appear to have the same part number. I'm not sure when the style was switched but if you order Volvo part 31484431, you get the sloped version. I was curious about any cargo volume difference so found the one with the spare cutout on Ebay though a junkyard and it also arrived with part number 31484431. So, no idea when it switched designs but it did. For most folks, probably won't matter and it'll come down to personal preference.
      The one with the entire area sloped is the the one that goes with the air suspension. The one with the cutout is one for non-air-suspension equipped vehicles. If you look at the one with the cutout and then add the bulges for the air tanks that you see in the one with the full slope, you realize that there would only be just weird little notches around the spare so they went with the full area sloping.

      Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      Looking at that T8 picture, it is safe to assume that the 2 compressor tanks will be almost impossible to relocate and probably doesn't interfere with a spare donut tire; the 1st version of the cover posted by @slariz a few posts up seem to be built for working with the 2 compressor tanks. One question is whether that blueish grey box with yellow handle and gauge, as well as everything else in that foam assembly can be relocated. If any one of them can't, then it almost doesn't matter what is under that bulbous dark grey carpet, as the spare donut and that blueish grey box interfere with each other.
      The T8 picture shows the air compressor tanks for the air suspension but that's what I have in my T6 - minus all the T8 stuff between the compressor tanks. I'm not sure if every T8 comes with an air suspension but my guess is that the cargo tray liner is probably the same regardless?

    21. #54
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,415
      Quote Originally Posted by ktbos View Post
      The T8 picture shows the air compressor tanks for the air suspension but that's what I have in my T6 - minus all the T8 stuff between the compressor tanks. I'm not sure if every T8 comes with an air suspension but my guess is that the cargo tray liner is probably the same regardless?
      The T8 tray liner is shallower because of the rear axle electric motors eating up space underneath.

      I was wondering if the spare was thin enough to take up some T8 space left after removing that liner below the lid and foam for compressors, tyre repair etc

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    22. #55
      Member satrya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Fremont, north california
      Posts
      1,121
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      I was wondering if the spare was thin enough to take up some T8 space left after removing that liner below the lid and foam for compressors, tyre repair etc
      Unfortunately, the donut spare's diameter and tire width is such that placing it there requires one edge to sit under a metal bracket that holds the center pivot for the 2 third row seats. If the edge of the tire is touching that area but not nestled under it, the tire diameter will be such that the other side prevents the lift gate from closing.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

    23. #56
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Posts
      75
      Quote in Australia from a Volvo dealer in Melbourne:
      31484431 - Approx $410
      31362300 - Approx $85

    24. #57
      Junior Member chmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      393
      Quote from a Swiss dealer (chf to usd about 1:1):
      31362300 - CHF 41
      31484431 - CHF 200
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

    25. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 23
      Last Post: 02-26-2020, 08:37 AM
    2. Underfloor storage XC90 boot
      By butwhy in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 02-18-2020, 03:09 AM
    3. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM
    4. Replies: 6
      Last Post: 02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
    5. Cargo net in rear underfloor area?
      By Frederick in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 02-01-2004, 01:31 PM