Replaced the V8 alternator
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Replaced the V8 alternator

Knowing that these alternators like to fail over time, I replaced it with a Bosch remanufactured alternator from FCP. I also had an extra heat shield and plastic snorkel I collected over the years.

The reason why I replaced it is because I was having warranty work done that required the lower engine cradle to be removed in order to install new high and low pressure power steering lines. This allowed unobstructed access to the alternator, serpentine belt, belt tensioner and the two pulleys. For an extra 2 hours of labor, the dealer replaced all (with OE blue box parts, except for the alternator). Doing things this way also qualified me for the Volvo Lifetime Warranty.

Around here you can expect to pay alternator ($700 MSRP+) + labor to replace (7 hrs at $145/hr).

Last edited by PAX5; 06-03-2020 at 06:38 AM.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
      Knowing that these alternators like to fail over time, I replaced it with a Bosch remanufactured alternator from FCP. I also had an extra heat shield and plastic snorkel I collected over the years.

The reason why I replaced it is because I was having warranty work done that required the lower engine cradle to be removed in order to install new high and low pressure power steering lines. This allowed unobstructed access to the alternator, serpentine belt, belt tensioner and the two pulleys. For an extra 2 hours of labor, the dealer replaced all (with OE blue box parts, except for the alternator). Doing things this way also qualified me for the Volvo Lifetime Warranty.
      - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...11#post7592011

Except the part most likely to fail in the future is the alternator and since you bought after market rebuilt in China it`s not covered by Volvo's lifetime warranty. Time will tell how that work`s out. I doubt if it lasts a long as the OEM made in Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Except the part most likely to fail in the future is the alternator and since you bought after market rebuilt in China it`s not covered by Volvo's lifetime warranty. Time will tell how that work`s out. I doubt if it lasts a long as the OEM made in Great Britain.
      True ... IF mine was rebuilt in China.

I was careful to choose one that was rebuilt in the USA. Bosch deliberately distinguishes between "rebuild" and "remanufactured". I am satisfied with the Bosch and FCP lifetime guarantee on the product. It was a calculated risk ... At this point I am ahead: a $250 remanufactured Bosch alternator and a minimal expense to install.

If/when it fails in the future, I will have to figure out if I'm willing to pay the labor to replace it.

Having said all that, you motivated me not to sell my original alternator!

PS. The "Made in Great Britain" print you see in the above picture is just the black plastic shield. It is designed to hold the plastic snorkel. It is not the alternator part number. The alternator armature itself has no Volvo sticker or part number on it, just the Bosch name.
      Last edited by PAX5; 06-03-2020 at 06:34 AM.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements