Towing a car and trailer with an R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So I need to go pickup my donor s60r from dallas, 5hours each way and since enterprise is the only company that will rent a 3/4 ton truck I was doing some research.
      From what I've seen some people have towed older s70s and other heavier sedans and even someone who towed a 3000lb boat on a 1509lb trailer
      I have a 1300lb race trailer I'll be using.

Hoping for some input.

Also my car is an 06 V70R on coilovers. No oem 4c

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why would you need a 3/4 ton truck?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      Why would you need a 3/4 ton truck?

It's the ONLY option in terms of rentals that has a tow hitch. Budget and all those rental companies remove them specifically so you cant use their f150 to tow.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnslo View Post
      It's the ONLY option in terms of rentals that has a tow hitch. Budget and all those rental companies remove them specifically so you cant use their f150 to tow.

Ahh. The load is probably over the bumper hitch's rating.

No friends/neighbors with a truck?

Last edited by Exocet; 06-10-2020 at 08:36 PM.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      Ahh. The load is probably over the bumper hitch's rating.

No friends/neighbors with a truck?

Really? I wonder how other people have done it.
      Sadly no I wish haha I'm already borrowing the trailer from a buddy.

Just tow it **** it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      Just tow it **** it.

Hahahaha saying **** it and towing it could lead to a lot of damage that I'd rather not cause unless someone can give me some solid experience

You can say f-it but if you're involved in a wreck while exceeding limits there may be legal ramifications. Doesn't even need to be your fault, it can be viewed as a cause that made an accident unavoidable.

Instagram: @oliepyle
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

Quote Originally Posted by b5v6 View Post
      You can say f-it but if you're involved in a wreck while exceeding limits there may be legal ramifications. Doesn't even need to be your fault, it can be viewed as a cause that made an accident unavoidable.

Good point

The tow rating on the V70R is 3,500 lbs and using it to tow a S60R on a 1,300 trailer is a very bad idea. The risk exposure of this setup far exceeds the cost of renting a truck or truck/trailer combo from Uhaul.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 140k.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
      The tow rating on the V70R is 3,500 lbs and using it to tow a S60R on a 1,300 trailer is a very bad idea. The risk exposure of this setup far exceeds the cost of renting a truck or truck/trailer combo from Uhaul.
      I know but that doesnt change the fact theres a few people on here who have towed a combined total of 4500lbs or more with no issues that's why I was asking around

Quote Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
      This was one guy on here unless euro spec cars are different

I know but that doesnt change the fact theres a few people on here who have towed a combined total of 4500lbs or more with no issues that's why I was asking around

That's why I said tow it, **** it. Ratings are way less than what's actually structurally doable with your equipment. Everything is dumbed down because we have a bunch of idiots in this world who will do dumb **** and then sue people cuz they weren't explicitly told "this cup of mcdangles hot coffee is HOT!"
      I would at least try it and see how sketchy it is. If it doesn't seem right, bail. But I drove a v70 cross country that had a really bad suspension and a steering rack that was super notchy and "not safe.".

You'll be alright

Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

the person that exceeds the safe and legal tow limit on their vehicle is one of those idiots you describe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I`m sure someone`s towed 6000lbs and made it safely. But is exceeding limits a good idea, your call. Remember the turbo will be boosting higher pressures for the whole trip and pulling long grades will will have much higher pressures for an extended period. Not to mention if your R is an Automatic the torque converter will be churning away as it drops from 6th to 5th or even 4th continually, making trans temp higher.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 06-11-2020 at 01:44 AM.

. Everything is dumbed down because we have a bunch of idiots in this world l. But I drove a v70 cross country that had a really bad suspension and a steering rack that was super notchy and "not safe.".

Dumbed down because of idiots who drive cars with really bad suspension and notchy steering. Notchy steering has a way of becoming locked steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Dumbed down because of idiots who drive cars with really bad suspension and notchy steering. Notchy steering has a way of becoming locked steering.
      I made it home and continued to drive it up until this day when I need to haul stuff. We put the car up on the rack and looked everything over and had the worst of it replaced (bulging tires and a bad ball joint.)

Don't insinuate I'm an idiot when you clearly don't know wtf you're talking about. There is a clear difference between calculated risk and being ignorant. Why would you let it shift into 6th gear while towing! Turbo is boosting higher pressures when towing... Wtf are you talking about. It will still boost to whatever the ECU map tells it to. Engine will be working harder yes, you will be in boost more than you normally would, yes. But that's why you keep it in 5th gear or lower and keep your speed down and watch your engine oil, coolant and haldex temps. Make sure you're brakes are in top notch, same goes for tires.

Someone already posted this question before and everyone came to the conclusion it's fine because the towing specs were higher in a different country where this car is sold, hence why I say **** it, tow it. DONT say **** it throw it in 6th gear at 55mph lmaooo

Last edited by TristanScott; 06-11-2020 at 08:14 AM.

UHaul rents pick up trucks for towing.

https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/Pickup-Truck/

I wouldn't tow that load with your car. Not only are you over the towing weight limit (legal liability) for the vehicle you'd most likely be over the tongue weight limit (which is really low for these cars) and you'd of course need a weight distributing hitch as well as a way to operate the trailer brakes. Just spend the couple hundred bucks and get the UHaul - my 2 cents.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

How much is the combined weight? 4000lbs? That in itself is not bad assuming the trailer has brakes. I would not be concerned about that. The tongue weight may make this unworkable though. Iím a novice at this but Iíve read that you should expect tongue weight to be 10% of weight. In this case 400lb +. That is more than double the limit. Iím a civil engineer by training - in many structural courses in school, safety factors of 2 were often employed in basic calcís/empirical formulas...over 2 and I start to get a bit worried. The tongue weight could be more than double in this case. Thatís a fair bit of sag! Also, if you donít have a trans cooler on there, Iím not sure you should even consider it. If you do consider it, be sure to use manual shift mode to better manage the transmission usage.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      Last edited by bigtimemcalpine; 06-11-2020 at 09:50 AM.
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

I made it home and continued to drive it up until this day when I need to haul stuff. We put the car up on the rack and looked everything over and had the worst of it replaced (bulging tires and a bad ball joint.)

Don't insinuate I'm an idiot when you clearly don't know wtf you're talking about. There is a clear difference between calculated risk and being ignorant. Why would you let it shift into 6th gear while towing! Turbo is boosting higher pressures when towing... Wtf are you talking about. It will still boost to whatever the ECU map tells it to. Engine will be working harder yes, you will be in boost more than you normally would, yes. But that's why you keep it in 5th gear or lower and keep your speed down and watch your engine oil, coolant and haldex temps. Make sure you're brakes are in top notch, same goes for tires.

Someone already posted this question before and everyone came to the conclusion it's fine because the towing specs were higher in a different country where this car is sold, hence why I say **** it, tow it. DONT say **** it throw it in 6th gear at 55mph lmaooo

Your "calculated risk" puts others in danger just not yourself. How much higher are these supposed specs? If the ECU says boost to 14psi for 10 mins pulling a grade it will ( not great for engine life ). "Make sure you're (should be your ) brakes are in top notch, same goes for tires", and then you drive with a bulge in a tire. Why would anyone insinuate you are an idiot ? Thankfully you are not an airline pilot as I am, since you would take your own definition of calculated risk and kill people.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 06-11-2020 at 03:19 PM.

You could check out 'Turo' for a truck rental, they've got an app. It's essentially the air bnb of vehicles. You just rent the vehicle from someone local - it's identified if they are ok for towing, usually cheaper than the Uhaul chains and such. I was gonna rent one to tow a donor v70r a while back from thunder bay (12hour drive), but the car sold before I could execute.

U-Haul. I've done it with my R to the shop and there was no issue. Get a 15ft I believe and the car hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by kartner View Post
      You could check out 'Turo' for a truck rental, they've got an app. It's essentially the air bnb of vehicles. You just rent the vehicle from someone local - it's identified if they are ok for towing, usually cheaper than the Uhaul chains and such. I was gonna rent one to tow a donor v70r a while back from thunder bay (12hour drive), but the car sold before I could execute.
      This is a great idea!

Your "calculated risk" puts others in danger just not yourself. How much higher are these supposed specs? If the ECU says boost to 14psi for 10 mins pulling a grade it will ( not great for engine life ). "Make sure you're (should be your ) brakes are in top notch, same goes for tires", and then you drive with a bulge in a tire. Why would anyone insinuate you are an idiot ? Thankfully you are not an airline pilot as I am, since you would take your own definition of calculated risk and kill people.
      Wow someone's triggered lol.
      You have me on my mispelling. That's about all you have. I said I replaced the bulging tires.
      You are not going to go full boost for 10 minutes.
      You seem to have a tenuous grasp on the laws of physics. Not a good quality to have in a pilot. But you have autopilot to save you. I can see how these other matters can be a bit over your head.

....Don't insinuate I'm an idiot when you clearly don't know wtf you're talking about. There is a clear difference between calculated risk and being ignorant....
      Look up broken rear axles for pickup trucks because people exceeded their tow limits. Calculated, what a joke.

I'm sure you got a rebuttal but it's more than that too. It's about your vehicle (to include load) being able to make and handle maneuvers to avoid emergencies and keep others on the road safe. Some states will ticket the driver who may not have caused the accident because they exceeded the limits of their vehicle. And like my buddy with a CDL said when I was thinking about beefing up my truck to tow a bigger travel trailer, if someone does in that accident you will have lawsuits and serious criminal charges against you.

Last, the insurance may not cover the trailer and its load due to the "calculated" negligence.

'05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)

Look up broken rear axles for pickup trucks because people exceeded their tow limits. Calculated, what a joke.

I'm sure you got a rebuttal but it's more than that too. It's about your vehicle (to include load) being able to make and handle maneuvers to avoid emergencies and keep others on the road safe. Some states will ticket the driver who may not have caused the accident because they exceeded the limits of their vehicle. And like my buddy with a CDL said when I was thinking about beefing up my truck to tow a bigger travel trailer, if someone does in that accident you will have lawsuits and serious criminal charges against you.

Last, the insurance may not cover the trailer and its load due to the "calculated" negligence.

You are completely right I'm not arguing any of those things couldn't potentially happen but that's what calculated risk is about. How likely are those things to happen? How many what ifs are we going to draw out in every proposed "risky" situation?
      I was literally joking around by saying **** it, tow it. I know almost no variables about this situation and that's not indicative of what I would actually do in the real world. I was only making a joke.
      When people try and justify a decision with a vague understanding of the facts and a miscalculation of what would actually happen like this guy saying your going to boost to 14psi for ten minutes and how that would be bad, that's when I have to step in. No **** that would be bad, don't do that! That's not what I'm saying to do. Just because I would take on more risk than you doesn't make me ignorant or stupid, it may just mean I'm more confident in my abilities and my approximations of physics because I have a good track record. Excessive caution, to me, is sometimes indicative of someone who doesn't have a strong ability to draw these things out in their mind and would rather error on the side of overly cautious than trust themselves to make decisions. Think for yourself using all the facts and information you can gather.

Wow someone's triggered lol.
      You have me on my mispelling. That's about all you have. I said I replaced the bulging tires.
      You are not going to go full boost for 10 minutes.
      You seem to have a tenuous grasp on the laws of physics. Not a good quality to have in a pilot. But you have autopilot to save you. I can see how these other matters can be a bit over your head.

I'm sure you replaced the bulging tires after driving on them a considerable distance along with an unkown reason for notchy steering. Ever think what can happen if the reason for notchy steering is a broken tooth off the pinion gear? Of course not, because you take a what you call "calculated risk" with other peoples lives you are on the road as idiots like to do.. Calculated risk, means calculated not a hypothesis based on feeble judgement.

IPD warns about towing heavy loads on long steep grades if you upgrade your ECU to provide more boost, so someone with more knowledge than you has concerns about staying boosted at high pressures for extended periods. I live in an area where there are multiple lengthy steep mountain passes of 30 miles or more. You're a flat lander and don't understand.

You don't seem to have a care in the world about putting others in harms way with inept "calculations"

I love my autopilot
      Last edited by Thommykent; 06-14-2020 at 03:38 PM.

This was one guy on here unless euro spec cars are different

About this combination, a license plate check shows this combination weighs 2,002 kg (1,412 for the S70 and 590 for the trailer) and unless the S70 is missing some internals it is border line illegal (2,000 kg) to tow an S70 with this trailer. At 4,414 lbs the combination almost definitely weighs more than the V70R and this combo easily exceeds the legal limit for the car in the Netherlands. Perhaps that's why a picture was taken to begin with ("see what I towed with my R today!"). Also note that the speed limit for towing in the Netherlands is 80 km/h and it is completely flat. Pulling more than your weight is a very bad idea, doing it at speeds over 50 mph is a worse idea and going up and down hills .....

TristanScott's advise to "tow it,**** it" is pure ****.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 140k.

But remember Tristan uses "calculated risk" using his own made up laws of physics. His formula for calculations seems to forget risk to others. He likes to "think for yourself" without any deference . What could possibly go wrong.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 06-15-2020 at 01:23 AM.

I'm sure you replaced the bulging tires after driving on them a considerable distance along with an unkown reason for notchy steering. Ever think what can happen if the reason for notchy steering is a broken tooth off the pinion gear? Of course not, because you take a what you call "calculated risk" with other peoples lives you are on the road as idiots like to do.. Calculated risk, means calculated not a hypothesis based on feeble judgement.

IPD warns about towing heavy loads on long steep grades if you upgrade your ECU to provide more boost, so someone with more knowledge than you has concerns about staying boosted at high pressures for extended periods. I live in an area where there are multiple lengthy steep mountain passes of 30 miles or more. You're a flat lander and don't understand.

You don't seem to have a care in the world about putting others in harms way with inept "calculations"

I love my autopilot

Broken pinion tooth on the rack? Really? That's a thing that happens exactly never.

I'd feel much safer towing with my own car than some beat to sh. rental truck. Or one of those scary U-Haul trailers that are insanely heavy and the brakes usually don't work.

Of course nobody who tunes says it is safe to tow. Because they find power by eliminating the safety margin that Volvo built in. Volvo didn't say "welp, 296hp, that's good let's stop there", they figured "what if some dumbass tries to tow up a mountain in 6th gear at 15psi boost for ten minutes" and accounted for that.

If it were me, I'd pull the bumper cover, install a tow bar from Harbor Freight, and go for it. (This is how I got my GTI home, although I towed with a 2.5RS)

You should see the "road trains" of cars headed south! Dealers from Mexico come up here and buy cheap cars at Copart auctions, fix them enough so they can roll and one of them can move under its own power, and flat-tow two cars behind a lead car. The police never hassle them because they never cause problems. Be like them: Be cautious and steady and you'll get there.

There's some sort of malignant mindset in the US that you have to be able to tow at 90mph uphill and downhill. That's crazy. Keep it under 60.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 06-18-2020 at 05:59 AM.
      '06 S60 R GT (226k and counting)
      '84 RX-7 rallycross champion domination-bucket
      '81 RX-7 ex-rallycross champion sunny day cruiser
      '73 RX-3 proto-rallycross-champion
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v K24-7400 in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Noosy Cricket View Post
      You should see the "road trains" of cars headed south! Dealers from Mexico come up here and buy cheap cars at Copart auctions, fix them enough so they can roll and one of them can move under its own power, and flat-tow two cars behind a lead car. The police never hassle them because they never cause problems. Be like them: Be cautious and steady and you'll get there.

There's some sort of malignant mindset in the US that you have to be able to tow at 90mph uphill and downhill. That's crazy. Keep it under 60.
      Lol everybody's doing it mentality. At least those heading south have an out if something goes wrong, they just have to make it across the border. I'm sure that's part of their calculated risk. There's a lot more to towing than just up, there's a good chance the weight limits have to do with the limitations of the body/frame, the brakes, and the suspension. I've driven across country 8 times (one direction) and cannot say I've seen a mess of a towing configuration so it can't be as abundant as you make it seem.

1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite
      Family Fleet:
      2000 S40 1.9T White/Cloth
      COMING SOON: 2009 C30 T5 R-Design M66 Silver/Two-Tone

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

Do not, under any circumstances, tow beyond what your vehicle is rated to tow with (3300lbs for the P2 S60R/V70R)

Doing so will expose you to obvious liability if you are involved in an accident. Everything will immediately become your fault, regardless of what happened. Your insurance company will likely consider you negligent and refuse to cover you.

That being said, the S60R is totally capable at 3300lbs:

(note, the engine/transmission were removed from the Firebird, so even with the ~700 lbs dolly, I was under 3300 lbs).
      Last edited by Arch Stanton; 06-18-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noosy Cricket View Post
      Broken pinion tooth on the rack? Really? That's a thing that happens exactly never.
      Example tooth failure http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar....e-water-entry/

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast