SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Stealth Hitch Video Install on a Volvo XC90

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  lamarguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello my lovely Volvo Community.

With my growing family, the XC90 needed to use some external cargo carrying solutions, which is why I decided to install a hitch and share the install with you.
After doing a lot of research I realized that OEM is just too obtrusive, and everything else out there just doesn't cut it. THEN I stumbled upon Stealth Hitches and I was really blown away.
The kit is by far the best out there, does not cut into the face of the bumper and can be completely hidden if needed! And of course it has glowing reviews.

It weights about 40lbs which is not too terrible (I validated it on the scale).

I purchased both the Hitch as well as the Tow package, which comes with the wiring harness. Wiring was straight forward and it comes with everything you need, down to the little rubber plugs to snake the wire.

First and foremost, the instructions were extremely easy to follow. The whole install took me about 2 hours, with filming.
Fitment and quality are both 100% and I could not be happier with the setup. Oh and the customer service is superb!!! I am super happy with it and have already tested it with a bike rack.

Please review the below video if you are curious about the installation process. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Product Link: https://stealthhitches.com/products/xc90-2nd-gen-model-years-2016-2017?variant=32516513431645

Video Link:

See less See more
1 5
#4 ·
How much was the software update at the Volvo dealer?

#5 ·
Fantastic video, I have a '20 XC90 Inscription with air suspension and need to tow a 3,500 lb Sea Ray without trailer brakes (weight for boat+trailer) 2-4 times a year. I went with the Draw-Tite system as it was quite a bit cheaper and has a higher tongue weight, I also didn't care if the hitch box is permanently exposed. I got the Volvo factory wire harness (part 31373661) and the hitch module (part 31454602) as I wanted to be able to tow my Miata with a car trailer (which would likely have brakes) and felt much better about using the factory harness and trailer hitch module as after programming allows the module to communicate with the XC90 making use of the anti-sway stabilization, as well as using different shift points on the transmission. Without that harness/module the car doesn't know the vehicle is towing anything - which is fine for bikes, but not the best approach with a trailer.

My dealer quoted me $900 to fit all these bits including the programming/pairing the module to the car. An independent hitch installation company quoted $300, but had not ever used the factory wiring harness or the module - so this information will be invaluable if I use them or if I decide to do it myself. Leaning toward doing it myself, it doesn't appear to be too terribly difficult.

#7 ·
Thank you for your tutorial videos. They are very helpful for SPA XC90 owners. Learned a lot from your dash cam and radar detector install video as well!

#9 ·
Can you tell me what you mean by the OEM solution being too obtrusive? I'm trying to decide between the OEM hitch and the stealth hitch. I don't care about wiring harnesses as I'd only be using the hitch for bicycles. Which is better for that case? I'm quite nervous about having a 3rd party cut into my mint condition bumper parts to add the stealth hitch...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.