S60 R Design Compared to Acura TLX
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S60 R Design Compared to Acura TLX

I've had an 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec Red and just switch to a 2019 S60 T6 R-Design (Polestar, B&W, Advance Package). Here are my first impressions/comparisons:
      - The technology in the S60 is much better than the Acura. System is intuitive and a little overwhelming at first, but pretty easy to master (took a day or so)
      - Seats in the Volvo are much more comfortable although, I will miss the ventilated seats.
      - Volvo is faster, but Acura is a much smoother power.
      - Acura is a more responsive and smoother ride.
      - Acura is a better looking car IMO, but it's close.
      - The Bowers and Wilkins sound system is a huge improvement. True game changer.
      - Volvo build and materials feel more solid and higher quality. However, noise doors make when locking sounds really cheap (small issue).
      - Autopilot assist works very well in Volvo.
      - Acura SHAWD handling is better than the Volvo.

Have only had the Volvo a few days, but I thoroughly enjoy the car. Had a three hour drive to bring the car home and not only enjoyed the ride, but felt comfortable getting out of the car. No seat fatigue at all. This is my third Volvo and am very glad to be back.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great review, thanks for sharing. I test drove an acura sh awd but the fake engine sound was a turn off but I always wondered how the car would compare to the S60 R Design. I drive a 2018 S60 R Design and feel the suspension is tighter than the Acura but the Acura I drove was 2017 I think.

The Volvo seats sure are nice and supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RDesing no ventilation seats was a deal brakes for me. Function over form for me (plus V60 and S60 could have the massaging seats).

Looks like you’re review is very specific to two cars with options you selected. Good Information regardless.

B&W is definitely worth every penny.
      Last edited by Kamil; 06-15-2020 at 10:09 PM.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have ventilated seats but you don’t feel cool air like the Lexus ventilated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by vr2660 View Post
      I have ventilated seats but you don’t feel cool air like the Lexus ventilated seats.

Don’t know much about Lexus are the seats ventilated or cooled? If just ventilated like Volvo air conditioning charge, size, optional 3rd zone cooling and where you direct the air flow will have affect on the seats ventilation quality.

What specific cars are you compering New vs New car vs car or suv? A lot of things to consider.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

I compared these two cars before buying, I could have lined up a similar deal on the V6 SH-AWD ASpec due to the massive incentives. Not having lived with them I don't have the same perspective, just as a buyer who drove them both.

I really wanted to like the Acura. The smooth V6 power and the SH-AWD. It was a let down in some areas that the Volvo did it for me. I wasn't even thinking about a Volvo until the broker I used turned me on to it. Ultimately I think the S60 T6 R-D Volvo beat it out as a "sport sedan"

What turned me off the Acura:
      Love them red seats, but not enough support or bolstering, Volvo sport seats are amazing.
      Acura ELS sound systems are legendary, but the TLX is a bit of a let down of that tradition
      The ZF9 trans has some drivability issues but could have lived with that.
      The A-Spec has the look of sport, but they did not go nearly far enough in tuning, it's too soft, when Volvo has the sport chassis available that is just perfect.

SH-AWD is superior, torque vectoring baby! But it can't make up for the marshmallow suspension that lets it down hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      What turned me off the Acura:
      Love them red seats, but not enough support or bolstering, Volvo sport seats are amazing....
      This. I sat in multiple late-model Acura's, and just could not get comfortable at all. Something about the curvature of the back cushion, and bolstering is poor.
      2020 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Bursting Blue / Black
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      This. I sat in multiple late-model Acura's, and just could not get comfortable at all. Something about the curvature of the back cushion, and bolstering is poor.
      Could be design more for smaller people that normally buy their cars, interested how tall and big you are?

I have same problem as I’m six tree and 210lbs not many cars feel “design for my size” no Japanese / Chinese for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Could be design more for smaller people that normally buy their cars, interested how tall and big you are?

I have same problem as I’m six tree and 210lbs not many cars feel “design for my size” no Japanese / Chinese for sure...
      Oddly, I wanted to make sure I had the seat extender for thigh support. I was more comfortable in Acura with the seats extended. In the Volvo, I feel better without the extension engaged.

I was actually on the development team that helped launch the 18 TLX, and let me tell you those red seats were a pain in the ass for a year of my life. There was a lot of behind the scenes work to make the leather and piping on those look good.

Regarding the ventilation, I have the vented seats on my S60 and they are pretty good, but nowhere near as powerful as the ones in my 9-5. I think that Volvo prioritized the volume of the fans over the performance as the fans on my S60 are a lot quieter.
      Current: 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 1986 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
      Past: 2020 S60 T5 Inscription (VCNA Buyback), 2013 Acura TSX, 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

Quote Originally Posted by ngphill View Post
      I was actually on the development team that helped launch the 18 TLX
      I have so many questions
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      I have so many questions
      Let's just say I sometimes I even wonder how we manage to build a car.
      Current: 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 1986 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
      Past: 2020 S60 T5 Inscription (VCNA Buyback), 2013 Acura TSX, 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
      I have so many questions
      Current: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country - Pebble Grey, Blond
      Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Vibrant Copper, Beechwood

Acura= push button shifter. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
      Acura= push button shifter. Bye.
      I'd much rather have the push button shifter than the double-tap you have to do in the T8 models to get it to drive. Much more intuitive to just press D than to tap down twice.
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements