first time Volvo owner - S60 T6 R-Design
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

first time Volvo owner - S60 T6 R-Design

New owner here...picked up a red 2019 S60 T6 RD last Wednesday (6/10/20)....it has ALL options except, oddly, the 19" wheels & CD player. I thought I'd miss the 19" wheels, but the 18s give it an almost plush, quiet ride. Super happy with all of it so far.
      It's red, more of a tomato red than a bright red. Very pretty. I'm not a huge (or wide) guy (6'2", 205) but the seat side bolsters DO intrude on my butt more than I like. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Love the effortless power, the tech, the SOLID chassis & handling, the quiet ride. Mileage so far has been so-so at around 20 MPG around town. Have not been on a long interstate road trip yet. My wife, kids and friends particularly impressed with the interior design and materials. MUCH nicer than what you get with a 3-series BMW for sure. The B&W audio is nothing short of simply amazing....best OEM set-up I've ever heard.
      Have had a few negative comments about Volvo being Chinese owned. My answer is hey at least it's American made!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats! many of the loaded red ones were early models sent out in the first batch to dealers. Did you have the "sport chassis" listed on your sticker? It's an option but was standard on the very early ones. Most or all of those seem to have had the 19s though. Great deals on 2019s that are hanging around if you bought it new! The CD player is an option other markets but I don't believe it was available in the US so you're not "missing it" anyways.

Volvo seems to have been independent, though Chinese owned, operating out of Sweden. Only recently they have announced they will be developing powertrains together with Geely for example.

Personally I employ my fellow Americans where I can, I wear US made clothes for example. Being built in South Carolina was a plus for the S60 to me!

Small wheels ftw! Ride better and tires are cheaper. Congrats on your first Volvo! They're addicting. You're absolutely correct, the Volvo B&W is one of the top systems on the market bar none.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Small wheels ftw! Ride better and tires are cheaper. Congrats on your first Volvo! They're addicting. You're absolutely correct, the Volvo B&W is one of the top systems on the market bar none.
      +2. I always try to go with smaller wheels for these reasons (mostly ride quality). And yes, Volvo's are addicting Whenever I shop for a new vehicle I look far and wide at all brands and models in the segment. Every time Volvo's beats the field in quality, design and performance (what I value in performance anyway).
      2020 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Bursting Blue / Black
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

after 2 weeks now of ownership, still thrilled.....took me days (off and on) to learn all the tech features, but by now it comes naturally.
      I doubt it has the sport suspension, mostly because of the 18" wheels, and the fact that it rides so smoothly. The OE Conti ProContact TX tires are not exactly known for quiet ride or exceptional handling characteristics, so I guessing better tires like Bridgestone QuietTracks would make it even more amazing, and handle even better.
      I like the stance as-is, yet I think the rear could stand to be about 10mm lower. Might get some shorter leaf spring spacers in the near future.
      Had it up to 110 mph on I-69 south of Houston last week...and it got there damn quick too.
      Bought a center console tray off Amazon for roughly 11 bucks last week....highly recommended, and surprising quality for the price. makes the console storage much better organized.

Which center console tray?

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Congrats! many of the loaded red ones were early models sent out in the first batch to dealers. Did you have the "sport chassis" listed on your sticker? It's an option but was standard on the very early ones. Most or all of those seem to have had the 19s though. Great deals on 2019s that are hanging around if you bought it new! The CD player is an option other markets but I don't believe it was available in the US so you're not "missing it" anyways.

Volvo seems to have been independent, though Chinese owned, operating out of Sweden. Only recently they have announced they will be developing powertrains together with Geely for example.

Personally I employ my fellow Americans where I can, I wear US made clothes for example. Being built in South Carolina was a plus for the S60 to me!
      What was the VIN sequence for the standard sport chassis? Mine is a fairly low sequence number.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      What was the VIN sequence for the standard sport chassis? Mine is a fairly low sequence number.
      I don't have no idea! But here is an example, I can't be sure it's one but looks like a very early red one sent to dealers and can't see the windows sticker but assuming it is, the VIN ends in 0792. https://www.corleysalbuquerquevolvo....38588e6b80.htm

My own car ends in 2899 and it has the sport chassis option $200 so it was def optional by then.

I've posted info about sport chassis, if you want to check, measure ride height from center of the wheel to the fender. Normal Dynamic should be 382/385mm f/r, sport chassis should be 370/369mm f/r. That is from Volvo service manual in VIDA.

Congratulations,

Same issue I have with the seats, I found if you play with the adjustment by going up first then down I’m able to move the seat more back and remove some of that pain from the right leg.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Quote Originally Posted by fastexas View Post
      The OE Conti ProContact TX tires are not exactly known for quiet ride or exceptional handling characteristics, so I guessing better tires like Bridgestone QuietTracks would make it even more amazing, and handle even better.
      That's interesting, Volvo is using a grand touring tire on the R-Design 18's. I don't know if that is a running change or not but my R-D with 19's has ultra-high performance Pirelli all seasons, the ones with the foam that are known to cause vibration issues. Volvo seems to have changed their mind a lot, many of the press cars were on touring tires, Conti premium contact summer touring.

Perhaps this is why opinions are all over the place. Tires are such a huge factor. 18's vs 19's is one thing, but performance level and according sidewall stiffness have an effect too. I haven't been disappointed at all with the sport chassis and Pirellis. But that's my preference. I'm getting some real summer performance tires soon, we shall see how that goes.

I don't have no idea! But here is an example, I can't be sure it's one but looks like a very early red one sent to dealers and can't see the windows sticker but assuming it is, the VIN ends in 0792. https://www.corleysalbuquerquevolvo....38588e6b80.htm

My own car ends in 2899 and it has the sport chassis option $200 so it was def optional by then.

I've posted info about sport chassis, if you want to check, measure ride height from center of the wheel to the fender. Normal Dynamic should be 382/385mm f/r, sport chassis should be 370/369mm f/r. That is from Volvo service manual in VIDA.
      Thanks. Mine is a higher sequence number.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Joneswood....It was the Oceson Center Armrest Inset Organizer Tray for Volvo XC60. Fits S60s perfectly even though not listed in the fitment. We have the same interior console obviously.
      Just search for the above on Amazon. I'm super pleased with it, although price has gone up a couple of bucks.

Thanks, excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by fastexas View Post
      Joneswood....It was the Oceson Center Armrest Inset Organizer Tray for Volvo XC60. Fits S60s perfectly even though not listed in the fitment. We have the same interior console obviously.
      Just search for the above on Amazon. I'm super pleased with it, although price has gone up a couple of bucks.
      Do you know if that will fit an iPhone X in its case, in that tray?

I don’t have a tray in my XC60, and I have to have my phone all cockeyed and diagonal in the console.

I can't stand when people mention it's Chinese owned like what does that even mean to you? It's still through and through Swedish. Plus the owner of Geely is a car freak. Supposedly he loves all kinds of cars and has stock in a couple different manufactures. So not only is it owned by a badass but he also makes great business decisions to have Swedes design, Chinese produce, and Americans assemble with pride.
      Last edited by LostCorner; 07-12-2020 at 10:21 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design
      "Prancing Moose Edition"

Quote Originally Posted by LostCorner View Post
      I can't stand when people mention it's Chinese owned like what does that even mean to you? It's still through and through Swedish. Plus the owner of Geely is a car freak. Supposedly he loves all kinds of cars and has stock in a couple different manufactures. So not only is it owned by a badass but he also makes great business decisions to have Swedes design, Chinese produce, and Americans assemble with pride.
      When people can’t win an argument with facts and data the go for what they can. Unfortunately in USA we changed from hating on Russia to bash China so it’s Easy for ignorant people to say that.

Forgetting that all apples products and most of the things they own use is made in China. Just like every country China has good products and bad products and good manufacturing and bad manufacturing.

A lot of people buy a lot of cheap products from China because they want to save money and then they blame that the product quality is not there.

Because you’re also brought up just because somebody owns a company that doesn’t mean they manage the company or that he 100% influences the product design some people want to buy a successful company just to make money and they let the previous owners still manage and designed the cars the way they want to.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCorner View Post
      Ask them where their iPhone is made. If someone makes a statement like that, they're just displaying their lack of understanding of today's auto industry....or displaying a very outdated perspective.

Jaguar/Land Rover are owned by Tata (India), and Rolls Royce is no longer "purely British", as BMW purchased them many years ago. I remember when BMW bought Rolls Royce, the die-hards were flipping out - I guess the irony of "zee Germans" buying out Rolls Royce, who made aircraft engines in WWII to battle Germany, was too much for some.

Keep in mind that Geely also owns 10% of Mercedes, and that might go up given the current state of things in the auto industry.

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      +2. I always try to go with smaller wheels for these reasons (mostly ride quality). And yes, Volvo's are addicting Whenever I shop for a new vehicle I look far and wide at all brands and models in the segment. Every time Volvo's beats the field in quality, design and performance (what I value in performance anyway).
      Same here. So glad I went with the 18s. Here in Colorado, I put on a set of performance snow tires. They drive great in all conditions. Better ride, better snow performance, and the handling is rock solid.
      Marc
      2020 S60 RD Polestar (Pebble Gray)

That's interesting, Volvo is using a grand touring tire on the R-Design 18's. I don't know if that is a running change or not but my R-D with 19's has ultra-high performance Pirelli all seasons, the ones with the foam that are known to cause vibration issues. Volvo seems to have changed their mind a lot, many of the press cars were on touring tires, Conti premium contact summer touring.
      Which Pirelli all seasons have the foam and vibration problem? I did a quick search on the forums but it's not clear from all the different threads. I just got a V60 T8 TE Inscription that I'm picking up next week (in Sweden) and it has Pirelli Cinturato P7 summer tires by default. Couldn't change them since those are the tires that came with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by calkenneth View Post
      Which Pirelli all seasons have the foam and vibration problem? I did a quick search on the forums but it's not clear from all the different threads. I just got a V60 T8 TE Inscription that I'm picking up next week (in Sweden) and it has Pirelli Cinturato P7 summer tires by default. Couldn't change them since those are the tires that came with the car.
      It's the P Zeros on the Volvo with foam. If they have the foam you will see a "PNCS" somewhere on the sidewall, for "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System"

FWIW I have the OEM Conti PremiumContact 6 summers with the ContiSilent foam and they're vibration free up to do-not-pass-go-direct-to-jail speeds.
      2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered

It's the P Zeros on the Volvo with foam. If they have the foam you will see a "PNCS" somewhere on the sidewall, for "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System"
      Thanks. Looks like the Cinturato P7 also comes in a PNCS version so we will see what I end up getting when I pick up the car in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Car, I'm I just purchased an S60 T6R D-Design as well.

Last edited by S60R_VB; 08-15-2020 at 05:19 AM.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements