2016 - 2018 Auto Start / Stop Disable - possible solution - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      [/Quote]hahah... The first thing I do every time after turn on the car is to disable start/stop. it has been 4 years....[/QUOTE]

+1 right here. We have done it for 3 years with the 2017. Super annoying, but just get in the habit and it's easy to deal with.. And I bought a 2020 and have only pressed that button *once*!! That is a good feeling hahaha

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      and if you are really having trouble accommodating it in things like left-turn situations, you're not a very good driver.
      That's false accusation. When you release the brake pedal, and this Auto S/S thing failed to start the engine, left you sitting in the middle of traffic, how dare you claim it's the driver's fault?
      2017 XC90 T6 Momentum White

Quote Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
      That's false accusation. When you release the brake pedal, and this Auto S/S thing failed to start the engine, left you sitting in the middle of traffic, how dare you claim it's the driver's fault?
      You were able to stop at the spot, and should be able to keep staying there in case engine failed to start.
      Even it turns to green light for crossing traffic now, reasonable drivers will horn but not rush to crash into you. Em, unless it is under auto-pilot.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hodler View Post
      +1!

Car manufacturers nowadays collect every piece of usage data possible, and make decisions based on what their analytics group can tell from the data. A small example for those who can spare a few minutes. The fact they have started offering the option to turn it off permanently in newer models is telling enough. As someone with a BS in biology, a MS in Math and CS, and a PHD in an interdisciplinary field, frankly I'm disgusted by how an unwanted feature like this was imposed on the customer base and the amount of virtue signalling used in defending it.
      You really need to do further research (since you put all your degrees on a display here) and find the true reasons why the start/stop feature was created and placed in the cars.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
      You are the lucky one, but you cannot deny the numerous reports here, in this forum, that this feature failed to work.
      I don't dismiss the negative posts here but they are not even 1/10th of 1% of all Volvo owners who don't mind it or even appreciate what it does and what it means for the environment.

When you release the brake pedal, and this thing failed to start the engine, left you stranded in the middle of traffic intersection, that's when people get seriously "bothered"
      Again, if that happens, something else is wrong. I wrote above how many cars I drive for several months and how much driving I do...In the past 5.5+ years and after having driven over 30 different Volvos for several thousand miles each, it has never occurred to me. Add a few more colleagues who drive the same or more, you do the math. We have never encountered this issue (again, I am not saying it has never happened to anyone but that is a rarity and no fault of the start/stop feature; something else is going on).
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      was going to be a smart ass and just tell people to unbuckle, but i fear many would miss the satire and actually stop wearing seat belts.

funny but the most promising is a miscalibrated battery or a partially weak battery. theres a range in there that will disable start stop without displaying low battery message. not sure the numbers but say 50% charge displays message and under 75% charge disables start stop. just install weak battery and/or figure out how to confuse battery monitoring system and say goodbye to SS for good. actually had a customer complaining his start stop never works. i kinda chuckled. he does less than 1k a year so battery is never charged enough to activate ss.
      Yeah the temperature thing is kinda difficult and will probably mess up things.

Probably, a resistor that drive current from the SS battery can help to disable the SS. However, the resisror should only work if the ignition is on. A smart electrical engineer should be able to help to find a way hhhh.

I found this device that might work to limit battery maximum voltage. Probably if the SS battery voltage was below 11V, it will not work and probably it will give an error if it was less than 10V. The below device should be able to set the maximum.

https://www.amazon.com/Disconnect-Ch.../dp/B07YTVK1JK

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Nerd23; 06-25-2020 at 02:55 AM.

not a fan of S/S but understand some may like it

I'm one of the people who find S/S intrusive. I don't like waiting for that half second for the car to get off "the line". I really wish I could kill S/S permanently. And dance on its grave. So I'll be following this thread to see if somebody finds a trick to convince the software to never allow it.

But I also understand why some people would like it. If you drive differently than I, you may not even notice it. My wife doesn't notice it. It works smoothly and although it could theoretically fail to start the car at some point, in practice it never really fails. And sure, I guess it could save some gas.

In fact, I'm all for saving gas. But that doesn't stop me from using remote start on a cold day to get into a warm car (or vice versa on the temps). And that's running the engine a lot longer than any day's worth of S/S can gain back. I guess you could claim that the S/S is an offset for being able to remotely start the car in advance of getting in the car but I still think over a whole year of driving, the consumption of remotely starting would be greater than the savings of S/S even if I didn't disable it most of the time.

And there's also the difference in how S/S works for people. Around me, there are few times when I stop the car for more than 15 seconds. Most of the time that S/S kicks in for me, the stop time was less than 3 seconds. There must be some additional fuel burned during the S/S process? I can't imagine that all of that stopping and starting for such little rest can actually be a real benefit. Stop and go traffic, stop signs with multiple cars queued, and short traffic light cycles are the times when S/S is annoying and I turn it off. Every once in a while, I'm at a traffic light that has me waiting for 30 seconds or a minute and if I hadn't already found a need to shut off S/S then I'll happily let S/S do its thing. But I know people who live in other parts of the country with less busy highways and mainly large intersections with lights that take a minute or two to cycle through.

So let's use this thread as a discussion about how to kill it and end the debate about who is right. The upshot is there are people who like S/S and there are people that don't. And there's no point in being critical of the other. Just like debating which color is better. It's all a matter of what works for the individual. Except for Magic Blue because that one is the only right color.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbos View Post
      <snip>
      So let's use this thread as a discussion about how to kill it and end the debate about who is right. The upshot is there are people who like S/S and there are people that don't. And there's no point in being critical of the other. Just like debating which color is better. It's all a matter of what works for the individual. Except for Magic Blue because that one is the only right color.
      Thank you, I'm in the same boat. I hate the feature, my wife doesn't even notice it.

Per your suggestion it's best to ignore those who are unwilling to contribute. Let's push ahead and solve this!

The Goal: A way to disable the 2016-2018 Volvo XC90 Start/Stop
      - Require no user interaction whatsoeve
      - One-time mod
      - Inexpensive (maybe $50 max)
      - Relatively simple to install (ie. if you can do a brake job, you can do this)
      - Unobtrusive
      - Safe (no engine codes, no disruption of Volvo safety systems)
      - Reversible (eg. when taking vehicle for service)

Review the conditions under which the system won't engage:
      (I've highlighted items that show potential for a fix)
      The engine does not auto-stop in the following cases:

The car has not reached approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) after starting.
      After a number of repeated auto stops, speed must again exceed approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) before the next auto stop.
      The driver has unfastened the seatbelt.
      The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level.
      The engine is not at normal operating temperature.
      The ambient temperature is under -5 °C or above approx. 30 °C.
      the windscreen's electric heating is activated.
      The environment in the passenger compartment deviates from the set values.
      the car is reversed.
      The starter battery's temperature is below or above the permitted limit values.
      The driver makes sweeping steering wheel movements.
      The road is very steep.
      The bonnet is opened.
      The gearbox is not at normal operating temperature.
      When driving at high altitudes when the engine has not reached operating temperature.
      The gear selector is in ± position
      The ABS system has been activated.
      In the event of heavy braking (even without the ABS system having been activated).
      Many starts during a short period of time have activated the starter motor's thermal protection.
      Applies to cars with diesel engines: The exhaust system's particulate filter is full.
      A trailer is connected electrically to the car’s electrical system.
      Reference:
      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-stop-function

Possible approaches:
      1. Fake the starter battery voltage
      2. Fake the ambient temperature
      3. Engage the windscreen heater
      4. Fake the starter battery temperature
      5. Disconnect the 'bonnet open' sensor
      6. Fake the trailer connection

I think [6] has already been tried - it's possible but you'll need a trailer harness and you get some funny messages on the dash.

Questions:
      - Can the windshield heater be left on? (I've never even used it) I'm guess it's just a 'soft' menu item somewhere that resets back to a default value
      - What is the expected temperature of the starter battery? How is it measured? IMO this is an area that could show promise
      - Where is the ambient air temperature sensor? This is another item that could be faked (eg. only when brake pedal is pressed)
      - Where is the bonnet sensor? Seems like a no-brainer to try this. Does an open bonnet throw messages onto the screen?
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

There is another possible way, if you can fake being in manual gear whenever speed is about 0 then it will not stop engine. This has no side effect but how to generate such special signal is a challenge. Is it possible to monitor speed with OBDII reader and inject the signal into gear position circuits?

I support an option to disable it for 2016-2018 owner, to be fair to them, as it is doable for new models. It seems to be just software tuning to reduce horsepower and be a little more efficient to reach same EPA number without s/s.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 06-25-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      There is another possible way, if you can fake being in manual gear whenever speed is about 0 then it will not stop engine. This has no side effect but how to generate such special signal is a challenge. Is possible to monitor speed with OBDII reader and inject the signal into gear position circuits?

I support an option to disable it for 2016-2018 owner, to be fair to them, as it is doable for new models. It seems to be just software tuning to reduce horsepower and be a little more efficient to reach same EPA number.

That will be so difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgin View Post
      No one likes it. It hardly helps the environment especially in my case as I far away from a large city. The automakers dropped it as they are in touch with the consumer. Had I realized what I was getting into before I bought the car, I would have gone another direction. In short, it is annoying. The same reason cars are not entirely banned is the same reason I want to car to keep running.

Making a left turn, with traffic speeding towards you, is much riskier than it needs to be. The odds that your car will not start or stall or lurch is much higher than if the car was running. It may not have happened to you yet, nonetheless, you're adding risk.
      The left turn across traffic problem does not need to entail any increased risk if you understand how the systems work. There are a few things you can do to mitigate this problem. I live in Long Island where there is often heavy traffic and draw bridges. I like the SS in these situations. Making a left across multiple lanes is a common occurrence for me. The SS feature does not get in my way at all. While waiting for the chance to dash across traffic, I can either, 1) move the shift lever to the left which instantly restarts the engine prior to the turn. 2) Slightly lift my foot off the brake (which instantly restarts the engine and keeps it running) then reapply the brake (the car does not move at all while doing this as it only requires a slight lift of the brake pedal). or 3) If I'm feeling sporty that day, the car is in dynamic mode, where the SS is always disabled. I believe there was a software update last year that allows you to keep the car in dynamic mode when it restarts so you don't have to reselect it each time.

As one who had used stop start most of the time for just over 50,000 miles and then experienced a fusible link failure (which left me stranded for almost 2 hours) I now turn it off 100% of the time with no guilt. The additional duty cycle on the starting components just isn't worth it on a car I genuinely like and want to drive for many more years. During the time I was using it regularly, I was intrigued by the concept and did a lot of evaluating the impact on fuel economy. (I have actually been recording fuel economy for every vehicle I owned since 1968). I have concluded that for my situation it is not worth it!

When I first got the car I mused over the thought that SS could be improved by using the camera which is reading speed limit signs to limit SS to stops at traffic lights (which involve much longer stops than stop signs) but having seen the speed limit sign on the IP inaccuately register as high as 110 mph I realized that this is another well intentioned system which is half baked!

48V gentle hybrid is implemented soon in all models. It will help mitigate the feeling of S/S to more subtle or even unnoticeable.
      I actually think the 48V system is too weak. It should have a larger battery and enough EV power to move the car from stop.

However it is really the owner of MY2016-2018 that are affected. Like other feature requests we desire such as easy access to 360 degree camera view, Volvo probably won't do anything about it.

Haven't you all seen the box from Russia that plugs into your testing port? I have one coming for my MY17 XC60. It will allow me to close my hatch from the remote or the inside button, it remembers the last setting auto stop/start so you can set the feature to off and it will unlock your doors when you shut off the car so you don't have to pull the handle twice.

Email address is [email protected]

Oh, and I had the outside air temperature sensor replaced today because the temp showing on my dash was over 10 degrees F too hot. The 2015 loaner they gave me wasn't much better.

Do they all read hot??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEid View Post
      Haven't you all seen the box from Russia that plugs into your testing port? I have one coming for my MY17 XC60. It will allow me to close my hatch from the remote or the inside button, it remembers the last setting auto stop/start so you can set the feature to off and it will unlock your doors when you shut off the car so you don't have to pull the handle twice.

Can it do something more useful, like bring up 360 degree view when speed is very slow?

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Can it do something more useful, like bring up 360 degree view when speed is very slow?

Ha, no. Just what I listed. I asked him if he was even thinking about adding a feature that would allow us to use the remote start without the app. I'd like that more than anything else! His answer was no.

SPA cars now are very different from 2017 XC60, especially in software and firmware. I believe it is much harder to tap into the CANBUS now.

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEid View Post

Have not seen it.

Can you post a web link or other info?
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      VDash is super great. Similar to the VagCom tool used by VW group.

Finally we can change some factory settings on Volvo SPA cars... The owner of the software just started uploading videos for Volvo SPA cars last month (May 2020).

Check his YouTube channel below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/volvodash

Tools needed to run the software:
      1- Computer (Windows operating system)

2- Volvo Dice based on J2534 chip

3- Vdash free software

4- Internet connection to do the programming and to buy the tweaks/mods

For the Start/Stop it's not confirmed yet if it's possible to deactivate it for SPA platform using VDash. We have to find out from the software owner...

Last edited by Nerd23; 07-05-2020 at 08:54 AM.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2