Why did you buy your volvo?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It no longer has a safety edge over many other cars, which have caught up.

It's not the best handling car, that title belongs to the German cars.

It's not the fastest of cars.

I bought it for its what I call elegant quirkiness and uniqueness. Its good looking, comfortable quiet and understated. And there are not nearly as many of them on the road, at least in the us, as bmws, audis and Japanese cars.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think for the same reason I would hope most people buy cars.. Because that's what you like lol. I agree it's nice and different.. I think some of the other more technical reasons belong to individual models. I think comparatively to some manufacturers, like BMW for example, your going to pay alot more even for a leather option then Volvo for example. But it's all preference

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      CURRENT: 2019 Crystal White Pearl S60 T5 R-DESIGN w/ P*

PAST: 2012 Black S60 T5 w/Blonde Interior

I agree with a lot of what you said for why I bought my V60CC. Subaru Outbacks are everywhere in the Northwest. I was very close to getting one under COVID Shutdown . Couldn’t test drive, but made a deal 3k under invoice for Touring XT. It checked all the boxes for what I like and need (cargo, comfort, peppy engine, mpg, cost, cost of ownership, AWD, ground clearance, Racks,...) Just an outdoor sport oriented -practical wagon that’s gonna get dirty and beat up some. But, I fell in virtual love with the looks of the V60 watching tons of reviews.. Plus, found a good deal at 6k under invoice (w/ Costco, loyalty, dealer incentive mark downs). Still about 9k difference over the Suby though. Mid life crisis thing and decided to take the chance. Having Volvo wagons in the past and loved them. Had one Outback and just like it’s practicality. I’ve only seen one other V60 CC on the road, and tons of new Outbacks. Makes me feel a little unique like you mentioned. Hope she’s reliable and love it for a long time.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

And, reviews comparing Audi Allroad and V60CC say they’re nearly identical in every aspect except Volvo has a bit higher ground clearance, along with my favorite style of appearance.

I liked the cars, felt they were good values and trust the dealer for service. Both the V90 and S60 were prior model year cars and heavily discounted, the latter to the extent that it was virtually the same price out the door as the replacement 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid that my insurance company found for me after I totaled a new Fusion when I hit a deer. Both cars are extremely comfortable and not that common place, which is kind of nice.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18Ē R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Beautiful exterior and interior styling, low roof for gear, and 8Ē of ground clearance ... all wrapped up in a near luxury package. Itís a unique vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 97redz3; 06-19-2020 at 07:36 AM.
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

Junior Member Volvo_polestar_edition's Avatar
      Safety, design, quality. My sixth Volvo, have owned a V70 D3, V40 D2, V90 D5, V40 Polestar edition and a V60 Polestar engineered (previous gen). I have been fortunate enough to never have any issues with either car.

The new V60 has the modern and luxury feel of the V90 but with a sporty exterior. Love it
      Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/volvo_polestar_edition/
      Current V60 T6 AWD Inscription owner
      Former: V60 Polestar Owner 921/1500
      Former: V40 Polestar owner
      Former Volvo V90 D5 AWD R-design owner

Design styles, high tech and of course the safety. XC90 won a lot of rewards in 2016 the first year out.

Even other cars could be similar in all these aspects, the big screen is the key thing for me.

And XC90 T8 is still the only PHEV with 3rd row.

Volvo is still keen on the safety front, and autonomous driving. L4 on freeway will be ready in two years.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 06-19-2020 at 08:17 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

So, I'm looking at the XC40 and thinking there is not another vehicle for $40K that does what the T5 can do. Looked at the Mazda CX30, hoping to save ten grand; but it's just not the same caliber of vehicle, IMO. The 2021 Sube CrossTrek with the more powerful engine MIGHT have a chance; but I don't think it's near the vehicle a Volvo is. Maybe I'm spoiled after 10 Volvos and I was disappointed in the Acura RDX we had for 3 years.
      There will be NO serious off-roading in our XC40...maybe I would think differently if we were headed off-road.
      I'm having a little trouble spending almost twice as much for the XC as we spent on the FIAT 500L; but the differences in the vehicles are significant. IF I could coax 50 more hp out of the FIAT, it's the perfect size and is very well equipped...but the FIAT market doesn't bode well for having any sort of value left after 4 years.

Ramble, ramble....you can tell I'm still undecided on this move!!!
      Current: 2020 XC40 T5 Ice Silver '13 C70 Caspian Blue
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

I was a victim of thought programming that the two most important factors were fuel economy and reliability so I only bought Japanese cars. In 2008 I won a new Ford Escape Hybrid. Woefully underpowered, tremendous road noise and painful seats. Great gas mileage.

In 2010 a friend was in a very serious T-bone accident on the passenger side of a rental RAV4 (she also owned an older RAV4). She said she wanted something safer and asked me to look at an XC90 with her. When in the dealership I fell in love with the just launched XC60. I traded in my free Ford Escape for an base model XC60 T6 and l learned to love a road trip all over again.

Now I own a fully loaded XC60 T8. Itís the car I always wanted. Not the car someone passed down to me, or I won, or what was available on the lots at the time. Mine. The exact idea of a perfect car for me.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by iceman2222 View Post

It's not the best handling car, that title belongs to the German cars.

It's not the fastest of cars.

I bought it for its what I call elegant quirkiness and uniqueness. Its good looking, comfortable quiet and understated. And there are not nearly as many of them on the road, at least in the us, as bmws, audis and Japanese cars.
      I disagree about safety. The Luxury car segment may have caught up to some degree, but I wouldn't trade my Volvo for Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc. These cars are clearly not on the same level as a Volvo.

My prior Volvo was hit at 65+ MPH (T-Boned) and withstood the impact from an SUV. Volvo has cared about safety long before other manufacturers gave the issue a second thought. I trust Volvo to remain a trend setter.

Having come out of a CX-5 Grand Touring (2017) that I needed to get into quickly after some bonehead made a left in front of me and totaled my Q3 (2015), I can say that today's Mazdas are really nice cars...but not Volvos in terms of refinement, fit and finish or driving dynamics. The CX-5 was competent, and I have no doubt that the CX-30 would be even better, but it never felt as all-around well-made or thought-out.

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      So, I'm looking at the XC40 and thinking there is not another vehicle for $40K that does what the T5 can do. Looked at the Mazda CX30, hoping to save ten grand; but it's just not the same caliber of vehicle, IMO.
      Also, a big selling factor for me with the V60 CC vs the XC40, even (and especially vs the Mazda) was the uniqueness factor. I'm going to see precious few other cars like mine on the road and I love that.
      Current: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country - Pebble Grey, Blond
      Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Vibrant Copper, Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I disagree about safety. The Luxury car segment may have caught up to some degree, but I wouldn't trade my Volvo for Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc. These cars are clearly not on the same level as a Volvo.

My prior Volvo was hit at 65+ MPH (T-Boned) and withstood the impact from an SUV. Volvo has cared about safety long before other manufacturers gave the issue a second thought. I trust Volvo to remain a trend setter.
      I'm not questioning Volvo's dedication to safety or question how safe their cars, just saying that the rest of the world has just about caught up to it. Many cars now are acing the IIHS tests with top safety pick plus ratings. I'm not aware that Volvos provide any more safety in an actual collision than these other cars. But Volvo does have some extras, like the collision avoidance system which may help slow you down when an avoidable head on collision is about to happen, or which rapidly stops your hitting something in front of you if you do not react quickly enough for the car.

I'm not questioning Volvo's dedication to safety or question how safe their cars, just saying that the rest of the world has just about caught up to it. Many cars now are acing the IIHS tests with top safety pick plus ratings. I'm not aware that Volvos provide any more safety in an actual collision than these other cars. But Volvo does have some extras, like the collision avoidance system which may help slow you down when an avoidable head on collision is about to happen, or which rapidly stops your hitting something in front of you if you do not react quickly enough for the car.
      Volvo does more crash tests, just to name some videos on XC90 you can find:
      - Side rollover
      - Roll off-road to ditch
      - Rear ended

No other cars did these. And IIHS test score is just one thing.
      Look at any Toyota's crashed from back or side, you will know what I mean.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Yeah, no...
      Haven't read past that. Because that's a pretty ignorant statement if you only go by the "safety" ratings...
      Also, this is definitely gonna be a "fun" thread...
      Peace out!
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I would say that a lot of cars have gotten safer over the years. That's good. OTOH, Volvo has been testing things that aren't part of the safety rating tests for a long time. Past example, Volvo was testing small overlap collisions well before they became part of the tests. When they were finally introduced in the tests lots of other cars failed until they caught up. Then they introduced the same test for passengers and a lot of cars had been designing toward the test rather than safety so they failed that one.

We bought the V70 because of a commute over a dangerous section of road and the general feeling at the time that it was one of the safest cars we could get.

We're buying the XC60 for a number of reasons. It's a PHEV (the only other one that I remember being available in the class when we ordered the car was the GLC and that wasn't the 2020 version.) The active safety features will be a major step up for us. The seats are very comfortable. It still has an excellent reputation for safety - I appreciate Volvo's willingness to cut the top speeds of their cars and actually set a target of no deaths/serious injuries, regardless of whether or not they make it. Subjectively it's much better looking than the competition. It's interesting to look at and the interior has a flair that none of the German cars have (subjectively again.)
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

My simple reason is that Subaru no longer offer a proper wagon in US. I've written to their management and they said it is not worth their time to bring it here although it is built in Indiana, and is available in Canada.
      BMW stopped selling their 330 wagon and the Audi avant wagon was announced after my Volvo purchase

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

I'm with visualv; I like non-lifted wagons. The lower and more powerful the better. I cross-shopped the Merc E450 but didn't love it. Took a 19 T6 S60 for a test drive and gambled that the T8 V60 would be even better. I think it is 🙂 I've also been very happy with the wife's 17 XC90 despite it being a tall boat, so will probably stick with volvos for some time.

re: Mazda, I've owned a bunch over the years and everything in the past 5yrs or so is top notch. I think you get more bang for your buck than with a Volvo, but agree with previous posts that the fit and finish isn't quite the same level. I will say though that the infotainment on my 15 mazda3 is better than pretty much anything I've used since, sensus included.
      2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered

I would agree that the wheel-based system is way easier to use while driving, for me, than a touch-based system. Coming off MMI and into the Mazda, this was an appreciated similarity!

Quote Originally Posted by superscuba View Post
      I will say though that the infotainment on my 15 mazda3 is better than pretty much anything I've used since, sensus included.
      Current: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country - Pebble Grey, Blond
      Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Vibrant Copper, Beechwood

I agree with every point. Other manufacturers are incorporating safety into their designs, and therefore acing the IIHS tests. What I do know is that Volvo has worked on the issues of safety long before these other manufacturers joined the game So I think Volvo remains cutting edge. Sure, I drive a 15.5 and my car is now "outdated", but it's still safe. How many vehicles can you say that about down the road?

Ultimately, it all breaks down to personal preference.

There are many safety aspects Volvo includes that simply aren't part of crash tests. Remember, Volvo doesn't try to pass tests, they try to make the safest cars possible that happen to pass tests. The few segments where other makes edge out generally are only on fairly high options. Laser lights are cool, we don't have them yet, but our standard lights tend to be better than the standard lights of those other cars. Same with the auto braking.. standard on Volvo. BMW for one makes you get one package for the camera based system and then another for the radar system for some models....

I find the Volvo to be very thoughtful. Everything has a purpose and reason. I like the Scandinavian philosophy of "the right amount is best". I like that it's a bit different yet really not quirky. I think they look gorgeous... The grill design is my favorite in the segment by far, especially as BMW has gotten a big wide mouthed. I think the brand is helped being, much like the Lexus, as a very nice car without being either presumptuous link Benz or fake luxury (aka Infinity). It's a very sporty and yet comfortable drive for all legal situations. I also like that generally you don't have to pick a specific car to get specific features. Volvo generally lets you pick the car you like and the options you like. A few exceptions, but for most features, they go across the board.

And as a salesman, I really like the customers. The people considering Volvo's tend to be intelligent and friendly. I've jokingly called it a "luxury brand for people who like using turn signals".
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

I bought my XC70 for the way it looks, the solid stable feel at high speeds, quiet cabin, flat folding rear seats, and the T6 engine. I prefer a wagon over a taller SUV for the lower center of gravity, so not a lot of cars to choose from. I borrowed my sister's Outback 6-speed manual and I hated it! I was constantly shifting gears and revving that little squirrel engine up just trying to maintain freeway speeds, and Outbacks are just so ugly. I really dislike the design trend of rear side windows that don't match the roof line of the car, and the XC70 window profile is so classy looking all the way to the back of the car. When I read that the T6 puts out 325 hp with the Polestar upgrade I started shopping on CarGurus and found a good one not too far away. I also feel like a 5-6 year old car with fairly low miles really hits the sweet spot for value, it's still a great car with plenty of service life remaining but the prices have depreciated a lot.

There are quite a few little design quirks that I really hate though. Maybe in Sweden pulling the door release twice to open the door seems like a good idea, just to be sure that you really want to get out of the car, ya? Or the giant homogeneous cluster of buttons for climate control, media, nav, etc., or the lack of a dedicated cruise control stalk on the steering column. Uff Da!

Junior Member Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks's Avatar
      Not an SPA owner, but I think the reasons I bought a P3 are relevant, and will very likely eventually put me in an SPA or SPA2:

- Safety...itís been covered above, other makes are not unsafe, but no brand has been built almost entirely on safety. Use the search function and check out the pics of ProlixAragonís P2 S80 wreck and tell me anyone walks away from a Toyota that looks like that.
      - Luxury without pretension...I donít think Iíd own a BMW if it was given to me. Iíve driven them, and they are very nice cars, but I canít tell you how many have nearly run me down as a pedestrian, and we are the company we keep.
      - Familiarity...My parents have had thirteen used Volvoís, two new, and one just for parts. After they started driving them, my grandparents had four including my momís first. When we decided we wanted an awd sedan, both the S80 and S60 were at the top of my list.
      2015.5 Volvo S80 T6 Platinum AWD - Savile Gray Metallic / Off Black In Anthracite - 117,XXX

Titania Diamond Cut and Black Stone - Vredestein Quadrac 5 235/45/18

ISO - One used Fortuna, round, preferably Light Gray

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I've jokingly called it a "luxury brand for people who like using turn signals".
      LOL! I get visibly agitated when I see a Volvo on the road NOT using a turn signal! My wife and I have come to an agreement that those are not Volvo people and just stumbled onto the brand accidentally.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

For me best overall wagon on the market.
      2020 V60 CC

I like wagons because I find them to be a good balance between carrying capacity and better handling than a crossover or SUV. Unfortunately most of America does not have the same tastes so it is hard to find a wagon here. I also wanted at least a PHEV if not a full BEV, and I am guessing the V60 T8 is the only one that is going to be available in the US in the next five years at least.

2019 S60 T5 Momentum here. Purchase Reasons: design, quality, and more unique compared to A4, 3-series, C-class. Also, I was able to great deal, which made me gamble on a brand I have never owned before.

6 months after purchase: I've ended up liking this car more than I imagined. I worked for 2 car companies in a row as a corporate manager, so I've always had company cars as daily drivers. My S60 is the first daily driver I've actually shopped for as a consumer in years, and I'm very impressed. For years, my daily drivers were always parked outside on the street, and washed at a car wash. All were great cars, but not "special". The S60 also started there like my other daily drivers, but it now gets to share the garage with my M4, and air cooled 911. The S60 is also treated to same home hand wash, foam gun, etc, just likes my other "toys" :-)

The Volvo also has more charm in my opinion. I think the other premium companies lost some of the charm, in search of volume. They chase each others specs, and consumer survey's, so basically they all make different versions of the same exact car (this is why some car segments are now more like a commodity, where people buy solely on lease payment, not product or brand). Since Volvo isn't trying to sell 300k cars a year in America, at their volume, they could still make a unique product, and find enough consumers to buy them. They should not try to compete head on with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

I really hope Geely continues to leave Volvo alone, and doesn't interfere, or sacrifice the Volvo brand, or sales channel, to boost Geely cars. https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/16...-on-the-rocks/
      Last edited by AJS1KR; 06-19-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Given a specific design budget, any car manufacturer has the option to bias a higher percentage to a specific area that represents the brand's vision.

Volvo Cars' mission:

"At Volvo Cars, everything we do starts with people. So our mission to make people's lives easier, safer and better is something that comes naturally to us. It's the Volvo way."

And it shows in their products, services, and crash scene research (they'll occasionally send vehicles back to Sweden for research). Modern vehicle design mostly involves vendor/supplier partnerships, integration engineering, logistics engineering, and as of the past decade, software engineering. All major vehicle manufacturer now have their own software engineering divisions.

I also own a Model 3, however if I was purchasing a vehicle for someone that I loved, it would only be a new Volvo.

I wanted a wagon. Not a lifted wagon with plastic junk all over it. It basically came down to Volvo, Jaguar, or Mercedes. Jaguar would have been the most rare but not as safe as Volvo or reliable as the Mercedes. Mercedes was nice but didn't have the safety options that Volvo had. Volvo had the safety, a good look, still pretty rare, plus OSD.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

We bought the first (17 XC90 T6 Inscription) through the OSD because there is no better way to buy a car. And the seats are more comfortable than any other car we checked out. Safety is obviously an easy feature to fall back on too. I think they are some of the most beautiful cars on the road too.

We bought the second XC90 for the same reasons, minus the OSD

The seats and the B&W system were the clinchers......but mainly the seats. We drive long distances and theyíre the best in the biz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Tough to add much as most of you have echoed what I like about the brand. I was a long time Saaber and when GM took control it slowly became clear that, although the Saab engineers would basically ignore the GM force to use GM parts, eventually the brand fell apart. Iíve owned a few Volvoís over the years, my second car was a Ď69 164, a V70 and now 2 V-60 CC. Geely has kept their hands off so far and to both parties credit Volvo has rebounded from the Ford stewardship fiasco. Tough to think the Chinese will keep their hands off over time but we can only wait and see. As of today, these are some of the best engineered cars out there and I have enjoyed my recent Volvos more than anything else Iíve owned in a long time(still have a fondness for my Saab 900 vert). Good thread.
      JTMav

I was shopping around for CPO E-classes, and then out of the blue thought maybe I should test drive a used S90, just because I remembered how much I liked it when they released it in 2016. Once I got behind the wheel, it just felt like it was the right place to be. Looked around for a CPO S90 Inscription, but they all seemed like they were beat to crap, so I ordered a new S60.

I've always had Saabs (still have two), but got the Acura several years back as I acquired a commute of ~70mi each day and I want to keep the Saabs for a while. The Acura was reliable but it really didn't have much passion to it, and I missed not having a turbo.
      Current: 2020 S60 T5 Inscription, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 1986 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
      Past: 2013 Acura TSX, 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

For me it probably comes down to many of the same reasons: design, safety, and familiarity.

Iím not sure if itís because they arenít everywhere, but almost all Volvos have had timeless, understated designs that stand out against the design fad of any given era. Between my parents and I, we had 3 P2-era S60s from 2001 through 2016, and I never tired of the design (as long as it was well maintained). Same with the 2007 XC90 I still own today. I upgraded the infotainment to a touch screen CarPlay unit a couple years ago, and people that ride in it are stunned that itís a 13 year old car. Sure Iíd like some of the new driver aid functions available today, but for now it continues to serve its purpose gracefully and that V8 engine will be hard to say goodbye to The P3 and SPA designs are also home runs, although I do think the facelift for the P3 XC60 and S60 helped a bit.

Safety wise I still go back to the frontal offset crash test of the 2013 XC90, itself a 10-year-old design at the time, and it aced it with flying colors against much newer models.

When I graduated from college I picked up a Mazda3 as my first car I truly owned. It was great for what it was, but when the time came to replace my (then girlfriend now wifeís) car, we shopped around several brands for a midsize, but when we found a used S60 it just felt right again. No real expectations to deviate again from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premier Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

I love the exterior and interior styling. Those Thor’s hammer daytime running lights are my favorite design on the market. I was willing to give up some driving dynamics (that I would have received with the BMW or Audi) to get that understated elegant design. The S60 really has some unique touches too, like the Swedish flag on the seats, parking ticket clip on the windshield, rear B-pillar AC vents, ability to drop the rear headsets for visibility, and unique start/stop knob.
      2020 S60 T5 Inscription
      2017 XC90 T6 Momentum

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast