Why did you buy your volvo? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Well I can see this thread is popular. I won't re-hash anything but maybe add a new perspective since I am a first time Volvo owner. I'm in my 40's been around long enough and had many cars, made some great purchases and not so great. I'm getting philosophical as I age, I think back to my happiest motoring purchases and realized the emotional connection is the most important factor. But car buying is a complex process and I think enthusiasts get ruined sometimes by:

- Brand reputation: What is a BMW, Audi, Subaru or Volvo and who drives them. What does it say about you if you drive X (subconscious thought usually)
      - Industry journalism: Comparison tests and splitting hairs over small differences, being colored by the preferences of others, and groupthink

And everyone has extra complexity of timing and price. Rarely are we holding a chunk of cash and paying MSRP which how car journos look at products, real world pricing is a moving target.

I was constricted by what was leasing well in May '19.

And I ended up in the S60 T6 RD (with sport chassis ;-)) cuz it just makes me feel good, and that is what matters to me.

Objectively I like the fantastic seats, base level of "luxury" that meets my desires, right size, not an SUV, conservative styling with good looks, and great driving dynamics.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I owned Infiniti and BMW sedans, before switching to Volvo back in 2013. After my wife drove my car, she switched from Audi and Lexus SUV's to Volvo as well.
      We just love the simplicity and elegance of Swedish design - even pre-SPA versions. Comfort of the interior and ride quality are very important to us. Volvo T6/T8 performance is more than sufficient for our needs and driving style. SPA 60-series we own are not perfect my any means (real-life fuel economy could be better, climate controls are not ideal, sound-proofing is insufficient, few attractive color choices), but positives easily outweigh negatives.

I just went through another lengthy research and evaluation process, and almost convinced myself to go with BMW 5-series for my next sedan. Took 540i for an extended test drive twice. It's a really nice car, but I just could not justify the price premium - S60 T6 RD is pretty comparable in performance, but costs $15K less, looks better and is more comfortable IMHO. Excluded all other competitors pretty quickly - Japanese brands are not appealing to me from interior design standpoint. Audi is not as comfortable and ride is worse. MB is overpriced and interior is blah and too pretentious overall.
      2020 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Bursting Blue / Black
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

I bought my XC60 T5 instead of another Audi Q5 for a change. A new Q5 was a close choice. Didnít want an X5 nor an X3, MBs that I liked a bit too expensive. Briefly considered a Macan but no local dealer and too expensive.

Would have considered a Subaru except they now have settled on CVT transmissions so they are out forever.

I would have been happy with a Golf R but my wifeís walker wouldnít fit in the back. A Golf R wagon would have been bought in a flash if it was imported to Canada.

So after having had the Volvo for a bit over a year it has been totally reliable as it should but I think at the end of the warranty I will buy something different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Awaiting Approval
      I agree with a lot of what you said for why I bought my V60CC. Subaru Outbacks are everywhere in the Northwest. I was very close to getting one under COVID Shutdown . Couldnít test drive, but made a deal 3k under invoice for Touring XT. It checked all the boxes for what I like and need (cargo, comfort, peppy engine, mpg, cost, cost of ownership, AWD, ground clearance, Racks,...) Just an outdoor sport oriented -practical wagon thatís gonna get dirty and beat up some. But, I fell in virtual love with the looks of the V60 watching tons of reviews.. Plus, found a good deal at 6k under invoice (w/ Costco, loyalty, dealer incentive mark downs). Still about 9k difference over the Suby though. Mid life crisis thing and decided to take the chance. Having Volvo wagons in the past and loved them. Had one Outback and just like itís practicality. Iíve only seen one other V60 CC on the road, and tons of new Outbacks. Makes me feel a little unique like you mentioned. Hope sheís reliable and love it for a long time.

I have put 260,000km (160k+ miles) on a 2008 SAAB 9-3 Sportcombi diesel owned from new and come to the end of the original four-year lease on a Merc B180 which I re-financed as itís been fantastic.

So, it was the time where every four years or so I get a chance to try something new and, after toying with all sorts of options, ended up back where I started, a Swedish mid-size wagon.

I realised all I really wanted was a new Sportcombi again, with the same light-coloured trim the old one has but with petrol power and maybe AWD. I had originally dreamed of replacing it in 2012 with a SAAB 9-5 Sportcombi 2.0T XWD. Having driven the SAAB Turbo-X on both high-speed (150mph) banked-oval and handling test-tracks, I really appreciated the Haldex system. Seeing the NG9-5 Sedan with a light-coloured interior and massive panoramic roof before it was released really sold it to me. Alas, that was not to be.

Having had two Mercs over the last 8 years I had been zeroing in on a Merc C300 wagon but missed out on the few demos with the options I wanted at a price I could afford. With COVID, the stocks quickly depleted, and Merc has been charging stupid prices due to limited supply versus overheating pent-up demand. Also, despite buying two Mercs from one dealer, they recently treated us pretty crappily at an invitation event where we booked a drive and turned up to find they never bothered to bring over the C300 wagon we agreed we would test (which weeks later, they tried to sell to me today: too late). We eventually drove a brand new GLC200 just because we were there and were quite disappointed at certain aspects of the feel and finish which didnít match the hype that Merc and the media would have you believe; hollow, plasticky feeling wooden fascia, plasti-metal touch points which look OK but are more about show. My wife was happier with the solidity of the 2015 B180 than she was with the new GLC. Incidentally, virtually all Mercs here are black on black interiors, including the one we own, and the couple of rare C-classes I had seen with a lighter interior had dark brown steering wheels and other trim which doesnít work for me. Also, the most recent Merc designs from A to GLC have jumped the shark.

I have been close to getting a Volvo a couple of times including the V50 which I turned down in favour of a 2006 SAAB 9-3 Combi (roomier), and often looked at the original XC90 and various V70s though was not a fan of the styling of the first-gen XC60 or V60. Seeing the new V90 (CC only here in Australia) almost exactly two-years ago was a revelation and I was so impressed I took a photo while stopped in traffic.

Driving past a local Volvo dealer late last year I saw a wagon in the window so stopped to have a proper look. I had never seen the new V60 before and have still only ever seen one in the wild. I realised that this might be the solution. Externally itís just a really lovely, but strong, resolved design without fake venting and over-the-top bling that are all over Mercs, and others, these days. Though it had a dark interior below the belt, the (even more) massive panoramic roof and blond headlining gave a beautifully airy and open feel. A V90CC and S60 in the showroom had the blond (light) seats which gave me the clarity that a V60 like that would be perfect. Coupled with the fact that V60s here are T5 AWD (aside from the T8), giving me the well boosted 2.0 4-cyl and Haldex system. The interior is nicely solid and clearly designed to last while being beautifully executed.

After looking online at V60s across Australia online for months I despaired that one could be found with the beautiful blond trim, all having some version of charcoal seats. I even emailed a dealer asking about availability of blond seats but never got an answer. As the lease on the Merc came to an end, I finally saw the first V60 with blond seats online and it gave some hope.

Finally got the lease company to put out some price requests and, along with the response with the lowest price was attached the dealer-only spec sheet which clearly showed the interior I wanted as an option. A bit of calling around and found a brand-new V60 with the perfect colour combination for me, Denim Blue with blond headlining, doors and seats and charcoal carpets at an even better price than the demo C300s Iíd missed out on. As a bonus it has a central, console-mounted ignition, a little bit of SAAB living on.

Picking it up in two days, on-a-roll Volvo!
      Last edited by madder; 06-23-2020 at 01:00 AM.
      2020 V60 T5 AWD Inscription- Denim Blue, Blond
      2015 B180 AMG Line - White, Black

Quote Originally Posted by V60CCR40 View Post
      I agree with a lot of what you said for why I bought my V60CC. Subaru Outbacks are everywhere in the Northwest. I was very close to getting one under COVID Shutdown . Couldnít test drive, but made a deal 3k under invoice for Touring XT. It checked all the boxes for what I like and need (cargo, comfort, peppy engine, mpg, cost, cost of ownership, AWD, ground clearance, Racks,...) Just an outdoor sport oriented -practical wagon thatís gonna get dirty and beat up some. But, I fell in virtual love with the looks of the V60 watching tons of reviews.. Plus, found a good deal at 6k under invoice (w/ Costco, loyalty, dealer incentive mark downs). Still about 9k difference over the Suby though. Mid life crisis thing and decided to take the chance. Having Volvo wagons in the past and loved them. Had one Outback and just like itís practicality. Iíve only seen one other V60 CC on the road, and tons of new Outbacks. Makes me feel a little unique like you mentioned. Hope sheís reliable and love it for a long time.
      Subaru CVTs are dreck. Mine died at 40K at the end of the lease. Returned it and went straight to Volvo. Got much more car and more miles for about $40 more per month. Wound up buying it off that lease and leased one for myself (replacing my BMW).

Congrats on the happy ending to your search! You'll love that Blond interior.

Quote Originally Posted by madder View Post
      Finally got the lease company to put out some price requests and, along with the response with the lowest price was attached the dealer-only spec sheet which clearly showed the interior I wanted as an option. A bit of calling around and found a brand-new V60 with the perfect colour combination for me, Denim Blue with blond headlining, doors and seats and charcoal carpets at an even better price than the demo C300s Iíd missed out on. As a bonus it has a central, console-mounted ignition, a little bit of SAAB living on.

Picking it up in two days, on-a-roll Volvo!
      Current: 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country - Pebble Grey, Blond
      Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Vibrant Copper, Beechwood

Bought a 2015.5 Volvo T6 R-Design V60. We wanted an actual wagon, with a roof that can be reached without needing a ladder to put bikes on top and be AWD. The only other cars at the time were the BMW 3 series that fit the bill. The Toyota Venza and Honda Crosstour (Camry wagon and Accord wagon, really) were too tall. The same issue for the Outback.

In the end, paying almost $50k for a BMW with a 4-cylinder turbo seemed stupid. So, pay $50k with a 6-cylinder that seemed a bit bigger was the obvious choice.

The Volvo is the most comfortable long-haul car I've owned. I've done 10+ hour drives to Idaho and get out of the car and NOTHING hurts. I also can just sit in the seat and never squirm or adjust the seatback forward/back while just motoring down the road. It's a very comfortable place to be.

The tech in mine isn't great...would love to have Carplay, but that's about it. The ride is decent, it is pretty quiet, and I think it handles pretty great. I can get it slide around a bit, but it has all-season tires on it. I bet it would be awesome with some summer rubber on it. But, I'm not going to swap tires each year.

Because it’s boxy but good. 😉. Actually, my Ford Edge was crushed I’m when I was rear ended by a delivery truck and pushed into the car in front of me. For about $2 more than a used, but newer, Edge with about 30k miles, I got a nice Certified XC60 Inscription T6. There are some things I like better about the Edge, but the warranty was just about over. I also hope the Volvo will last longer. Our Fords always seem to go really south at 100k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman2222 View Post
      It no longer has a safety edge over many other cars, which have caught up.

It's not the best handling car, that title belongs to the German cars.

It's not the fastest of cars.

I bought it for its what I call elegant quirkiness and uniqueness. Its good looking, comfortable quiet and understated. And there are not nearly as many of them on the road, at least in the us, as bmws, audis and Japanese cars.
      We have owned seven Volvos now: last gen XC90, last gen XC60, S40, S80, and new generation XC40, XC60, and XC60 and we still own the last 3 (2019 XC40 R-Design, and two 2018 XC60 Inscriptions). Each time I go looking for a new car, I always look at other brands and test drive them. This last time I tested several models of the Acura RDX, Audi Q5, BMW X5 and one other BMW, a couple of Lincoln SUVs, and even an Infiniti. I keep coming back to Volvo. We put 280,000 miles on our original XC90 with very little issues. We got rid of it because we wanted something new, not because there was anything wrong with it. The other Volvos have been relatively trouble free as well with no major issues other than maintenance. I did have to have something fixed in the AWD in one of our Volvos, but that was under warranty. I like the design of Volvos, both the exterior and interior. I like the minimalist interior and the touch screens instead of all the buttons and dials in other cars. Although I like the BWM exteriors on most of their cars, I really dislike the interior design. The dashboards have this really horizontal design that just looks old to me. Audi interiors are nice, but I'm not really in love with the Q5 exterior. It's OK, but not my favorite.

Seats: They are important to me. None of those cars has seats that are as comfortable as Volvo. BMW and Audi seats are better than they used to be, but still like sitting on rock compared to the Volvo. The RDX seats were pretty good, but again not as good as Volvo.

Maintenance: BMW maintenance costs are ridiculously high compared to Volvo. I don't know about Audi, but I suspect the same there. Acura maintenance costs are reasonable. I wouldn't buy any Infiniti now as I think their quality has suffered greatly in recent years.

Safety: I completely disagree that Volvo no longer has a safety edge. Yes, other brands have improved. None of them are as good as Volvo IMO. The IIHS and Euro NCAP tests don't tell the whole story. Volvo goes way beyond what is required for the tests in many instances. I'll give you an example. When the safety organizations started doing frontal offset crash tests, for several years they only tested the driver side and not the passenger side (now they test both). Many car companies reinforced only the driver side to pass these tests (Toyota is a glaring example). Volvo of course, already passed the test without additional design changes for both sides. When they started testing the passenger side, intrusion into the cabin from the A-pillar was 16 inches for a Toyota RAV-4 (but the driver's side was only something like 3 inches). Volvo was about 2 inches for both sides. You can trust your life to a company like Toyota (but there are others) that cares to only design to pass the tests instead of caring about real-world safety like Volvo does, but I won't.

Accidents: My wife's previous XC60: It was rear-ended at a stop light by a teenager who wasn't paying attention. Result: Teenager's car was CRUSHED all the way up to the firewall. Completely totalled. I'm surprised she survived. Volvo: minor damage to the rear end, tail pipe bent and some minor bumper damage that cost about $2K to repair and repaint. The police officer who saw the accident came over and looked at the two cars and says "Wow, I guess it's good to drive a Volvo!" XC40: My son was stopped on on a 6-lane highway where traffic was stopped. College student who was texting hit him from behind at 60MPH (he never even touched the brake). My son's Volvo was totalled, but, he was fine and the body shop owner we use said in any other car he could have been seriously injured or killed, and he said very few people get hit in the rear when stopped at by someone going 60MPH without serious injury, and he's seen a bunch of them over the years.

Handling: I agree that other cars handle better. Mazda, BMW, Audi, all handle better than the Volvo. I don't care. I prefer to be comfortable and my Volvos handle well enough.

Speed: My Volvos have been plenty fast enough. I don't have any need to go faster.
      Last edited by jaynlisa; 06-24-2020 at 10:52 AM.
      2018 XC60 Inscription AWD (Crystal White)
      2018 XC60 Inscription AWD (Bright Silver)
      2019 XC40 R-Design AWD (Bright Silver) T5 Polestar*

My first: as an impoverished grad student, a used 122. Years later, been through an assortment of 850 wagons, XC70s. Decade ago son and I rebuilt an 850, did the drive to the other coast and back. Could have been that trip or maybe itís a gene thing, but heís now a superb Volvo tech, cycles/flips Volvos like breathing.
      Why buy? This great thread full of good answers, but have to add one. Having been deep inside their innards, Iíve found that Volvos are over-engineered in almost every dimension. Example: a 2004 XC70, sold in 2015 w/>300K miles, been through its share of NE winters/salty roads, and still had a clean underbody, not a speck of rust. Not many other marques/brands go that way.

I have leased all my vehicles over the past 20+ years, and currently lease a 2019 V60 T6 (see signature).

I needed a wagon, minivan or SUV that would hold a wheelchair (my step-daughter uses a wheelchair) and fulfilled some other criteria:

- monthly lease payment maximum amount cap
      - non black interior (beige or brown preferred, absolutely no boring black caves though)
      - AWD
      - HUD
      - Advanced Driver Assist Systems
      - Ventilated seats
      - some more minor requirements

I cross shopped between Chrysler Pacifica minivans (no AWD available and the offers I got on the top optioned versions were abysmal), the KIA Telluride SX Prestige (no vehicles available with my preferences after I called every KIA dealer within 300 miles of my ZIP code - let me correct that, I found two that I would have taken, but they were marked up $5,000 and $7,000(!) respectively) and the Volvo V60 and V90 wagons. I found ONE V60 in TX that met my requirements and made an offer that was refused. Car sat on the dealer lot for a few months, so I made another offer at the end of the quarter and they accepted.

I'm pretty happy with the car, much happier than I would have been with a minivan or SUV. Funny enough, many SUVs I checked would not fit my daughters wheelchair without taking off the wheels. I took the wheelchair to every test drive, first thing I checked was that the chair would fit after folding the backrest of the chair, not the back seat of the car.
      2019 V60 T6 Inscription AWD Wagon, Advanced Package, Luxury Seat Package, Heated Rear Seats & Heated Steering Wheel, 19" Inscription Alloy Wheels

Onyx Black / Amber

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/933387.png

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Volvo does more crash tests, just to name some videos on XC90 you can find:
      - Side rollover
      - Roll off-road to ditch
      - Rear ended

No other cars did these. And IIHS test score is just one thing.
      Look at any Toyota's crashed from back or side, you will know what I mean.
      Plus don't forget, most other manufacturers design their cars to ace/beat the IIHS tests and not to necessarily to let you survive in the real world. For example, until both driver and passenger front offset crash testing was the norm only Volvo's could pass it. I had seen an Audi A6 with it's front bumper cover missing at the ends and had noticed that on the passenger side the crash bar only went as far as the mount point in the front of the car leaving the whole right side exposed and not reinforcing the fender where as the driver side was reinforced - they completely skimped on the passenger side when only the driver side was the expected lab test they needed to pass. No concern whatsoever for use in the wild. More evidence from IIHS of how most manufacturers design for lab tests.

https://www.cars.com/articles/iihs-f...1420684870660/

Volvo have been designing their cars for safety in the wild since the beginning and in fact they recreate major crashes in their lab to study solutions and continuously improve total vehicle safety.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...re-crash-tests
      https://www.driveandstayalive.com/volvo-safety-center/
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Just an example of crash test versus reality. There is a passenger side crash test (T-bone), not sure about currently, but there wasn’t a driver side test. Car companies would reinforce the passenger side and not the driver side. True, you are more likely to get T-boned on the passenger side, but Volvo was reinforcing the driver side anyway. Volvo has their own dedicated crash test lab that is as good or better than any testing facility and they don’t just test what the test looks for. Car companies will build for the test, not the real world. For towing numbers the big truck companies (ford, Chevy, etc) would strip off the bumper and spare tire because every pound is one more they can claim as towing capacity even though the average user isn’t going to do that.

In regards to the original question, we bought our first Volvo in 2013 when my wife fell in love with the S60. When we were looking at large SUVs, we compared the XC90 to the Q7, X5 and others and it offered the best value, comfort and aesthetics on top of the great safety. We loved the XC90 so much I traded my Subaru in for a V90CC. I’ve don’t 5+ hour drives in both SPA cars and never feel tired.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

If you perform your own maintenance; Bang for the buck and practicality which Volvo pretty much tossed after 1998. We own five.
      Three 850's including a manual turbo, a 745 redblock turbo with manual and a redblock Bertone 780.
      Sadly, I cannot ever see us buying anything newer than a '98. These rigs have a combined mileage of 1.8 million miles and we still get many 'nice Volvo' shout outs when driving them.
      The 421 paint-coded 855 turbo is our go-to for road trips. I often drive 11-12 hours straight in it and I am a sexagenarian which does all of his own maintenance.
      Last edited by RooBah; 06-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superscuba View Post
      I'm with visualv; I like non-lifted wagons. The lower and more powerful the better. I cross-shopped the Merc E450 but didn't love it. Took a 19 T6 S60 for a test drive and gambled that the T8 V60 would be even better. I think it is 🙂 I've also been very happy with the wife's 17 XC90 despite it being a tall boat, so will probably stick with volvos for some time.

re: Mazda, I've owned a bunch over the years and everything in the past 5yrs or so is top notch. I think you get more bang for your buck than with a Volvo, but agree with previous posts that the fit and finish isn't quite the same level. I will say though that the infotainment on my 15 mazda3 is better than pretty much anything I've used since, sensus included.
      That's funny cause we also cross shopped the E450 Wagon and would have considered the AMG however at the time we needed to be able to fit 3 car seats across the back and the 2nd row bench in the E wagon made it difficult and the width of the rear of the E made it too cramped. Surprisingly the 2015 V60 and XC60 at the time were far more comfortable to seat our 3 kids across the back in their seats than the E. In the end we decided with getting a second XC90 and landed with our T8 which we love along with the 2010. Excellent cars, great design, good value, and unique features especially with the T8. They are fun to drive, capable, go anywhere, comfortable, and safe. Heck back in 2010 when we were deciding what to choose then we had also cross shopped a Q7 and Cayenne. The R-Design had much crisper and lively steering than the Cayenne. And I'd driven many as loaners. What's still especially impressive is the great balance in both the 2010 and 2017 XC90s, they're easy to take around loose gravel, snow or wet asphalt (think Nurburgring, yes they've been on it) at speed and drift with confidence, seriously! And we take ours everywhere. I would have loved a V60 Polestar or V60CC but ultimately timing (the SPA ones weren't available yet) and we had also considered the V90CC. T8 pulled us to the XC90 and it's exceeded expectations - love the 120+mpg while commuting and a since new 42mpg which includes towing more than 15% of the time, off-road use, and long road trips. Nothing else really in the same segment as an XC90 T8, plus it's so well packaged!
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Traded up on a lease to a 2019 V9OCC T5 from a 2015.5 V60 (totaled the engine). The V60 was our first ever Volvo, as we wanted both a (true) wagon and were duly impressed with all the safety features - either standard or optional equipment. Looked at an Audi Allroad, but way pricier v. comparably equipped V60. Got a super discounted deal on V90CC, all the safety features available, etc, much larger storage in the boot, most comfortable seats in the business. However - and this is a BIG however, very disappointed in fuel economy. There should be NO excuse for contemporary vehicles equipped with ICE to have average fuel consumption under 35mpg...our V60 hit ca 40.5 mpg sometimes on freeway driving, and the V90 gets [I]barely 30 mpg.[I].
      Will take a hard look on reupping on lease expiration, but NOT if fuel economy not improved.

For me it was Pilot Assist. At the time, 2018, there weren't many cars that would do lane centering and adaptive cruise from 0 all the way up to 70mph.

I could not get a Tesla as I had no place to plug it in. I think, at least as far as my research went, it was down to the Volvo or the...I think Rogue. Not sure. But the competitor had a 0-60 time of like 12 seconds which is ridiculous.

I'm in this tiny minority because virtually no one cares about Pilot Assist, not even Volvo.

I bought mine because if you're downsizing from a Ford Taurus SHO, but want to maintain the level of hauling ass that I like, you really don't have many options if you have a peculiar space requirement.

I distilled my needs down to: I need to be able to fit a 6 foot ladder with the trunk closed and still have 3 seats available (so as much as I wanted a Genesis G70, that was out). And my wants were: at least as fast as the SHO, but smaller.

There are only a handful of cars that fit that description. The Jaguar XF Sportbrake wagon doesn't have the reliability to consider it, so I was basically choosing between a Kia Stinger and a Polestar-engineered V60.

Also, I love DFrantz's "luxury brand for people who like using turn signals" comment.

Bubbacars

Quote Originally Posted by iceman2222 View Post
      It no longer has a safety edge over many other cars, which have caught up.

It's not the best handling car, that title belongs to the German cars.

It's not the fastest of cars.

MY COMMENT FROM BUBBACARS;
      I bought it for its what I call elegant quirkiness and uniqueness. Its good looking, comfortable quiet and understated. And there are not nearly as many of them on the road, at least in the us, as bmws, audis and Japanese cars.
      The S60 is the best iteration of current Volvo design, but the lack of the 2.0 Turbo T5 with ALL WHEEL DRIVE being offered for 2021 will keep me away from a new one.
      instead of offering Polestar 2 as an S40 Petrol engine car (The design has been there for years), it will be only electric. Volvo is abandoning those who rent apartments or don't have garages for a charger. I cannot get an electric vehicle in NYC where I live. So I WILL abandon the product.

Lots of good reasons listed here. One thing bugs me about the V90 CC series. I love mine, but why oh why did Volvo USA give us the less safe red rear turn signals, rather than the amber ones on previous Volvos and on V90s sold elsewhere?

A really dumb move IMO, as bad as omitting CD players.

Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      ...why oh why did Volvo USA give us the less safe red rear turn signals, rather than the amber ones on previous Volvos....
      I continue to be puzzled by this one. I think someone theorized behind-the-scenes work by the big three, though to what end I don't know. Still, it makes as much sense, or more, than anything I've managed to come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

My selection criteria when buying my MY18 V90CC in June 2018,

I wanted a full(er) sized premium Wagon, which eliminated most of the Vehicles we see today. I was left with the V90 and V90CC from the Volvo stable, the MB E400 and E63/S, and the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo.

Prohibitive up-front and maintenance costs of the E63 and Panamera eliminated those options. Immaculate CPO options were not found. The E400 was too mainstream and bland, in my opinion, so that option was also removed.

The rarity (rather unavailability) of the V90 pushed me more towards the V90CC. Also, having knee issues did not help V90's case, as it's lower than the CC.

V90s in stock were hard to find, while V90CC was available in plenty at certain high-volume dealerships. I did not want to spend $70k+ on a Vehicle, which I won't be able to test-drive and explore properly. That eliminated the V90 for me.

I got a killer deal on my fully optioned MY18 V90CC from an out-of-state, high-volume dealership, as the MY19s were slated to come in.

And that's how I ended up in a Volvo. Looking back, 62k miles and two years later, I couldn't have made a better decision. The Panamera GTS Sport Turismo will have to wait.
      Last edited by Volvolic; 06-24-2020 at 07:01 PM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

For me, it really amounted to process of elimination based on the requirements I had:
      1) Wagon (sorry, lifted wagons like the A4 Allroad, Outback, etc. don't count)
      2) Upscale (sorry Golf Sportwagen)
      3) Handles well and goes fast (sorry E400 Wagon)
      4) Not over $100K (sorry E63 Wagon, RS6 Avant, and Panamera SportTurismo)

Here in the US, the only cars left that meet all those requirements was the Jag XF Sportbrake, the V60 T6/T8 PE, and maybe the V90 T6. I sure wouldn't have minded considering an M340i Touring, C43 AMG Wagon, or RS4 Avant, but the powers that be have decided the US isn't fit for such cars. C'est la vie. While the XF S Sportbrake certainly has the performance chops, I was let down by the interior, and having owned my fair share of British motorcycles, I hope I'm forgiven for being a bit wary of British build quality and engineering, especially when it comes to the electrical systems. That left the V60 T6/T8 and V90 T6 as the only remaining options, and seeing as how they don't offer the V60 T6 anymore in the US, that left me with just the V60 T8 PE vs V90 T6. Ultimately, the federal tax credits and utility company incentives tipped things over to the V60. Once I did the math, it turns out that after various incentives and credits, the V60 T8 PE would only cost about $6000 more than a comparably-equipped (read: fully loaded) V60 T5 RD model. Is $69K for a V60 wagon a good deal? That's a hard sell, but around $50K before taxes for an (alleged) 415HP PHEV that I can not only park in a designated charger spot at work on weekdays, but also have a good time at the track on weekends sounds like a solid value proposition.
      Volvo: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Other: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2010 Honda Civic, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia, 1998 Mercedes-Benz S320, 1995 Toyota Corolla

My reasons for Volvos......station wagon, station wagon, station wagon. It's a shame most every car maker has stopped making them. My first Volvo wagon was a '97 850 bought at seven years old. Next one was my current car, a 2007 XC70, also at seven years old. That seems to have been the age at which I could afford them. Looked at Subarus both times, but they just didn't fit me. SUVs don't do it for me. Have had some fun minivans but not useful to me anymore.

#1 Put everyone of my wife and kids in a Volvo from the beginning of their driving because of their unmatched safety research (My wife and I visited the Volvo Brand Experience Centre)
      #2 Customer service and human-centric aproach(especially OSD)
      #3 Reliability due to extensive testing
      #4 Unique styling
      #5 No one steals a Volvo
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Quote Originally Posted by itoredmond View Post
      #5 No one steals a Volvo
      Liar! Volvo's are cool enough to steal! Check out this video: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...nd-gave-chase/

The thief, meanwhile, has been named as 26-year-old Elizabeth Newton. She was arrested for a plethora of infractions including possession of a stolen car, speeding, driving without a license and resisting arrest.

Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 06-26-2020 at 04:18 PM.

The art of balance

I'm 31 now, since 16 I've owned so many cars I can't even count them or remember them all. I've driven everything from 2JZ powered 240sx's to Tesla Model-S. When my Audi S3 lease was up and I was looking for something different I decided to check out volvo.

Within 5 minutes of the test drive I knew this was it. I ended up buying that exact car within a week. For me, it was the perfect balance of sport and luxury, youth but refinement, capability but dependability, so on and so forth. It doesn't lean too far to the left or the right, it's cut down the center.

I loved the tech features of my Tesla but absolutely missed the vroom.
      Heico exhaust and a volvo S60 has bridged that perfect gap.
      I absolutely love this car, it's just a shame it's not worthy of owning and when the lease it up it'll be dumped. These things are more than likely going to have complications later one with the sophistication of this engine. I would enjoy a C63 much more for ownership if I'm going to pay the piper.

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      I

I just went through another lengthy research and evaluation process, and almost convinced myself to go with BMW 5-series for my next sedan. Took 540i for an extended test drive twice. It's a really nice car, but I just could not justify the price premium - S60 T6 RD is pretty comparable in performance, but costs $15K less, looks better and is more comfortable IMHO. Excluded all other competitors pretty quickly - Japanese brands are not appealing to me from interior design standpoint. Audi is not as comfortable and ride is worse. MB is overpriced and interior is blah and too pretentious overall.
      Interesting. The last BMW I owned was the 2nd gen 3 series, in Europe. At that time the 5 series was about the same size as a Volvo 240/260, a bit larger than a SAAB 900. Cars have grown larger over the years. I always thought of Volvo 60 series cars as comparable to BMW's bloated recent 3 series. When you were cross shopping did you find the Volvo 60 and BMW 5 series cars comparable in exterior size and interior space?

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2