Let in engine compartment by Volvo tech

5K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  gak 
#1 · (Edited)
Left in engine compartment by Volvo tech

What is it and what is it used for?

Tool Wood Antique tool Metalworking hand tool

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Yes, at a Volvo dealer. They were left there either when I had the 3 year service done or when I had the door latch recall done and asked them to look at a brake issue (vacuum seems to bleed out quickly after car has been sitting - sometimes just overnight.) I only had the hood up to clean debris from the spring pollenfest we have around here. It was laying right on top of the engine cover.

#14 ·
Just curious, did they find the vacuum problem? It sounds like issue I have. My car is still under the original warranty for a few months but I'm not sure if I will be able to stop by a dealership by then.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Two dealers have now told me this is "normal" for late model Volvos. I'm still under warranty and now have it on record twice if it truly becomes a problem. Funny, it hasn't been an issue since the hose pliers were used to do something under the hood. Coincidence?

#7 ·
We're talking about a hose removal tool, not a calibrated caliper, an impact wrench, or forged impact sockets. Some tools don't need to be over engineered. Give me a situation where a department store brand or big box hardware store branded tool would be any better, longer lasting, or more effective than this tool for this specific function.

Would you rather they buy upcharged brands and pass on that "quality" to you in costs?

#10 ·
I hold the mechanics and technicians at a Volvo dealership to a higher standard. They should be tradesmen and craftsmen that justify the premium cost for their services. You all are correct... there are diminishing returns on the quality of some items. But yes, I'm a snob. My tools should not be better than my mechanic's, or the contractor or tradesmen working on my house.

#30 ·
I'd much rather have the best tech with ok tools than the ok tech with the best tools.

#21 ·
That's why I didn't make an issue of it and returned the tool. I suppose it might have fallen and done some real damage while I was driving, but it didn't. No harm, no foul. I figured when I'm perfect, then I'll worry about the tech's mistake. Having said that, I really don't understand the brake issue and I wish I could get a better explanation than, "they're all that way." If I'm on my way to Colorado in Tree Stump Kansas and get a brake code/warning light I'm going to be pissed.

#23 ·
Same here. MY 15.5 S60 has never had any brake issue, either. Maybe a 2nd opinion from another dealer is in order when an issue remains unresolved. Analogous to getting a second opinion on a medical diagnosis to be sure doctor #1 concurs with doctor #2. Though OP is saying brake problem now appears "fixed".

#25 ·
How does this vaccuum issue manifest itself?
I had an issue once years ago where the brake pedal would go down low and the car had a hard time stopping when I first take it out in the morning. I would be backing up downhill on the driveway and have to push real hard to slow it down. Once I got going I had no issue. It was just the first application of the brake.
Took it to the dealer and it was a blown fuse. They fixed it and I never had an issue with it after that.
I just found it a bit strange that the car did not pop up some kind of warning in the dash.

#33 · (Edited)
Not sure about OP but for me it's when I leave the car with engine off for a few hours the brake vacuum booster looses all the vacuum and doesn't provide any assistance until the engine is turned on for a few seconds.
The real reason how I found out was that when I get to the car I had to press quite hard to start the car since if I just rest my foot on the break pedal the pedal doesn't go down and the car won't start (car thinks the pedal is not pressed at all).

The reason I say "quite hard" is that my wife has 2015.5 V60 and you just rest your food on the pedal and it goes down (there is vacuum even after many days of not driving) very easily.
My 2016 S60 on the other hand behaves differently.

Also the brake vacuum assist is good since if I put the car's ignition to mode 2 the brake assist will create vacuum and the force needed for the brake pedal to go down is small.

#31 · (Edited)
When I was a teenager I shadowed a few techs. The best one by far had MATCO and craftsman tools, old-ish boxes, nothing fancy bu everything you needed. Then a few lifts down there was a tech with about $100k in snap on tools, boxes and computers. Guess who asked who for help regularly?

#32 ·
Asinine Question but do dealerships not provide techs with any tools? Are Techs responsible for purchasing everything? Seems quite expensive proposition if they're on the hook to supply their own toolboxes.

#39 ·
I frequent a couple of technician forums, and a constant joke is that nobody's toolbox has a 10mm socket. They are used so often, and thus left behind so often, that they have become the rarest tool in anybody's box. Anybody who gets snooty about techs forgetting to retrieve this or that tool has never done a flat-rate job under the constraints of time and money.

#41 ·
And somehow this is also true for us amateur shade tree mechanics. Or it is for me, anyway...

#42 ·
Just my opinion, but all tools made today are inferior. Snap-On sells a lot because they are convenient to use and are sold from trucks that drive from shop to shop - but the quality is mediocre at best. If you want really good quality hand tools you have to haunt flea markets and garage sales looking for things like made-in-USA Stanley and Craftsmen, Swedish-made Bahco and similar German and UK products. UK-made Stanley tools are excellent.

The Stanleys I bought or inherited, and tools I bought when I lived in Britain and Scandinavia years ago will be used by my children and grandchildren - some of them already are. My decades-old Stanley and Bahco pliers and screwdrivers are irreplaceable.

(BTW - This is where I make the pitch to toss your Philips screwdrivers and invest in a set of British, Swedish or German manufactured Posi Drives. You'll thank me. :) )

OTOH, I agree completely that for things that do not require extreme precision or strength - like hose pliers or clamps there is no reason not to buy Chinese or South Asian stuff from Harbor Freight or elsewhere.

#45 ·
Absolutely.

#47 · (Edited)
Do not exchange Phillips for Posidrive. They are two different tools for two different fasteners. Bad advice because they can damage each other.

Decades ago, I found a hammer under my hood. I still use it today.

I left a screwdriver belonging to my boss under the hood of a customer car. Found it next time the car was in for an oil change. Slipped it back into his toolbox and I don't think he was any wiser.

#51 ·
Do not exchange Phillips for Posidrive. They are two different tools for two different fasteners. Bad advice because they can damage each other.
I disagree. I've been using Posidrive screwdrivers since I discovered them while living in Sweden in 1973, and have yet to find a Philips head screw that they did not handle better than a Philips screwdriver. I still use the ones I bought in Sweden in the '70s and England in the '80s. They give better purchase than a Philips in my experience. . Posidrive basically is simply an improved Philips design.

p.s. The link you posted has got it wrong. Posidrive screwdrivers will not damage Philips head screws; Philips screwdrivers are more likely to do so if the screw is made of softer metal. Using power drivers may be a different subject, I'm speaking of manual screwdrivers and do not use Posidrive bits in power tools..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.