Let in engine compartment by Volvo tech
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Left in engine compartment by Volvo tech

What is it and what is it used for?

IMG_1603.jpg
      Last edited by rsumner437; 06-21-2020 at 11:44 AM.
      2017 V60CC AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rsumner437 View Post
      Hose grip pliers
      2017 V60 P*

Or maybe he is a part time horse dentist ?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Those hose pliers look like they came from Harbor Freight. Were you at a Volvo dealer, and what work were you having done?
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertK View Post
      Those hose pliers look like they came from Harbor Freight. Were you at a Volvo dealer, and what work were you having done?
      Yes, at a Volvo dealer. They were left there either when I had the 3 year service done or when I had the door latch recall done and asked them to look at a brake issue (vacuum seems to bleed out quickly after car has been sitting - sometimes just overnight.) I only had the hood up to clean debris from the spring pollenfest we have around here. It was laying right on top of the engine cover.
      Last edited by rsumner437; 06-21-2020 at 11:43 AM.
      2017 V60CC AWD

Not very reassuring to learn your Volvo service dept buys low quality tools. The rest of us have the excuse of seldom use...but a professional mechanic?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ridley View Post
      Not very reassuring to learn your Volvo service dept buys low quality tools. The rest of us have the excuse of seldom use...but a professional mechanic?
      We're talking about a hose removal tool, not a calibrated caliper, an impact wrench, or forged impact sockets. Some tools don't need to be over engineered. Give me a situation where a department store brand or big box hardware store branded tool would be any better, longer lasting, or more effective than this tool for this specific function.

Would you rather they buy upcharged brands and pass on that "quality" to you in costs?
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Have you ever used Pittsburgh hand tools. Which ones were low quality to you? Pittsburgh hand tools at Harbor Freight carry a lifetime warranty. I prefer a mechanic smart enough to spend his money on tools where there is clearly a difference in quality (air/power tools) and save his money on hand tools where you can get a quality tool with a lifetime guarantee for half the price (or less) as other brands.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      I prefer a mechanic smart enough to spend his money on tools where there is clearly a difference in quality (air/power tools) and save his money on hand tools where you can get a quality tool with a lifetime guarantee for half the price (or less) as other brands.
      Mostly agreed, but maybe I prefer one just a little smarter so he doesn't leave said quality discount tools in the engine bay! On the positive side though at least he won't have to spend much to replace it...
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

I hold the mechanics and technicians at a Volvo dealership to a higher standard. They should be tradesmen and craftsmen that justify the premium cost for their services. You all are correct... there are diminishing returns on the quality of some items. But yes, I'm a snob. My tools should not be better than my mechanic's, or the contractor or tradesmen working on my house.

This is ridiculous. Sometimes we don't need to spend 3x on a Snap On version of something. A simple pair of hose pliers is one such case.

Yes, at a Volvo dealer. They were left there either when I had the 3 year service done or when I had the door latch recall done and asked them to look at a brake issue (vacuum seems to bleed out quickly after car has been sitting - sometimes just overnight.) I only had the hood up to clean debris from the spring pollenfest we have around here. It was laying right on top of the engine cover.
      Just curious, did they find the vacuum problem? It sounds like issue I have. My car is still under the original warranty for a few months but I'm not sure if I will be able to stop by a dealership by then.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

The OP is lucky. The only gift I ever got from the service department was a cup of coffee and a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by zjev View Post
      Just curious, did they find the vacuum problem? It sounds like issue I have. My car is still under the original warranty for a few months but I'm not sure if I will be able to stop by a dealership by then.

Two dealers have now told me this is "normal" for late model Volvos. I'm still under warranty and now have it on record twice if it truly becomes a problem. Funny, it hasn't been an issue since the hose pliers were used to do something under the hood. Coincidence?
      2017 V60CC AWD

Two dealers have now told me this is "normal" for late model Volvos. I'm still under warranty and now have it on record twice if it truly becomes a problem. Funny, it hasn't been an issue since the hose pliers were used to do something under the hood. Coincidence?
      Good to know, thank you!

I will see if I manage to bring it in before the warranty expires and will follow up here.
      My brake pedal is always hard in the morning. Would say it takes ~4 hours to loose all the vacuum from the system. Although sometimes it's 1 hour and sometimes it will hold over night(very rare though). Very strange behavior, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      The OP is lucky. The only gift I ever got from the service department was a cup of coffee and a cookie.
      I took it back to them. Thought maybe I'd get a free car wash. Didn't happen.
      2017 V60CC AWD

Good man.

“Here, take your ****ty tool back. I don’t want its essence anywhere near my car or my other tools. Just...eww.”
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      Mostly agreed, but maybe I prefer one just a little smarter so he doesn't leave said quality discount tools in the engine bay! On the positive side though at least he won't have to spend much to replace it...
      LOL. I have definitely felt embarrassed after realizing I left a tool in my engine bay. Makes me feel a little better about my skill level as a shade-tree mechanic to find out that the professionals do it too!

I hold the mechanics and technicians at a Volvo dealership to a higher standard. They should be tradesmen and craftsmen that justify the premium cost for their services. You all are correct... there are diminishing returns on the quality of some items. But yes, I'm a snob. My tools should not be better than my mechanic's, or the contractor or tradesmen working on my house.
      Not many people admit to snobbery. Many take offense to being called a snob, which is why I refrained. Cheers to you for being honest.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

really?...controversy over a pair of hose pliers?.......and a human act of making a mistake?.....jesus criminy....

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      really?...controversy over a pair of hose pliers?.......and a human act of making a mistake?.....jesus criminy....
      That's why I didn't make an issue of it and returned the tool. I suppose it might have fallen and done some real damage while I was driving, but it didn't. No harm, no foul. I figured when I'm perfect, then I'll worry about the tech's mistake. Having said that, I really don't understand the brake issue and I wish I could get a better explanation than, "they're all that way." If I'm on my way to Colorado in Tree Stump Kansas and get a brake code/warning light I'm going to be pissed.
      2017 V60CC AWD

yeah....don't know much about the brake issue.....i know my 2012 S60 is not part of the " they're all that way"....

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      yeah....don't know much about the brake issue.....i know my 2012 S60 is not part of the " they're all that way"....
      Same here. MY 15.5 S60 has never had any brake issue, either. Maybe a 2nd opinion from another dealer is in order when an issue remains unresolved. Analogous to getting a second opinion on a medical diagnosis to be sure doctor #1 concurs with doctor #2. Though OP is saying brake problem now appears "fixed".

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      LOL. I have definitely felt embarrassed after realizing I left a tool in my engine bay. Makes me feel a little better about my skill level as a shade-tree mechanic to find out that the professionals do it too!

Not many people admit to snobbery. Many take offense to being called a snob, which is why I refrained. Cheers to you for being honest.
      Attachment 62449
      Attached Images Attached Images

How does this vaccuum issue manifest itself?
      I had an issue once years ago where the brake pedal would go down low and the car had a hard time stopping when I first take it out in the morning. I would be backing up downhill on the driveway and have to push real hard to slow it down. Once I got going I had no issue. It was just the first application of the brake.
      Took it to the dealer and it was a blown fuse. They fixed it and I never had an issue with it after that.
      I just found it a bit strange that the car did not pop up some kind of warning in the dash.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

More Left-Behinds

What is this? Part number 31363638. Found on floor after recent Volvo Service. Looks like a cover or trim piece.
      Attached Images Attached Images

What is this? Part number 31363638. Found on floor after recent Volvo Service. Looks like a cover or trim piece.
      Looks like part of the flex capacitor. I'm surprised your car runs at all.
      2017 V60CC AWD

Answered my own question. It's a cover that hides a screw on the leading edge of the rear door panel. Was removed to do the latch recall, but evidently forgotten during re-assembly.

I had this happen to me 25 or so years ago with a Ford Taurus. I don't remember what I was having done but the dealership mechanic left a set of channel locks and a crescent wrench right below the wipers in the cowl area. Service manager made the mechanic come out and apologize to me, lol.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I'd much rather have the best tech with ok tools than the ok tech with the best tools.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

When I was a teenager I shadowed a few techs. The best one by far had MATCO and craftsman tools, old-ish boxes, nothing fancy bu everything you needed. Then a few lifts down there was a tech with about $100k in snap on tools, boxes and computers. Guess who asked who for help regularly?
      Last edited by T501; 06-23-2020 at 10:14 PM.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Asinine Question but do dealerships not provide techs with any tools? Are Techs responsible for purchasing everything? Seems quite expensive proposition if they're on the hook to supply their own toolboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      How does this vaccuum issue manifest itself?
      I had an issue once years ago where the brake pedal would go down low and the car had a hard time stopping when I first take it out in the morning. I would be backing up downhill on the driveway and have to push real hard to slow it down. Once I got going I had no issue. It was just the first application of the brake.
      Took it to the dealer and it was a blown fuse. They fixed it and I never had an issue with it after that.
      I just found it a bit strange that the car did not pop up some kind of warning in the dash.
      Not sure about OP but for me it's when I leave the car with engine off for a few hours the brake vacuum booster looses all the vacuum and doesn't provide any assistance until the engine is turned on for a few seconds.
      The real reason how I found out was that when I get to the car I had to press quite hard to start the car since if I just rest my foot on the break pedal the pedal doesn't go down and the car won't start (car thinks the pedal is not pressed at all).

The reason I say "quite hard" is that my wife has 2015.5 V60 and you just rest your food on the pedal and it goes down (there is vacuum even after many days of not driving) very easily.
      My 2016 S60 on the other hand behaves differently.

Also the brake vacuum assist is good since if I put the car's ignition to mode 2 the brake assist will create vacuum and the force needed for the brake pedal to go down is small.
      Last edited by zjev; 06-24-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Asinine Question but do dealerships not provide techs with any tools? Are Techs responsible for purchasing everything? Seems quite expensive proposition if they're on the hook to supply their own toolboxes.
      Aside from Volvo special tools, we are responsible for our own tools. Some dealers provide toolboxes. I don't know of any.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      my understanding is that mechanics buy their own tools.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast