Let in engine compartment by Volvo tech - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 36 to 51 of 51
    1. #36
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2003
      Posts
      1,868
      Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      Guess who asked who for help regularly?
      It's the wizard not the wand.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      887
      Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      my understanding is that mechanics buy their own tools.
      Standard tool set yes. It’s my understanding that some proprietary tools Volvo created are bought and shared by the service departments.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    4. #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Aside from Volvo special tools, we are responsible for our own tools. Some dealers provide toolboxes. I don't know of any.
      I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Techs definitely get a whole new level of respect. I can't imagine being the guy at the bottom of the totem pole, just starting out, and having to shell out $1000s for tools to begin a new job.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      514
      I frequent a couple of technician forums, and a constant joke is that nobody's toolbox has a 10mm socket. They are used so often, and thus left behind so often, that they have become the rarest tool in anybody's box. Anybody who gets snooty about techs forgetting to retrieve this or that tool has never done a flat-rate job under the constraints of time and money.

    7. #40
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,544
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Aside from Volvo special tools, we are responsible for our own tools. Some dealers provide toolboxes. I don't know of any.
      I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Techs definitely get a whole new level of respect. I can't imagine being the guy at the bottom of the totem pole, just starting out, and having to shell out $1000s for tools to begin a new job.
      Yeah my spending has gone WAY down since starting. I rarely buy tools now.

      Starting out with a good basic set isn't that bad. Then they can see what they should add to it. I borrow tools to the new guys. But if you borrow it three times, time to buy it.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      199
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I frequent a couple of technician forums, and a constant joke is that nobody's toolbox has a 10mm socket. They are used so often, and thus left behind so often, that they have become the rarest tool in anybody's box. Anybody who gets snooty about techs forgetting to retrieve this or that tool has never done a flat-rate job under the constraints of time and money.
      And somehow this is also true for us amateur shade tree mechanics. Or it is for me, anyway...
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

    9. #42
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      94
      Just my opinion, but all tools made today are inferior. Snap-On sells a lot because they are convenient to use and are sold from trucks that drive from shop to shop - but the quality is mediocre at best. If you want really good quality hand tools you have to haunt flea markets and garage sales looking for things like made-in-USA Stanley and Craftsmen, Swedish-made Bahco and similar German and UK products. UK-made Stanley tools are excellent.

      The Stanleys I bought or inherited, and tools I bought when I lived in Britain and Scandinavia years ago will be used by my children and grandchildren - some of them already are. My decades-old Stanley and Bahco pliers and screwdrivers are irreplaceable.

      (BTW - This is where I make the pitch to toss your Philips screwdrivers and invest in a set of British, Swedish or German manufactured Posi Drives. You'll thank me. )

      OTOH, I agree completely that for things that do not require extreme precision or strength - like hose pliers or clamps there is no reason not to buy Chinese or South Asian stuff from Harbor Freight or elsewhere.

    10. #43
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,544
      Snap On was convenient before Amazon.

    11. #44
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,952
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Asinine Question but do dealerships not provide techs with any tools? Are Techs responsible for purchasing everything? Seems quite expensive proposition if they're on the hook to supply their own toolboxes.
      Yup. Techs have to buy their own tools and boxes. The dealers only provide factory diagnostic scanners, lifts, air compressors, uniforms. Other than that the tech has to make a big upfront investment in tools and of course has to acquire more along the way.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    12. #45
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,952
      Absolutely.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    13. #46
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2003
      Posts
      1,868
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      (BTW - This is where I make the pitch to toss your Philips screwdrivers and invest in a set of British, Swedish or German manufactured Posi Drives. You'll thank me. )
      I learned something today! (Google "pozidriv")

      I used to have a set of Whitworth wrenches ("spanners", LOL) for my BSA, but they went with the bike
      Last edited by Dyno; 06-25-2020 at 08:00 AM.

    14. #47
      Junior Member Bigjon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      SE PA
      Posts
      199
      Do not exchange Phillips for Posidrive. They are two different tools for two different fasteners. Bad advice because they can damage each other.

      Decades ago, I found a hammer under my hood. I still use it today.

      I left a screwdriver belonging to my boss under the hood of a customer car. Found it next time the car was in for an oil change. Slipped it back into his toolbox and I don't think he was any wiser.
      Last edited by Bigjon; 06-25-2020 at 11:47 AM.
      99 V70 Stick - Soon to be Scrapped
      00 V70 T5 Stick
      95 BMW M3 Stick
      08 S80 T6 AWD

    15. #48
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      990
      Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      Yup. Techs have to buy their own tools and boxes.
      It's a lot more common now for higher end dealers to have built in toolboxes. The last Volvo dealer I worked at had built in toolboxes.

      But yes, I did buy my own toolbox that I had to then store in my home garage when I worked at that shop. Between my toolbox and the tools in it, I had spent more money over the years than the value of most of the cars I worked on with those tools.
      2007 S40 T5

    16. #49
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      569
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Just my opinion, but all tools made today are inferior. Snap-On sells a lot because they are convenient to use and are sold from trucks that drive from shop to shop - but the quality is mediocre at best. If you want really good quality hand tools you have to haunt flea markets and garage sales looking for things like made-in-USA Stanley and Craftsmen, Swedish-made Bahco and similar German and UK products. UK-made Stanley tools are excellent.
      You get what you pay for. Those tools back then cost several days/weeks pay. The same lower quality tools you're hating on, cost maybe an hour or two of work these days. It wasn't exactly the heyday of tools back then when it only made sense for people who used them for a living to own them. I'll take our current tool age where it's cost effective and convenient to own every tool* I need to wrench on my car in my own garage.

      *Except for a Volvo blower motor puller
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

    17. #50
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      94
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Snap On was convenient before Amazon.
      Very true.

    18. #51
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      94
      Quote Originally Posted by Bigjon View Post
      Do not exchange Phillips for Posidrive. They are two different tools for two different fasteners. Bad advice because they can damage each other.
      I disagree. I've been using Posidrive screwdrivers since I discovered them while living in Sweden in 1973, and have yet to find a Philips head screw that they did not handle better than a Philips screwdriver. I still use the ones I bought in Sweden in the '70s and England in the '80s. They give better purchase than a Philips in my experience. . Posidrive basically is simply an improved Philips design.

      p.s. The link you posted has got it wrong. Posidrive screwdrivers will not damage Philips head screws; Philips screwdrivers are more likely to do so if the screw is made of softer metal. Using power drivers may be a different subject, I'm speaking of manual screwdrivers and do not use Posidrive bits in power tools..

    19. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-03-2017, 09:29 PM
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
    3. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
      By R Kelly in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 40
      Last Post: 11-27-2005, 12:07 PM
    4. compartment underneath glove compartment
      By tigger4mayor in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-16-2004, 12:00 AM
    5. let it snow let it snow.....
      By jontmiller in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-17-2003, 09:45 AM