HELP! How do you remove the bottom foot panel on the middle row for rear dashcam wiring?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Exclamation HELP! How do you remove the bottom foot panel on the middle row for rear dashcam wiring?

Help! I am in the midst of wiring my rear dashcam and want to run the wires along the bottom side foot pillar. I can get the front side removed easily enough. But how do you remove the one on the passenger side? I don't want to "just pull it" since I don't want to be breaking tabs. This is the one that has the 2nd row seatbelt going through it. Has anyone done this yet?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Instead of taking off the panel, can the wire just be snuck under the panel as shown in the picture? I found this to be much easier and faster than ripping off the panel.
      Attachment 62437
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Instead of taking off the panel, can the wire just be snuck under the panel as shown in the picture? I found this to be much easier and faster than ripping off the panel.
      Attachment 62437
      There's no attachment. Also, if you run the wire along the header, you run the possibility of hindering the side curtain airbag deployment.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      There's no attachment.
      I used a plastic trim removal tool to push the wire under the trim located near the foot mat. A wide flathead would work too.
      Also, if you run the wire along the header, you run the possibility of hindering the side curtain airbag deployment.
      I have another camera where the wire was installed along the header (or headliner) instead of the footer. I used the same technique as the footer where I just pushed the wire under or into the headliner.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Help! I am in the midst of wiring my rear dashcam and want to run the wires along the bottom side foot pillar. I can get the front side removed easily enough. But how do you remove the one on the passenger side? I don't want to "just pull it" since I don't want to be breaking tabs. This is the one that has the 2nd row seatbelt going through it. Has anyone done this yet?
      Have you seen this? https://youtu.be/zFcvIScQ-Is
      2020 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2008 XC90 3.2L FWD (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ButchIVIX View Post

Have you seen this? https://youtu.be/zFcvIScQ-Is
      Yes, he dodged the issue....AND installed the add-a-circuit wrong.

I ended up doing the install..and correctly. I will post pics.

Ok folks, after a bit of motivation, I finished the read dash cam install. Here it is from the back to the glove compartment are fuse panel. There are plenty of other threads showing how the front is mounted so I skipped taking pics of those.

Here is how it looks from the back. Don't let the radio antenna fool you. The camera is dead smack centered.

WSxZbuO.jpg

Here's how it looks from the inside.

2SgSjLj.jpg

Here's how I routed the cable. Note where my two fingers are pointing.

gmGBgKk.jpg

Here's how the trim looks like. My finger is pointing to a plastic piece. You don't want to break this.

OwMWNq0.jpg

This is the D pillar trim. My finger is pointing to how I routed the wire so that it will not interfere with the airbag.

vfKKfYx.jpg

I routed the wire through the headliner not blocking the airbag. I then used a screwdriver and one of those interior tools to route the wire down the C pillar and onto the footwell.

KWtwlqS.jpg

This is how the seatbelt C pillar trim looks like from the back. Note the plastic tabs from where my finger is pointing.

Zw6UiJL.jpg

This is the footstep trim with the green plug for illumination.

UJb5hTu.jpg

Note how I routed the wire. I will fish this through the B pillar and onto the front passenger side.

yGvEPLR.jpg

This is the front passenger foot step area. I didn't bother taking a pic of the trim since there are many other threads that have this. Note how I routed the wire. I go up from here and up into the A pillar and onto the middle of the windshield.

JzzfbaZ.jpg

This is how I mounted the add-a-circuit (AAC) for my Valentine 1 AND dashcam into fuse 49. I put the "always on" AAC for the dashcam onto fuse 52 for parked monitoring. DO NOT COPY THIS. Although row 50-59 read as "always on", it's not. I have also found that these fuses are only "always hot" so long as the car computer says so. Just like when you leave the radio on to listen to it while in park and the ignition OFF, it will eventually ask you something like "The car should go into safe battery mode. Do you still want to listen to the radio or shutdown?". Hence, I will only get maybe 10 min (or less) of parked monitoring until the computer eventually decides that it shuts down the battery drain. I still need to figure out which of these fuses is "truly hot".

32T4Hl7.jpg

For those just wanting to hardwire to a "switched" fuse, row 46-49 are "switched". I used fuse 49 since, according to the manual, is an unused fuse. In fact, a lot of fuse spots are unused. I don't know why Volvo bothered to put fuses in them if they are not used.

Note that the AAC needs to be oriented so that the red wire points DOWN. See here for details as to why https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7461125

I cut a notch on the cover so that my wires can easily pass through them.

QaoXRKH.jpg

This is how I mounted the add-a-circuit (AAC) for my Valentine 1 AND dashcam into fuse 49. I put the "always on" AAC for the dashcam onto fuse 52 for parked monitoring. DO NOT COPY THIS. Although row 50-59 read as "always on", it's not. I have also found that these fuses are only "always hot" so long as the car computer says so. Just like when you leave the radio on to listen to it while in park and the ignition OFF, it will eventually ask you something like "The car should go into safe battery mode. Do you still want to listen to the radio or shutdown?". Hence, I will only get maybe 10 min (or less) of parked monitoring until the computer eventually decides that it shuts down the battery drain. I still need to figure out which of these fuses is "truly hot".

32T4Hl7.jpg

For those just wanting to hardwire to a "switched" fuse, row 46-49 are "switched". I used fuse 49 since, according to the manual, is an unused fuse. In fact, a lot of fuse spots are unused. I don't know why Volvo bothered to put fuses in them if they are not used.

Note that the AAC needs to be oriented so that the red wire points DOWN. See here for details as to why https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7461125

I cut a notch on the cover so that my wires can easily pass through them.

QaoXRKH.jpg
      Just an addendum to this excellent write up: I found that not all the fuses are "hot" on the same side. The one I tapped into (#15) required the wire on the AAC to point UP (not down). Make sure you use a voltmeter to check before buttoning everything up and/or make sure the device turns off as expected when you pull the top fuse.
      2018 XC90 Inscription / Air Suspension / B & W / 21" OEM Wheels

I own an S60 that I've prperly hardwired for two dash cameras. Got a free beta camera to trial so why not. However, from a shear curiosity standpoint, it would appear the B and C pillars could simply have the wires tucked into the circled groove, since the airbags sit above the seatbelt per my picture? At least that's how the S60 appears to be on VIDA where the side curtain sits above the circled groove. So you aren't crossing over it when tucking wire. However, it appears the A and D Pillars contain a side curtain airbag, necessitating the trim be removed, and the wire tucked behind the airbag to prevent obstructing deployment. Is this correct?

Untitled.jpg

THIS IS HOW THE S60 LOOKED...Is the XC90 the SAME?

Untitled.jpg
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 06-24-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I own an S60 that I've prperly hardwired for two dash cameras. Got a free beta camera to trial so why not. However, from a shear curiosity standpoint, it would appear the B and C pillars could simply have the wires tucked into the circled groove, since the airbags sit above the seatbelt per my picture? At least that's how the S60 appears to be on VIDA where the side curtain sits above the circled groove. So you aren't crossing over it when tucking wire. However, it appears the A and D Pillars contain a side curtain airbag, necessitating the trim be removed, and the wire tucked behind the airbag to prevent obstructing deployment. Is this correct?

Untitled.jpg

THIS IS HOW THE S60 LOOKED...Is the XC90 the SAME?

Untitled.jpg
      You're adding a cable along the deployment path of the airbag... you don't think there's a problem with that?

Thanks for posting the pictures.

One thing I found with that rear camera position, is that there is some backflow going there such that when driving in the rain, that "shaded" area gets more water than I'd assumed. I have rear camera pointed in a similar fashion in 1 vehicle with a hatchback, and under the rear spoiler in a sedan. Both of them, especially the one under the rear spoiler, don't really need a wiper to keep the view clean.

Perhaps there is a simple but unobtrusive way to slightly alter the airflow so the glass in front of that camera remains clean longer.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

You're adding a cable along the deployment path of the airbag... you don't think there's a problem with that?
      I'll have to grab a photo when my phone is charged. When tucking into those grooves on the B-Pillar of the S60, the cable sits behind metal clips. I was asking if that's the same on the XC90 or if you have to tuck behind the seatbelt. I'll get photos here later to post.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I'll have to grab a photo when my phone is charged. When tucking into those grooves on the B-Pillar of the S60, the cable sits behind metal clips. I was asking if that's the same on the XC90 or if you have to tuck behind the seatbelt. I'll get photos here later to post.
      It looks to be the same. But when the airbag deploys, I believe that is the path from which the airbag comes out of the headliner. So I wouldn't want to put anything that would obstruct it from deploying fully. I assume you're saying that your cable sits behind metal clips. That may be so, but that's not true going down the whole length of the cable. The curtain airbags go from the A pillar all the way back to the D pillar. If your cable is 100% behind clips throughout this span so as to no way interfere with airbag deployment, then it would appear you're all set. But we know that's not possible.
      Last edited by theclutch; 06-24-2020 at 05:25 PM.

It looks to be the same. But when the airbag deploys, I believe that is the path from which the airbag comes out of the headliner. So I wouldn't want to put anything that would obstruct it from deploying fully. I assume you're saying that your cable sits behind metal clips. That may be so, but that's not true going down the whole length of the cable. The curtain airbags go from the A pillar all the way back to the D pillar. If your cable is 100% behind clips throughout this span so as to no way interfere with airbag deployment, then it would appear you're all set. But we know that's not possible.
      I'm on an S60 not XC90. But on the B-Pillar of the S60, I have mine routed into that circled groove and it sits behind the clips and the metal plate. And then on A and C Pillar, I removed those pillars and tucked the wire behind the curtain and then run the curtain along the weather stripping and behind the curtain in the headliner.

20200624_183005.jpg

20200624_184157.jpg

I will say running it in the headliner (S60, XC90, etc) doesn't overcome the need to tuck the wires behind A and C pillar side curtain on the S60 and I presume A and D Pillar on the XC90? The only option is go behind the side curtain on A-Pillar and then along the headliner or go along the floor and exit out at behind the C-Pillar Curtain (S60) or D-Pillar Curtain (XC90) to get the rear camera mounted.

At least that's my understanding. I choose to tuck behind side curtain on the S60.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 06-24-2020 at 06:48 PM.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements