2012 S60 T5 New Suspension Recommendations Needed - Possibly 2" drop?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 S60 T5 New Suspension Recommendations Needed - Possibly 2" drop?

So my 2012 S60 T5 FWD has 150k miles

I've already done the front sway bar links but the struts are definitely on the lose feel.

What's the best struts to go for? I was on rockauto.com and they have a drop kit which I'm kinda enticed by but also will I be sacrificing handling?
      I do think my car S60 would look sharp with the drop but I'm just concerned about road rubbing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVt...ew?usp=sharing
      I got updated 17"s from a 2015 S60.

Billstein B8
      https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...501006&jsn=384

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...501006&jsn=383

I am interested in this though it's a little more pricey than I thought.
      https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...01006&jsn=9164

Do anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You sure you want 2"? That's a lot. Nearly all the aftermarket springs (Heico, Eibach, and H&R) for the S60/V60 stick to ~30 mm (1.2"). I have a set of H&R's I'm going to be putting in soon and am already worried that my oversized 45 series tires and my 15 mm spacers are going to be a problem.

There are a few people running pretty low on here with KW's, but I've seen many threads of posters fussing with their height settings to avoid rubbing.

That B12 kit is a good price. Alone you're look at around $400-450 for that Eibach spring kit included in that package. I've seen these at ~$1000, so 900 is nice.

Check the classifieds as well. It's rare, but there will be a suspension set up being sold every now and then. I picked up a set of 25k mile R-Design struts/rear shocks with the H&R's for cheap (considering how much the gentlemen who sold them to me paid to ship them! I think he just needed them gone).
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

IPd and vivaperformance both sell the bilstein b8 shocks for lowered vehicles. Vivaperformance has awesome customer service as well! Good luck, brian

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      You sure you want 2"? That's a lot. Nearly all the aftermarket springs (Heico, Eibach, and H&R) for the S60/V60 stick to ~30 mm (1.2"). I have a set of H&R's I'm going to be putting in soon and am already worried that my oversized 45 series tires and my 15 mm spacers are going to be a problem.

There are a few people running pretty low on here with KW's, but I've seen many threads of posters fussing with their height settings to avoid rubbing.

That B12 kit is a good price. Alone you're look at around $400-450 for that Eibach spring kit included in that package. I've seen these at ~$1000, so 900 is nice.

Check the classifieds as well. It's rare, but there will be a suspension set up being sold every now and then. I picked up a set of 25k mile R-Design struts/rear shocks with the H&R's for cheap (considering how much the gentlemen who sold them to me paid to ship them! I think he just needed them gone).
      What was difference with the R-Design rear stuts/shocks? Just curious.

I was mistaken, I mean't the 1.2" drop Yeah I'll keep on the lookout

Is there any other things i should look at such as strut mounts? I have a "ching" (like coins) when i go over really bumpy roads coming out of the drivers side, it seems to be a common issue from what I've read on here.

If you rub....roll em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Farmacist View Post

Is there any other things i should look at such as strut mounts? I have a "ching" (like coins) when i go over really bumpy roads coming out of the drivers side, it seems to be a common issue from what I've read on here.
      For that era (pre-facelift) The R-Design and the T6 with the standard "Dynamic" suspension share the same front strut with the rear shock in the R-Design being monotube versus the twin tube setup in the T6.

The springs in the R-Design dropped an additional 0.6" vs the T6.

Your T5 has the "Touring" suspension, which is the softest setup of the three. You're going to feel a massive difference going from worn Touring suspension to lowered with sport dampers.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

For that era (pre-facelift) The R-Design and the T6 with the standard "Dynamic" suspension share the same front strut with the rear shock in the R-Design being monotube versus the twin tube setup in the T6.

The springs in the R-Design dropped an additional 0.6" vs the T6.

Your T5 has the "Touring" suspension, which is the softest setup of the three. You're going to feel a massive difference going from worn Touring suspension to lowered with sport dampers.

you pretty much have me sold! lol currently the car has a kick when i hit larger bump on the hiway

Junior Member Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks's Avatar
      I have a "ching" (like coins) when i go over really bumpy roads coming out of the drivers side, it seems to be a common issue from what I've read on here.

Is this maybe shot endlinks?
      2015.5 Volvo S80 T6 Platinum AWD - Savile Gray Metallic / Off Black In Anthracite - 117,XXX

Titania Diamond Cut and Black Stone - Vredestein Quadrac 5 235/45/18

ISO - One used Fortuna, round, preferably Light Gray

Could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I worry the Bilsteins might ride poorly. They vary a lot in different applications, from supple on some platforms to brutally overdamped in other applications. I had Bilstein Sports on my MKV GTI and they were brutally stiff. They snubbed bumps so aggressively that the car constantly felt like it was hitting sharp bumps even on seemingly smooth highways. I took a pounding in that car for about 40k miles where it felt like my brain was sloshing around in my skull...finally swapped them out for Komi FSDs and was much much happier. On the other hand the Bils for the MK6 GTI were valved differently and were supple enough that a lot of mkv guys bought the mk6-spec Bils. I’ve also driven some cars with Bils that rode incredibly nicely. My point being, I wouldn’t buy them unless I had feedback from other users that they pair well with P3 cars, and I haven’t heard of many people using them on these cars. Buyer beware.

If you want a drop, the Eibachs may not be the right combo. From the few pics I’ve seen, they barely lower the car, possibly the least aggressive drop of any choice available for these cars. H&R Spprts give a nice clean drop, and seem to be the way to go for lowering P3 cars if you aren’t willing to go for coilovers.

If you want more of a drop, with decent ride quality and a big handling improvement, it might be worth looking at the expensive KW V3 option. I’ve been running them for about 60,000 miles and they are still going strong.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements