Fuel additives?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Fuel additives?

Fuel additives?

Anyone add a fuel additives to the tank once in a while? I know GM cars like it for tank sensors and pumps, and all VW for valve trains but anything on the Volvo?
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I believe volvo recommends that you do not. Just use top tier fuels and you should be good.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      I believe volvo recommends that you do not. Just use top tier fuels and you should be good.

No car manufacturer recommends one. And all the stations in USA supposedly have ďtop tierĒ but if they maintain they tanks like they do the washrooms we are in trouble LOL...

Not to mention water and stale fuel when you get 93 octane when most people use 87.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

All stations in the US are absolutely NOT too tier gas stations

2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Where is a good place to find an accurate list of top-tier gas?

I usually purchase mine at Exxon or Tom Thumb/Chevron.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      Where is a good place to find an accurate list of top-tier gas?

I usually purchase mine at Exxon or Tom Thumb/Chevron.

Nora in Florida
      Both great gas stations
      https://toptiergas.com/toptier_detergent_gasoline/

Thank you so much, PuterTech!

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

You are correct,

I guess what I meant and was definitely not clear that there is a top tier gas station on every corner (at least where I live).

But again you are correct not every station is top tier

Here's a visual of how important it is to use Top Tier Fuel according AAA. When I first got my car, I admittedly didn't know this one either. I quickly switched to Top Tier early on and have never looked back. I regularly ensure all gas stations I patronize adhere to top tier standards.

17.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Here's a visual of how important it is to use Top Tier Fuel according AAA. When I first got my car, I admittedly didn't know this one either. I quickly switched to Top Tier early on and have never looked back. I regularly ensure all gas stations I patronize adhere to top tier standards.

17.jpg
      Thank you so much my Volvo S 60! I was not aware of this. Iíll have to admit I almost always have bought top-tier, but there is that occasional time when I would patronize the generic corner store.

Iím going to make it a point to always buy top-tier from now on. The only time around here where you canít be choosy is after a hurricane. For a couple weeks after hurricanes Ivan and Katrina I could not obtain premium grade for my 850R.

I know make sure to fill the tanks of all of my vehicles whenever there is a storm brewing in the gulf. Plus I have on hand several gas cans and preservative in case Iím not going to be using the gas right away.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

The only thing I would *ever* put in the tank other than fuel would be STA-BIL fuel stabilizer if the car had to sit for months for some reason. Absolutely nothing else should ever go in that tank but fuel or stabilizer. Maybe 10 years down the line some seafoam in the tank but these cars are so new nothing like that should be even thought about for ages.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      The only thing I would *ever* put in the tank other than fuel would be STA-BIL fuel stabilizer if the car had to sit for months for some reason. Absolutely nothing else should ever go in that tank but fuel or stabilizer. Maybe 10 years down the line some seafoam in the tank but these cars are so new nothing like that should be even thought about for ages.
      STA-BIL is what I put in all of my gas cans I pre-fill prior to hurricane season. Around here you have to buy that preservative early spring. You canít find it anywhere around during the summer. Probably you could order it online. I have never checked.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

I have another question about fuel. Probably slightly off-topic. I never let my gas tanks go below 1/2. Again mainly habit from hurricane seasons. By doing that Iím always mixing new gas with Old. Is this a bad idea? Should I let the tank go down to a quarter or an eighth prior to fill up?

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

I have another question about fuel. Probably slightly off-topic. I never let my gas tanks go below 1/2. Again mainly habit from hurricane seasons. By doing that Iím always mixing new gas with Old. Is this a bad idea? Should I let the tank go down to a quarter or an eighth prior to fill up?

Nora in Florida
      nah it's fine, if anything keeping the tank more full reduces humidity and condensation and thus keeping the fuel technically cleaner and less opportunity for rust in the tank (though not really an issue on modern cars)
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Thank you Avboden. That eases my mind. It would cause me anxiety to let it go down to a quarter or an eighth every time.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

nah it's fine, if anything keeping the tank more full reduces humidity and condensation and thus keeping the fuel technically cleaner and less opportunity for rust in the tank (though not really an issue on modern cars)
      I just looked in the manual, and the XC40 is only a 14 gallon tank! I am astonished. All the more reason for me to maintain it over half full.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      No car manufacturer recommends one. And all the stations in USA supposedly have ďtop tierĒ but if they maintain they tanks like they do the washrooms we are in trouble LOL...

Not to mention water and stale fuel when you get 93 octane when most people use 87.
      Kia actually recommends you put in the techron additive once with every oil change.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

i think i've gone through 2 tanks of gas in 3mo of ownership; nowhere to go other than short errands and those are 99% electric mode. what's the recommendation for stabil, fuel sitting > 30 days?
      2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered

On my Sonata 2.0T, Hyundai recommended adding Chevron Techron every 3,000 miles if you didn't use top tier gas - I'm not sure if they still recommend this and I only put top tier gas in my S6o.

Thank you so much my Volvo S 60! I was not aware of this. Iíll have to admit I almost always have bought top-tier, but there is that occasional time when I would patronize the generic corner store.

Iím going to make it a point to always buy top-tier from now on. The only time around here where you canít be choosy is after a hurricane. For a couple weeks after hurricanes Ivan and Katrina I could not obtain premium grade for my 850R.

I know make sure to fill the tanks of all of my vehicles whenever there is a storm brewing in the gulf. Plus I have on hand several gas cans and preservative in case Iím not going to be using the gas right away.

Nora in Florida
      You're welcome. I made the same mistake in the beginning, too. As soon as I knew better, I swapped over to top tier. AAA's diagram is irrefutable proof for choosing the right fuel.

Does STA-BIL prevent water from building up in the fuel? I've had plastic gas jugs sit in the garage for mowing grass, and if let sit too long, the fuel seems to go bad. Necessitating it get disposed of.

Does STA-BIL prevent water from building up in the fuel? I've had plastic gas jugs sit in the garage for mowing grass, and if let sit too long, the fuel seems to go bad. Necessitating it get disposed of.
      Yes, that's exactly what it's for. Keeps the water from separating. I always have it in my gas jugs for mower and such.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Yes, that's exactly what it's for. Keeps the water from separating. I always have it in my gas jugs for mower and such.
      Thanks! Good to know for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by superscuba View Post
      i think i've gone through 2 tanks of gas in 3mo of ownership; nowhere to go other than short errands and those are 99% electric mode. what's the recommendation for stabil, fuel sitting > 30 days?
      You really don't need to add anything. It's more important to have a full tank, less space for water to condense. I store three cars all winter long (for the past dozen years or so), 5 months at a clip, and have never used anything, always start right up. Just my experience.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I do add a can of Techron complete fuel system cleaner around every 3k miles or so, along with using Chevron gas (with Techron) almost exclusively. I believe it's cheap maintenance for your valves & fuel system health.

Nora in Florida
      I always try to keep the tank full. For me itís to make sure the pump is cool in the summer and fuel/water donít freeze in the winter.

Although that is impressive, it looks like this was based on a port fuel injected engine, where the fuel spray contacts the back of the valve. Almost all of our modern engines, including the Volvos, are direct injected, fuel never touches the back of the valve so cannot clean it off. Carbon deposits have been a problem on many direct injected engines for that reason, and I think the ability of fuel to keep the valve clean, is no longer there.

I looked up the whole PDF to be sure. They mention direct injection in the summary, but the head pictures at the end, clearly show the test was done on a non-direct injection motor.

I believe volvo recommends that you do not.
      I may well be wrong, but I have always assumed these kinds of recommendations existed because manufacturers saw no need to spend the money to test every fuel additive--or at least the major ones--to assure themselves that they don't do any damage.

I use Techron fuel-system cleaner and Sunoco top-tier 93 octane fuel.

Interestingly, Sunoco is no longer officially a top-tier fueler, though the gasoline hasn't changed. Apparently, you need to pay a licensing fee to say that you are top tier, and Sunoco, as one of a number of pandemic cost-cutting measures, has declined to pay that fee.

I tried a bottle of injector cleaner in both my Volvos (2001 C70 and 202 S80) some three years ago. Both cars ran great before, and had very good mileage. To my surprise, mileage improved significantly (like around 5%) in both cars. These cars are used mostly in France and Switzerland, on medium to longer trips, in rural areas. I put in the medium grade fuel, not the cheapest and not the most expensive (i.e. the middle-grade octane).

Since that practical experience, I add a bottle of Techron to each of my cars once a year, also here in California (where I also put in the medium-grade fuel, except for our BMW Z4 35i that requires the top grade).

For the cars stationed in France and now sitting idle most of each year, I do add a fuel stabilizer before I put them up for the year, to prevent fuel degradation issues, and that has worked well so far.

On the West Coast, Arco and Costco are certified TT, for cheapest price...other supermarket chains are hit-and-miss. Never used any fuel in our Volvos other than TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
      I tried a bottle of injector cleaner in both my Volvos (2001 C70 and 202 S80) some three years ago. Both cars ran great before, and had very good mileage. To my surprise, mileage improved significantly (like around 5%) in both cars. These cars are used mostly in France and Switzerland, on medium to longer trips, in rural areas. I put in the medium grade fuel, not the cheapest and not the most expensive (i.e. the middle-grade octane).

Since that practical experience, I add a bottle of Techron to each of my cars once a year, also here in California (where I also put in the medium-grade fuel, except for our BMW Z4 35i that requires the top grade).

For the cars stationed in France and now sitting idle most of each year, I do add a fuel stabilizer before I put them up for the year, to prevent fuel degradation issues, and that has worked well so far.
      thanks very interesting data !!!

Chevron Techron.

FWIW, owned and put 200K miles on a subaru, ****er would never run right except on Chevron gas in the US, or Esso + Techron in Europe.
      -Red

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements