SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Haha, the sticker shock in the new 'book service' feature in Volvo on Call app

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  DFrantz 
#1 ·
So you can now book service at your "preferred retailer" (funny, mine is missing from the list) and when you do so it shows you the service and the price.

What I was shocked was the WIDE range in prices if you select a different "preferred retailer". The local one was $303.00 for a 100k service. A dealer down the road wants $686!?! for the SAME service!

Another one a few hours away was $330, but then another one just 2 hours from that one was also $686!

If you have the app click around to different dealers and see what I mean.

Sadly the same service at MY preferred retailer is $184. Too bad I can't add it and conveniently schedule it in the app.

#3 ·
I can't answer that, but it makes it super easy now for people to go to their indy....er um "preferred retailer", show them that and say "beat this"

#4 ·
Dealers are “doctor offices” for cars, if the car has “health insurance” a.k.a warranty, then warranty will pay homogeneous discount rates. If the car doesn’t have “health insurance” warranty and and the owner pays cash rate, well....the prices are wild.

#11 ·
My local Volvo dealer doesn't even show up on the list. Also they didn't even honor their online or quoted price for my 50k service saying that XC90 needs additional charges due to full synthetic oil and the quoted prices are for other Volvo vehicles which don't need synthetic oil. Is that usually the case?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
My local Volvo dealer doesn't even show up on the list. Also they didn't even honor their online or quoted price for my 50k service saying that XC90 needs additional charges due to full synthetic oil and the quoted prices are for other Volvo vehicles which don't need synthetic oil. Is that usually the case?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Who is your retailer? You can PM me if you prefer.

#14 ·
Lol, better make sure they are still a Volvo dealer. Some rogues may still not be using xtime.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Well, who cares how you arrive to it you better ultimately arrive at the correct price or you will just lose business showing inflated prices in the app.

#17 ·
The problem is that encourages dishonest advertising. If one place is "inflated" but actually includes all the recommended service and correct oils and the other place is a basic service for older oils etc you'll go buy from the cheap crap place with a lower price even if it's inferior or has a "plus plus" pricing structure. It's certainly possible one place is just charging double, but I'll bet there is more to the story than that.

#18 ·
Though... FWIW my quick sheet shows the 100k full service is $385 in the materials I'm given to use to figure the pre-paid maintenance contracts... so $686 might just be a high price =-D

Is the high one is a city?

#19 · (Edited)
All of these are in a city, there are no rural volvo dealers around here

Also for my P3 100k service it is just a oil change and cabin air filter. No way is that $385 in materials.

#24 ·
Yep, this will be 100% covered. Just ensure the dealer is up front about what’s included. As DFrantz said, some dealers might add in some weird stuff.

10k = Oil change
20k = Oil change and cabin air filter
30k = Oil change

Tire rotates, engine air filter, air induction cleaner, etc might be suggested by the dealer. But those will not be included.

#23 ·
Dealers can also add things to the recommended maintenance... such as alignment or rotation, or smelly stickers. Of course it can be declined. One could look at it as skimming, or one can look at it as customers don't like to think something is free ahead of time and then find out there is more to it. Or they could just list what the cost would be if you're outside the 3 years (some people ignore the once a year requirement.) Hard to know the meaning of any of it without a phone call.

Reactions: RechargeHard
#26 ·
Right, that would make sense.... the problem is that Volvo forces dealers to use crappy web providers... they are freeing it up a little, but it's a corporate forced system, but a dealer run business. Dealt with the same sorta issues when i sold Fords too.... it's 2024, but tech is something that is a struggle for car companies.... The customer expectation is for a global corporate company, but it's run at a local level, on corporate required one sized fits all awful software. Not that Volvo's own website is all that amazing either...

Reactions: RechargeHard