2020 V60cc: Fuel Pump failure
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2020 V60cc: Fuel Pump failure

So, 12K miles on my Volvo - driving from Florida to CA and my fuel pump failed while I was at Zion National Park. Had to get towed to Las Vegas, which was the nearest dealer. Good thing it was in the same direction I was heading. Of course Volvo paid for the tow. It turns out the fuel pump was drawing too many amps and blew out the 15 amp fuse. The dealer replaced the fuse and the fuse blew again after the car ran for a few minutes. A new pump was ordered. Meanwhile had to rent a car to get to CA. I will need to drive back to LV to drop off rental and pick up my car. Findlay Volvo of Las Vegas: great customer service so far. Since this was a trip interruption and I was towed through Volvo roadside assistance, Volvo will reimburse up to $500 of costs associated with the cost of the trip interruption. So my rental and gas back to LV will be paid by Volvo.

Still, a fuel pump failure! I have to say I am lucky it happened in Zion. I was in some very remote places, like Valley of the Gods. If it happened there: no cell service, few cars and who knows how long I would have had to wait to be towed.

My NOX failed with 84 miles on the car. Hope there aren't any more gremlins lurking in the car. Overall, the car did really well. Used the off-road mode several times. AWD got me out of a few sandy situations, but I personally would not take this car anywhere that requires high clearance. This trip has made me realize that the sidewall height on these 19" tires does not give you confidence on really bad roads. I may need to rethink tire size when these tires have to be replaced.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GordonCs View Post
      So, 12K miles on my Volvo - driving from Florida to CA and my fuel pump failed while I was at Zion National Park. Had to get towed to Las Vegas, which was the nearest dealer. Good thing it was in the same direction I was heading. Of course Volvo paid for the tow. It turns out the fuel pump was drawing too many amps and blew out the 15 amp fuse. The dealer replaced the fuse and the fuse blew again after the car ran for a few minutes. A new pump was ordered. Meanwhile had to rent a car to get to CA. I will need to drive back to LV to drop off rental and pick up my car. Findlay Volvo of Las Vegas: great customer service so far. Since this was a trip interruption and I was towed through Volvo roadside assistance, Volvo will reimburse up to $500 of costs associated with the cost of the trip interruption. So my rental and gas back to LV will be paid by Volvo.

Still, a fuel pump failure! I have to say I am lucky it happened in Zion. I was in some very remote places, like Valley of the Gods. If it happened there: no cell service, few cars and who knows how long I would have had to wait to be towed.

My NOX failed with 84 miles on the car. Hope there aren't any more gremlins lurking in the car. Overall, the car did really well. Used the off-road mode several times. AWD got me out of a few sandy situations, but I personally would not take this car anywhere that requires high clearance. This trip has made me realize that the sidewall height on these 19" tires does not give you confidence on really bad roads. I may need to rethink tire size when these tires have to be replaced.
      This sucks and glad you made it out relatively okay, sucks regardless.

My only question would be the cause of the failure ? Have you been driving on low fuel 1/4 tank and less a longer time? Or maybe just for bad fuel.

Have they done any testing or just ordered new pump and call it a day?

In one month now I made the 3k round trip to FL myself. Happily zero issues other then sometimes the CarPlay just stops and it tells me “plug in supported device” or some BS and I have to unplug and plug in the phone again but no issues comparing to the level of yours.

Good luck
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Stuff happens! Make so many hundreds of thousands of pumps, some are bound to have issues. Glad Volvo is making it right.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Depending on codes, they may need to replace the fuel pump control module, not the pump.

Sorry about your car. Zion is beautiful - probably my favorite of the 4 parks we visited a couple of years ago.

I am surprised there is no dealer closer than Vegas, like in St George but I didn't see a lot of Volvos when we were there, lol.

I used to rent Cross Countries a fair amount when I traveled a lot - mostly day trips so keeping the miles off my car. One time the thing just died on the side of the Mass Pike - it was a fuel pump issue, this was probably 20 years ago.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      This sucks and glad you made it out relatively okay, sucks regardless.

My only question would be the cause of the failure ? Have you been driving on low fuel 1/4 tank and less a longer time? Or maybe just for bad fuel.

Have they done any testing or just ordered new pump and call it a day?

In one month now I made the 3k round trip to FL myself. Happily zero issues other then sometimes the CarPlay just stops and it tells me “plug in supported device” or some BS and I have to unplug and plug in the phone again but no issues comparing to the level of yours.

Good luck
      I've had some connection issues as well with Apple CarPlay.
      I don't usually let fuel level go below 1/4 tank. Dealer said the fuel pump was drawing too many amps and blew out the 15 amp fuse. So who knows what actually caused that problem. I've been careful about the gas I am buying. I'm from Florida so I hope you enjoyed your trip there. Really don't like that Ethanol is mandated for all fuels in FL. INMO, Ethanol is just wrong on so many levels as a fuel additive.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

I've found any carplay connection issues i've had have been 100% cable or phone related. Make sure your cable is plugged in fully inside the center console, it can back out even a tiny tiny bit and make carplay unreliable. If it stays unreliable try a new cable. Aftermarket lightning cables can be unreliable data-wise. Also i've found my phone (iphone SE, first gen) gets wonky with carplay unless, for whatever reason, I fully reboot the phone roughly once-weekly, but after a reboot it stays really reliable for a while.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      I've found any carplay connection issues i've had have been 100% cable or phone related. Make sure your cable is plugged in fully inside the center console, it can back out even a tiny tiny bit and make carplay unreliable. If it stays unreliable try a new cable. Aftermarket lightning cables can be unreliable data-wise. Also i've found my phone (iphone SE, first gen) gets wonky with carplay unless, for whatever reason, I fully reboot the phone roughly once-weekly, but after a reboot it stays really reliable for a while.
      Thanks I’ll give that a try. The cable is Apple but will definitely try the other items you suggested. Thanks
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements