Charging Cost and PURE mode
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Charging Cost and PURE mode

I am in California and on a rate plan of $0.24/KWh (non-peak) and $.31/KWh (Peak).

I am assuming everytime I charge the 11.6KWh battery, I am spending anywhere between $2.88 - $3.72 for electricity that gets me around town for about 18-20 miles. Though driving in PURE mode may seem like a good option (at least to me), unless the gas (91) prices go above $3.72, then it's not really that cost effective. My other car (AUDI Q7, gets me around 19 mpg) around town. More on the freeway.

The Volvo does get me more overall MPG, I refilled for the first time today, I think the actual mileage was around 38.8 MPG even though the sensus driver performance says it's 42 MPG. Still pretty good, I am happy. Lovely car and fuel efficient!

So not really a big difference with PURE mode or am I missing something?
      2017 XC 90 T8. Magic Blue Metallic. Amber.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Your electricity rate seems double what it should be. I’m sure your electricity utility company has discounts and offers for electric car charging. Here in LA, we pay 0.16/Kw base rate.

Please note that while the battery's total capacity is 11.6 kWh the owner can only access some portion of that for a whole host of reasons as determined by Volvo. This is standard among any PHEV and BEV automaker. You'll have to research what the true usable kWh is to get an accurate charging cost.

Better yet, your charging app can tell you how much energy you have charged your battery each time you charge.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Like others said, you can only use ~70% of the battery in PURE mode. So, lower the charge cost 30%.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

I prefer to battery driving at low speed. Even fuel price is quite low now and could be lower as people refuel less often for many reasons.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Based on my 80% local driving I am averaging more than 70 mpg overall. In the first few monthly electric bills, I am guessing that my actual increase there is in the $10-15 per month so far. It isn't for financial reasons that I am enjoying getting crazy gas mpg. After 30 years plus being an Acura loyal fan, this vehicle has changed that. Truly remarkable ride.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

I don't worry.much about electricity costs as I equate that expense to lighting an electric kettle to make a cup of coffee.

We really dont count the number of coffee cups we have a day, yet we absorb such costs as part of our normal monthly charges.

That way, in short distances, I regard Pure mode driving as driving for free just as I don't count coffee cups but ensure I have enough beans to last me a month

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      Your electricity rate seems double what it should be. I’m sure your electricity utility company has discounts and offers for electric car charging. Here in LA, we pay 0.16/Kw base rate.
      He’s further over stating his drive on Pure costs By counting his T8s battery capacity rather than used energy. If he used his VOC or app of his home or public EVSE he’d notice he wasn’t really storing or charging anywhere near 11.6kWhr per charge. The capacity available under Pure is perhaps 70-75% of that. As an example, of my T8s 9.4kWh battery I typically restore 6.4 - not the full capacity after driving in Pure for a full cycle. There’s plenty information about this and how the system uses the battery in the manual and more on Volvo Owner support pages on their website to help explain available capacity.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Hi Matt,

Per other comments, your available battery is much less than 11.6kWh. While this varies depending on the year, your usage capacity should be around 8.9kWh.

In my experience, Sensus is always wrong and typically underestimates MPG.

In southern California, SCE’s off-peak rates vary from 0.10 – 0.25.

On average, we pay $1.50 to drive our T8 for the first 20 miles.

If you are an SCE customer, you can qualify for an EV rate discount, and a PHEV/EV purchase rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      He’s further over stating his drive on Pure costs By counting his T8s battery capacity rather than used energy. If he used his VOC or app of his home or public EVSE he’d notice he wasn’t really storing or charging anywhere near 11.6kWhr per charge. The capacity available under Pure is perhaps 70-75% of that. As an example, of my T8s 9.4kWh battery I typically restore 6.4 - not the full capacity after driving in Pure for a full cycle. There’s plenty information about this and how the system uses the battery in the manual and more on Volvo Owner support pages on their website to help explain available capacity.
      Thanks. Where in the Volvo app do you see how many KWh were used for charging the battery?
      2017 XC 90 T8. Magic Blue Metallic. Amber.

VoC doesn’t show what you added when charging. Only what you consumed. Pretty close though to what my ChargePoint shows.

2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      VoC doesn’t show what you added when charging. Only what you consumed. Pretty close though to what my ChargePoint shows.

He'll need more handholding than this if you follow all of his posts
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements