Charging while driving
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Charging while driving

Does anyone know If it negatively impacts your mileage if you charge the battery when driving. I have a long highway drive and wondered if I am better to have it charge while on the highway so I can use electric when going through towns, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sailordavid View Post
      Does anyone know If it negatively impacts your mileage if you charge the battery when driving. I have a long highway drive and wondered if I am better to have it charge while on the highway so I can use electric when going through towns, etc.
      Of course it does; it uses the gas engine and extra energy to power the battery, it's no longer in hybrid mode when you use the charge mode.
      On highway, let the car in hybrid mode, it will not be in its most efficient mode anyway.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Thanks. I had wondered if when you are traveling 65+ if the engine was already generating enough power that it could charge the battery without additional load in the engine. Sounds like that is not the case.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

At freeway speed the engine is quite efficient and doesn't generate more than enough power. I'd think at low speed, engine could charge the battery while running at optimal RPM.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      At freeway speed the engine is quite efficient and doesn't generate more than enough power. I'd think at low speed, engine could charge the battery while running at optimal RPM.

If I am traveling at a steady 50-65 mph for a distance with a low hybrid charge, I will turn on the hybrid charge knowing that I will low speed in town driving ~ 25 + ahead. Anything above 65, I would not use charge. It would be useful if the VOC app had more of that data to understand the real efficiencies.

I am not worried about being underpowered.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

I travel from Morris county NJ to Bucks and Montgomery counties in PA for work several times a month. I have 16 locations in PA that I have responsibilities for. Some trips I just stop at one location. Other times I may have to visit 4-5 in one day and itís on those days I charge when moving greater than 45mph.

Thereís a small 1-2mpg cost for doing so while the charge is happening but having +15 miles or so of electric power once off the highways more than makes up for it.

Some of my work sites are scheduled to get EV charging stations later this year. Iím pretty excited for that and will probably stop charging on my way there.

I charge while driving a little on the return trip. Just enough to get me 3-4 miles off the highway to my home. Once I have enough range, I put the battery on hold until Iím off the highway

If Iím just going to one site and then back home, the Predictive Efficiencies feature works really well. Always +35 mpg for ~150+ mile trips.

2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sailordavid View Post
      Thanks. I had wondered if when you are traveling 65+ if the engine was already generating enough power that it could charge the battery without additional load in the engine. Sounds like that is not the case.
      Charging off the ICE engages the ISG (think of it as a dynamo). Storing energy isn't free unless you're coasting to slow down in B or going downhill. But then again it cost energy to get you up to speed anyway or up hill in the first please, so I guess that wasn't free either
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Charging while driving

I understand that the MY16 XC90s do not have the predictive efficiencies feature. It might have required a Sensus hardware upgrade - maybe starting with MY18s. Does anyone know for certain? My memory is waning.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post

I've noticed charging is quickest and seemingly more optimal at 60-70mph. Plus at highway speeds is where ICE beats ERAD in energy use. ERAD is most efficient at 35-40mph.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Especially, when you drive to charge the battery, you could get into trouble because it can put extra load on auxiliary belt and it is the belt that helps to drive alternator and it is worn, then it could break under these circumstances. May be you know that aux belt drives components such as water pumps, power steering and cooling fan and if it breaks, you can have an idea what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      I've noticed charging is quickest and seemingly more optimal at 60-70mph. Plus at highway speeds is where ICE beats ERAD in energy use. ERAD is most efficient at 35-40mph.
      Charging is quicker because computer think you want quicker charge as you put it in charge mode. It doesn't mean more efficient.
      Usually ICE is most efficient around 2000RPM but I haven't seen a diagram showing efficiency versus RPM.
      Anyhow I usually don't use charge mode.

ERAD of course is the choice at low speed with battery energy. But when battery is low and ICE is charging the battery, e-motor is not powered.
      Another case is at idle, between 900RPM idling and 1500RPM idling and charging battery, maybe the latter is more efficient overall. Of course this is just my guess.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 07-01-2020 at 11:40 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements