Is it possible to inject audio into the stock radio of an '07 XC90 radio?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Is it possible to inject audio into the stock radio of an '07 XC90 radio?

I am currently working on making a custom big(ger) screen radio for my MY07 XC90 and I am wondering if I can somehow inject my own audio into the stock radio of the car. The car is equipped with the base audio system, which Volvo calls performance audio (I think), with the single CD unit.

The main plan is to use the AUX input but I have three problems with this approach:
      • I can't switch to the AUX through the CANBUS, even though I can basically switch to any other input. My best way around this is to switch to a known input source (e.g. CD) and then, using the GPIOs from a microcontroller, replicate the signals of the rotary encoder of the source knob, tricking the ICM into thinking someone is turning the knob and thus changing the source. This means I would have to splice into the cables of the button module or solder wires directly to the ICM board. I don't really want to do this since I want to keep modifications on the stock equipment to a minimum (which I'm hoping is going to be zero).
      • I would like to keep the audio signal digital as long as possible, ideally all the way to the stock AMP, letting it handle the conversion to analog.
      • If I can, I would like to have at least 4 channel audio output. This is more of a "nice to have" feature than "a must", but you know, go big or go home.

I am guessing this might be possible by hacking into the cd player (IAM), since that is the module that Grom and Dension seem to be mimicking with their products, but I would like some reassurance before I crack it open.

So, do you guys know of a way I can do this?

If anyone is curious, below is an image of my actual hardware progress so far, along with a render of what it will look like... hopefully:

The screen frame is actually supposed to be glossy black, like the render, but didn't check the spray can label which said it has metallic flakes. I'll post a thread about the project when I finish it, hopefully people will be interested.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

well this probably won't help with what u are doing, but i have a extra wire harness form scosche of xc90 i will sell for cheep

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
      well this probably won't help with what u are doing, but i have a extra wire harness form scosche of xc90 i will sell for cheep
      I'd rather have spares at hand if I decide to cut into the harness, so you never know when it might come in handy.

Edit: I just google "scosche" because I wasn't sure what you meant by that. It's not clear from the descriptions on Amazon, but I can see what looks like a 3.5mm audio jack. I know from the wiring schematics that the AUX cable feeds into the IAM. Do you happen to know if your harness would allow me to connect to the AUX pins while still keeping the IAM?

Up until now I was considering disconnecting the stock aux plug cable from the IAM by removing the pins from the connector and just tape them to the wire bundle to keep them out of the way. This would allow me to crimp and add my own cables to the connector without having to splice into the wires. This would also be completely reversible. BUT, if I can use one of those scosche harnesses, it would save me a lot of time.

It's also not quite clear how that harness could work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the audio streamed on the fiber optic MOST network? I can't tell how the harness ties into that.
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 06-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by i.rosca80 View Post
      It's also not quite clear how that harness could work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the audio streamed on the fiber optic MOST network? I can't tell how the harness ties into that.
      I think you may be right. Does yours have the amplifier under the passenger seat? The connections there tell the whole story, There have to be a minimum of 4 line-level audio input wires feeding the amp. I think you may be a few levels of expertise above me, but I tried to discover ways to utilize the factory amp as well, but ultimately, reinventing the wheel was beyond me. In the final analysis, I have more performance and a greater variety of capabilities than I could ever re-engineer into the archaic Volvo audio system.
      I simply gave up and did it the common way: Re-route the speaker cables to the center console and connect up to my after-market Android stereo, stuff the original control pieces behind the console. It's in-elegant, but it works great. My ATOTO A6 has enough power to blast me out of the car, has a built in EQ, and the worst thing is that I have a bunch of IAM codes in VIDA because stuff is disconnected. I wish I could program the original audio out of the CEM, but haven't discovered a way. It's out of sight and out of mind.
      All things considered, I would love to have a big screen like in your picture. In marine electronics, we have "Black Box" versions of plotters and radars. Maybe drive that screen with a black box android unit? Not a clue if such a thing exists.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Amazing work on this!
      My understanding is the GROM and all those units would still require you to emulate the control knob such that it can be set to CD (I think you can read the status via CANBUS). Have you looked at VIDA if there's any testing mode you can emulate that instructs the ICM to listen to the AUX input?
      We could also look how my 2013 injects Bluetooth audio into the system. They added it after the fact late in the game, they must have taken the path of least resistance to implement it.

Let me know if you need any avenue researched further.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

My guess is you’re leaving the ICM connected. The keypad doesn’t need to be connected, just the screen itself. Set it to AUX and use steering wheel to control volume. But it’s not a very elegant solution. I got sick of it fast and went back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      I think you may be right. Does yours have the amplifier under the passenger seat? The connections there tell the whole story, There have to be a minimum of 4 line-level audio input wires feeding the amp. I think you may be a few levels of expertise above me, but I tried to discover ways to utilize the factory amp as well, but ultimately, reinventing the wheel was beyond me. In the final analysis, I have more performance and a greater variety of capabilities than I could ever re-engineer into the archaic Volvo audio system.
      I simply gave up and did it the common way: Re-route the speaker cables to the center console and connect up to my after-market Android stereo, stuff the original control pieces behind the console. It's in-elegant, but it works great. My ATOTO A6 has enough power to blast me out of the car, has a built in EQ, and the worst thing is that I have a bunch of IAM codes in VIDA because stuff is disconnected. I wish I could program the original audio out of the CEM, but haven't discovered a way. It's out of sight and out of mind.
      All things considered, I would love to have a big screen like in your picture. In marine electronics, we have "Black Box" versions of plotters and radars. Maybe drive that screen with a black box android unit? Not a clue if such a thing exists.
      Yes, the amp is under the passanger seat. As far as I can tell, the cables connect all 9 speakers, the rear headphone plugs and the CEM. The rest of the signals from the CD player, the GPS, etc. all seem to go through the fiber optic MOST network. According to the wiring schematic from VIDA, even the subwoofer is connected by MOST (assuming I am reading it correctly ).

If I succeed, I will post a thread on how I did it, complete with part numbers and 3d models for printing. I guess you could maybe hook up the A6 to the bigger screen through HDMI or something.

Did you manage to keep the parking sensors and chimes?
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 06-29-2020 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrstnBrtt View Post
      My guess is you’re leaving the ICM connected. The keypad doesn’t need to be connected, just the screen itself. Set it to AUX and use steering wheel to control volume. But it’s not a very elegant solution. I got sick of it fast and went back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, I am leaving the ICM in place. I was kind of hoping the screen doesn't need to be connected as the board itself is much smaller and it is easier to zip tie it somewhere so that it doesn't rattle about. I already took the ICM apart... I'll try to see if it works without the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      Amazing work on this!
      My understanding is the GROM and all those units would still require you to emulate the control knob such that it can be set to CD (I think you can read the status via CANBUS). Have you looked at VIDA if there's any testing mode you can emulate that instructs the ICM to listen to the AUX input?
      We could also look how my 2013 injects Bluetooth audio into the system. They added it after the fact late in the game, they must have taken the path of least resistance to implement it.

Let me know if you need any avenue researched further.
      Thanks! I got myself a VIDA DICE tool from the usual retailers of Asian origin. With it I can switch to whatever input I want except AUX . I suspect this is because the AUX input is the only one without a dedicated physical button. I had a CANBUS sniffer connected and was able to get the CAN frames to switch the inputs so I tried changing some bits in the hopes that I might just find the right combination to switch to the AUX input, but I either wasn't able to guess it or there isn't a CAN message that does this to begin with. Details about this in a future thread once I finish it.

It would be very interesting to know how they added bluetooth to the system, it could prove to be the best approach. I'd appreciate more info on the topic.
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 06-29-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Thanks! I got myself a VIDA DICE tool from the usual retailers of Asian origin. With it I can switch to whatever input I want except AUX . I suspect this is because the AUX input is the only one without a dedicated physical button. I had a CANBUS sniffer connected and was able to get the CAN frames to switch the inputs so I tried changing some bits in the hopes that I might just find the right combination to switch to the AUX input, but I either wasn't able to guess it or there isn't a CAN message that does this to begin with. Details about this in a future thread once I finish it.

It would be very interesting to know how they added bluetooth to the system, it could prove to be the best approach. I'd appreciate more info on the topic.
      I'll see if I can get a CAN bus dev board I loaned out. Now I'm curious how they implemented Bluetooth... Maybe look at my 2013 system diagram in VIDA. I'll see if there's any extra diagnostic modes for my Bluetooth ICM. I know other people have tapped into the AM RX module and turned into an AUX input. You could trigger that easily via CAN... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQg6tRecjLk

That makes a lot of sense on the buttons. I've found almost every button is actionable via CAN on Volvos... https://www.vivaperformance.com/canb...nder-cfe-obd2/ is proof.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      I'll see if I can get a CAN bus dev board I loaned out. Now I'm curious how they implemented Bluetooth... Maybe look at my 2013 system diagram in VIDA. I'll see if there's any extra diagnostic modes for my Bluetooth ICM. I know other people have tapped into the AM RX module and turned into an AUX input. You could trigger that easily via CAN... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQg6tRecjLk

That makes a lot of sense on the buttons. I've found almost every button is actionable via CAN on Volvos... https://www.vivaperformance.com/canb...nder-cfe-obd2/ is proof.
      Regarding the bluetooth, according to VIDA, it looks like the audio is streamed on the MOST network, just like all other sounds. I guess that makes sense. Had I had a bluetooth module equiped as stock, it might've been interesting to open it and see if something like that AM module hack could be done. Speaking of which, the description says that the circuitry changed in 2006. Looking through VIDA, there are two radio antennas. Both are amplified and the signal is passed to the IAM through a coax cable, which to me means that I can't inject any audio unless I do it straight into the IAM module where I assume the FM/AM signal is being decoded. Which is what brings me to this forum

I've looked through the activations on VIDA and the source knob isn't there, so I guess that's that.

Yes, the amp is under the passanger seat. As far as I can tell, the cables connect all 9 speakers, the rear headphone plugs and the CEM. The rest of the signals from the CD player, the GPS, etc. all seem to go through the fiber optic MOST network. According to the wiring schematic from VIDA, even the subwoofer is connected by MOST (assuming I am reading it correctly ).

If I succeed, I will post a thread on how I did it, complete with part numbers and 3d models for printing. I guess you could maybe hook up the A6 to the bigger screen through HDMI or something.

Did you manage to keep the parking sensors and chimes?
      I looked at the schematic, also, and I agree that all signal processing (DAC) must take place in the amp. Both CANBUS and MOST chat with the amp. I don't know what all the CANBUS has to say, but the first two are likely SWC and reverse signal.
      My XC90 had an aftermarket back-up sensor from the dealer, still working well independent of the audio system. Oddly, there was an earlier back-up sensor that maybe didn't work well left in place, but disconnected. I like the back up sensor, because it's a good alert when a person in a parking lot suddenly steps in my path, or is cutting diagonally across the lane. Bear in mind that you will have a back-up camera, so that will help. ATOTO has an accessory panoramic effect camera that could be more effective.
      There's another thread (or 30) about aftermarket stereo adds, and apparently AXXess has a black box that does the SWC and the back-up sensors with an add-on speaker.
      More info on this thread:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-backup-camera

The A6, for one, does not have HDMI out, or video out. The trick would be to get the touch screen working. There are used A6's on eBay at reasonable prices if you want to open one up. Mine has little buttons for controls that are absolutely never used. The touch screen, yes. it would make a good "Black Box" unit because physical interaction is pretty much unnecessary. I once installed a 10" chartplotter/radar/sounder in a yacht that was concealed in an overhead. It drove a standard CD monitor and control was by RF remote.
      Last edited by Capndirk; 06-29-2020 at 12:26 PM.
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Regarding the bluetooth, according to VIDA, it looks like the audio is streamed on the MOST network, just like all other sounds. I guess that makes sense. Had I had a bluetooth module equiped as stock, it might've been interesting to open it and see if something like that AM module hack could be done. Speaking of which, the description says that the circuitry changed in 2006. Looking through VIDA, there are two radio antennas. Both are amplified and the signal is passed to the IAM through a coax cable, which to me means that I can't inject any audio unless I do it straight into the IAM module where I assume the FM/AM signal is being decoded. Which is what brings me to this forum

I've looked through the activations on VIDA and the source knob isn't there, so I guess that's that.
      If you're thinking bluetooth for the '07, I think the bluetooth for that one, like my '09, was the accessory hands free. I had (have, in a box) that one and it did not play audio over the phone/BT connection. Even then, that unit was not stereo and played phone audio only on one channel. presumably only the driver's side per market. The majority of the connections were a plug into the amp. then another plug under the cluster area. I don't know for sure, but that may have been power.
      The 2013 would be a horse of another color. My wife's '13 S60 has BT audio capability, so that market year stepped up.

I looked at the schematic, also, and I agree that all signal processing (DAC) must take place in the amp. Both CANBUS and MOST chat with the amp. I don't know what all the CANBUS has to say, but the first two are likely SWC and reverse signal.
      My XC90 had an aftermarket back-up sensor from the dealer, still working well independent of the audio system. Oddly, there was an earlier back-up sensor that maybe didn't work well left in place, but disconnected. I like the back up sensor, because it's a good alert when a person in a parking lot suddenly steps in my path, or is cutting diagonally across the lane. Bear in mind that you will have a back-up camera, so that will help. ATOTO has an accessory panoramic effect camera that could be more effective.
      There's another thread (or 30) about aftermarket stereo adds, and apparently AXXess has a black box that does the SWC and the back-up sensors with an add-on speaker.
      More info on this thread:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-backup-camera

The A6, for one, does not have HDMI out, or video out. The trick would be to get the touch screen working. There are used A6's on eBay at reasonable prices if you want to open one up. Mine has little buttons for controls that are absolutely never used. The touch screen, yes. it would make a good "Black Box" unit because physical interaction is pretty much unnecessary. I once installed a 10" chartplotter/radar/sounder in a yacht that was concealed in an overhead. It drove a standard CD monitor and control was by RF remote.
      Mine has factory rear and "almost factory" front sensors, complimentary of someone's insurance after they backed up up into the 2 ton SUV behind them that they didn't see. I suppose I could replace them with aftermarket ones but I'd like to try and keep the stock ones if I can. It already turns on automatically, plays through the front speakers for the front sensors, through the rear for the rear, lowers the volume of everything else when it comes on and I get to control it with the button in the climate panel.
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 06-30-2020 at 12:01 AM.

If you're thinking bluetooth for the '07, I think the bluetooth for that one, like my '09, was the accessory hands free. I had (have, in a box) that one and it did not play audio over the phone/BT connection. Even then, that unit was not stereo and played phone audio only on one channel. presumably only the driver's side per market. The majority of the connections were a plug into the amp. then another plug under the cluster area. I don't know for sure, but that may have been power.
      The 2013 would be a horse of another color. My wife's '13 S60 has BT audio capability, so that market year stepped up.
      I was thinking of the '13 model year. Regarding the '07 BT, I guess that made sense at the time. Handsfree bluetooth protocol is craptacular even today. The 2013 probably used A2DP for stereo audio streaming. Regardless, it's via MOST so unless someone figured out how to inject audio on MOST, I don't think it's worth the time and equipment.

Mine has factory rear and "almost factory" front sensors, complimentary of someone's insurance after they backed up up into the 2 ton SUV behind them that they didn't see. I suppose I could replace them with aftermarket ones but I'd like to try and keep the stock ones if I can. It already turns on automatically, plays through the front speakers for the front sensors, through the rear for the rear, lowers the volume of everything else when it comes on and I get to control it with the button in the climate panel.
      You can keep the factory back-up, but it won't ding through the speakers. HERE is a link to Axxess products for installation of aftermarket gear including steering wheel controls, back up sensors, wire pigtails, and more. Be sure and read the product guides and installation instructions for the different variants, The product descriptions are somewhat meager.
      I have the SWC interface, works fine.

If you want to keep the factory reverse sensors and replace the radio, get an AEM.

The AEM breaks out many signals from the CAN bus into discrete signals, used in countries where the factory radio wasn’t fitted.

Of course, like anything, it needs programming

If you want a MOST interface, look at the guys in Russia. They made a MOST interface to allow an external analogue amplifier to be fitted instead of the stock amplifier. They may also have done more work. Google MOST interface for Vovol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can keep the factory back-up, but it won't ding through the speakers. HERE is a link to Axxess products for installation of aftermarket gear including steering wheel controls, back up sensors, wire pigtails, and more. Be sure and read the product guides and installation instructions for the different variants, The product descriptions are somewhat meager.
      I have the SWC interface, works fine.
      Thanks for the links. I actually plan on adding some features to my radio which require info from the CANBUS and/or LIN, such as GPS long / lat. If I connect to the CANBUS for that data, I might as well read the steering wheel controls from there as well.

Why do you say it won't ding? I don't plan on removing the stock radio.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      If you want to keep the factory reverse sensors and replace the radio, get an AEM.

The AEM breaks out many signals from the CAN bus into discrete signals, used in countries where the factory radio wasn’t fitted.

Of course, like anything, it needs programming

If you want a MOST interface, look at the guys in Russia. They made a MOST interface to allow an external analogue amplifier to be fitted instead of the stock amplifier. They may also have done more work. Google MOST interface for Vovol.

I am currently looking at ways of controlling the parking heater remotely and I might need to get an AEM to start it. I don't know yet whether I can just replicate the signals the AEM sends to start the heater without needing the AEM to be physically present, so I might end up getting one.

Regarding the MOST interface, just to be clear, I want to inject audio into the stock amplifier, not replace it. I have seen MOST interfaces with AUX and bluetooth support, such as this one but they don't specify how many audio channels they actually support. If it's just stereo, then I'll just use the existing AUX port on the car without spending $200 or more for the MOST interface and other components such as the Parrot kit. I guess it would be interesting to get a used one to open it up and see how it works.

Why do you say it won't ding? I don't plan on removing the stock radio.
      If the original radio works as before, it will continue to ding through the speakers.

I am currently looking at ways of controlling the parking heater remotely and I might need to get an AEM to start it. I don't know yet whether I can just replicate the signals the AEM sends to start the heater without needing the AEM to be physically present, so I might end up getting one.

Regarding the MOST interface, just to be clear, I want to inject audio into the stock amplifier, not replace it. I have seen MOST interfaces with AUX and bluetooth support, such as this one but they don't specify how many audio channels they actually support. If it's just stereo, then I'll just use the existing AUX port on the car without spending $200 or more for the MOST interface and other components such as the Parrot kit. I guess it would be interesting to get a used one to open it up and see how it works.
      The easiest way to remote control the parking heater is with the CFE Plus. The Can Bus Function Extender gives you many many more functions, one of which i the ability to start the parking heater with the vehicles remote control.

For audio the easiest is to use the aux in

I'd rather have spares at hand if I decide to cut into the harness, so you never know when it might come in handy.

Edit: I just google "scosche" because I wasn't sure what you meant by that. It's not clear from the descriptions on Amazon, but I can see what looks like a 3.5mm audio jack. I know from the wiring schematics that the AUX cable feeds into the IAM. Do you happen to know if your harness would allow me to connect to the AUX pins while still keeping the IAM?

Up until now I was considering disconnecting the stock aux plug cable from the IAM by removing the pins from the connector and just tape them to the wire bundle to keep them out of the way. This would allow me to crimp and add my own cables to the connector without having to splice into the wires. This would also be completely reversible. BUT, if I can use one of those scosche harnesses, it would save me a lot of time.

https://www.scosche.com/car-stereo-connector/lpvo25 here is a link to the harness that i have. message me if u want more info on it, i did not see your post till now sorry.
      i would be looking for less half what they sell there's for.
      Last edited by macro; 07-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Yes, it’s possible. I installed a Parrot MKi9200 a few years ago using their wiring harness. That allows the Parrot device to ‘take over’ the audio signal. It added Bluetooth, Aux input, hands-free calling, and SD card audio capability to the car. I’m not sure if that helps you with what you’re doing, since it looks like you have another device already in mind.

I just ordered the system from https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444546715858068. Seems like it can do everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dignus View Post
      I just ordered the system from https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444546715858068. Seems like it can do everything you want.
      I've seen this pop up here and there on search results. Some from russian websites, some from asian websites, but I've never seen a price or a place which actually sells it and has it in stock. The facebook group you linked is private so I can't really see how you ordered it from there.

Also, I don't think I can modify it to do everything I want, in the long run. I'll be implementing several niceties with the help of the radio, such as lowering the mirror when parking by pressing a button and automatically revert them to the normal position, fold the mirrors when locking the car but only if the outside temperature is above a certain value so that they don't freeze in the folded position (which I had happened), reading the GPS coordinates straight from the car's canbus so that I don't have to add a separate antenna and GPS, etc.
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 07-25-2020 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeycmsu View Post
      Yes, it’s possible. I installed a Parrot MKi9200 a few years ago using their wiring harness. That allows the Parrot device to ‘take over’ the audio signal. It added Bluetooth, Aux input, hands-free calling, and SD card audio capability to the car. I’m not sure if that helps you with what you’re doing, since it looks like you have another device already in mind.
      It would help if I could find out if it can output audio with more than two channels, 5.1 surround sound. If it can only do stereo, it's easier to just tap into the aux port.
      Last edited by i.rosca80; 07-25-2020 at 02:41 AM.

Tapping into the AM RX module seemed to be the best option, however I can't confirm that would work on my model year. It is my understanding that the RX module converts the AM radio signal into an analogue audio signal which then gets converted to digital and sent over MOST. That's why this method works, because it allows you to hijack that analogue audio signal before it gets sent on the MOST network. My concern is that my car's radio antenna plugs straight into the IAM. Why would the IAM need the antenna signal if the audio is already present on the MOST network from the roof module at the back of the car?

I am guessing they changed in later model years so that the IAM does the radio demodulating. I therefore tried taking apart the IAM but, even though I removed all visible screws, I wasn't able to pry the metal case open.

In any case, I haven't heard of any 5.1 radio stations and since the RX module hack only required two cables (for the two audio channels) to inject audio, it's all just stereo anyway. As such, I will stick to using the AUX input. It seems to be the easiest way.

I am an electronics tech that spent many many years repairing car audio. The AM and FM receivers (both anlog by the way) are fitted inside the IAM on a 2007 and later model years.
      The IAM is nothing more than a normal car radio with AM, FM and CD player. It just doesn’t have a display or buttons built in, and the output is MOST.

You can if you wish locate the AM tuner audio output and find where it goes into the analog audio switching chip.

One you pull the lid off, you can see the chips and you should easily find the audio switcher.

The AM side will be a stereo audio input, and you can cut the PCB tracks and feed in your external audio. If you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      I am an electronics tech that spent many many years repairing car audio. The AM and FM receivers (both anlog by the way) are fitted inside the IAM on a 2007 and later model years.
      The IAM is nothing more than a normal car radio with AM, FM and CD player. It just doesn’t have a display or buttons built in, and the output is MOST.

You can if you wish locate the AM tuner audio output and find where it goes into the analog audio switching chip.

One you pull the lid off, you can see the chips and you should easily find the audio switcher.

The AM side will be a stereo audio input, and you can cut the PCB tracks and feed in your external audio. If you wish.

That does sound quite promissing but would only be worth doing if I can inject more than two channels, 5.1 sound for example. Otherwise It's easier to just use the aux input. Do you happen to have any ideas on how I might be able to do that?

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements