2011 S60 T6 Cooling Issues
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2011 S60 T6 Cooling Issues

Been having problems with the cooling system (mainly cooling fan) in my 2011 S60 T6. This is obviously a problem anywhere but made even more prevalent by the hot southern climate I live in.

Firstly, after getting home from work one day, I noticed the radiator cooling fans were still on after I turned the car off and began to go inside. I didn’t think much of it as occasionally the fans had ran for just a moment after shutting the car off before. However they were running full blast, which was a little unusual. I came back outside 30 minutes later to check and they were still running.

I knew something was wrong but purely out of curiosity I let the fans run to see if they really were incapable of shutting off. 8 hours later checking on them they’re still going, though much slower because they’ve effectively drained my battery. The timeline from here is pretty diverse so I will try to keep it concise.

- Jump car, fans are off when car is on

- Turn car off again, fans start up full blast and refuse to turn off.

- Disconnect battery, reconnect, fans fire up instantly and continue to run up until I turn the car on.

- With car running, unplugged and replugged in the fan control module, heard a click, and the fans began running while the car was on.

- Turned the car off and back on to see if this was permanent. It was not. However now the fans would run for 15-30 seconds after shutting the car off and then they would shut off. Fans would run after turning car on for about 30 seconds but would shut off and not come back on until the car was shut off.

I know what you’re thinking. The fan control module needs to be replaced! So we popped out the radiator fans, took off the old module, installed the brand new one and....basically no change, if anything it gets worse.

- Took a 30 minute night drive as my test run. Fans didn’t kick on during the entire drive or after turning car off. Weird. This was at night but still in the upper mid 80s. There’s no way the engine was cool enough to not need the fans.

- Took a 30 minute drive the next morning and nothing. In fact, I was getting hot air in standstill traffic from the lack of fan cooling being applied to the coolant. Highway speeds would still provide cold air. After this drive, also, the fans would kick on briefly after shutting the engine off, and then would turn off about 20 seconds later.

- Every ride since then I’ve gotten 0 fan power, either before, during, or after a drive. Coolant levels are fine. Unplugged and replugged in the module multiple times. Nothing. We’re at the point now that I can’t seem to get cold air in the cabin no matter the conditions. I took a morning, highway drive for about 10 minutes at 80 degrees and the best I got was above room temperature air conditioning.

Any suggestions on what the cooling fan issue could be? We replaced the radiator just about a year ago and flushed the entire cooling system out as well. This issue didn’t seem to happen until that first day where the fans refused to shut off. Thanks guys.

TL;DR

Cooling fans have gone from working when car is off, to not at all. Fan module has been replaced and now it seems fans never turn on, no matter how hot the engine runs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JonahJ98 View Post

-Any suggestions on what the cooling fan issue could be?
      You need to see what temp and ac pressure signals are being sent to the control modules to make sure those are correct. Very easy to do - with VIDA and a DICE unit. Some expensive generic scanners might be able to pick up those signals - but VIDA offers so much more, for instance you can manually turn the fan on each speed -

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post

-Any suggestions on what the cooling fan issue could be?
      You need to see what temp and ac pressure signals are being sent to the control modules to make sure those are correct. Very easy to do - with VIDA and a DICE unit. Some expensive generic scanners might be able to pick up those signals - but VIDA offers so much more, for instance you can manually turn the fan on each speed -
      Would opt to do that, but I don’t have a windows laptop, VIDA software, or a DICE unit.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Would opt to do that, but I donít have a windows laptop, VIDA software, or a DICE unit.
      Gonna be hard to diagnose without a scan tool. I would suspect a faulty engine temperature sensor, which would have been easy to see had there been a temperature gauge on the dash. Do you have a OBDII scanner? That would tell you what the engine temperature sensor is reporting. From the wiring diagram it looks like there are two sensors that control the fan, coolant temperature and climate control pressure sensors. It's possible if either were faulty could cause the fan to run after the engine is shut off but I would start with the coolant temperature sensor.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 06-29-2020 at 05:30 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Would opt to do that, but I donít have a windows laptop, VIDA software, or a DICE unit.
      Then you have a choice, you can guess at what might be wrong and replace parts at random (which has already happened) or find someone who could diagnose the problem and replace only the part that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      it looks like there are two sensors that control the fan, coolant temperature and climate control pressure sensors. It's possible if either were faulty could cause the fan to run after the engine is shut off but I would start with the coolant temperature sensor.
      There's also an ambient temperature which on some cars (not sure about volvos though) has an effect on the ac system and consequently on the fan operation. is the outside temperature on the dash frozen or indicating odd numbers?

this is from a saab board:
      http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=2801

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Would opt to do that, but I don’t have a windows laptop, VIDA software, or a DICE unit.
      Gonna be hard to diagnose without a scan tool. I would suspect a faulty engine temperature sensor, which would have been easy to see had there been a temperature gauge on the dash. Do you have a OBDII scanner? That would tell you what the engine temperature sensor is reporting. From the wiring diagram it looks like there are two sensors that control the fan, coolant temperature and climate control pressure sensors. It's possible if either were faulty could cause the fan to run after the engine is shut off but I would start with the coolant temperature sensor.
      Replaced coolant temperature sensor, no fix. Was relatively cheap and easy so thought I’d give it a shot but unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

It is worth noting that sometimes as soon as I start the car, the fans kick on for a good 5 seconds but immediately start to slow/power down and do not come back on for the remainder of the drive. I also am unable to get any cool air to blow into the cabin under any circumstances...which started once I had problems with the cooling fans.

Does not have to be a laptop just win 7 pro+, a free Vida download is available on sweedspeed, and a dice unit is less than $100. Might be ultimately cheaper than the current guess, replace, and try again method currently being used. And you would have the factory service manual/diagnostics/parts catalog/wiring diagrams to solve other problems with.

You could get VIDA running and use it without a DICE unit to possibly get some insight into what might be wrong with your car.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements