2015.5. S60 Brake Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2015.5. S60 Brake Replacement

Hi!

I'm getting a grinding sound when coming to a stop. Assume it's pads grinding against the rotor, so I'll probably do those this next weekend.

Anybody have a link to a good replacement guide? I am getting too much conflicting information- some people say you need to rotate the rear piston when retracting it, others say no. And how do I deal with the electric parking brake with no VIDA?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have a look at Volvosweden excellent youtube video (and channel) on this specific job :
      https://youtu.be/QCp9LZ_sOeo

You can also do a search in this forum, LOTS of threads about rear brake replacement.
      Bright Silver 2015.5 V60, T6 3.0 AWD, P* tune, Simons Touring Catback, Eibach ProKit, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon

I just did a full brake replacement about a month ago. Really easy and straight forward. I don't know why people suggest hooking it up in reverse polarity to a 12v battery to retract it, just undo the (2) T27 screws and retract it by turning the center T40 clockwise (tightening), then reattach to the caliper. It will bottom out when its fully retracted, do not try to overtighten it, if you go the wrong way the piston will detach and the brake fluid will come out. Tightening is the correct direction as that "tightens" the ebrake piston.
      Also, I was able to retract the brake pistons using just a quick grip, no need for any special piston retract tool.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
      2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Premier Plus, Black Ember, Beachwood
      INSTALLED: TDI tuning box, PowerFlex "Race" Torque Bushing, StopTech Street brake pads, 300MM Centric fully coated rotors, 235/40/R18 Yokohama Advan Sport A/S, Ebay center console organizer, Fumoto oil drain valve, Liqui Moly 0w-20 oil, IPD end links, Heico SportIV suspension
      FUTURE:

Formally Owned:
      (Totalled, not by me) 2004 S60 T5 FWD: HD Bilstein suspension, 16" BBS SR wheels, Elevate cat-back exhaust, intake, Alpine speakers, IPD rear sway bar, IPD torque mount, poly subframe bushings, all LED lights

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, you don't need VIDA or a motor. Even the instructions that come in the Volvo pads box (if you buy an OE set) tell you to manually retract the piston.

The only concern with that is with the small Torx head screws being seized.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Raiden, turn off the console, now!

(Nice username )
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

For the back brakes, Yes, you can unbolt the motor and turn the screw, but one word of warning. There is an O-ring on the electric parking brake motor. Apply a little lubricant on the O-ring before re-inserting otherwise it will cause resistance and when you tighten the two bolts, it can cause one of the plastic ears to snap off and then you have to get a new electric parking brake motor. I know others have had that issue and I broke mine. Luckily I was able to source one on e-bay for under $100.00. For my other wheel, I just used a battery and had the motor withdraw the brake. It is pretty easy to do the battery method if you are decent with wiring. Other than the electric parking brake, it is the same as any other brake job.

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Yes, you don't need VIDA or a motor. Even the instructions that come in the Volvo pads box (if you buy an OE set) tell you to manually retract the piston.

The only concern with that is with the small Torx head screws being seized.
      Did mine last week. A couple of small additions to this already excellent collection of advice...

PB Blaster is an excellent penetrating oil that I've always used on rusty/crusty bolts. It served me well again on the parking brake motor screws. Remove the caliper/EPB assembly before removing the EBP motor. This will give you access to the back side (bottom) of the tapped holes for those little Torx screws (they are through-holes). This allows you to apply penetrating oil up at the screw head AND down at the bottom of the screw.

There is almost no wrench clearance between the T-30 screws and the EPB motor. My normal T-30 1/2" drive bit would not clear the motor. I went to the hardware store and purchased a long (~3") T-30 bit (the kind that you would normally use in a cordless screwdriver). This allows you to place a 1/4" socket or wrench on the bit with plenty of clearance. Make sure the bit is fully seated in the screw and the bit is accurately aligned with the screw before applying torque. They are tight!

Activate/de-activate the EBP after you've assembled everything to get the EPB motor to its happy place.

Congratulations. You just saved yourself about $500.
      Last edited by Dyno; Yesterday at 07:27 AM.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements