SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

alternator won't charge battery until engine is revved

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Baylorguyinsa 
#1 ·
I've got a 1993 944T with a weird electrical glitch. The car starts up fine, but the car power is at ~11.5V, and will stall out eventually if left to idle. Revving the engine kicks the alternator on and the car power jumps to ~13.5V. The drive belts are all new and set to the correct tension. Until a few months ago, the alternator would kick on around 2000 rpm. On one really wet/snowy day, it did not kick on at all. I replaced the alternator with a known working recently rebuilt unit from another vehicle, and now the car requires around 4500 rpm to kick the alternator on. Any ideas?

#4 ·
I've got a 1993 944T with a weird electrical glitch. The car starts up fine, but the car power is at ~11.5V, and will stall out eventually if left to idle. Revving the engine kicks the alternator on and the car power jumps to ~13.5V. The drive belts are all new and set to the correct tension. Until a few months ago, the alternator would kick on around 2000 rpm. On one really wet/snowy day, it did not kick on at all. I replaced the alternator with a known working recently rebuilt unit from another vehicle, and now the car requires around 4500 rpm to kick the alternator on. Any ideas?
Male sure your alternator light comes on when you turn the key. The alternator won't charge without it unless you rev to 3 or 4 thousand rpm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.