advice for a prospective buyer
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi all.

First let me say I really appreciate your input in this!

Option 1 is a 2012 S60 T6 polestar with 125k on board. Buyer is asking for $18000.
      Option 2 is a 2012 S60 T5 R design with 86k on board. Dealer is asking for $16000. FWD.

All other things being equal, service records, similar condition interior and exterior, which one would you choose and why... Given that they're getting closer to a reasonable age now, I'd like to know what you think how reliable and serviceable they are.

Many thanks,

A..
      Last edited by a14; 06-29-2020 at 12:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi! Hopefully we can help you out and answer any questions you’ve got. I hate to start on a negative note, but in my honest opinion, these are both overpriced.
      I’m assuming that the T6 is only P* tuned, and isn’t an R-Design (even if it was an RD, it’s still overpriced). I’d look at a ballpark figure around $11-15k for the T6, and $8-12k for the T5.
      Here are two examples of what these cars go for on average (literally searched for S60, 2012 MY, and these are the first two that popped up):

2012 S60 T6 RD:
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d.../?aff=vastresp
      85k mi, $14k

2012 S60 T5:
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d.../?aff=vastresp
      33k mi, $10.5k (this one, if it doesn’t have any issues, is a great price for only 33k mi)

They are both pretty reliable from what I’ve heard around the forums, but:
      - The early P3 T5 engines (around 2011-2012) had a problem with burning oil
      -Some of the transmissions (TF-80SC) in these cars had issues flaring in some gears, as well as overheating/becoming sluggish when driving the car hard
      - P3 owners should (and definitely will) chime in with other known problems these cars had; these two are just quickly off the top of my head

They are, in general, reliable, especially the T6 engine, and the updated AWD is much more responsive than the one that was found in the P2 cars. They’re solid cars, and will definitely make you happy. Just not at that price point!
      They aren’t that hard to work on, and there is a large number of videos and articles/posts on here with detailed explanations regarding various repairs, upgrades, etc. specific for these cars.
      Personally, I’d go with a T6, as it has the AWD, and has more upgrade and improvement potential (along with a much larger aftermarket upgrade variety to goose from) than the P3 FWD T5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by SilverStreak177; 06-29-2020 at 01:04 AM.
      2004 V70 T5M - Ruby Red Metallic/Lt. Taupe Sport/Sirius wheels/330k mi

For 18k you can get a much a newer S60 with far fewer miles. Like ‘16 with around 40k. Are you in the US??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      For 18k you can get a much a newer S60 with far fewer miles. Like ‘16 with around 40k. Are you in the US??
      Looked at OPs other posts, the pricing is Australian dollars. So, I'd assume that's fair pricing for over there. They definitely struck me as overpriced before also wondering if he was in the US.

I believe the 2012 T5s were the engines known to have the one of the idler pulleys fail, due to a poor design, which often results in the timing belt being shredded and the introduction of the valves to the pistons. If you get a 2012 T5, first thing you should do would be replace that idler pulley (it has been re-designed) for peace of mind. Others can chime in on specifically what part it is.

Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      I believe the 2012 T5s were the engines known to have the one of the idler pulleys fail, due to a poor design, which often results in the timing belt being shredded and the introduction of the valves to the pistons. If you get a 2012 T5, first thing you should do would be replace that idler pulley (it has been re-designed) for peace of mind. Others can chime in on specifically what part it is.
      Yes, there are also several reports of excessive oil consumption. If your going to get a T5, get a 2013 or later.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Hi all. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I took the polestar for a run this evening. And it is an RD. see here: https://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/18/...#slide-1838966

It was... ok. Bit heavy front end, but smooth and strong engine. Really nice brakes, I loved those. The quality of interior trim was disappointing though, I have a 2009 XC70 and its holding up better. A few odd things... year old alternator, newish front rotors (this one bugs me a bit, my 2.5 tonne XC hit 200k before needing new rotors in front) and a slightly rough idle, especially for an inline 6. Other than that seems to be up to have been serviced on time...

I'm torn about this car, even with its sporty engine. I'm pretty sure the T5 will not make the cut... I'm gonna make an offer tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Cheers!

On ours the alternator developed a pulley squeak at 70k, they replaced under warranty even though we were out of warranty. We went through 3 sets of Volvo rotors, all replaced under warranty, for a vibration. It was either warped or had pad deposits. It would occur like clockwork, every 24,000 miles. By the time the 3rd set developed the vibration, I switched to Akebono rotors and have had no problems for over 50,000 miles. Many people had this issue as well, the stock rotors are a definite weak spot. The alternator Im not sure if it was wider spread.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by s6013t5 View Post
      On ours the alternator developed a pulley squeak at 70k, they replaced under warranty even though we were out of warranty. We went through 3 sets of Volvo rotors, all replaced under warranty, for a vibration. It was either warped or had pad deposits. It would occur like clockwork, every 24,000 miles. By the time the 3rd set developed the vibration, I switched to Akebono rotors and have had no problems for over 50,000 miles. Many people had this issue as well, the stock rotors are a definite weak spot. The alternator Im not sure if it was wider spread.
      I bought the polestar, so i'll be around!

Thanks to all those who chimed in! cheers!

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements