2012 S60 Transmission Problems
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 S60 Transmission Problems

There seem to be some chatter here about it but wanted to raise some specific questions ...

So I had what was described here as the "driveway clunk" with more details here https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ing-into-Drive

About 6 months ago per recommendation here I took it to the dealer, had them set the car in Adaption Mode and that fixed the problem... However, the last 2-3 months I've been experiencing the "hill" issue: when I'm at a stop light on a hill, when I lift my foot off the brake pedal, the car doesn't engage right away but in a second or two engages very violently - the same was as it did when it had the "driveway clunk" issue.

Has any body been able to solve the issue? Maybe gotten it fixed under the warranty? My car has about 85K miles and it's now 9 years old.
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011, chassis number 050616

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yep...I had it....I totally replaced all of the fluid...added an auxiliary cooler in the front....and then used vida to reset the tranny.....it has shifted fine since..

Can you share more on adding the auxiliary cooler? I think I understand the rest

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      yep...I had it....I totally replaced all of the fluid...added an auxiliary cooler in the front....and then used vida to reset the tranny.....it has shifted fine since..
      Did you just reset the transmission service counter afterwards or did you go thru the complete adaptation process?
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

I reset the counter as I found out from experts on this site. I do not know about " adapting mode" .My understanding is that the tranny learns itself, but that is only with a new tranny installation only.....
      Installing an auxiliary cooler is/ was experimental because of having to deal with the "plastic" hard oil lines and the transmission thermostat that volvo uses.....and is never mentioned in any thread I read.....so I just couldn't recommend my install to anyone....but I have had no problems or leaks in 8500 miles.
      The unknown factor was how to splice into the " hard lines" ......So, i heated up the cut ends with a variable temp. heat gun and was able to insert those metal, barbed connectors. In afterthought, I should have warmed up the connectors also which might have made insertion easier, but regardless, they went in and hose clamps were used to secure the lines. I don't know how the factory accomplishes making up these lines, I'd sure like to know.....
      In all of my other vehicles, I used a hand pump to add new fluid to the return lines as the tranny pumps out the old fluid, engine running of course. But the thermostat arrangement wouldn't let me, so by knowing what the capacity is, I just added new fluid from the top through the fill hole until I got within like a quart and a half...stopped the engine, buttoned everything up, and then added fluid using the proper method ( vida) for correct fluid level....I bought extra quarts, just to be sure....
      The cooler is one you can get from various manufacturers, but I always get the high end ones, not the " tube" ones. Also, the front bumper cover, grill has to be removed,....and the hoses from the auxiliary cooler come around the side , so i had to " modify " a plastic part to allow the hoses to come through without rubbing .......you can't see it once everything is put back together.....I'm sorry, no step by step....

edited..I think I remember adapting mode is NOT recommended for fluid change...just for new installation.
      Last edited by jlh3rd; 06-30-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Wow, that's some creativity for you.

I'll definitely start with changing the trany fluid. I'll probably skip the cooling modification, though I definitely see that the problem is more evident when the engine is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post

I'll definitely start with changing the trany fluid.
      +1. It sounds like the level might be a tad low, even more so when you're on a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post
      Can you share more on adding the auxiliary cooler? I think I understand the rest
      Here is a video I found covering the install

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements