Anyone have any problems installing an aftermarket radio in their S60?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone have any problems installing an aftermarket radio in their S60?

I have a JVC KD-R690S single din radio from my old Nissan that I'd like to put into my '09 S60. I believe all I need to get is a dash kit and wiring harness. Is there anything else I need? And has anyone with an aftermarket radio had any issues? I heard that if you put in a new radio you need to go to the dealership and pay like $100 to have some software installed to avoid any lights popping up, is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The only other item you may need is an interface for your steering wheel controls. They are like 30$ US.

Greg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Only issue I had with my Pioneer double DIN install is a less than stellar radio reception.....even with a booster installed.
      2005 S60 2.5T FWD/ 350k+kms, Ruffino 18x8 Anthracite with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 235/40/18, Brembo Rotors/Pads, IPD Billet Trans Torque Mount, IPD Drop In Filter, Ultra Racing Upper Strut Tower Bar, LED Interior/ LED Parking Lights/Tag lights, Hikari Ultra LED/PIAA Headlights/Fogs, Sport Pedals, Pioneer AVH 4800BS, JL Audio Amp/Speakers/Sub. STOCK otherwise BUT..NEW Sachs struts and shocks all around

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I did a weird custom setup with an android tablet, DSP, and small amplifier a few years back. Nothing else needed except steering wheel module. Make sure to disconnect your battery before you start ripping the radio out as disconnecting the CCU harness will throw a fault code that you'll have to have a dealer clear for you (unless you have VIDA and a DICE module)

Which Volvo head unit do you have? I found the HU-6xx units sound ok overall, but the HU-8xx premium systems sound significantly better. Adding that JVC to a stock setup may not improve the sound at all over the OE setup.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C (for now), Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways F+R, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R Headlights - custom fuse box/wiring harness, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35. coming soon: KW V2, Delrin Subframe Bushings, Do88 Intercooler, Stage 2 Tune. HU-650+Bluetooth Grom+PA300+2xFocal ISS165+ACM-1.300+2x6.5" Dayton Rear Door Subwoofers.
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar - Custom Tube Frame Chassis, Fox Shocks, Pullrod Suspension, , Wilwood Calipers, Hoosier Slicks, Magnesium 2pc wheels... (full auto-x resto)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

Quote Originally Posted by broinkrist View Post
      I did a weird custom setup with an android tablet, DSP, and small amplifier a few years back. Nothing else needed except steering wheel module. Make sure to disconnect your battery before you start ripping the radio out as disconnecting the CCU harness will throw a fault code that you'll have to have a dealer clear for you (unless you have VIDA and a DICE module)

Which Volvo head unit do you have? I found the HU-6xx units sound ok overall, but the HU-8xx premium systems sound significantly better. Adding that JVC to a stock setup may not improve the sound at all over the OE setup.
      Definitely gonna disconnect the battery, I forgot to on my old car when changing the radio and I got an airbag light on my dash. I have the HU-650 and it sounds pretty good especially with the center speaker. I'm not necessarily looking for an increase in sound quality, I just really like layout/interface of the JVC radio and how the radio looks. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go for it though because it seems like a lot of work just to install a new radio compared to other cars, and I'm worried I'll lose the center speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the HU650 actually sounds pretty good overall considering it is the 'non-premium' system. I'm pretty sure the HU650 doesn't have a center speaker, although I've never actually looked under there.

I went down a major sound system upgrade in the family hauler a month or so ago and in the end, it was just a real PITA. Replaced head unit, steering wheel controls, amplifiers, DSP, new speakers all around, custom speaker adapters, subwoofer, custom wiring, running cables everywhere, etc. It sounds good for the price of everything (I had half the items from my old custom Volvo project), but was a major slippery slope.

It makes me want to redo the whole system in my T5 also, but the value addition and amount of work just doesn't justify the gain. Also it would add no value to the car, thus the dilemma.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C (for now), Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways F+R, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R Headlights - custom fuse box/wiring harness, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35. coming soon: KW V2, Delrin Subframe Bushings, Do88 Intercooler, Stage 2 Tune. HU-650+Bluetooth Grom+PA300+2xFocal ISS165+ACM-1.300+2x6.5" Dayton Rear Door Subwoofers.
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar - Custom Tube Frame Chassis, Fox Shocks, Pullrod Suspension, , Wilwood Calipers, Hoosier Slicks, Magnesium 2pc wheels... (full auto-x resto)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements